Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think that's it but I have never had any problems with customs when I used PM.

How many times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

They refuse to take it i think

That used to be the case but they changed that, providing they get prior notice

Yes you can shop anywhere in the world and use your Parcel Motel address as your delivery address. However, if you are buying goods from outside the EU please be aware that depending on the value of the item, they may be subject to Customs VAT & Duty Charges. These charges will need to be paid before the carrier will deliver your parcel to Parcel Motel. If the carrier informs us that they have a parcel on hold and they give us the correct details (your name and PMID) we will contact you with the relevant information so that you can organise payment. Parcel Motel does not accept responsibility for any parcels returned to the sender due to unpaid Customs and Excise duties and cannot pay charges on your behalf. We would also recommend that you track your overseas parcel so that you can see if your parcel is being held by Customs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

How many times?

At least 10 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

NATLOR wrote: »
    That used to be the case but they changed that, providing they get prior notice

Yes you can shop anywhere in the world and use your Parcel Motel address as your delivery address. However, if you are buying goods from outside the EU please be aware that depending on the value of the item, they may be subject to Customs VAT & Duty Charges. These charges will need to be paid before the carrier will deliver your parcel to Parcel Motel. If the carrier informs us that they have a parcel on hold and they give us the correct details (your name and PMID) we will contact you with the relevant information so that you can organise payment. Parcel Motel does not accept responsibility for any parcels returned to the sender due to unpaid Customs and Excise duties and cannot pay charges on your behalf. We would also recommend that you track your overseas parcel so that you can see if your parcel is being held by Customs

Does that mean there's a risk you could lose your money?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

john4321 wrote: »
    I would go with the Mibox 4K if you are not using it for gaming and save €120. I have both the Shield and Mibox both run K0di really well and both are running Android 7.

Hey I took your advice and bought a Mi Box "almost new" on adverts for €65. Figured it was better to try first hand and sell it on if it doesnt suit my needs.

I love the interface/UI compared to my old Minix, much more intuitive for my other half. Also, Kodi and Plex (player) run super smoothly.

The main issue I found is that there is a very limited selection of apps on Google Play. Can't find RTE Player, iPlayer, NowTV. I knew I had to sideload certain apps (e.g. Amazon Prime Video) but I though the more popular OTT ones would be on there. Is it related to where my Google account is domiciled?

The second one (which is related to the 1st) is that it's hard to find specific advice/solutions/work-arounds on Google because searching "Android TV"+whatever brings up stuff related to generic android TV boxes (mostly), android televisions and a few of these proper Android TV devices like the Shield and Mi Box. Any advice on whether there is a code name for Android version or something like that?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Hey I took your advice and bought a Mi Box "almost new" on adverts for €65. Figured it was better to try first hand and sell it on if it doesnt suit my needs.

I love the interface/UI compared to my old Minix, much more intuitive for my other half. Also, Kodi and Plex (player) run super smoothly.

The main issue I found is that there is a very limited selection of apps on Google Play. Can't find RTE Player, iPlayer, NowTV. I knew I had to sideload certain apps (e.g. Amazon Prime Video) but I though the more popular OTT ones would be on there. Is it related to where my Google account is domiciled?

I don't own a Mi Box,but the app situation should be more or less similar to the Shield.....So any apps I need that are not on the Android TV Play Store/ third party Appstores ,I either sideload or push from my PC and use a mouse,etc if needed to navigate the UI.I also use Sideload Launcher as the App drawer for non Android TV format apps.

The second one (which is related to the 1st) is that it's hard to find specific advice/solutions/work-arounds on Google because searching "Android TV"+whatever brings up stuff related to generic android TV boxes (mostly), android televisions and a few of these proper Android TV devices like the Shield and Mi Box. Any advice on whether there is a code name for Android version or something like that?

When searching just add "Android TV OS" that should narrow it down a bit for you.

Cheers

Hope that helps a bit.

bazzz wrote: »
    Hope that helps a bit.

Just a quick follow up question: so its normal that I can find RTE Player, iPlayer etc on the Android TV OS Play store? I just have to find the apk and sideload them? Nothing to do with my google settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Just a quick follow up question: so its normal that I can find RTE Player, iPlayer etc on the Android TV OS Play store? I just have to find the apk and sideload them? Nothing to do with my google settings?

Mostly yes.If they are not yet formatted for Android TV.They're not in the Official Play Store.Then you can try places like the Aptiode Store and if not there use the sideload APK method.
    There are programs out there that do some conversion for Regular Android Store Apps.They make it so the Apps will appear in the natural App Drawer on Android TV OS and easier to use.See Here for a prime example.Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 amaw1411

Hi, Ive just signed up and read so many things I'm so confused... what is the best box and where to order from?

I was looking at the H96 on androdtv dot i.e. as its 3gram and 32

My needs are basic, kodi, sports & movies no games.

Looking for someone to just tell me this is what to get.... am willing to spend up to 150 but obviously best bang for bucks :)

hi there, did you find anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Which suppliers would you recommend on Amazon or eBay, looking to get a box? Don't need it for gaming just television purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

JamboMac wrote: »
    Which suppliers would you recommend on Amazon or eBay, looking to get a box? Don't need it for gaming just television purposes.

I'd say that you're pretty much sorted with anyone on Amazon in terms of buyer protection as most are either official or genuine sellers. I only know one person who got caught out but we both knew that the price was too good to be true but he took a punt anyway because he knew that he'd get his money back from Amazon anyway (which he did).

However, eBay is something that each person will have to judge for themselves...

Which box is a good future proof one most look pretty much identical specs just a different case.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Found this, handy if you are just looking for device to use only Kodi
    http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

would you have to pay customs on that?

amaw1411 wrote: »
    would you have to pay customs on that?

I don't think so as the price is below what you need to pay on same with delivery is probably a 5 and that needs to be quite high to them bother charging you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I don't think so as the price is below what you need to pay on same with delivery is probably a 5 and that needs to be quite high to them bother charging you.

No customs but 23% VAT plus handling charge if over €22 and under €150

NATLOR wrote: »
    No customs but 23% VAT plus handling charge if over €22 and under €150

Chinese tend to mark them a lot cheaper, wouldn't think an post would be bothered. Got some leds which cost roughly 150 and that was it no Vat, not saying you definitely won't but the odds are against you getting charged. Most of these places post to central place in Europe and then distribute from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

I'm not sure what the original question about what customs being applied to was, but I got caught for customs before and it was a cheap box. The lads in An Post also charge a "handling fee" of €14 which goes on top of customs, so you could end up paying the equivalent as a more local seller... Not sure what they are like at the moment, but they were definitely targeting these boxes at one point as loads of people were getting stung for the extra charges. It's all down to luck I suppose...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Its mad that most of the peeps who would be over on the HTPC and media center forum a few years back (which is now a ghost town) on boards are now here.

The tech has gotten so much cheaper and instead of running power hungry desktops and mini pcs, we are running very eco, low cost machines.

The Mi box i bought was half the price i originally paid for just the graphics card for my old media center! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

BandMember wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the original question about what customs being applied to was, but I got caught for customs before and it was a cheap box. The lads in An Post also charge a "handling fee" of €14 which goes on top of customs, so you could end up paying the equivalent as a more local seller... Not sure what they are like at the moment, but they were definitely targeting these boxes at one point as loads of people were getting stung for the extra charges. It's all down to luck I suppose...

Handling fee for An Post is only €7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Just got one of those two weeks ago. Good for movies, TV shows. Not great for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Good for movies, TV shows. Not great for sport.

Why is it good for Movies and TV but not for sport do you mind me asking?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Why is it good for Movies and TV but not for sport do you mind me asking?

They break when you try to kick them in a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

inforfun wrote: »
    They break when you try to kick them in a goal.

I'd guess he is talking about "Links" for Sport not working rather than the box itself not been good for Sports.

If the box played Movies and TV Shows well it should also be able to handle Sport.

Found this, handy if you are just looking for device to use only Kodi
    http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Great link... should be automatically posted every time somebody starts a post with "what is the best box at the moment..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Access wrote: »
    Its mad that most of the peeps who would be over on the HTPC and media center forum a few years back (which is now a ghost town) on boards are now here.

The tech has gotten so much cheaper and instead of running power hungry desktops and mini pcs, we are running very eco, low cost machines.

The Mi box i bought was half the price i originally paid for just the graphics card for my old media center! :)

I've an artiic M0001 still running strong. I use it with LibreElec lastest version and never an issue even 1080p,

I also have a small android box (cheap ebay one) and a chromecast but I'll probably move to a decent android box soon and retire the HTPC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'd guess he is talking about "Links" for Sport not working rather than the box itself not been good for Sports.

If the box played Movies and TV Shows well it should also be able to handle Sport.

Of course.
    But discussing that will mean entering dangerous territory.

I have the 2gb\16gb of that beelink and i like it.

Advertisement