Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

Is there no fair usuage policy with Vodafone? 554GB is excessive lol. My WiFi is capped at 40gb per month so I'll have to get an uncapped connection in soon for this android TV box.

Not being smart, but you're wasting your time getting an android box with a 40GB allowance as it won't last you long. You could easily burn through that in one weekend alone. I mean, I'd usually go over 300GB a month on my own. Just saying....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Is there no fair usuage policy with Vodafone? 554GB is excessive lol. My WiFi is capped at 40gb per month so I'll have to get an uncapped connection in soon for this android TV box.

I have Vodafone simply broadband
    The FUP is 1TB and I use between 300-500gb a month running an IPTV service

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

BandMember wrote: »
    Not being smart, but you're wasting your time getting an android box with a 40GB allowance as it won't last you long. You could easily burn through that in one weekend alone. I mean, I'd usually go over 300GB a month on my own. Just saying....

I know a couple that are capped at something similar. They do go over the cap the odd time, it does not cost them much but as long as they stick to box sets and movies that are a smaller size they are fine. (Little or no Live TV via Internet).
    They use a vivarium for smaller land animals, especially reptiles, amphibians, or terrestrial invertebrates to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

One Netflix user uses up to 7GB/hr in UltraHD. Two adults and two teenagers watching on different TV's in the house at the same time and you're possibly up to 28GB/hr. Add in something being downloaded on the SKY+ HD box and your're up to 32GB/hr potentially. Your 40GB wouldn't last long in my house.

I'm on 100Mb fibre sub (€38) but the line was recently upgrade to 1000Mb (€145/month) which I'm not bothered with. But, whether I use 10GB or 10,000GB it adds no extra cost to Vodafone. I think my FUP is 1 TB but as there's no contention ratio and I'm not costing them anything more, I'd say I could use as much as I want without hearing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I've not had to buy an Android media box for a couple of years but my MiniX NEO X8-H has died (suddenly stopped working and won't power on or show any sign of life) so I'm in the market for a replacement.

I'm looking for a solid performer and the key criteria I must have is serious WiFi performance due to the location of the box. The MiniX NEO X8-H had a great WiFi antenna and I was able to use an IPTV service, stream Netflix etc no problem as it averaged about 30mb d/l speed. I don't need gaming or other functionality, this will be 100% a media box so the Nvidia Shield would be overkill.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm looking for a solid performer and the key criteria I must have is serious WiFi performance due to the location of the box. The MiniX NEO X8-H had a great WiFi antenna and I was able to use an IPTV service, stream Netflix etc no problem as it averaged about 30mb d/l speed. I don't need gaming or other functionality, this will be 100% a media box so the Nvidia Shield would be overkill.

I'd consider homeplugs for the next box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Hi all,

I've not had to buy an Android media box for a couple of years but my MiniX NEO X8-H has died (suddenly stopped working and won't power on or show any sign of life) so I'm in the market for a replacement.

one caveat: I think someone questioned the H96 Pro Wifi performance on here, but YouTube says different

Any suggestions?

a couple of us are awaiting delivery of the H96 Pro which was was on bargian alerts a couple of weeks ago for €40 (keep your eye on the price as it will come back down)

I will be using it as a second box to my main Nvidia Shield, so will report back how it performs, as my requirements are simialr to yours - bar maybe my Nvidia will be Plex Server and the H96 pro a client.

One Caveat: Someone questioned/doubted the H96 Pro Wifi performance on here, but YouTube and other reviews say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I have the mi box, I'm waiting on Ethernet adaptor, but surprised at how well it performs on wifi only, honestly no difference, granted router is in next room.

Hi all,
    my MiniX NEO X8-H has died (suddenly stopped working and won't power on or show any sign of life)
    I know this might sound daft, but have you tried a different plug? Also have you tried conecting it to a PC to see if it detects it?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd consider homeplugs for the next box

Good idea but they don't work in my house unfortunately. I have some sort of upmarket fuse board (relatively new) which uses hair thick wire in the fuses and that retards the performance of home plugs. I tried a couple of different products but with the same result. Within the fuse zone the router is on homeplugs work fine but once I need them to transition through the fuse box to another zone in the house (which I need for the location the media box will be at) they simply don't work or to be precise they can only carry less than 1mb d/l speed which is useless.

Rewiring my house isn't an option nor is relocating the router nor is running an Ethernet cable from the router to the location of the media box and Homeplugs don't work so I'm stuck with WiFi I'm afraid. I invested in a top quality Asus router so I've got very strong and stable WiFi and have to work with that.

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    I know this might sound daft, but have you tried a different plug?

Yes I have and no it's not a daft question at all. Sometimes the most obvious (and overlooked) option is the solution. I've a 2nd X8 I use in a bedroom (also has to use WiFi for the reasons stated above) so I tried plugging the "dead" box into the plug for that box but no joy I'm afraid.
    Also have you tried conecting it to a PC to see if it detects it?

No, haven't tried that at all. How does it connect? USB on the laptop to ?? on the box?

a couple of us are awaiting delivery of the H96 Pro which was was on bargian alerts a couple of weeks ago for €40 (keep your eye on the price as it will come back down)

I will be using it as a second box to my main Nvidia Shield, so will report back how it performs, as my requirements are simialr to yours - bar maybe my Nvidia will be Plex Server and the H96 pro a client.

One Caveat: Someone questioned/doubted the H96 Pro Wifi performance on here, but YouTube and other reviews say otherwise.

Thanks TS. It's currently €55 on Baangood so still very well priced but it looks like it's got an internal WiFi antenna and (rightly or wrongly) I'd feel much better investing in something which had a big F off external WiFi antenna as I need to squeeze every ounce I can out of the WiFi signal.

No, haven't tried that at all. How does it connect? USB on the laptop to ?? on the box?
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/how-to-flash-firmware-image-x6-x8-series.116/
    That should detect it, and no harm to flash the firmware anyway if it does connect.

The Xiaomi Youth Router (roughly €15) is excellent for extending WiFi, but seems to be discontinued as the newer model has come out. Easy to setup, might be a good option for future boxes etc.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dreami-XiaoMi-Router-3-128G-ROM-Processor-MT7620A-WiFi-Wireless-support-windows-android-ios-2-4GHZ/32821526383.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/how-to-flash-firmware-image-x6-x8-series.116/
    That should detect it, and no harm to flash the firmware anyway if it does connect.

The Xiaomi Youth Router (roughly €15) is excellent for extending WiFi, but seems to be discontinued as the newer model has come out. Easy to setup, might be a good option for future boxes etc.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dreami-XiaoMi-Router-3-128G-ROM-Processor-MT7620A-WiFi-Wireless-support-windows-android-ios-2-4GHZ/32821526383.html

Do Xiaomi do a Plug-in (socket type) Wi-Fi 802.11ac extender?

would like one for the landing to boost signal from my Asus upstairs.

They do these https://www.banggood.com/Original-Xiaomi-2_4Ghz-300Mbps-Dual-Antenna-Wireless-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Homeplug-p-1139262.html

Coupon should take off another roughly €6
    You would likely need an adapter too.
    Router Connectivity Type: Wireless
    Transmission Rate: 300Mbps
    Network Protocols: IEEE 802.11n
    Wireless Standard: Wireless AC,Wireless G,Wireless N
    Wireless Security: WPA-PSK,WPA2-PSK
    WiFi Network Frequency: 2.4GHz
    LAN Ports: Under 2 ports
    Max. LAN Data Rate: 300Mbps
    Gain dBi: 3dBi
    Frequency Range: 100Hz - 16KHz

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

The Router 3 from Banggood €29.66 or Aliexpress €26.31 (a tantalising 25 cent over customs free limit). Looks like it can run as a repeater on both wavelengths

They also have a USB amplifier/repeater for under a tenner for a nearby recharger/power pack or a swapped out socket for one with a USB charger (assuming no interference).

Might be of some interest to anyone considering purchasing a Shield....

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/android/135423/nvidia-releases-affordable-android-tv-streamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Might be of some interest to anyone considering purchasing a Shield....

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/android/135423/nvidia-releases-affordable-android-tv-streamer

It's only $20 cheaper and comes without a game controller

It's only $20 cheaper and comes without a game controller

If you read the article, it comes without a controller because they are aiming it at non-gamers. Personally, I think the price difference will drop a lot more in no time at all once it goes on sale because it looks like they've got their pricing structure wrong. As you said yourself, it's only $20 - not enough to attract the huge non-gamer market, you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I don't think they got the pricing wrong in the US .It works out around €170 its just that we are getting shafted this side of the world. Its by all accounts the best box available with many features most boxs cant/won't have.
    Said it before it's probably over kill for non gamers but a serious bit of kit that is future proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think I'm buying one second hand in the next few days.Lad I know bought it and hates it :eek: so I'm getting a bargain.
    He just doesn't have the interest in it I think he thought it would be basically a direct replacement for Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Del007

That's most people's problem right there. They think if they buy a magic android box for cheap then they can get rid of sky and live happily ever after

Del007 wrote: »
    That's most people's problem right there. They think if they buy a magic android box for cheap then they can get rid of sky and live happily ever after

Could not agree more!! It's a combination of laziness, ignorance (of what they are buying) and being brainwashed by Sky that they can't cope with anything else (what did they do when Sky first arrived? Didn't they have to figure out how to use it then?). Mind you, the box sellers have a lot to answer for with the way they market their adverts.....

Still though, works out well for people like yabadabado who is picking up a pretty much new Shield on the cheap! Nice one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Does anyone have any recommendations for an online retailer to pick up a XIAOMI 4K Mi Box Android TV box? Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

If you read the article, it comes without a controller because they are aiming it at non-gamers. Personally, I think the price difference will drop a lot more in no time at all once it goes on sale because it looks like they've got their pricing structure wrong. As you said yourself, it's only $20 - not enough to attract the huge non-gamer market, you know?

They're aiming to compete with the new Apple TV as a 4K capable box, not Android boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AnnieRyan

Hello, I’ve tried to understand these posts and I’m so confused and I don’t want to post something that will get the thread in trouble or deleted.
    Basically I want an easy to use replacement for standard paid packages but I’m unsure as what the boxes can do ? Which to get? Etc? Any kind soul want to point me in the right direction

AnnieRyan wrote: »
    Hello, I’ve tried to understand these posts and I’m so confused and I don’t want to post something that will get the thread in trouble or deleted.
    Basically I want an easy to use replacement for standard paid packages but I’m unsure as what the boxes can do ? Which to get? Etc? Any kind soul want to point me in the right direction

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=minix+u9

My two cents.... Don't go cheap, or you will regret it. Beware of cheap Chinese clone boxes. Don't get a box with 1GB RAM (get a minimum of 2GB). Always connect with an Ethernet cable or homeplugs for a smoother performance, as the wifi on these boxes is not like your phone/laptop (i.e. it can be poor, especially for live streams).

However, the second part of your post regarding the usage of it can't be discussed here, but Google is your friend.... ;)

Also, read the thread and other Kodi forums, loads of people out there willing to help others (especially newbies) once they put some effort in themselves. As was mentioned earlier by others, this won't be an exact replacement for what you are looking for though, so please make sure that you know what you are getting before you purchase.

Best of luck with whatever you go for anyway, I wish you all the best with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AnnieRyan

Thank you for all your help, I have a smart tv and Netflix they main reason I started looking was I have a 1 terabit External harddrive full of movies and I wanted a way to play them through the tv without using a laptop

The hard drive is so old I was looking for a new harddrive which could play straight via a hdmi which I saw friends with before but they didn’t know what it was called and have since givin it back to who it was borrowed from, then looked at an Apple TV which I ruled out for two reasons

Firstly videos shows need to be certified by iTunes Store and there too small for what I need?

Any further recommendations??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

AnnieRyan wrote:
    Hello, I’ve tried to understand these posts and I’m so confused and I don’t want to post something that will get the thread in trouble or deleted. Basically I want an easy to use replacement for standard paid packages but I’m unsure as what the boxes can do ? Which to get? Etc? Any kind soul want to point me in the right direction

If you're looking for a box for live tv, I personally wouldn't recommend an android box, theyre great for pre recorded stuff though

Advertisement