Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

So I am looking at how to replace the TV functionality and some ads for Android Smart TV boxes mention using Skype. However I have read in some places that people have had difficulty getting webcams to work with Skype on android boxes. So my question is has anyone any actual experience using Skype on their boxes and if so could they recommend suitable hardware? I have read through some of the recent posts and the Beelink GT1 Ultimate seems like a nice box but my difficulty is would it work with eg a Logitech webcam?

I think it may be difficult to find a webcam that actually works properly, I 'think' that some of the Logitech ones and some of the Microsoft ones do work, but have not tried any myself on an android box.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Recently got a xiaomi mi box.can I run RTÉ player or is there an app for the (legal) to channels?

I'm a bit clueless adding apps, I've added a few side apps but find it hard to get instructions online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

guideanna wrote: »
    Recently got a xiaomi mi box.can I run RTÉ player or is there an app for the (legal) to channels?

I'm a bit clueless adding apps, I've added a few side apps but find it hard to get instructions online.

You need to google about sideloading. I have one as well and majority of app's I would use dont run on it....haven't had the patience yet to side load :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Spec wise (S912, Android 7.1, DDR4 etc) this looks quite decent for about €45.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/R-TV-BOX-S10-KOD17-3-DDR4-2GB-eMMC-16GB-TV-Box-381396.html

Note: Consider 3-4 weeks delivery time and if hit with custom then another €15-20

3gb version is around €62.
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/R-TV-BOX-S10-KOD17-3-DDR4-3GB-eMMC-32GB-TV-Box-381393.html

I have not used any of these boxes, cant say how good or bad they are,
    I would have a read of this first
    http://www.cnx-software.com/2017/03/14/android-7-0-nougat-on-amlogic-tv-boxes-a-first-quick-look/

This gives me great hope for the next Wetek box
    http://www.cnx-software.com/2017/03/06/mainline-linux-on-64-bit-arm-amlogic-socs-and-tv-boxes-such-as-wetek-hub-player-2-nexbox-a1-a95x-etc/#comment-539790

The one issue i have with spurious Chinese providers is that they rarely have licenses with companies such as Dolby or Netflix etc so you are unlikely to get true HD picture with proper 5.1 HDMI passthrough on Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I recently got 2 of these

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_390235.html?wid=3

as a budget box its performs very well. I only use it for streaming using an app or two and even 1080p works well. I did launch a 4k video and it streamed no problems (although i dont have a 4k tv so not a true test). Remote is small and fiddly same as most for these boxes but I use a wireless mouse. I havent tried using WiFi as I have homeplugs.

EU shipping aswell so it took about 4-5 days delivery.
    For €45 delivered I would recommend it.

Main Features:
    ● Amlogic S905X quad-core CPU is rapid and stable which can give you high-speed feedback and smooth response.
    ● Penta-core ARM Mali-450 as GPU of this TV Box which gives you the high definition pictures and videos.
    ● 64bit Android 6.0 stable and smooth system.
    ● 2.4GHz WiFi ( IEEE 802.11b / g / n ): it offers a more stable WiFi signal for you to enjoy higher quality video experience.
    ● Supports 4K HD video, which brings us clearer image quality and HD vision enjoy.
    ● Infrared remote control let you enjoy your wonderful life which the wireless brings to you.
    ● With Google Play pre-installed, you are free to enjoy various films, musics, and games, as well as some practical APPs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hey Peps,

What's your thoughts on this box, specs look good for the price ~€64 coming from the UK
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/252947431273

Android 7.1 OS
    3GB Ram
    16GB ROM
    CPU: Amlogic S912 Octa core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU up to 2G
    GPU: ARM Mali-T820MP3 GPU up to 750MHz (DVFS)
    4K video

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Hey Peps,

What's your thoughts on this box, specs look good for the price ~€64 coming from the UK

Android 7.1 OS
    3GB Ram
    16GB ROM
    4K video
    I have the h96 pro for about 6 months and i couldnt fault it.i think i paid about the same price as above,i would recommmend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Hey Peps,

Android 7.1 OS
    3GB Ram
    16GB ROM
    4K video

+ postage 5gbp on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You need to google about sideloading. I have one as well and majority of app's I would use dont run on it....haven't had the patience yet to side load :D

ok so i still can't find how to side load RET or TV 3 player. When i search they are not showing up for me.

guideanna wrote: »
    ok so i still can't find how to side load RET or TV 3 player. When i search they are not showing up for me.

Find out how to do it for any app and it is same process. You will need to gte the apk for both app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Think I'm gonna go ahead and order the Mi Box from that ebay link posted earlier in the thread.

For those who ordered from there, did you use Parcel Motel? Would I get it quicker if I do?

xtal191 wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna go ahead and order the Mi Box from that ebay link posted earlier in the thread.

For those who ordered from there, did you use Parcel Motel? Would I get it quicker if I do?

I used Parcel wizard but same as Parcel Motel....I just prefer to get everything to door....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Is that offer much good?
    https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/326573/ef-mall

I don't mind waiting longer for same or better at same price.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Is that offer much good?

RAM : DDR3 1G BYTE
    Flash: EMMC 8G BYTE
    Power Supply: DC 5V/2A

Out of that, only the power supply is up to date.

Is that offer much good?

Piece of poo.....

Any of those offers on pigsback/groupon etc are a joke. The hardware is always 3-4 years old or more and won't be capable of running anything....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Thanks guys, saved me a regretful purchase there. Well my cousin, she is asking me but I haven't looked at android boxes in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Mi Box just arrived ! Very excited :)

Any recommended apps or resources/guides?

Apps you cant live without?

Somewhat new to the Android Box stuff.

EDIT: Not illegal stuff since some cant but help bring it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Korvanica wrote: »
    Mi Box just arrived ! Very excited :)

Any recommended apps or resources/guides?

Apps you cant live without?

Somewhat new to the Android Box stuff.

How long it take to arrive? Delivered to your home or Parcel Motel?

BandMember wrote: »
    Somewhat new to this thread as well, it would appear..... Please read the title - be careful discussing that sort of stuff here or the thread will get closed.

Wrong. I didn't mean banned stuff.

Thanks for the help.

xtal191 wrote: »
    How long it take to arrive? Delivered to your home or Parcel Motel?

Ordered off the Xiaomi store on Aliexpress, 2 weeks to arrive. €65 delivered to work. But got caught at customs. So an extra 25 on top of that.

Need to order a 2nd one so will be using the link posted a few pages back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

One poster practically killing this thread imho. He's not a mod but keeps giving out to other posters. What gives? If you have a problem with a post just report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

SteM wrote: »
    One poster practically killing this thread imho. He's not a mod but keeps giving out to other posters. What gives? If you have a problem with a post just report it.

It's certainly not the most welcoming of threads, as has been discussed before.

I was in favour of what was suggested at the time; that the opening post should be reserved and updated as a guide to the current best boxes on the market for different requirements (e.g. 4k Netflix etc)

There's definitely a lot of people who come on to the thread
    a) Not even having read the title of the thread
    b) Not having bothered reading a few pages back for recommendations.

I can see why regular posters get frustrated with this, but again, it would be easily sorted with an opening FAQ type post.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    It's certainly not the most welcoming of threads, as has been discussed before.

I was in favour of what was suggested at the time; that the opening post should be reserved and updated as a guide to the current best boxes on the market for different requirements (e.g. 4k Netflix etc)

There's definitely a lot of people who come on to the thread
    a) Not even having read the title of the thread
    b) Not having bothered reading a few pages back for recommendations.

I can see why regular posters get frustrated with this, but again, it would be easily sorted with an opening FAQ type post.

I get where you're coming from but when someone asks if there are any apps that people would recommend one person jumps on them, that person should become a mod if they're that interested in the subject. It's a perfectly simple question imo, no need to be jumped on. There are plenty of apps like File Explorers, Cache cleaners etc that are completely legit and could be recommended. If the 'wrong' answer is given then report that post.

It's just obnoxious behaviour imo, completely kills my interest in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Is there any hope for minix box users that the OS will be upgraded?

I'm running 4.4 I think the last time I checked. I assumed when I purchased this box(premium cost) that I would have no issues.

If there's nothing forthcoming is my only option to upgrade to another box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

JonnyM wrote: »
    Is there any hope for minix box users that the OS will be upgraded?

I'm running 4.4 I think the last time I checked. I assumed when I purchased this box(premium cost) that I would have no issues.

If there's nothing forthcoming is my only option to upgrade to another box?

Which MINIX have you?
    Someone was talking about an upgrade for one but not the other of their boxes earlier on the thread.
    There's also workarounds (SPMC or FTMC) to use kodi on 4.4 boxes, but you'd need to research those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

SteM wrote: »
    I get where you're coming from but when someone asks if there are any apps that people would recommend one person jumps on them, that person should become a mod if they're that interested in the subject. It's a perfectly simple question imo, no need to be jumped on. There are plenty of apps like File Explorers, Cache cleaners etc that are completely legit and could be recommended. If the 'wrong' answer is given then report that post.

It's just obnoxious behaviour imo, completely kills my interest in the thread

Not only that, but that user has often prolonged the discussion of topics that aren't strictly legit by quoting previous posts. And all without adding anything to the thread except telling people to search.

Well done on bringing this up. I'd stopped following the thread but it popped up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Can we all agree from now on if a poster asks a question or mentions the illegal add-ons that the post is just reported ?

No need to quote post or mention closing of threads just hit report and leave it to the mods.

That's not having a go at anyone I have often quoted those same said posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I thought it was more a case of, if the mods get too many reported posts coming from this thread then they might just consider it too troublesome and close it .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

jonski wrote: »
    I thought it was more a case of, if the mods get too many reported posts coming from this thread then they might just consider it too troublesome and close it .

I never considered that but I don't think it's an issue.
    Let a mod deal with it and delete offending post is probably best all round.

• Advertisement

jonski wrote: »

If they feel the need to close it at some point then fair enough. At least people will have a chance to discuss things they feel are legal without the fear of being jumped on.

Advertisement