Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

styron wrote: »
    That ebay seller is Singapore registered with free P&P to the UK expected 23 Nov - 11 Dec. and ROI (+£15) 15-23 Nov.
    It ships from Manchester. Use Parcel motel for free delivery.
    I bought one a few weeks ago from that seller

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

bren2001 wrote: »
    Both the Banggood and Gearbest ship from HK. So both are liable for customs.

Is it not easier to go for (from Bargain Alerts thread):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122355472779?clk_rvr_id=1358273534725&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

or the Mi Spain site. Should receive it faster and no issue with customs.

Got an email from eBay on 28/10 stating that item was reduced to £55.95, gone back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

£15 for P & P. There's probably cheaper available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

muffler wrote: »
    £15 for P & P. There's probably cheaper available.

Free UK postage - Parcel motel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Anyone used or have a T95z box?? Best place to buy etc??

Someone else recommended it to me and have to say it looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Man android boxes have got more detailed...

Ram, Rom and chips are all over the place: Using this site , it seems the top chip is:
    • The RK3328 as it is Android 7.0 but 4 core.
    • Then S912 which is 8 core but Android 6.0
    • Anything S905X or S905W will not produce 4k or even proper HD for youtube etc.

Then I see many boxes with the S912 chip that say they have android 7.0.

So what's the story, my last box broke as Kodi wouldn't operate as the Android version was too old and couldn't update no matter what was tried.

I've been looking at:
    Mecool M8S PRO | S912 chip | 2 GB Ram | 16 GB ROM

Any opinion on this an why the Xiaomi Mi Box is so popular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Lekrub wrote: »

Because it runs Android TV not the tablet version of Android hacked to run on a TV screen, it has Netflix and YouTube 4k and is getting good support through updates

Because it runs Android TV not the tablet version of Android hacked to run on a TV screen, it has Netflix and YouTube 4k and is getting good support through updates

If I know something will be even slightly future proof through updates then thats good enough for me. A quick google says it runs on the S905X chip. From when I read this is less than the others.

I have chromecast and a smart tv, so need just two clicks to get to kodi. I might look at some youtube vids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

@Lekrub whats your budget ?

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    @Lekrub whats your budget ?
    I'd go up to €70. Might risk customs and buy from China too from other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'd go up to €70. Might risk customs and buy from China too from other sites.

For 70 I'd go with the Mi box.
    Someone mentioned earlier only a few weeks till black Friday ,currenly $67 and may come down further then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

Whatever box you guys are looking at, I would definitely suggest hanging on until Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday - hoping to pick up a couple of deals myself on a Shield and Minix U-9. Fingers crossed anyway! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

NATLOR wrote: »

Shame it only has 8GB of internal storage for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Doge wrote: »
    Shame it only has 8GB of internal storage for that price.

Genuine question - do you need any more internal storage if only streaming? Or do you only need if you want to store movies etc on the actual box?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Genuine question - do you need any more internal storage if only streaming? Or do you only need if you want to store movies etc on the actual box?

You do not really need more storage. It allows you to install more apps really. Larger storage should also equal a longer life, but realistically, most people seem to move on after a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

My H96 pro plus I bought from gearbest has died after about 2 weeks. Have made efforts to get info re returns but it has been anything but straight forward. Has anyone had success with gearbest regarding returning defective items ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Perhaps talk to Lindell on the gearbest forum here on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

dixierip wrote: »
    My H96 pro plus I bought from gearbest has died after about 2 weeks. Have made efforts to get info re returns but it has been anything but straight forward. Has anyone had success with gearbest regarding returning defective items ?

If you paid with PayPal then open a dispute with them. GB are a nightmare to deal with for returns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dixierip wrote: »

Is it the box or the power supply? Some of them aren't great. Perhaps try another one on it.

Man android boxes have got more detailed...

Ram, Rom and chips are all over the place: Using this site , it seems the top chip is:
    • The RK3328 as it is Android 7.0 but 4 core.
    • Then S912 which is 8 core but Android 6.0
    • Anything S905X or S905W will not produce 4k or even proper HD for youtube etc.

Then I see many boxes with the S912 chip that say they have android 7.0.

So what's the story, my last box broke as Kodi wouldn't operate as the Android version was too old and couldn't update no matter what was tried.

I've been looking at:
    Mecool M8S PRO | S912 chip | 2 GB Ram | 16 GB ROM

The Xaomi Mibox runs an S905x SOC and has netflix and youtube 4k -

so is this bold point above error?

https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/06/07/4k-vp9-video-playback-in-amlogic-s905x-based-nexbox-a5-android-tv-box/

S905W can also play 4k but it is limited to 30fps.

Although Lekrub specifically mentioned youtube,

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

hi

Wondering/hoping if someone might be able to point me in the right direction

Just received my first android box: X96 Mini Analogic S905W 2GB/16GB

installed Kodi from playstore. But Kodi resolution is greyed out on 1280x720 and I cant change it like i can do with windows kodi.

Airdroid shows HD as resolution so why cant i modify inside Kodi?

Is still a hardware limitation due to cheap box, or installing something like Libreelec resolve it?

hi

Wondering/hoping if someone might be able to point me in the right direction

Just received my first android box: X96 Mini Analogic S905W 2GB/16GB

installed Kodi from playstore. But Kodi resolution is greyed out on 1280x720 and I cant change it like i can do with windows kodi.

Airdroid shows HD as resolution so why cant i modify inside Kodi?

Is still a hardware limitation due to cheap box, or installing something like Libreelec resolve it?

Can you change the resolution settings in the android settings menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

I've been using my H96 pro plus for a week and hopefully there will be no power issues etc but I have to say. What a machine. It flies along with absolutely everything I do with it and streaming is perfect.

I have a quick question for people and I suppose its just for opinions.

Why use and put more time into Kodi than just using other streaming apps that work perfectly as standalone? Kodi is grand like but I don't see this major attraction people have with it.

battser wrote: »
    I've been using my H96 pro plus for a week and hopefully there will be no power issues etc but I have to say. What a machine. It flies along with absolutely everything I do with it and streaming is perfect.

I have a quick question for people and I suppose its just for opinions.

Why use and put more time into Kodi than just using other streaming apps that work perfectly as standalone? Kodi is grand like but I don't see this major attraction people have with it.

I used to love Kodi and its ease of use but then it all went a bit mad with lads falling out over repos and FBI seizing domains and repos so I left for a couple of weeks and starting using android apps and havent gone back....that was about 6 months ago and now I only use the apps on all my streaming devices....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Anyone on here buy a joypad for use with H96 pro? Anything work particularly well?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

neacy69 wrote: »
    Can you change the resolution settings in the android settings menu?
    Yes, but kodi menu is still greyed out.
    Tried diff cables and different screen.
    Kinda wondering if anyone here has same box and same issue.

I guess ill have to mess around with more and try a different app and see what it displays as.

• Advertisement

Yes, but kodi menu is still greyed out.
    Tried diff cables and different screen.
    Kinda wondering if anyone here has same box and same issue.

I guess ill have to mess around with more and try a different app and see what it displays as.

Try uninstalling Kodi and reinstalling it from the Play Store. Or try SPMC also in the Play Store, or here http://spmc.semperpax.com/

Advertisement