Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The reviews are mixed here
    http://www.wirelesshack.org/review-h96-pro-plus-s912-3gb-ram-4k-andriod-tv-box.html
    not sure what confidence i have in a manufacturer that does this
    At 50 quid it's very good. At that price point there is always gonna be cut backs/cons.It was 40 euro and I don't think there is any box at that price to touch it,possibly none at 55 either.
    I have used one and would have no problem recommending it as a cheap buy.
    No box is perfect but spend 200 quid on the Shield and it's as close to it as you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

So far not so good with the H96 Pro.

Tried to change out the ugly launcher but Android TV launcher or Nova won't load.

Box becomes unresponsive at times and feels rather cheap.

I will keep at it but first impressions ain't great.

Tried to change out the ugly launcher but Android TV launcher or Nova won't load.

That's a balls .

Did you do a firmware up date when you got it?

There is a big thread on the box on bargain alerts might be worth checking out to see is anyone else having the same problems.

yabadabado wrote: »
    That's a balls .

Did you do a firmware update when you got it?

There is a big thread on the box on bargain alerts might be worth checking out to see is anyone else having the same problems.

Im hoping some of the problems im hitting is just me being on a steep learning curve when it comes to Android tv, but not looking good.

The box is running 7.1 so didint need to update and i was conscious of that.

I'm baffled but as something as simple as trying to use the Android TV launcher won't load.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Im hoping some of the problems im hitting is just me being on a steep learning curve when it comes to Android tv, but not looking good.

I'm baffled but as something as simple as trying to use the Android TV launcher won't load.

You mean this? - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

Unless your device is running the actual Android TV OS, as opposed to just an AOSP, common or garden Android version, then that app is no likelier to work on your device than it would on, say, my OnePlus 5. You'll need to try a different launcher.

• Advertisement

From experience with other boxes, changing the launcher is more trouble than it's worth, for something that is only really aesthetic and doesn't add any significant functionality.

Had no issues with responsiveness....do you mean the actual box, or its more to do with your wireless connection to the box?

Basil3 wrote: »
    From experience with other boxes, changing the launcher is more trouble than it's worth, for something that is only really aesthetic and doesn't add any significant functionality.

Had no issues with responsiveness....do you mean the actual box, or its more to do with your wireless connection to the box?

What's the launcher that it came with like?

corwill wrote: »
    What's the launcher that it came with like?

Fine. Just the standard launcher you see on a lot of these boxes. I set my favourite apps along the bottom bar and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Lots of people with the same problems with launchers you could downgrade to 6.0 or check logcat for a useful error. Android TV Launcher is a POS anyway no loss.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Fine. Just the standard launcher you see on a lot of these boxes. I set my favourite apps along the bottom bar and forget about it.

I've put this on a couple of boxes for folks who want it really simple or find an air mouse fiddly - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cosinus.launchertv

Neither feature rich nor snappy, but if all someone wants is big ol' tiles for a few media related apps, might be worth a look.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    You mean this? - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

Unless your device is running the actual Android TV OS, as opposed to just an AOSP, common or garden Android version, then that app is no likelier to work on your device than it would on, say, my OnePlus 5. You'll need to try a different launcher.

Probably a stupid question; but anyway to update the OS to Android?

Yes, I like my aesthetics. I love the Nvidia Shield Launcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

You can install leanback launcher,but it takes a bit of effort.You'd need to look on a site like freaktab for the solution.Don't think it'd be acceptable here to post a link to a tutorial.But with a little google search you'll find it.

Leanback launcher,was only initially meant for Android TV OS devices,but there's always a
    way for those desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

If all else fails, a custom rom might be an option..
    I got a cheap box but it was buggy as hell.
    Found this ROM on XDA, and it's been bulletproof since (with the caveat that WiFi doesn't now work, but I wanted it wired anyway.

Also, it removed a load of bloatware and unknown Chinese apps that came pre-installed.

Not sure if it works for your box, so research first...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-stick--console-computers/amlogic/rom-mini-m8s-ii-2gb-xannytech-custom-t3513805

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Get some Heatsink Plaster and a heatsink radiator.

Edited for links
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcingmap%C2%AE-Black-Aluminum-Radiator-Heatsink/dp/B00REFEQ90
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermal-Conductive-Heatsink-Adhesive-Compound/dp/B00KBNWKSQ/

If the radiator is already on yours, remove it, clean it (remove the double sided pad) and apply the thermal paste in it's place.
    Reseat the radiator.
    Let it dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Suckit wrote: »
    Get some Heatsink Plaster and a heatsink radiator.

Edited for links
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcingmap%C2%AE-Black-Aluminum-Radiator-Heatsink/dp/B00REFEQ90
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermal-Conductive-Heatsink-Adhesive-Compound/dp/B00KBNWKSQ/

If the radiator is already on yours, remove it, clean it (remove the double sided pad) and apply the thermal paste in it's place.
    Reseat the radiator.
    Let it dry.

Why do you want him to do this?

That'd be one real piece of sh1t box if you have to start doing this.

Kuva wrote: »
    Why do you want him to do this?

That'd be one real piece of sh1t box if you have to start doing this.

That is most likely the problem.
    It would not mean it is a real piece of sh1t box, it just means that the factory took shortcuts (if the heatsink radiator is missing), or got a bad batch of thermal pads, or scrimped by using cheap ones, and could not be bothered replacing them as it would cost too much time and effort.
    It is a well known issue on many of the boxes, even going back to the earlyish days and the tronsmart prometheus. That was one of the first ones that left it out that i can remember.
    But it is a very easy fix. It is not unusual for these boxes to not have adequate cooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

If I have a spare android phone and a chromecast can I do need an android box or can I do just as much with the phone?

If I have a spare android phone and a chromecast can I do need an android box or can I do just as much with the phone?

You can do just as much.

With great help by Clemop (thanks man!) I managed to change the OS on my H96 Pro+ to Android, and what can i say ...WOW!!

It's now identical to my Nvidia Shield and the speed, slickness and performance of this little beauty now for €40 is just mind boggling.

My dislike for the stock Launcher took the goodness out of it when I first got it, but it's like I've a new box now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

You can do as much with the phone, but the quality and performance will not be even a fraction as good as a decent android box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

With great help by Clemop (thanks man!) I managed to change the OS on my H96 Pro+ to Android, and what can i say ...WOW!!

It's now identical to my Nvidia Shield and the speed, slickness and performance of this little beauty now for €40 is just mind boggling.

My dislike for the stock Launcher took the goodness out of it when I first got it, but it's like I've a new box now.

Link to the ROM please?

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Link to the ROM please?

Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Whats the best Android TV Box at the minute, bang for buck wise and running a recent enough version of Android?

BandMember wrote: »
    You can do as much with the phone, but the quality and performance will not be even a fraction as good as a decent android box.

Depending on the phone and the Rom it might be better But the Chromecast will play the content, not your phone, unless you want to bring it to the bathroom etc..

Your phone will only send the instructions, the Chromecast will be responsible for playing it.

Can you PM me the rom ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Why is there so much secrecy, it's only a custom Rom, no rules broken

If the ROM they are sharing is the AlfaWise SCV3A-ATV ROM it can be found on Freaktab.
    Word of caution for these boxes, they do suffer from overheating, and if yours seems okay, it is still advisable to spend the extra €5 and properly cool it. It is an easy thing to do and could prevent you waking up one day to find your box will not power on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Anyone with the mi box have stuttering issue? A random stutter every few mins, even happens when just playing Spotify? Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What's the best bang for your buck box in the £50 odd price range on Amazon at the moment?

• Advertisement

What's the best bang for your buck box in the £50 odd price range on Amazon at the moment?

Probably the Fire TV stick. Fire TV Box is a little more expensive.

Advertisement