Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

inforfun wrote: »
    Of course.
    But discussing that will mean entering dangerous territory.

I have the 2gb\16gb of that beelink and i like it.

Fully agree, hence the term "Links".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Went with this box, I'll let you know if it's a crap fest.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M8KYDBJ?psc=1&smid=A16IEBS7AQ2687

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There was a new judgement by the European Court of Justice on Kodi boxes in the last day or two. It was about the sale of boxes with preinstalled add-on's, and found that this can be a breach of copyright law. The case involved a Dutch website selling boxes.

Nothing about viewing of the line of thinking that streaming itself is not illegal, but will help in the clampdown on sale of "fully-loaded" boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Read an article about that, it wasn't immediately clear what impact it was going to have. As you say it was regarding fully loaded boxes but hadn't amazon already blocked their sale before this anyway?

The box I bought off amazon came with absolute rubbish installed which I had to remove, would be much better if they didn't fill them with bloat.

Kodi is just a streaming service and not in itself illegal, it's the add ons people choose. Some of those add on can be perfectly legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

JamboMac wrote: »
    Kodi is just a streaming service and not in itself illegal, it's the add ons people choose. Some of those add on can be perfectly legal.

That's not correct at all and a lot of these articles have really got it wrong,in regards Kodi
    Kodi is
    Kodi (formerly XBMC) is a free and open source media player application developed by the XBMC/Kodi Foundation, a non-profit technology consortium. Kodi is available for multiple operating-systems and hardware platforms, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls. It allows users to play and view most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the internet.
    Taken from the Official Site
    Just Saying;) It's a little off-topic,but linked in a sense:p

bazzz wrote: »
    That's not correct at all and a lot of these articles have really got it wrong,in regards Kodi
    Kodi is Taken from the Official Site
    Just Saying;) It's a little off-topic,but linked in a sense:p

I'm confused what you just stated what is kodi from the official site basically say's its a streaming service, that doe's not mean it has to be sky sport's etc. I'm not even sure what your saying.

It's a way to share media services, this does not mean those services have to illegal.

Not sure what your saying, can you clarify?

JamboMac wrote: »
    I'm confused what you just stated what is kodi from the official site basically say's its a streaming service, that doe's not mean it has to be sky sport's etc. I'm not even sure what your saying.

It's a way to share media services, this does not mean those services have to illegal.

Not sure what your saying, can you clarify?

Kodi is not a service of any type.It's a "free and open source media player application" = Software Application ! That's a very big difference and especially in the context of those poorly sourced/written articles.

bazzz wrote: »
    Kodi is not a service of any type.It's a "free and open source media player application" = Software Application ! That's a very big difference and especially in the context of those poorly sourced/written articles.

What articles?

I'm basing my opinion on the report I did for college on this service.

Is kodi a service yes, which helps you link to media devices. Is it a closed system no.

Can you link other services to it yes. Are some of those illegal. Can you just stream the content of your gaming device for others to watch yes.

I'm confused why you brought up debate on semantics.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Service_add-ons

I'm not debating anything,I'm just correcting you.

Kodi is Software full stop.When you install Kodi on anything,

it comes as a base Media Player(nothing installed).There's an official Repository Linked as a source,that's Kodi.

You can do what you want with Kodi from there.You might use addons,local media,Retro Gaming,etc,etc.
    Nothing else not a service.Addons are a seperate thing and third party addons are nothing to do with Kodi at all.

But exist.That's all I'm saying on it.Sorry if I've come across like I was having a go at you or anything along the lines.I wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Kodi is a media player. The services on Kodi are add-ons to the Kodi media player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Nothing about viewing of the line of thinking that streaming itself is not illegal, but will help in the clampdown on sale of "fully-loaded" boxes.

Seems streaming now is illegal
    http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/797734/Kodi-Ban-European-Court-Ban
    STREAMING copyrighted content to a Kodi Box – or another third-party set-top device – without the right holders' permission is now ILLEGAL, following a shock ruling by the EU's highest court.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The first thing I do with those fully loaded boxes is wipe them and start from scratch.The sellers literally put every add on and source they can find on them,very quickly people find the boxes running slow and eventually not work at all.
    It's gas,there was an article on The Journal about isps blocking certain streaming sites yet in the comments section about a dozen alternative sites and proxies were named.
    People don't even need "a Kodi box" to access content,I know many who cast from phones to the TV.
    Its a bit like selling people a fast car,we know it can do 200 kph but we aren't meant to drive that fast but of course people are going to be tempted to test the limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Good for movies, TV shows. Not great for sport.

Why is it good for Movies and TV but not for sport do you mind me asking?
    Sorry I'm away with limited connection.

I have watched a few films perfectly, same with TV shows. The few matches I have tried to watch done my head in. Too much buffering. And I have strong Wi-Fi too. I don't know the jargon so I only use the links loaded on the box. Something called sly sports in the Kodi(qodi) section.

Happy enough. Only cost 60 Euro. Oh buy a mouse if you are buying it. Very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Delete the name of that addon Ken please , we really don't want this thread locked .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Sorry I'm away with limited connection.

I have watched a few films perfectly, same with TV shows. The few matches I have tried to watch done my head in. Too much buffering. And I have strong Wi-Fi too. Happy enough. Only cost 60 Euro. Oh buy a mouse if you are buying it. Very handy

The Wifi has absolutely nothing to do with your streams buffering​ in this situation. I suggest a little more research is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

BandMember wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the original question about what customs being applied to was, but I got caught for customs before and it was a cheap box. The lads in An Post also charge a "handling fee" of €14 which goes on top of customs, so you could end up paying the equivalent as a more local seller... Not sure what they are like at the moment, but they were definitely targeting these boxes at one point as loads of people were getting stung for the extra charges. It's all down to luck I suppose...

Yes I found that to be the case I had a good few stopped different orders a while back was ordering for family friends they were Kii pro hybrid boxes sat/android great little box
    aliexpress seller marked down value of them but customs wanted invoices paypal receipts website links so it got really complicated
    Had to use DHL and pay some charges but arrived quicker and not so strict

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Lads have the Nvidia Shield now for slightly over a month, so I thought bi would post a short review on it.

First up, it's tiny, I mean really tiny, it's slightly bigger than my phone (S6edge plus) and is very well defined, with some nice edges and grooves. The led light across the face when the device is powered on looks great too.

The remote that comes with it is a fairly well designed and sturdy piece of equipment, it comes with a dedicated Google voice search button, a directional/select pad, and a home button. It also can set volume controls for the device and TV simultaneously by just gliding your finger up or down the remote, nice touch I thought.

The games controller that comes with it is also made to a high standard, has all the expected buttons you would find on a modern day console, it also has a home button, and you can set volume control by a finger glide like the remote.

The device itself just feels superior to my other android boxes, here - everything just seems to work flawlessly without the need to hack, or find work arounds to, the built in chromecast is a godsend (handy for streaming video from your phone etc), kodi etc works well, but no better or worse than my other android boxes.

I have an app downloaded which allows me to select and play virtually any game, for any platform ever made, up to play station, Sega dreamcast etc, right the way back to Atari / spectrum etc via emulators, the game controller really comes into its own in this regard. I have recently been playing such beauts as super tennis, pilotwings and Mario world (SNES) to. Shinobi on the Sega master systems, to Turok the dinosaur hunter, and crazy taxi on the n64, and dreamcast respectively. Not sure if I'm allowed to name the app, so am going to apply.common sense. :P

Yes, they're pricy (£180stg) and although I somehow received mine free, I am actually considering getting another one for my bedroom.

Anyone who has seen mine in operation loves it.

If you're debating on purchasing. My advice is to take the plunge. Solid device, pleasure to use, pleasure to look at.

Any questions ref the app, send a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Lads have the Nvidia Shield now for slightly over a month, so I thought bi would post a short review on it.

First up, it's tiny, I mean really tiny, it's slightly bigger than my phone (S6edge plus) and is very well defined, with some nice edges and grooves. The led light across the face when the device is powered on looks great too.

The remote that comes with it is a fairly well designed and sturdy piece of equipment, it comes with a dedicated voice search button, a directional/select pad, and a home button. It also can set volume controls for the device and TV simultaneously by just gliding your finger up or down the remote, nice touch I thought.

The games controller that comes with it is also made to a high standard, has all the expected buttons you would find on a modern day console, it also has a home button, and you can set volume control by a finger glide like the remote.

The device itself just feels superior to my other android boxes, here, everything just seems to work flawlessly without the need to hack, or find work arounds to, the built in chromecast is a godsend, kodi etc works well, but no better or worse than my other android boxes.

I have an app downloaded which allows me to select and play virtually any game, for any platform ever made, up to play station, Sega dreamcast etc, right the way back to Atari / spectrum etc via emulators, the game controller really comes into its own in this regard. I have recently been playing such beauts as super tennis, pilotwings and Mario world (SNES) to. Shinobi on the Sega master systems, to Turok the dinosaur hunter, and crazy taxi on the n64, and dreamcast respectively. Not sure if I'm allowed to name the app, so am going to apply.common sense. :P

Yes, they're pricy (?180) and although I somehow received mine free, I am actually considering getting another one for my bedroom.

Anyone who has seen mine in operation loves it.

If you're debating on purchasing. My advice is to take the plunge. Solid device, pleasure to use, pleasure to look at.

Any questions ref the app, send a pm.

I bought 3 of them for sitting room and 2 bedrooms. Whole family loves them and main source of telly with kodi, netflix, stbEmu and casting of apps. Haven't even played a game on them yet though but they're the best buy I've ever made to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I bought 3 of them for sitting room and 2 bedrooms. Whole family loves them and main source of telly with kodi, netflix, stbEmu and casting of apps. Haven't even played a game on them yet though but they're the best buy I've ever made to be honest.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Best little device I've ever owned.

• Advertisement

jonski wrote: »
    Delete the name of that addon Ken please , we really don't want this thread locked .

Hell I knew I shouldn't have come in here. I'm in over my head...sorry guys

jonski wrote: »

Hell I knew I shouldn't have come in here. I'm in over my head...sorry guys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I was using a Nexbox A95 and was having dark screen issues, in dark parts of shows it was very hard to see, i've just bought a T95 Mini 8S Pro, having set it up i'm having the same issue

Is there a simple fix for the darkness??

scudzilla wrote: »
    I was using a Nexbox A95 and was having dark screen issues, in dark parts of shows it was very hard to see, i've just bought a T95 Mini 8S Pro, having set it up i'm having the same issue

Is there a way to change video output?

Usually dead pixels are more to do with the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

scudzilla wrote: »

Its a firmware issue.
    Cheap box, no support, ****e firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Bootvideo workaround on Nexbox forum and a couple of other suggestions have had some success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Has anybody successfully added a second tuner connection via usb to a hybrid android/dvb-t/dvb-s box of any description? Im tempted by the wetek play 2 but whats putting me off is having to switch between satellite or terrestrial and not having both at the same time. I could be swayed if adding a usb tuner wasnt too cumbersome. Does any brand of box even exist where it can incorporate all three functions concurrently out of the box? Cant seem to find any. Thanks in advance.

Ok so the box i bought which i will receive tomorrow have sent me a link to frequently asked question's. One of which is how do i update the android version and the reply to this is don't, if the box is working don't bother. To me this seems like a potential red flag of a clone.

Are their any known clones which you should steer clear of?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Has anybody successfully added a second tuner connection via usb to a hybrid android/dvb-t/dvb-s box of any description? Im tempted by the wetek play 2 but whats putting me off is having to switch between satellite or terrestrial and not having both at the same time.
    Is this of any use to ye; http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/345/tutorial-using-w-scan-on-dvb-t-t2-c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Advertisement