Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Anyone having issues with kodi 16 the last few days? I was using the xbmc version that came loaded on my minix U1 and the last few days its been unusable. Had it on 2 boxes and both were the same.
    Stuck on Kodi 17 from the play store today and (so far) everything is working like it used to again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Used 16 on 2 different devices over the last few days without issue.
    What was the problem you had .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Used 16 on 2 different devices over the last few days without issue.
    What was the problem you had .

That would be telling lol.
    Can't say what the problem was here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

Using 16 on my laptop but use SPMC on my Minix box, no issues with either. It might be the section of Kodi that you're using where the issue is. We'll leave it at that.... ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

.red. wrote: »
    That would be telling lol.
    Can't say what the problem was here.

Had some buffering issues "here" and "there"
    Then found out maintenance tools werent working (clear cache) so had to figure that one out.
    It has moved, quick google solved it for me and the buffering was no issue last night.

Probably not many here that can answer following as you probably dont use subs.... but where are these stored when you download them in Kodi?
    I used to open videofiles with BSplayer who automatically searched and downloaded subs and put them then in the same folder as your file is in.
    Since i am now streaming i dont really need to save them but there must be 100's of them now somewhere on my box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭batistuta9

probably in the temp folder if saving them at all.
    on your storage partition look around in android/data/kodi/...

else they might actually be in the folder for the addon you're streaming from

Overly happy with what i can do and am doing with that box.
    Still hate Android with a passion though :D

it's great on phones, on some of the boxes it's a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Any box similar to the mi box available with Ethernet port for internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Invincible

YourName wrote: »
    Any box similar to the mi box available with Ethernet port for internet?

Could you use a USB -> Ethernet adapter ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Invincible wrote: »
    Could you use a USB -> Ethernet adapter ?

Yep, I'm using one. They won't all work though so some homework required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted before-
    what's the cheapest Android box that kids (10 and 7) would be able to use?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

The recommendation by Levi on the previous page is a winner for me...

Its approx 75 euro but well worth it as it has android tv layout and kids can play the likes of angry birds, and other kid friendly games like it... while i can load on NES/SEGA/SNES etc emulators on it to play games via bluetooth controller.

If you buy a very cheap android box, you'll be driven insane eventually by the interface and the kids will too! :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102987632&postcount=3048

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Sappy404 wrote: »

Whats the one you are using Sappy404 and does it have extra usb hub ports?

Sappy404 wrote: »

Do they compare well to a proper ethernet connection?

Mate is thinking of buying Mi box but lack of ethernet is putting him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

inforfun wrote: »
    Had some buffering issues "here" and "there"
    Then found out maintenance tools werent working (clear cache) so had to figure that one out.
    It has moved, quick google solved it for me and the buffering was no issue last night.

Without going into detail, most people who suffering from buffering issues are usually people who don't do the usual maintenance or updating on their boxes. I'm not saying it's you, but a lot of people who are buying these boxes don't have a clue what they are buying or how to use them properly.

I'd always recommend clearing the cache in all your add ons along with using the Maintenance Tool to purge packages and clear maintenance when you shut it down each night. Along with keeping your "build" to a minimum to keep space free and using reliable add ons, that's the trick.

I don't blame him, I'd never buy a box without an Ethernet connection.

I wouldn't buy one either,it's a pity they left it out and it seems a strange move.Other than that the Mi seems the business.

I think he should keep looking for something in the same price range .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

BandMember wrote: »

I don't blame him, I'd never buy a box without an Ethernet connection.

I was worried that lack of Ethernet might be an issue for the pal I got the Mibox for..

Fortunately, he has a very stable connection on 5ghz WiFi, and has had no issue..
    Depends on your router, and where the box is to be located as to whether lack of Ethernet is a deal breaker, imo

BandMember wrote: »
    Without going into detail, most people who suffering from buffering issues are usually people who don't do the usual maintenance or updating on their boxes. I'm not saying it's you, but a lot of people who are buying these boxes don't have a clue what they are buying or how to use them properly.

I'd always recommend clearing the cache in all your add ons along with using the Maintenance Tool to purge packages and clear maintenance when you shut it down each night. Along with keeping your "build" to a minimum to keep space free and using reliable add ons, that's the trick.

none of that will help with buffering though :pac:

Never, ever recommend something that has no ethernet port to someone you know who hasnt a ****ing clue about wireless networking.

Take that from someone who is supporting a few devices that only have wifi.
    I am getting paid for it and i already want to sent some kill squads out every now and then.
    Friends expect you to help them out for free. At 10 pm Wednesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

inforfun wrote: »
    Never, ever recommend something that has no ethernet port to someone you know who hasnt a ****ing clue about wireless networking.

Take that from someone who is supporting a few devices that only have wifi.
    I am getting paid for it and i already want to sent some kill squads out every now and then.
    Friends expect you to help them out for free. At 10 pm Wednesday night.

If I could thank that post a thousand times i would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,455 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

inforfun wrote:
    Take that from someone who is supporting a few devices that only have wifi. I am getting paid for it and i already want to sent some kill squads out every now and then. Friends expect you to help them out for free. At 10 pm Wednesday night.

Maybe you need new friends and to tell your current friends to get lost. This is one of main reasons why I wouldn't get involved with these boxes, or others for that matter. It's just not worth the hassle

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Maybe you need new friends and to tell your current friends to get lost. This is one of main reasons why I wouldn't get involved with these boxes, or others for that matter. It's just not worth the hassle

I dont have friends.

It was more a general warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Agree about the lack of ethernet on the mi box, I've got one, working fine as I've it in same room as wifi, but I set it up down the hall thru several walls and struggled occassionally with wifi signal,

that said I will admit I didnt realise it had no ethernet (impulse buy) always had minix boxes, but starting to act up recently

add ethernet to it and I'd have a few in house for sure love its simplicity a must in houses with SWMBO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Agree about the lack of ethernet on the mi box, I've got one, working fine as I've it in same room as wifi, but I set it up down the hall thru several walls and struggled occassionally with wifi signal,

that said I will admit I didnt realise it had no ethernet (impulse buy) always had minix boxes, but starting to act up recently

add ethernet to it and I'd have a few in house for sure love its simplicity a must in houses with SWMBO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

whats the OS mi box, is it pure Android, with play store etc, or Google TV.  Do all normal Android apps run

Access wrote: »
    Whats the one you are using Sappy404 and does it have extra usb hub ports?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LLUEJFU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, extra USB. The box only uses USB 2 though, just FYI.

Compares fine I suppose. I don't exactly stream 4k stuff through it, but I just plugged it in and it worked.

Just FYI I've been having issues casting to the Mi Box both DLNA (from various 3rd party apps on multiple devices) and, less frequently, to YouTube. It's the same with wired or wireless connections. Have raised it with Xiaomi support. It's intermittent and fine for a while after a factory reset so I'm hoping for a software fix but the latest update did not resolve it and Xiaomi have asked where I bought it.

Xiaomi are refusing support for my streaming issue on the basis that I bought it from Geekbuying who aren't an authorized partner. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

For any of you that want more ideas and info on stuff like the limitations of using a lan adapter on a device like the Mi Box(using a USB 2.0 port) and much more Tips & Tricks.
    See threads like THIS ,will probably help some of you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Prob a stupid question but can I plug a usb into the Mi Box and play mkv files etc from it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

xtal191 wrote: »
    Prob a stupid question but can I plug a usb into the Mi Box and play mkv files etc from it?

There is a file manager built into Android and will see your files on USB. If it doesnt install MX Player or VLC player to view / play the MKVs

Advertisement