Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Suckit wrote: »
    Personally, i would not buy a 2nd hand any of these boxes.
    There are plenty in that price range that would be perfect for OPs needs.

I got a 2nd hand minix neoU1 delivered for €80(I think), came with a minix air mouse/remote and he said he'd take it back if I covered postage. The package on amazon was about €140 at the time. No issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That is all good. I am just saying that personally, i would not but a 2nd hand one.
    That aside, i believe Minix to be well overrated.

Without getting into that, a decent option in price range, might be
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-v3264eu-16g.html

and use code X96MINI9 at checkout to get it down to $27.99 (€23.70) - So there should be no VAT required or asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok

Mate has an Android Box MX and was trying to sort it out for him. When I opened it just came up with Jarvis box M8 and then kicked into Kodi 14.2. However it had Open ELC installed and not sure of that? I was trying to figure out how to get to the menu on boot but could not figure it out so then did a reset on kodi to remove all the old items on this. So Kodi restored to original. However still could not get it to boot into launcher / menu mode and installed a build but for whatever reason I could not access it and now it just opens with this build

Then I tried to reset it by putting in a paper clip to the AV button at the back an then plugging in the power button but again just opened up to same thing. Not an expert and I have been using Minix boxes myself this box just seems cheap

Is it a case of the box is just FUBARED and old software and tell mate to chuck it or is there any other options other than going back to seller . He just wants box to open with menu and download apps from play store like Skype etc.

Ok

EDIT -
    Jarvis box M8 and MX are different boxes.

For the "Jarvis M8" it may be different. I removed link.

These are the latest OpenELEC builds for either box http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s802/others/19253-rom-openelec-for-amlogic-based-tv-boxes-m8-mxq-tv110-mx2-g18

This is how to update the MX to the newest LibreELEC - https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/4858-8-0-2-libreelec-8-0-builds-for-mx2-g18/

If it is a Jarvis M8 - Maybe try this https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/2877-s802-s812-libreelec-images-for-7-8-x/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Ok

Mate has an Android Box MX and was trying to sort it out for him. When I opened it just came up with Jarvis box M8 and then kicked into Kodi 14.2. However it had Open ELC installed and not sure of that? I was trying to figure out how to get to the menu on boot but could not figure it out so then did a reset on kodi to remove all the old items on this. So Kodi restored to original. However still could not get it to boot into launcher / menu mode and installed a build but for whatever reason I could not access it and now it just opens with this build

Then I tried to reset it by putting in a paper clip to the AV button at the back an then plugging in the power button but again just opened up to same thing. Not an expert and I have been using Minix boxes myself this box just seems cheap

Is it a case of the box is just FUBARED and old software and tell mate to chuck it or is there any other options other than going back to seller . He just wants box to open with menu and download apps from play store like Skype etc.

Sorry it sounds like you are looking for an Android Rom for that specific box.You'd need to get the proper model number and make of the box.Then flash the box if possible.

What you are seeing(by the sounds of it) is the box boot to the OpenELEC OS.Which basically boots to the Kodi interface.This will not give your friend access to APK's or any Android launcher.

So without knowing too much about your mate's box.You need to find a working Android rom for it.If there's roms available for it...you'll find them on places like the freaktab site.
    The @Suckit person is recommending you install OpenELEC or LibreELEC,this will not get your mate what he wants.....Android OS.
    But either OpenELEC or LibreELEC are probably the best options for the box,for streaming and Kodi.You just won't have access to apps etc,etc

• Advertisement

Yep. Apologies, i did not read all the way down.

The links i posted are just how to upgrade to the newest version of LibrELEC.

If you want the Android ROM

MX - http://d-h.st/g1J
    M8 - https://www.entertainmentbox.com/droidsticks-latest-u-m8-firmware-download/

Cheers

Ok don't know model number etc will check when I get home and try to flash a Rom.

Flashed many a ROM on phones not on Android box need to look into this more and see how I can flash them via laptop.

Fact that I cannot boot the box into recovery mode that an issue or I just need to google how to flash Roms to box?

Need to look more into Roms posted by Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

looking for box above but don't want to wait 3+weeks from china.
    any resellers Ireland/uk have this box that you can recommend?
    thanks
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

seanin4711 wrote: »
    thanks
    J

Loads on Amazon

I bought Nexbox A95x a few months ago from there......

thanks
    J

It is on Amazon Italy

And quite a few sellers in Germany have it for sale on eBay Germany, shipped from Germany. They ship to Ireland.

I have not seen the 16GB version for sale there though.

• Advertisement

It is on Amazon Italy

And quite a few sellers in Germany have it for sale on eBay Germany, shipped from Germany. They ship to Ireland.

I have not seen the 16GB version for sale there though.

any way of translating amazon italy?
    anyone order from Italy to Ireland before?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Use Chrome and it will translate.I have ordered from Amazon.it before without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Invincible

thanks
    J

Don't know what box you're after, but these have a variety, the X96 2G has a good reputation on Kodi groups.

https://newtech.co.uk/android-tv-boxes.html?p=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

thanks
    J

There is a guy on adverts selling boxes. Tv accessories or something like that is his user name. He is based in Lucan. I just bought a power supply from him and found him great so might be worth sending him a message to see what he has in stock

All you need to do is click the yellow bar "Aggiungi al carrello"on the right hand side as you would on Amazon UK. Sign in as normal, and proceed to checkout.

After shipping, the price rises to €66.95 and expected delivery date is 2nd of November to Ireland.
    UK (PM/PW/AP) expected delivery date is 26-30 of October and price is €64.57

All you need to do is click the yellow bar "Aggiungi al carrello"on the right hand side as you would on Amazon UK. Sign in as normal, and proceed to checkout.

After shipping, the price rises to €66.95 and expected delivery date is 2nd of November to Ireland.
    UK (PM/PW/AP) expected delivery date is 26-30 of October and price is €64.57

star!

bazzz wrote: »
    Sorry it sounds like you are looking for an Android Rom for that specific box.You'd need to get the proper model number and make of the box.Then flash the box if possible.

What you are seeing(by the sounds of it) is the box boot to the OpenELEC OS.Which basically boots to the Kodi interface.This will not give your friend access to APK's or any Android launcher.

So without knowing too much about your mate's box.You need to find a working Android rom for it.If there's roms available for it...you'll find them on places like the freaktab site.
    The @Suckit person is recommending you install OpenELEC or LibreELEC,this will not get your mate what he wants.....Android OS.
    But either OpenELEC or LibreELEC are probably the best options for the box,for streaming and Kodi.You just won't have access to apps etc,etc

Box is Ott tv box model M8N

I tried to put paper clip up into av port but can't reset it and keeps booting into build I installed which I can't use.

Is it a case of putting ROM on disk or fact that I can't get it to reset I can't install it

Any apps I can use USB burning tool??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Box is Ott tv box model M8N

I tried to put paper clip up into av port but can't reset it and keeps booting into build I installed which I can't use.

Is it a case of putting ROM on disk or fact that I can't get it to reset I can't install it

Any apps I can use USB burning tool??

You should keep trying variations on the toothpick method.Are you hearing/feeling the reset button,when you've tried it.Also have it disconnected from the internet(for good measure),while trying it...... Like this
    You can install from SD Card/USB Stick.See options like >..< and >..< .But make sure you have the correct model numbers etc,etc,before you start.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cotts72

currently trying to deciee between x96mini, alfawise z28 and mecool m8s
    anyone any experience with any of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Invincible

Cotts72 wrote: »
    currently trying to deciee between x96mini, alfawise z28 and mecool m8s
    anyone any experience with any of the above

Is this the Mecool you were looking at? Good spec!

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32816335866.html?spm=a2g0n.search-cache.0.0.430241a8esp8OO#autostay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Is it allowed to ask about kodi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Phil.x wrote:
    Is it allowed to ask about kodi?

No problem asking anything about Kodi as it's just a media player. It's the illegal add-ons that are used within Kodi that can't be discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

NATLOR wrote: »
    No problem asking anything about Kodi as it's just a media player. It's the illegal add-ons that are used within Kodi that can't be discussed

I just bought a minix neo u9h box and I'm not liking it at all.
    All the stuff to watch seems to be very hit and miss, mainly miss.
    I paid extra for an neo A3 air mouse and it's way off calibration.
    I think I bought into the hype....sadly.

Maybe I should of sticking with my phone and chromecast at a considerable saving.

Any help on improving this thing appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Phil.x wrote: »

Maybe I should of sticking with my phone and chromecast at a considerable saving.

Used a U9 for 6 months without any issues.
    The stuff that is hit and miss is im guessing repos that we cant talk about here and has nothing to do with the box.
    What problems are you having with the A3?
    Its by far the best remote I have used anyways,I definitely think it was worth the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Too early to write it off. Take a bit to get used to it.

Hit and miss stuff cant be discussed here but plenty of help on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

Phil.x wrote: »

It's not the box that is the problem here.

You need to do some homework and research. Google is your friend because we can't go into details here, as other posters have pointed out.

Managed to reset m8n box and installed few apps. Running android 4.4 and ok for the time being.

However remote is awful. I used my minix remote but giving box back to mate but what is the best remote for this box, something reasonably priced?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

I got my Tanix TX8 Max late in the week, all set up and updated now.
    It's a really nice box, I'd recommend it.

Posting my thoughts as when I asked about it nobody heard of it. Now awaiting an mx3 remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Managed to reset m8n box and installed few apps. Running android 4.4 and ok for the time being.

However remote is awful. I used my minix remote but giving box back to mate but what is the best remote for this box, something reasonably priced?

Cheap wireless keyboard, Rii make decent ones.

• Advertisement

The P3 is a great little remote too. It is down to €6.96 now on Geekbuying, if you use code XDRYERLK.

It is not a "full" keyboard in the sense that it does not have a CTRL key. But it is compact, a very nice design, comfortable, and rechargeable.
    The backlight can change between colours to suit your eyes, but when using the ALT symbols, it is easier to have no light on it. It switches from infared mode to 2.4G mode freely.
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/P3-Backlight-6-Axis-Gyro-2-4G-Air-Mouse-387461.html

For that price, it is worth looking at. It is best if you only plan on using it as a Kodi remote or basic Android remote, with keyboard for text mainly. It is not great for Linux or Windows, but can be used with both. (I am currently using it with an NUC running Ubuntu).

Advertisement