Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

JonnyM wrote: »
    Is there any hope for minix box users that the OS will be upgraded?

I'm running 4.4 I think the last time I checked. I assumed when I purchased this box(premium cost) that I would have no issues.

If there's nothing forthcoming is my only option to upgrade to another box?

What Minix do you have, I have upgraded my x7 and x8 so might have some advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

The Minix X8H Plus has a Lollipop 'release candidate' available, which I'm tempted to give a shot. But the box is working fine, so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jonski wrote: »
    I thought it was more a case of, if the mods get too many reported posts coming from this thread then they might just consider it too troublesome and close it .
    Just to be clear, even though Im a mod myself I have nothing to do with this thread or forum but I do have to agree with the sentiments expressed above. I wouldnt recommend reporting posts unless its spam or uncivil posting etc.

Maybe the first reply to a post looking for "illegal apps" should be along the lines of...."Nope, sorry but anything that breaks the law cant be discussed here" and leave it at that.

Just my tuppence worth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

branners69 wrote: »
    Did you upgrade an x8h (non plus) by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

branners69 wrote: »

It's a minix neo x8 plus. That would be great. Pm me if need be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

corwill wrote: »
    The Minix X8H Plus has a Lollipop 'release candidate' available, which I'm tempted to give a shot. But the box is working fine, so ...

What's a release candidate? My box too is working fine so maybe it's a case of if it's not broke don't fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is that offer much good?
    https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/326573/ef-mall

I don't mind waiting longer for same or better at same price.

You save up to 142 euro

Chuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

What's a release candidate? My box too is working fine so maybe it's a case of if it's not broke don't fix it!

Better than beta, but not exactly final, may still have bugs. Plus there's no indication of what updating they'll do to it. I think I'll leave it until something crucial stops working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Did you upgrade an x8h (non plus) by any chance?

I just updated my x8h to the newest Minix firmware (FW008_20160115) but if I needed Lollipop I would have been looking here:
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/probox2-ex-firmware.16912/
    It's a minix neo x8 plus. That would be great. Pm me if need be.

As above I think the probox2 fw would work, but if things are not broken dont risk it!

Have you tried FTMC instead of Kodi? Much more stable and is well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No pity from Kodi for users who have seen a slew of addons on boxes stop working.

https://kodi.tv/article/having-issues-free-movies-tv-shows-sports-iptv-streams

"If you post in our forums or social channels about a pirate add-on or streaming service not working please expect ZERO sympathy or support. We don't care. We care less than not caring. We don't care biggly. And to counter a popular comment; if the Kodi userbase drops a huge percentage because pirate services flee or die, we're fine with that. Kodi has been around since 2002 and we are not going to implode or disappear (unlike the pirates). Life will be a little quieter, but less time spent on self-entitled whiny people means more time writing great code and having fun. We're okay with that too."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Saw that last week alright, fair play to them...but it must be maddening as hell for them when they get blamed for all illegal add-ons not working

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Saw that last week alright, fair play to them...but it must be maddening as hell for them when they get blamed for all illegal add-ons not working

Or the media calling Android boxes "Kodi boxes".
    FFS, I can stream stuff directly from my phone to my tv yet the media demonizes a legitimate media player.
    The bottom line is that people will pirate as long as they can get a means to do it,even back in the day I could copy Amstrad games using a twin cassette and sellotape.
    I freely admit to streaming TV shows as most of what I watch isn't on tv over here or won't be for a long time,lord help anyone with Saorview depending on RTE,who'll air stuff at stupid o clock if at all. Take the final season of Person Of Interest for example, they aren't showing it despite having aired all the others.Clowns.Imagine depending on a service like that. I won't wait to see a show as I usually find by the time it's aired on 'normal TV' I've forgotten about it or moved onto something else.
    Sorry for the rant.......now back to our normal programming.

My missus has finally copped on that using an Android box isn't as daunting as she thought.She even asked about getting another one for the house.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

SteM wrote: »
    One poster practically killing this thread imho. He's not a mod but keeps giving out to other posters. What gives? If you have a problem with a post just report it.

I think Sean Sherlock killed this thread a long time ago. Everyone talking (walking on eggshells) about android boxes and kodi, knowing full well what is run on them. I really really enjoyed boards before his stupid copyright law (2012 I think). Now it's torture trying to think of a way to ask a question and not trying to get into 'trouble'. Don't think people are buying expensive boxes to watch netflix on and using cache cleaners.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

zerks wrote: »
    Or the media calling Android boxes "Kodi boxes".
    FFS, I can stream stuff directly from my phone to my tv yet the media demonizes a legitimate media player.
    The bottom line is that people will pirate as long as they can get a means to do it,even back in the day I could copy Amstrad games using a twin cassette and sellotape.
    I freely admit to streaming TV shows as most of what I watch isn't on tv over here or won't be for a long time,lord help anyone with Saorview depending on RTE,who'll air stuff at stupid o clock if at all. Take the final season of Person Of Interest for example, they aren't showing it despite having aired all the others.Clowns.Imagine depending on a service like that. I won't wait to see a show as I usually find by the time it's aired on 'normal TV' I've forgotten about it or moved onto something else.
    Sorry for the rant.......now back to our normal programming.

My missus has finally copped on that using an Android box isn't as daunting as she thought.She even asked about getting another one for the house.:)

Just wanted to add: And waste 1/3 of my life watching commercials. a 42 minute show taking 1 hour on the tv license sponsored rte? **** that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

lawred2 wrote: »
    You save up to 142 euro

Chuckle

Save 173 euro on this one!! :rolleyes:

https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/329953/ef-mall

10euro for express delivery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Any input on this box, good and bad.

zoomtak h8

I see a certain app known to all here beginning with M and ending with O has made the papers now.I remember first posting the link to it when it was on the play store and boards went nuts for it.:)

Anyhow,has anyone had problems installing Kodi or spmc on boxes? Have a mate who keeps getting a "Problem parsing package" message no matter what version he tries. It happened to me yesterday on a box,I just gave up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,455 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

zerks wrote:
    I see a certain app known to all here beginning with M and ending with O has made the papers now.I remember first posting the link to it when it was on the play store and boards went nuts for it.

Papers are a little slow, it's been around years, problematic for me to on kodi, works fine on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

zerks wrote: »
    Anyhow,has anyone had problems installing Kodi or spmc on boxes? Have a mate who keeps getting a "Problem parsing package" message no matter what version he tries. It happened to me yesterday on a box,I just gave up on it.

Sounds like he's installing the wrong version to be honest.... There are several different versions of both Kodi and SPMC and each has different system capabilities. For example, even in android, there's both the ARM and x86 versions.

Also, it could be a simple case of him trying to install the v17 of Kodi/SPMC onto a box which has 4.4.2 android whereas you need at least 5.0 to be able install and run them.

Now, they are just two very general examples, you didn't really give too many specifics, but those seem to be the explanations behind most failed explanations in my experience...

BandMember wrote: »
    Sounds like he's installing the wrong version to be honest.... There are several different versions of both Kodi and SPMC and each has different system capabilities. For example, even in android, there's both the ARM and x86 versions.

Also, it could be a simple case of him trying to install the v17 of Kodi/SPMC onto a box which has 4.4.2 android whereas you need at least 5.0 to be able install and run them.

Now, they are just two very general examples, you didn't really give too many specifics, but those seem to be the explanations behind most failed explanations in my experience...

Went for an older version myself and the same thing. Odd?? I didn't have time for trial and error. It's not essential for my needs but my mate uses his a good bit (until his kids uninstalled it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭EntryDenied12

Never bought an android box and would say i have little knowledge about these gems however I'm contemplating buying one to stream my shows!

Internet speed isn't fast but not the worst anyway so i was looking around here and people are recommending the google nexus player or android box m8?

Something that can handle streaming movies and doesn't create much noise! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Never bought an android box and would say i have little knowledge about these gems however I'm contemplating buying one to stream my shows!

Internet speed isn't fast but not the worst anyway so i was looking around here and people are recommending the google nexus player or android box m8?

Something that can handle streaming movies and doesn't create much noise! Thanks

Nexus player looks done, unless you can find it somewhere, no box should make any noise. Boxes on Amazon running android 6 or 7 and minimum of 2 gigs of ram will do the job depending on what you spend. Most of the boxes are identical just different shells. I have the goo bang doo A3 3 months zero problems and whisper quiet.

Is more than capable of what you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭EntryDenied12

JamboMac wrote: »
    Nexus player looks done, unless you can find it somewhere, no box should make any noise. Boxes on Amazon running android 6 or 7 and minimum of 2 gigs of ram will do the job depending on what you spend. Most of the boxes are identical just different shells. I have the goo bang doo A3 3 months zero problems and whisper quiet.

Thanksvery much!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭BAAA RAM EWE

Bought this Trongle awhile back, someone mentioned one,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Keyboard-TR-1-Marshmallow-Bluetooth/dp/B01MCWLQZ9/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500408576&sr=1-2&keywords=Trongle

Pic quality from a plugged in HDD is crap for some reason though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bought this Trongle awhile back, someone mentioned one,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Keyboard-TR-1-Marshmallow-Bluetooth/dp/B01MCWLQZ9/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500408576&sr=1-2&keywords=Trongle

Pic quality from a plugged in HDD is crap for some reason though...

Is the USB HDD self powered or powered off the USB port?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

I have the goo bang doo A3 3 months zero problems and whisper quiet.

Might seem like a stupid question but where was the A3 "shipped from" - how much was the actual shipping and did you incur any extra charges on delivery:)

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Might seem like a stupid question but where was the A3 "shipped from" - how much was the actual shipping and did you incur any extra charges on delivery:)

It was actually shipped from inside Ireland, think it was amazons free delivery. Also the way the have got around Kodi restrictions is they have other kodi type builds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Word of warning for anyone signing up to the IPTV sites that are springing up after the end of satellite card sharing. A mate had an attempt made on his bank account using his card details for the withdrawal of €12503.7 after they successfully got €800. Check your bank account if you've dealt with any of these sites and request a new card. Do not sign up to sites like this with your legit debit or credit card

Word of warning for anyone signing up to the IPTV sites that are springing up after the end of satellite card sharing. A mate had an attempt made on his bank account using his card details for the withdrawal of €12503.7 after they successfully got €800. Check your bank account if you've dealt with any of these sites and request a new card. Do not sign up to sites like this with your legit debit or credit card

That's why I use PayPal for these unknown sites, a lot easier to monitor and retrieve money if the service is no good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

That's why I use PayPal for these unknown sites, a lot easier to monitor and retrieve money if the service is no good.

Let's not discuss this and just leave my post as a warning. Don't want this thread closed

Advertisement