Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Nah it wont work. Tried changing the settings on another tv where it did work and when i brought it back in to the other tv it still didn't work. 3 different hdmi cables and still no joy.
    Connected up a media player with the hdmi and it worked on that same tv.
    Baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Right lads finally got paid so time to order a box. What is the final decision ? The one sold on amazon reccomend by Daytob or the Pipo X8, only 32g left in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Right lads finally got paid so time to order a box. What is the final decision ? The one sold on amazon reccomend by Daytob or the Pipo X8, only 32g left in stock.

In have both, and they are both amazing machines.

It would be very difficult to choose between them, but for me, I think just for the smoothness of Kodi on windows and the ability to use it as a tablet (if you're near a power source), the pipo might have the edge.

In saying that, the android box quick boot up, and the amount of stuff preinstalled makes it attractive too.

There's also about twenty quid in the difference in them if memory serves me.

Verdict = very very close, but the pipo has it by about a whisker.

In have both, and they are both amazing machines.

It would be very difficult to choose between them, but for me, I think just for the smoothness of Kodi on windows and the ability to use it as a tablet (if you're near a power source), the pipo might have the edge.

In saying that, the android box quick boot up, and the amount of stuff preinstalled makes it attractive too.

There's also about twenty quid in the difference in them if memory serves me.

Verdict = very very close, but the pipo has it by about a whisker.

Thanks Banjo just the advice I'm looking for. Do you have the 32 or 64 GB Pipo ?

Thanks Banjo just the advice I'm looking for. Do you have the 32 or 64 GB Pipo ?

64GB dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231579286640&globalID=EBAY-GB

Hey guys , just purchased this today , am pretty good with technology but I'm totally new too these boxes , is there anything immediate I need to be aware of when I set it up.
    There will be an Ethernet cable in place behind the box .
    Is it a case of plug and play ??
    What potential have these things got ?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kelledy wrote: »
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231579286640&globalID=EBAY-GB

Hey guys , just purchased this today , am pretty good with technology but I'm totally new too these boxes , is there anything immediate I need to be aware of when I set it up.
    There will be an Ethernet cable in place behind the box .
    Is it a case of plug and play ??
    What potential have these things got ?
    Thanks in advance

The box has an ethernet socket so you can hardwire it to a router.There's lots that these boxes can do but we can't talk about them here-Youtube has loads of videos and tutorials.
    This was posted by me before,handy step by step guides to configuring kodi.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96273495&postcount=51

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

@kelledy
    send me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm looking for an upgrade from my MK808, which probably wont be too hard as I paid less than €30 for it. Its an ok device and has served me well, but I'd like something with a better network/wifi speed and a bit more RAM.

I've not tried KODI on Andriod yet, but did play around with a bit on Windows when it was XBMC.

The Dreambox was mentioned in another thread and the user seemed to think that it was fairly reliable for HD streams.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For people using kodi for the first time,look up some tutorials on keeping it running well and clearing any unwanted data,I've just done a box for a friend "that wasn't working properly",there was nearly 7GB of unwanted files and crap in Kodi alone.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    For people using kodi for the first time,look up some tutorials on keeping it running well and clearing any unwanted data,I've just done a box for a friend "that wasn't working properly",there was nearly 7GB of unwanted files and crap in Kodi alone.

How did that happen ? Just the cache filling up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I ended up ordering the m8 from Amazon for 35 pound as I never had one and was just testing the water before spending big, thing is running perfect watching arsenal and Newcastle now in perfect HD, not a bother on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

your down to 2 then :) I can only speaak for the pipo X8 and I think its a great box
    I installed KODI on both android and windows no problems in either
    been using it as main PC hooked up to 42 inch plasma since I got it and its running fine been plugged in and running for days with no problems
    will get another to put in living room

good luck with your choice

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2015/08/20/pipo-x8-win10-android-4-4-4-dual-boot-system-firmware-186834-150820/

There is also firmware updates for it
    I dont know if the others have firmware updates others will be able to advise you

enno99 wrote: »
    your down to 2 then :) I can only speaak for the pipo X8 and I think its a great box
    been using it as main PC hooked up to 42 inch plasma since I got it and its running fine been plugged in and running for days with no problems

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2015/08/20/pipo-x8-win10-android-4-4-4-dual-boot-system-firmware-186834-150820/

I dont know if the others have firmware updates others will be able to advise you

Yea I'm leaning towards the Pipo now. It'd be handy to run Office online on it and the missues can use it as her laptop crapped out.
    Raging I missed the 64GB but I sappose the 32 will do the job for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Yea I'm leaning towards the Pipo now. It'd be handy to run Office online on it and the missues can use it as her laptop crapped out.
    Raging I missed the 64GB but I sappose the 32 will do the job for the time being.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/PIPO-X8-Windows8-1-Android4-4-Dual-Boot-Mini-PC-7--Tablet-Intel-Z3736F-Quad-Core-2G-64G-802-11b-g-n-LAN-BT4-0-HDMI-348043.html

Havent used this site dont know how good/reliable they are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

mightyreds wrote: »
    I ended up ordering the m8 from Amazon for 35 pound as I never had one and was just testing the water before spending big, thing is running perfect watching arsenal and Newcastle now in perfect HD, not a bother on it.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

How did that happen ? Just the cache filling up ?

when the addons in kodi update, a copy of it is moved to a folder named packages. they're not that big but can build up over time, especially on an android box where you mightn't have that much space anyway

folders to delete content from:
    /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp
    /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/packages

thumbnails are probably the biggest problem though. & the cache too as you say.
    from time to time, especially if you go through a lot of shows, search movies, etc. delete everything from
    /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/thumbnails
    then go to
    /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/database & delete the textures13.db file

that'll remove all the cached fanart etc. & pull it back down when you go into kodi again & view that show or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

The reviews are terrible, I think you got lucky :)

I didn't even read them just bought it for the craic see what the fuss was should of looked, working great there for the Liverpool match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

enno99 wrote: »

Do the various addons run on kodi or are the OS specific ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

siochain wrote: »
    Do the various addons run on kodi or are the OS specific ?

On kodi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

mightyreds wrote: »

Now all you need is a new TV....wish i thought of this :)

11892032_1175782872436514_1385765392102087838_n.jpg?oh=8eedd2bfc014f7971001cd5d3105dcf6&oe=5674FE5A

If the M8 is flying dont bother upgrading, other boxes look and are amazing but the M8 is stable and simple with enough quality its the workhorse of the android world. If the M8 was a car it would be a 2011 passat....more than good enough to be seen in,in the real world...i may still be drunk from last night...just saying.

Guys, quick question.

Is it possible to cast youtube to the android box, as my tv only has the two hd ports, which are both used up.

I could probably just open youtube on the box, but the phone is handy, you know yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Guys, quick question.

Is it possible to cast youtube to the android box, as my tv only has the two hd ports, which are both used up.

I could probably just open youtube on the box, but the phone is handy, you know yourself.

Kodi on the box, youtube in Kodi, Yatse for controlling it with the phone ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

https://wetek.com

Anyone ever used one of the wetek play boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Anyone know how I can find out what version firmware is on an MXIII box and how I can update it? Better still, is there some place/shop around Dublin (or some kind soul on here) that I can get to update it for me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

And on that note, it has been a pleasure to have been part of this thread. ffs

daytob wrote: »
    And on that note, it has been a pleasure to have been part of this thread. ffs

What am I missing :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What am I missing :confused:
    Posts deleted maybe?

Advertisement