Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

Suckit wrote: »
    Probably the Fire TV stick. Fire TV Box is a little more expensive.

Don't get a Firestick, or any sort of similar device - can be dodgy over wifi (especially for live/HD stuff) and prone to overheating. Get a decent box. That's my two cents anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

BandMember wrote: »
    Don't get a Firestick, or any sort of similar device - can be dodgy over wifi (especially for live/HD stuff) and prone to overheating. Get a decent box. That's my two cents anyway....

Yes but what's decent. Alot of junk out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A new Fire TV released in 2 weeks,it will cost around €75 so may be out of your budget.
    The H96 Pro Plus will xost around €55 from China,will take about 3 weeks to arrive.
    The Mi Box is around €70 and best to add a ethernet adoptor.

Those are 3 boxs closest to €50 that i have used and would recommend.

As its coming near Black/Cyber days it might be worth waiting, afaik there were good deals plenty of streaming boxs last year.About 6 weeks until those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Fire Stick is within the £50 budget and is on Amazon.
    The H96Pro is also prone to overheating, i have not seen any reports of overheating on the Fire Stick (that does not mean that there are none).
    But at least with a Fire Stick, you have an Amazon Warranty. 3 years covered, by that stage you will probably be moving on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

yabadabado wrote: »
    A new Fire TV released in 2 weeks,it will cost around €75 so may be out of your budget.
    The H96 Pro Plus will xost around €55 from China,will take about 3 weeks to arrive.
    The Mi Box is around €70 and best to add a ethernet adoptor.

Those are 3 boxs closest to €50 that i have used and would recommend.

As its coming near Black/Cyber days it might be worth waiting, afaik there were good deals plenty of streaming boxs last year.About 6 weeks until those days.

Many people get stung with customs on this ?

• Advertisement

Korvanica wrote: »
    Many people get stung with customs on this ?

Not sure but its the chance you take with these purchases.
    Im not condoning customs fee avoidance but many of these companies will but a smaller value on the package or you can use a postal forwarding service.

I think if I was in the postion I would wait and see what new Fire TV is like and wait for special offer from Amazon either using gift cards to get discount or cyber monday deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

I've come across one problem which is bugging me on my H96Pro and I wonder if others could test and confirm.

It's got to do with Plex.

I've tried many different settings, but for the life of me can't get any movie that has EAC3 5.1 or AC3 5.1 sountrack to play it's audio in Plex.

The movie plays fine but no sound :(

I'm thinking it's a better problem but kinda in denial til confirmed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Invincible

https://www.wish.com/m/c/59b131557f1bfa7753d1e156

Bought an M8s + 5.1android off them January 2016, €38 delivered, took 15 days to arrive, still running well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Invincible wrote: »
    https://www.wish.com/m/c/59b131557f1bfa7753d1e156

Bought an M8s + 5.1android off them January 2016, €38 delivered, took 15 days to arrive, still running well.

Did you try buying one of these ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

eamonnq wrote: »

Its €81 plus postage, the price is for a rubbish allwinner box.

No
    Was showing 25 + 9 postage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

I've come across one problem which is bugging me on my H96Pro and I wonder if others could test and confirm.

It's got to do with Plex.

I've tried many different settings, but for the life of me can't get any movie that has EAC3 5.1 or AC3 5.1 sountrack to play it's audio in Plex.

The movie plays fine but no sound :(

I'm thinking it's a better problem but kinda in denial til confirmed :(

BUMP

Can anyone please quickly try a movie in Plex with the above soundtrack type on the H96 ..please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

I think if I was in the postion I would wait and see what new Fire TV is like and wait for special offer from Amazon either using gift cards to get discount or cyber monday deals.

Same here - I'm holding fire to see what Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals are going to see if I can get some deals on a couple of boxes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Right lads, quick question about home plugs. I didn't want to start a new thread on them as a lot of people here use them and their wanted for an android box anyway.
    I've a friend who's built on a small extension like a granny flat. All electrics are wired up to the main house, but I'd imagine WiFi will be poor due to the layout and where the original router is.
    If they used home plugs could they be wired into another router to spread the signal thru the new rooms and also run the android box.
    A set with 2 Ethernet connections seems to be ideal, 1 for the box and another for a router, but a quick google doesn't tell me much on whether it could work or not.
    Thanks

No
    Was showing 25 + 9 postage

If you try buying one, they are offering a different box at that price and the one linked is 81 + postage (as autumnalcore has pointed out), and then you would have your VAT and handling charge on top of that if you did buy one. So probably a bit over the €100 mark all in.

.red. wrote: »
    Right lads, quick question about home plugs. I didn't want to start a new thread on them as a lot of people here use them and their wanted for an android box anyway.
    I've a friend who's built on a small extension like a granny flat. All electrics are wired up to the main house, but I'd imagine WiFi will be poor due to the layout and where the original router is.
    If they used home plugs could they be wired into another router to spread the signal thru the new rooms and also run the android box.
    A set with 2 Ethernet connections seems to be ideal, 1 for the box and another for a router, but a quick google doesn't tell me much on whether it could work or not.
    Thanks

A set with the wifi extender built in would be ideal as you would get wifi in the extension too.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5034_TL-WPA4220KIT.html

A set with the wifi extender built in would be ideal as you would get wifi in the extension too.

Thanks a million. That seems like exactly what I'm looking for.
    Don't suppose you know of any good value sets I could buy locally or from the UK? Seems like a decent house warming present

.red. wrote: »
    Thanks a million. That seems like exactly what I'm looking for.
    Don't suppose you know of any good value sets I could buy locally or from the UK? Seems like a decent house warming present

You will get the same set thats in the link for €50 from argos .

You will get the same set thats in the link for €50 from argos .

Cheers, must have been searching the wrong thing but just found them. In stock too so I'll grab them later.

Thanks.
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5585575.htm
    Just in case anyone is looking for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Dont these work as an additional wifi access point rather than a wifi range extender?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

neacy69 wrote: »
    Dont these work as an additional wifi access point rather than a wifi range extender?

Yes, they are a pair and use the homeplugs to receive a link from your router and have an access point to broadcast Wi-Fi which you set on a different channel to your original wireless

300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender, AV500 Powerline Edition
    TL-WPA4220KIT

One Touch Super Range Extension - Wi-Fi Clone Button simplifies your Wi-Fi configuration and helps build a seamless unified home network
    HomePlug AV standard compliant1
    Extend 300Mbps wireless connections to previously hard-to-reach areas of your home and office

Probably.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Yes, they are a pair and use the homeplugs to receive a link from your router and have an access point to broadcast Wi-Fi which you set on a different channel to your original wireless

both apparently

wifi clone or additional ap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCD_K1_rtsk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

both apparently

wifi clone or additional ap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCD_K1_rtsk

Wi-Fi clone is just an easy setup just copies SSID and encryption key, they would operate like an access point using the homeplugs after

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

you opinions on this box please, i am thinking of getting a different box from my beelink, nothing wrong with it, i just feel in need of a new toy
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/S10-DDR4-3-32G-Android-7-1-Nougat-Octa-Core-4K-Media-Player-Smart-TV-BOX-MINI-PC/152658142843?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

flutered wrote: »
    you opinions on this box please, i am thinking of getting a different box from my beelink, nothing wrong with it, i just feel in need of a new toy
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/S10-DDR4-3-32G-Android-7-1-Nougat-Octa-Core-4K-Media-Player-Smart-TV-BOX-MINI-PC/152658142843?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
    Which Beelink do you have?

flutered wrote: »

For a few pounds more you'd get the GT1 ultimate.

For a few pounds more you'd get the GT1 ultimate.

A fiver more will get the new Amazon Fire TV.

• Advertisement

A fiver more will get the new Amazon Fire TV.

Ah, but it'd look cat hanging out of back of tv :D

Advertisement