Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

BobMc wrote: »
    How are light in the box to deal with re delivery times etc. coming out of china etc. ??

They are pretty much the same as any of the others. My last few orders have been very quick (less than 10 days), but they may have been lucky.
    I have ordered from them at other times and taken almost 3 weeks. They will give you a DHL Ecommerce link which is active the day after shipping https://dhlecommerce.asia/track/Track

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

BobMc wrote: »
    Did a clear out and I've now replaced all three of my boxes two old minix and a wetek play2, Awaiting Nvidia Sheild, and got a Beelink G3 Ultimate, and a Mi Box with ethernet usb adapter (had this a while now).

Looking forward to see the Sheild :)

Can you give us a review of the Shield when you get it, please? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

BandMember wrote: »
    Can you give us a review of the Shield when you get it, please? :D

There have been plenty of threads on here about the shield. There's even a lot of info in this very thread if you use the search
    http://touch.boards.ie/search?q=Nvidia+shield+tv

There have been plenty of threads on here about the shield. There's even a lot of info in this very thread if you use the search
    http://touch.boards.ie/search?q=Nvidia+shield+tv

Cheers! I know about the other threads and I've already read most of them, but am getting more interested in getting a Shield as my use of Kodi and gaming are growing to dangerous levels..... :o:D:pac:

I just prefer reading first hand customer reviews, you know? Plus, I think it might help others who may not know that a device like the Shield exists or are reluctant to spend the cash on a good device (rather than the cheap crap).... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Looking for a box to play stuff off a usb stick?

anybody use one for that purpose? Have one but it's full of bugs.

• Advertisement

Cheers! I know about the other threads and I've already read most of them, but am getting more interested in getting a Shield as my use of Kodi and gaming are growing to dangerous levels..... :o:D:pac:

I just prefer reading first hand customer reviews, you know? Plus, I think it might help others who may not know that a device like the Shield exists or are reluctant to spend the cash on a good device (rather than the cheap crap).... :)

Just get it. You don't need a review. I have one, it's amazing. I read loads of reviews and was still blown away when I got it.

Word of advise, if you're going running it as a Plex server get the one with bigger storage as Plex saves your metadata to internal storage and it's not possible to move to added USB storage. The Plex folder can easily get to over 10GB.

Just get it. You don't need a review. I have one, it's amazing. I read loads of reviews and was still blown away when I got it.

Word of advise, if you're going running it as a Plex server get the one with bigger storage as Plex saves your metadata to internal storage and it's not possible to move to added USB storage. The Plex folder can easily get to over 10GB.

I won't be using it for Plex, as I don't like it. Mainly would use it for Kodi and streaming, but I have read that picture ratio can be issue in some formats as it can't be changed/set to a particular default? Any issues like that?

Going to be getting either a Shield and/or a U9 soon, so just wondering whether to get one of each or two U9's, as I really like the Minix boxes - can't recommend them highly enough from my own personal experience!

I won't be using it for Plex, as I don't like it. Mainly would use it for Kodi and streaming, but I have read that picture ratio can be issue in some formats as it can't be changed/set to a particular default? Any issues like that?

Going to be getting either a Shield and/or a U9 soon, so just wondering whether to get one of each or two U9's, as I really like the Minix boxes - can't recommend them highly enough from my own personal experience!

SPMC is a fork of Kodi for the shield, it gives you lots of other options like passthrough audio. It's in the play store
    http://spmc.semperpax.com/

SPMC is a fork of Kodi for the shield, it gives you lots of other options like passthrough audio. It's in the play store
    http://spmc.semperpax.com/

Yeah, I know SPMC - I use it on my older boxes, along with FMTC. ;) Are there any negatives at all, in your view? How do you find it in terms of user friendly and setting up?

Feel free to PM if necessary, I don't want to divert the thread if that's a problem? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

My sheild due to be delivered today, take me couple days with work and kids to get it set up to my liking, will let you know how Im finding it then

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know SPMC - I use it on my older boxes, along with FMTC. ;) Are there any negatives at all, in your view? How do you find it in terms of user friendly and setting up?

Feel free to PM if necessary, I don't want to divert the thread if that's a problem? :)

The only negatives relate to Android tv itself and the lack of native apps. IMO it's still a much better experience than Android for a tablet running on a tv screen that most other boxes run. I've sideloaded lots of apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

How would people compare the Amazon Fire TV to the Shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

How would people compare the Amazon Fire TV to the Shield?

There's no comparison here.The Shield leaves the Fire Devices well behind in the dust.It's as simple as this......the Shield is the best Android Box on the market for the last three years and probably the best supported device too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No comparison between Shield and Fire TV but the Shield is more than double the price.
    I don't play games so the Shield wasn't worth the cash I got a U9 and very happy with it.

Anyone have a link to a Netflix apk my box doesn't support it ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    No comparison between Shield and Fire TV but the Shield is more than double the price.
    I don't play games so the Shield wasn't worth the cash I got a U9 and very happy with it.

Anyone have a link to a Netflix apk my box doesn't support it ?
    Yeah I wouldn't use it for games and the price pout me off in the past. Would you recommend the U9 over the Fire TV?

Yeah I wouldn't use it for games and the price pout me off in the past. Would you recommend the U9 over the Fire TV?

I prefer the U9 but I haven't used Fire TV much in comparison. Specs of U 9 are better but it's about 30 -40 euro more expensive .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Wondering if anyone could help or have any suggestions. Have a nexbox T95 and had broadband speeds of about 15mb. Was wired to router and worked very well, little or no issues with buffering.

Have my got Eir fibre and that is giving speeds of up to 140mb. But not wired and have it wireless connected. Buffering is brutal. Pretty much unwatchable. I know there is a drop off from wired to wireless but didn't expect it to be this bad.

Have cleared cache and restarted router but no better

The wireless in my experience is crap in the majority of these boxs.
    Can you get a wired connection again or use homeplugs?

yabadabado wrote: »
    The wireless in my experience is crap in the majority of these boxs.
    Can you get a wired connection again or use homeplugs?

I'd say home plugs would be the only option. In saying that the show I was watching I changed the stream source and it's much better now, hasn't buffered since I posted earlier. May just give it a few days and see how it goes.

Any good home plugs worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

bruschi wrote: »
    I'd say home plugs would be the only option. In saying that the show I was watching I changed the stream source and it's much better now, hasn't buffered since I posted earlier. May just give it a few days and see how it goes.

Any good home plugs worth getting?

Tp links I find are the best. Try Argos or amazon for the best prices. Pc world and others can be expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Many of the new boxes have decent enough wifi. I have one of those boxes on a boat. I will check the firmware, because i am pretty sure that we did initially have a problem with the wifi that was fixed with firmware.
    Saying that, streams can also be the issue due to the server, the codec and quality etc..

The Belkin are great too.
    The Xiaomi Wifi extender are also a great option for roughly €6.50 (there is a newer version)
    Or the Xiaomi router (Can be used as a homeplug, wifi extender etc) are excellent. There are new versions again, i have the nano youth and the larger, both excellent, and less than €20 each. (I think €12 and €18)

Well worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Del007

If anyone has Eir broadband, they you can get the plugs off them for free. I got one set myself and got another when the parents got their Eir broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I use homeplugs for two rooms for number years now and its ran great.

Had a small look and installed some apps on the Sheild the weekend, Nice peice of kit, using said homeplugs from above for time being till I have it set up and running the way I like then I'll move to living room 4k tv (wired connection in that room)

Running very smooth, not even looked at any of the gaming aspects of it yet. Have sound bar in living room so cant wait to test out some higher res content and add in the soundbar. Love the TV remote and the game controller seems a fine piece of kit. All in all very pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Nollog

Looking for an upgrade to my current box (Amlogic S905/Mali-450 MP).

Looking for something that can play 4k videos without stuttering, what kind of CPU / GPU should be looking into? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The dearer one has two ports.

Amazon often have really good value on homeplugs,worth having a look there.

Just as a quick update, I got the TP links home plugs as in the second link there for €37. Have it set up here now and have had my IPTV streaming of the champions league soccer and havent had a buffer at all for since set up. At the weekend I wouldnt get 20 seconds without it buffering, so working perfectly now. The home plugs work perfectly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm the owner of a shield, and I'm very happy with it, but I set a mates fire stick up yesterday with plex, and I have to say, I was very very impressed with it.

A fraction of the price, but it's a solid wee device. Definitely considering one for the kitchen now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Fairly new to this so could anyone tell me if this box is decent for the price? Also, has anyone ever purchased from this crowd and are they reliable?
    Thanks in advance :)

https://www.androidtvboxes.ie/product/x92-android-tv-box-3gb32gb-octa-core-top-range-copy/

Advertisement