Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

BandMember wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish! While the Shield is indeed a top quality product, it is not the only one on the market. As both myself and others have said in this thread, we have our Minix boxes for years and they are still working flawlessly.

Feel free to buy cheap though, but you will buying again very soon because you will have chucked the box in the bin in sheer and utter frustration when you have nothing but problems with it.... ;)

Spent 70 on a box about 6 months ago and works perfectly fine, feel free to overpay for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Quick question: has anyone bought off satellitetv.ie and if so, are they reliable? Looking to buy the Technomate TM-triple tuner box.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Quick question: has anyone bought off satellitetv.ie and if so, are they reliable? Looking to buy the Technomate TM-triple tuner box.

Probably better to ask that question in the satellite/Enigma 2 thread.More likely to get some answers .
    Haven't used that site but that box gets good reviews afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

yabadabado wrote: »
    Probably better to ask that question in the satellite/Enigma 2 thread.More likely to get some answers .
    Haven't used that site but that box gets good reviews afaik.

Thanks, did post a question about that box in a couple of those threads but go no response so picked the most active thread just before I hit buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Absolute rubbish! While the Shield is indeed a top quality product, it is not the only one on the market. As both myself and others have said in this thread, we have our Minix boxes for years and they are still working flawlessly.

Feel free to buy cheap though, but you will buying again very soon because you will have chucked the box in the bin in sheer and utter frustration when you have nothing but problems with it.... ;)

Its also absolute rubbish that you constantly write off every brand of box bar two.

I agree there is a lot of overpriced tat for sale but there is also a decent range of mid priced boxes to be got that do a perfectly good job.

Its just a case of doing a bit of research and reading reviews that are available in abundance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I've taken a punt on a Seguro S2 4K from Amazon, due for delivery next week. Will update later, anyone used one of them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Invincible

NATLOR wrote: »

Its also absolute rubbish that you constantly write off every brand of box bar two.

I agree there is a lot of overpriced tat for sale but there is also a decent range of mid priced boxes to be got that do a perfectly good job.

Its just a case of doing a bit of research and reading reviews that are available in abundance

True, there are other reputable boxes, Beelink,Nexbox & Tronsmart to name but a few. Some reviews state that the Nvidia is overkill unless you're gaming. Those who think that the Minix and Nvidia are the way to go have probably had a bad experience with some rockchip device,(as I had), and subsequently wrote off everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

The reason I recommend Minix is from personal experience - have loads of friends and family who have them and never had a problem. Same goes for the Shield, although I would definitely agree that it can be overkill if you are not into gaming.

At the end of the day, I would prefer to pay the extra for a hassle free product that both works and lasts. On any forum or people I've chatted with, it's the people who buy the cheap boxes who have problems. I mean, have you ever seen anyone with the Shield or Minix complain? Just look at the users on this thread alone who have nothing but praise for them. That goes a long way in my book....

(Just for full disclosure: I originially thought that I had a problem with my Minix, but it turned it out to be a crappy ISP. Once I changed my service, it's been nothing but perfection! Happy out. :))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It is also worth looking at HTPCs at that price point.
    Intel NUC, Gigabyte Brix, MSI Cubi and a lot more

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Brix-BXBT-1900-Ultra-Compact/dp/B00MOEMZMQ
    http://ark.intel.com/products/series/70407/Intel-NUC-Boards-and-Kits

There were some good SSDs on some of the China sites for cheap and got good reviews. The prices shot up after that. Eaget, Kingspec, KingDian, FastDian, FastDisk and BlitzWolf to name some. If you look around, you could find them at a low price still, i did not look tonight.

Fly Remote or Airmouse can be bought for less than €10

And because this is in Android Devices:
    http://www.androidauthority.com/install-android-pc-668643/

Definitely the better option imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Invincible wrote: »
    True, there are other reputable boxes, Beelink,Nexbox & Tronsmart to name but a few. Some reviews state that the Nvidia is overkill unless you're gaming. Those who think that the Minix and Nvidia are the way to go have probably had a bad experience with some rockchip device,(as I had), and subsequently wrote off everything else.

I had a high end Tronsmart... Had...

If I ever buy Android box again, it needs to be running AndroidTv and will probably be Shield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

It is well documented that the Shield is the best box around, and a must buy if you are a gamer.

I agree with Bandmember and others when it comes to the Minix boxes. I am still using my x7, x8 Plus and U1 daily! The x7 must be 4 years old and I recently put a new firmware on it which has given it a new lease of live, I paid €120 for it at the time. Minix devices have great online support from the likes of Wasser which is a great asset to have.

I doubt many people are still using a gadget they bought 4 years ago daily!

(P.s. Now I think of it I use my Nokia N8 daily as an mp3 player! Another great buy at the time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Before my move to android tv boxes, I was a proud minix owner had X8 and X5 mini both for about 4 years. In fact does anyone know if the X8 is worth selling on? or is there any market for them

I sold a X8 about 6 months ago .Got 50 quid for it,better than letting it gather dust in a cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

BobMc wrote: »
    Before my move to android tv boxes...

I would have thought the Minix boxes were android tv boxes? What do you use as an android TV box?

branners69 wrote: »
    I would have thought the Minix boxes were android tv boxes? What do you use as an android TV box?

Minix don't use android TV they use their own launcher.

Minix don't use android TV they use their own launcher.

Android TV is not only about the launcher. For instance Netflix app is completely different on Android and Android TV. Android TV comes with support for casting as well.

grogi wrote: »
    Android TV is not only about the launcher. For instance Netflix app is completely different on Android and Android TV. Android TV comes with support for casting as well.

True .Was just pointing out Minix don't use Android TV.
    Have to sideload Netflix onto Minix now

True .Was just pointing out Minix don't use Android TV.
    Have to sideload Netflix onto Minix now

Can you sideload com.netflix.ninja to regular android box?

grogi wrote: »
    Can you sideload com.netflix.ninja to regular android box?

I don't know tbh,never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

JamboMac wrote: »
    Spent 70 on a box about 6 months ago and works perfectly fine, feel free to overpay for something.

Exactly. Have a shield and about 15 different android boxes I bought over the years. I buy way to much tech but its my hobby. Have an old T8 I took out of the press at the weekend. Updated it and flying nearly 3 years later. I recently bought an Alfawise h96 pro+ and its an excellent little box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

eamo22 wrote: »
    Exactly. Have a shield and about 15 different android boxes I bought over the years. I buy way to much tech but its my hobby. Have an old T8 I took out of the press at the weekend. Updated it and flying nearly 3 years later. I recently bought an Alfawise h96 pro+ and its an excellent little box

I'm not religious about Minix, it seemed the cautious choice when getting my first (and only, to date) Android box. If I was confident about getting as good or better for less when the time comes, I'd be all about it, but for all the volume of reviews to be found on line, there's a lot of contradiction and competing views, and not many authoritative sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i have a b-link on the go since last march, not a bother with it, i was trying to watch tnag today for the racing, having ariel or some other problem, fired up my little friend and away it went

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Any of them play from usb bug free and play all the latest codecs/.265/etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Can someone recommend a cheapo €50 or less box? I'm poor so I can't afford a fancy one. As long as it does the job within reason. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Invincible

Can someone recommend a cheapo €50 or less box? I'm poor so I can't afford a fancy one. As long as it does the job within reason. Thanks
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIGICA-Android-Marshmallow-Amlogic-S905X/dp/B06XTLKZWN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504393162&sr=8-3&keywords=x96

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Nothing fancy, will be around €27.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/TANIX-TX3-MINI-KODI-17-3-S905W-2gb-16GB-4K-TV-Box-384467.html

This one around €25.

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_736121.html

4k support is not good due to cheap processor. HD quality should be ok.

Isn't the H96 Pro still around €50 ? Supposed to be one of the better low price boxs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I'm waiting on the H96 pro plus to arrive. Think I picked it up for around 42 euro posted from gearbest, I seen it for sale in the bargain alerts section about 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Isn't the H96 Pro still around €50 ? Supposed to be one of the better low price boxs.

It's around €55 on gearbest and €65 on banggood. Yes its much better than the cheaper ones I posted.

I have actually ordered one when the price dropped to €40. Will see how it works when I get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

I've one on the way too and will report back.

I'm using it as a second box for another room, as my Nvidia Shield will be the main box.

With those specs at that bargain price (€40 shipped), I couldn't let it go, and i think it'll be more than enough for what I need it for.

-IPTV (perfect player)
    -Plex (client)
    -general Android shenanigans

...that is unless I've been sold a donkey:(

Advertisement