Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

BandMember wrote: »
    Everyone gets that pop up message when the version they are running has been placed by a newer version - just click "Dismiss". If what you have works for you, why change?

However, I was reading an article the other day (won't post a link here as I'm not sure that I can) but it looks like we'll have to upgrade to version 17 shortly because, in short, the add ons are being updated in such a way that they won't work with the older versions, which is a shame.

I'm expecting a glut of second hand android boxes running 4.4.2 to suddenly hit the usual local online sites very soon... :pac::pac::pac:

A little bit of a suggestion for ones stuck on 4.4.2 ......Look into a fork of Kodi called FTMC.This will help you out.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

bazzz wrote: »
    A little bit of a suggestion for ones stuck on 4.4.2 ......Look into a fork of Kodi called FTMC.This will help you out.;)

Thanks for that. I must admit that I've never heard of that fork - I run SPMC myself as it works perfectly so happy days..

I am now going to pretend that I never saw your post because you are ruining my excuse for upgrading my current box to a shiny new one! Boooo bazzz!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Again, I think you're completely missing the point - if you want to use the Fire TV for the same thing as you would use an android box for (which we can't really discuss here) then you will have to do maintenance and updating on your device no matter one you choose.

OK thanks again for the reply.

Probably another stupid question; but is there an Android box that has an OS that facilitates remote access?

It would help immensly if any updates required for the father-in-laws device.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

OK thanks again for the reply.

Probably another stupid question; but is there an Android box that has an OS that facilitates remote access?

It would help immensly if any updates required for the father-in-laws device.

I suppose you could use Team Viewer to have remote access.I don't know how well it would work on a Android Box but it's very handy on PC .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

questio for you folks, i am thing very strongly of purchasing a pre configured vpn router, do to my dyslica etc, there is a cheapo one advertisedd on both fleabay and amazon, are they to be recomended, answers via pm in case of breaching the charter etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Can anyone recommend a decent android box that will run Kodi smoothly for around the 60 quid mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

username?! wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent android box that will run Kodi smoothly for around the 60 quid mark?

Indeed.
    Same question from me.
    I have an old MX3 / 2gb machine.
    Running perfectly well, but I want to be reasdy for when it is no longer supported.
    All I want is something as reliable as this was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Yes, been using it for a while on 4.4.2 (Minimum 4.4.0) Android boxes and it is sweet.

username?! wrote: »
    vectra wrote: »
    Indeed.
    Same question from me.
    I have an old MX3 / 2gb machine.
    Running perfectly well, but I want to be reasdy for when it is no longer supported.
    All I want is something as reliable as this was.

This isn't a recommendation but I was looking at a Nexbox A1 for a friend a few weeks back and it seems to tick most boxs.
    I asked about it here but didn't get a reply.

Might be worth looking into,it was around €60 at the time via Chinese sellers.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Yes, been using it for a while on 4.4.2 (Minimum 4.4.0) Android boxes and it is sweet.

I thnk I may end up trying this.
    I want to get a new box but pass this one on to my son.
    I suppose it should last him a while if I used that on it.
    Just in lazymode at the moment and couldnt be Ar$ed removing Kodi and extras and re installing them all again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

I don't think that everyone should panic on upgrading their boxes - if it ain't broke, why fix it?? Besides, the reports on Kodi 17 are not good and I haven't seen many (if any) who actually like it. Personally, I use SPMC on an android 4.4.2 and it runs like a dream! I will continue to use it until the box finally gives up the ghost in another year or two.

To be fair though, I've had it 3 years now and it's been flat out for hours every day so I have got more than my moneys worth for it...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Just in lazymode at the moment and couldnt be Ar$ed removing Kodi and extras and re installing them all again :)

The Backup addon is the job for that..

UsedToWait wrote: »
    The Backup addon is the job for that..

Would you care to message me?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

I don't think that everyone should panic on upgrading their boxes - if it ain't broke, why fix it?? .... Personally, I use SPMC on an android 4.4.2 and it runs like a dream! I will continue to use it until the box finally gives up the ghost in another year or two

A bit sooner than you think, sadly. Using Jarvis 16.5.0 and later on SPMC, will need Lollipop (and a non-Rockchip box) from now on according to Koying:
    Jarvis
    As far as I'm concerned, Nvidia Shield has basically cornered the market, so is my main development device. More generally, Android TV devices, amlogic devices and Amazon FireTV might be getting some love ;)
    Important: No more Rockchip specific support as of this version

Note 1: As of 16.5.0, Android lollipop (API 21) is required

http://spmc.semperpax.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Would you care to message me?

I don't think there's anything untoward about this add-on - it's in the Kodi repository, under programme addons if I remember correctly..

You can use it to backup your kodi setup, eg to USB, and if you buy a new box, just restore your backup over a virgin kodi install...

styron wrote: »
    A bit sooner than you think, sadly. Using Jarvis 16.5.0 and later on SPMC, will need Lollipop (and a non-Rockchip box) from now on according to Koying:

Or maybe read a few post back literally on the same page......Regarding FTMC:rolleyes:

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything untoward about this add-on - it's in the Kodi repository, under programme addons if I remember correctly..

You can use it to backup your kodi setup, eg to USB, and if you buy a new box, just restore your backup over a virgin kodi install...

That's an official legal addon already in the Kodi Official Repo,so no rules being broken.Works well most of the time.

OR

You can also just copy the Kodi folder to a USB Stick/HDD and copy it to any other Android device.So that allows you to safely keep a backup stored away and a quick option for configuring other devices with Kodi/Spmc.

So on whatever other Android device you want to setup:

1 : Just install a fresh(regular blank) Kodi and launch it once and close it.

2 : If your backup was built using a specific skin,it can help to have that skin installed on the fresh Kodi beforehand.

3 : So using a File Manager just copy the backup Kodi Folder to the Fresh populated(because you ran it once) Folder.Tell it to replace all current files,
    if it asks.

4 : Now once you boot up the fresh Kodi again,it should be fully setup.

Hope that helps and you can make sense of it:) It's a very simple method and
    you'll always have a backup kept safe.

Excellent
    Thanks guys
    Makes it seem a bit easier.
    Could that backup from my KOdi be put into the folder of a feesh install of
    SPMC
    or
    FTMC?

Or am I being Lazy again :D

Excellent
    Thanks guys
    Makes it seem a bit easier.
    Could that backup from my KOdi be put into the folder of a feesh install of
    SPMC
    or
    FTMC?

Or am I being Lazy again :D

No problem you are welcome.
    The whole idea of copying the Kodi Folder or using one of the backup tools,is....You can try it as you wish on other Android devices and various Branches/Forks of Kodi(SPMC/FTMC).
    You can use it on other operating systems,but depending on how deep you customised your own setup.You might need to set special paths,for your customisations.Due to the fact of different file systems/folder structure.

The main point being that you'll have a safe backup,you can restore to.If things go "Tits Up" or break.Cheers;)

My U9 arrived today .Had a quick play around with it updated firmware etc.
    Seems a good step up from old box.
    Very impressed with the A3,mightnt be worth the price but it does a very good job.

• Advertisement

No problem you are welcome.
    The whole idea of copying the Kodi Folder or using one of the backup tools,is....You can try it as you wish on other Android devices and various Branches/Forks of Kodi(SPMC/FTMC).
    You can use it on other operating systems,but depending on how deep you customised your own setup.You might need to set special paths,for your customisations.Due to the fact of different file systems/folder structure.

The main point being that you'll have a safe backup,you can restore to.If things go "Tits Up" or break.Cheers;)

Did the backup
    Deleted Kodi and contents
    Installed FTMC
    Did a restore from the backup
    Everything is hunky dory.
    I seem to feel it is snappier than Kodi.
    Might be my imagination.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Did the backup

Thanks

I think it's snappier as well and more tidy. It nice. :D

Did the backup
    Deleted Kodi and contents
    Installed FTMC
    Did a restore from the backup
    Everything is hunky dory.
    Might be my imagination.
    Thanks

Nice one,glad you got it sorted.You have a safe backup option for future use;)Plus FTMC will give 4+ devices a current decent solution.Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

I'm on android 4.2.2 and rockchip

I think FTMC needs 4.4 ,is there any other option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I have had the Mi Box 3 for a few weeks now and its great.

Its tiny and the remote is great that its BT as you can hide away the box. The wifi can cause a few buffering issues on very large files at the start, but this is down to me having it so far away from our router (has anyone tried those usb ethernet hubs to wire it into the network instead? - do they work better?)

The menu is fluid and responsive and customization great, you can put your playstore apps in whatever order you want on the screen.

One thing i cant seem to do is to be able to make other sideloaded apps appear on the home menu. They seem to stay in the setting ->apps menu and no way of moving them or copying them to the home menu. Has anyone been able to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

Access wrote: »
    I have had the Mi Box 3 for a few weeks now and its great.

Its tiny and the remote is great that its BT as you can hide away the box. The wifi can cause a few buffering issues on very large files at the start, but this is down to me having it so far away from our router (has anyone tried those usb ethernet hubs to wire it into the network instead? - do they work better?)

The menu is fluid and responsive and customization great, you can put your playstore apps in whatever order you want on the screen.

One thing i cant seem to do is to be able to make other sideloaded apps appear on the home menu. They seem to stay in the setting ->apps menu and no way of moving them or copying them to the home menu. Has anyone been able to do that?

I also have the mibox. Only negative is that the play store seems limited. Not all apps appear and no browser to download apps from unknown sources

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Carroller wrote: »
    I also have the mibox. Only negative is that the play store seems limited. Not all apps appear and no browser to download apps from unknown sources

Yes... very limited as there are only a limited amount of apps for android tv at the moment. I have gotten around this by using the browser in ES file explorer though, and by side loading "other" apps

I'm on android 4.2.2 and rockchip

I think FTMC needs 4.4 ,is there any other option

Try search online for CEMC or in the PlayStore,will run on 4.2 + .This is another Fork of Kodi 16.1 Jarvis,with all the essentials from Kodi 17....HTTPS support etc,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Looking to update my android box, the one I have can't be updated and am giving it to parents. Found this and looks good , anybody heard of them.
    T8 V TV Box

• Advertisement

Just a quick look at the link and it seems over priced.
    I got the U9 for a similar price from Gearbest.

Advertisement