Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

How many gigabytes of data are people using on a weekly basis with their android boxes? I'm scrapping my prescription TV in favour of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'm seriously looking at buying this one

Be under no illusion - it still is shipped from China...

grogi wrote: »
    Be under no illusion - it still is shipped from China...

So I'll be waiting 3 weeks to get it then..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

How many gigabytes of data are people using on a weekly basis with their android boxes? I'm scrapping my prescription TV in favour of this.

I am a binge watcher most of the times and did exactly that what you are planning to do.
    And my ISP hasnt warned me nor kicked me to the curb since i use these boxes.

Well, look at that, the usage is back on their webpage. Around 100 Gb per month usage

I dont us HD a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Good Question, My last month 322gb, but we use Deezer/Spotify a lot + kids on you tube etc. It will increase over the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

So the H96 Pro+ seems to be a good "budget" box?

Think I will grab one of these come payday. Will be my first Android box

BobMc wrote: »
    Good Question, My last month 322gb, but we use Deezer/Spotify a lot + kids on you tube etc. It will increase over the winter

Wow your kicking it there, that's a massive amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Invincible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Lads bought the mi box and adaptor, the adaptor doesn't seem to be working,
    I'm only connected to wifi and it's not showing Ethernet option, any ideas?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00JTSYBUY/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Lads bought the mi box and adaptor, the adaptor doesn't seem to be working,
    I'm only connected to wifi and it's not showing Ethernet option, any ideas?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00JTSYBUY/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Mi box dropped ethernet once or twice, a reboot and make sure wifi is off usually fixed it, its only happened couple times over few months

Am I right in saying the adaptor is compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

So I'll be waiting 3 weeks to get it then..

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_S905X/

Worth taking a look an adverts too, usually can pick something up for not a lot more and get it sooner if you need it.

Just checked your amazon link for the ethernet adapter, it might be the problem as its 3.0 its seems to cause some problems with MiBox and its USB 2.0, came across article on Reddit, I've 2x Ugreen ethernet adapters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

BobMc wrote: »
    Just checked your amazon link for the ethernet adapter, it might be the problem as its 3.0 its seems to cause some problems with MiBox and its USB 2.0, came across article on Reddit, I've 2x Ugreen ethernet adapters

+1 for the Ugreen Ethernet Adapter, Anker and Aukey are good too, to get from Amazon quickly enough.

There is a fairly decent learning remote with backlight on Zapals for €8.89 with a keyboard on the back.
    How to use IR learning (from the Tomtop description)
    How to use IR Learning:
    * Press "TV" button, the air mouse will switch to IR mode, only RED light is on.
    * Long press "TV" button, the RED light will flash from fast to slow, now the air mouse is in learning mode.
    * After the air mouse and the infrared transmitter of TV remote control are aligned, press the "Power" button on TV remote control.
    * When the air mouse receives the TV remote control code value, LED light will flash and then off, the IR learning is successful. Please note that when learning, do not use USB receiver.

There are so many of these boxes, it's so hard to know which one to get.

I'm looking at the X96 from an Irish seller, at €52.99 it appears to be good value. Not sure though.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/122666039218

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Ugreen USB 2.0 works for some here but not others - mirroring Reddit experience I'd read about.

styron wrote: »
    Ugreen USB 2.0 works for some here but not others - mirroring Reddit experience I'd read about.

Bit of a lottery, should I order USB 2.0 or 3.0?

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Bit of a lottery, should I order USB 2.0 or 3.0?

I'd go Ugreen 3.0 amazon with £3 add on for free supersaver delivery. Not a Mi Box user myself - but it looks the most dependable and cheaper ethernet option compared to others on "US Reddit" (1000 Mbps capable too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Probably a stupid question...

Is it possible to get a similar interface (main screen) to the Mi Box on say the H96 Pro that I have on order?

styron wrote: »

The problem many of them are having are that they do not wake with the box. That is a well known issue on every device, wake-on-lan on mac and windows laptop and a patch for Linux users works.
    Best option would be to get a Y cable USB to ethernet if possible. Or possibly something like this https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Enhancer-Female-Charge-Extension/dp/B00NIGO4NM

Probably a stupid question...

Is it possible to get a similar interface (main screen) to the Mi Box on say the H96 Pro that I have on order?

I have not heard of a Mi Box Launcher/Skin.
    If you do not like the launcher on your box, there are a lot of different ones to try.
    Android TV Launcher
    or
    Nova Launcher

Are two customisable options.

Suckit wrote: »
    I have not heard of a Mi Box Launcher/Skin.
    If you do not like the launcher on your box, there are a lot of different ones to try.
    Android TV Launcher
    or
    Nova Launcher

Are two customisable options.

Thanks man!

I also like the Nvidia Shield one ( which is similar to Mi Box )is that available do you know?

edit: actually looking 'Android TV Launcher' that you linked looks exactly like what I am looking for.

Does change launchers have a detrimental effect on performance in any way?

Both Mi & Shield run on the Android TV platform - so your H96 (and any phone based OS option) will struggle to emulate the interface ... on the plus side you can run plenty more apps!

actually looking 'Android TV Launcher' that you linked looks exactly like what I am looking for.

Does change launchers have a detrimental effect on performance in any way?

It is very customisable, so may take a bit of messing around with to get it right. Give yourself an hour or so.
    It shouldn't have much effect on performance, and that is the newer version of Leanback launcher so it has been tweaked. It could still clash with something as can anything.
    If you have a 1GB box, you may notice it slowing thing down slightly.

Suckit wrote: »
    If you have a 1GB box, you may notice it slowing thing down slightly.

Gonna give it a spin on the H96 Pro that is somewhere between Dublin and Beijing as we speak :)

You should not notice any difference at all on that. :)
    Rooted, remove the obsolete launchers, there are usually 2 or 3 installed including the media launcher (leave one on), and a lot of junkware.

Some people prefer using Cetusplay to customise the launcher as they go. I use an RC11, some prefer using Teamviewer Quicksupport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

554GB last month (Vodafone).

We don't have IPTV (yet) but a lot of Netflix, Youtube, and SKY (HD) catchup going on. Jeez I remember Digiweb throttling if you went over your 10GB many years ago.

• Advertisement

Scotty # wrote: »
    554GB last month (Vodafone).

We don't have IPTV (yet) but a lot of Netflix, Youtube, and SKY (HD) catchup going on. Jeez I remember Digiweb throttling if you went over your 10GB many years ago.

Is there no fair usuage policy with Vodafone? 554GB is excessive lol. My WiFi is capped at 40gb per month so I'll have to get an uncapped connection in soon for this android TV box.

Advertisement