Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

k123456 wrote: »
    whats the OS mi box, is it pure Android, with play store etc, or Google TV.  Do all normal Android apps run

Android tv. Most android apps run from playstore... small amount of slightly older games have issues.

More info.... great review...

https://youtu.be/3wxTy_QW52U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

kleefarr wrote: »

Sold it for 50 in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone here using Nexbox A1 ?

Happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What does the Mi Box normally retail at?

Just got an email from Gearbest about a Xiaomi sale and the international version of the Mi is on sale for $75. I remember reading about it on this thread before but I'm on mobile at the minute so my search option is limited.

Edit: Nevermind i found it two pages back... My bad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Hi guys,
    Is there any good bricks and mortar shops around selling decent android boxes. Lots of Irish sites online but was hoping to get one by this weekend. Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Hi guys,
    Is there any good bricks and mortar shops around selling decent android boxes. Lots of Irish sites online but was hoping to get one by this weekend. Thanks all

You'd find one on adverts for sure

You'd find one on adverts for sure

Thanks, I presume second hand though. I'll have a look now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,455 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hi guys,

have you used kodi before?

from my own experience lookining in bricks n mortar they are usually charging way over the odds.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    have you used kodi before?

Yea but only as someone talked me through it. There is another app I might use. Found a few new ones on adverts I might go for, 1g ram/ 8g Rom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,455 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yea but only as someone talked me through it. There is another app I might use. Found a few new ones on adverts I might go for, 1g ram/ 8g Rom.

i normally recommend people to mess around with kodi first for a while on whatever devices they currently have as its not the most user friendly, before purchasing anything. according to many on this thread, get at least 2gb of ram or expect disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

yabadabado wrote: »
    from my own experience lookining in bricks n mortar they are usually charging way over the odds.

+1. Stay away from the bricks and mortar shops, they are selling absolute rubbish for huge mark ups. Avoid! There are some decent sellers on Adverts, if you know what you are looking for. I've bought a number of boxes from there, no complaints whatsoever.

No offence, but you really should read at least some of the thread first - there have been multiple posts about avoiding boxes with those specs. You're basically buying a problematic doorstop. If you want to throw your money away, I'll gladly take it though! :P :D

As others have said don't buy 1g box.

Are you really in that much of a panic to buy one ?
    I'd have a proper look first and see what you need/want and then if it's a case of needing it quick get from online store who deliver quick like amazon.Plenty of places that will get it to you in a few days
    You could buy from amazon and use free Prime membership and have a Fire TV to PM by tomorrow evening and probably have it delivered on Saturday.

Can buy from China but will take 2 weeks.

yabadabado wrote: »
    As other have said don't buy 1g box.

Are you really in that much of a panic to buyou one ?
    I'd have a proper look first and see what you need/want and then if it's a case of need it quick get from online store who deliver quick like amazon.Plenty of places that will get it to you in a few days
    You could buy from amazon and use free Prime membership and have a Fire TV to PM by tomorrow evening and probably have it delivered on Saturday.

Can buy from China but will take 2 weeks.

I'd agree with you about Amazon - you can sign up for a free month trial and have next day delivery with PM. However, I wouldn't go for a Firestick though. As other users have said, get a wired android box - it will work far better for you.

If you go take the China route, you could very well end up with a clone and get hit for Customs. Amazon or Adverts would be my advice, for whatever it's worth....

Not a firestick, Fire TV but was just using that as an example.No idea what op wants so just stuck that in to see how quick prime would have it delivered to PM.

Hundreds of options on amazon to choose from.

Got myself a nexbox for some very low-intensity gaming.

Has anyone any recommendations for a powered USB hub that I could use to hook a couple of gamepads up to it with? The USB ports on the box itself can barely power one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Got myself a nexbox for some very low-intensity gaming.

Has anyone any recommendations for a powered USB hub that I could use to hook a couple of gamepads up to it with? The USB ports on the box itself can barely power one!

If it has bluetooth, I would highly recommend one of these for (retro) gaming

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-NES30-Wireless-Controller-Android-x/dp/B013B61SCS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491468103&sr=8-2&keywords=8bitdo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Hi guys,

There are sellers on Adverts who are buying them new from China and reselling. I bought one recently (I have the same username on adverts, if you want to see who I bought from) and had it in my hands the same evening. The device was brand new.

They'll charge a bit more but you're paying to avoid waiting for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Does any one know if the older Amazon Fire tv supports Kodi 17.1?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does any one know if the older Amazon Fire tv supports Kodi 17.1?
    Thanks.

Do you need to change? I've a newer Fire TV and I'm running Kodi Isenguard

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Do you need to change? I've a newer Fire TV and I'm running Kodi Isenguard

When I switch it on I'm prompted to go to a website with details to update it for better performance.

When I switch it on I'm prompted to go to a website with details to update it for better performance.

I think I know what u are talking about but we aren't allowed mention it here.

Pass no heed on that for now,got that message a few days ago and all working fine still.

Everyone gets that pop up message when the version they are running has been placed by a newer version - just click "Dismiss". If what you have works for you, why change?

However, I was reading an article the other day (won't post a link here as I'm not sure that I can) but it looks like we'll have to upgrade to version 17 shortly because, in short, the add ons are being updated in such a way that they won't work with the older versions, which is a shame.

I'm expecting a glut of second hand android boxes running 4.4.2 to suddenly hit the usual local online sites very soon... :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Is it because the some addons are going to use a newer version of Python?

I've auto update addons turned off & it'll be staying off :D

Would the older version of the Fire tv support the 17.1 if I were to update, or would a new box be advisable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Hi,

I am looking for recommendations for an Android box for my father-in-law who's gen1 Rpi has finally given up the ghost.
    I set it up for him a couple of years ago and apart from having to reflash now and again for him, he liked it lots for watching movies etc which will be its main use.

So something cheap and cheerful that wont need any maintenance and self update (if possible) and easy remote control functions.

It will be wired connection as his router will be beside, so no wifi needed.

All recommendations welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Peckham wrote: »
    There was a similar question on this matter on this thread a good while ago, but asking again in case anyone has more up to date insights.

I have an “old†(i.e. 6 or 7 years old) Sony Bravia (KDL-40EX402). It’s a decent spec TV and full HD with HDMI inputs, but has a known problem with HDMI which means that it struggles with colour schemes, and gives intermittent problems with the screen adopting a purple/blue haze. Doesn’t happen all the time, but happens enough for it to be very annoying.

The only way to fix it is to set the input device to “Force RGBâ€. I do this in the settings of my Virgin Media box for example.

I recently purchased an Android box (MXQ-Pro), but this doesn’t allow me to change this setting.

I’ve done a google search to find out which boxes do allow this setting to be changed, but while I find a lot of people with similar problems, I can’t find a conclusive answer as to which box allows this. It seems to depend on Firmware updates for example.

Does anyone else have this same problem, and have it solved, or know of a box that will work?

Just in case anyone is in a similar predicament, here is a solution that is working for me.

I bought a Beelink GT1 that has the relevant setting in Display Settings (Colorspace>RGB).

It's a simple case of doing the following:
    1) Go into Display Settings. Change the Screen Resolution to 1080p-50hz
    2) Go into Display Settings. Go into Colorspace and change it to RGB

It needs to be done in that order, otherwise it doesn't seem to work.

Everything works perfectly after that with no green/purple haze appearing on the screen.

However, it doesn't seem possible to set the above as the default, so these changes need to be done each time the box is turned on.

So something cheap and cheerful that wont need any maintenance and self update

Doesn't exist. I would politely suggest that you are not looking for an android box but a different type of box on another forum. We can't speculate here, as per the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

BandMember wrote: »
    Doesn't exist. I would politely suggest that you are not looking for an android box but a different type of box on another forum. We can't speculate here, as per the thread title.

Ok, fair enough and i hear you.

one question; Would Amazon Fire TV get me most of the way (ie) low maintenance ?

• Advertisement

Ok, fair enough and i hear you.

one question; Would Amazon Fire TV get me most of the way (ie) low maintenance ?

Again, I think you're completely missing the point - if you want to use the Fire TV for the same thing as you would use an android box for (which we can't really discuss here) then you will have to do maintenance and updating on your device no matter one you choose.

Advertisement