Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Could anyone recommend a box, that can be delivered in time for xmas, under 50 quid, with minimal/low setup?

Cheers in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Could anyone recommend a box, that can be delivered in time for xmas, under 50 quid, with minimal/low setup?

Cheers in advance!

Amazon Fire stick

Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote | Streaming Media Player https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ETRIFOW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_3C.jAb2Z4WSF3

Or Chromecast

http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/google-chromecst/334802/397.3.1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

Cheers in advance!

X96 2G/16G box on newtech.co.uk £37 + ap/pw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok, looking for a box, need before Xmas....

Cheap but have the ability to drive a USB connected HDD, the HDD will not have it owns power

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

Amazon Fire stick

Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote | Streaming Media Player https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ETRIFOW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_3C.jAb2Z4WSF3

Or Chromecast

I've heard people say that the Firestick isn't suitable for constant use like an android box as it is prone to overheating? Also, specs wouldn't be the same and you can't hardwire it.

Chromecast is not even remotely like an android box, not an option that I would consider anyway. That's just my own personal two cents....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

BandMember wrote: »
    I've heard people say that the Firestick isn't suitable for constant use like an android box as it is prone to overheating? Also, specs wouldn't be the same and you can't hardwire it.

Chromecast is not even remotely like an android box, not an option that I would consider anyway. That's just my own personal two cents....

He asked for something with minimal to low setup which is why i suggested these

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

He asked for something with minimal to low setup which is why i suggested these

Yeah, I know - wasn't having a go at you or anything, it's just that I think he will he have more problems than solutions with those options, you know?

Problem is a lot of people are coming on here and going "I want a cheap box for €50 that will work perfectly and replace my tv provider". Thing is, those boxes don't exist and has been pointed out by loads of posters on this thread, you buy cheap - you get problems! Even after getting the box, there's the setting up and maintenance of them, but that's another story.....

Anyway, hope everything gets sorted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Invincible wrote: »
    Could be worth looking at X96 2G/16G box on newtech.co.uk for £37

Looking to spend around 50 Euro including postage - would this be my best option for an android TV box around that price mark (also - one that comes from UK as shipping from China typically takes an age)

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Looking to spend around 50 Euro including postage - would this be my best option for an android TV box around that price mark (also - one that comes from UK as shipping from China typically takes an age)

It has a good reputation on some of the kodi forums on FB. Based in UK, so no awkward warranty issue if you need to return. For the price I'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hmm... The KM8P is octa core and android 7.1 for 43 pounds...

Which would you recommend ? I'm ok going a bit over budget !

Linky

• Advertisement

Which would you recommend ? I'm ok going a bit over budget !

Linky

I haven't heard of the KM8P before, the specification looks good. Have a look for reviews first for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Cheers in advance!

Try Adverts.ie - Few guys - buy today delivered Monday or collect. One in Crumlin, Lucan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

I just ordered this as a Christmas present. Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I bought this from bangood.it didn't work out of the box.bg were very good and i got a full refund.but these boxes have very mixed reviews look it up for yourself.some of them work perfect and other s die within weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

BandMember wrote: »
    Amazon Fire stick

Or Chromecast

Speaking from a person that has 3 Nvida Shields, I bought a firestick for 25 quid during black friday for a tv in the dining room. It bloody works perfect with the 'apps' we all use for streaming content. Mightn't be as fast as the Nvidia's but I love it. Come to think of it I would have saved a fortune if I had 3 of these instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭vectra

H96 Pro+
    I bought from GB a few months ago.
    Went to turn it on this morning and nothing
    dead. !
    I assume PSU ?
    I have no way of testing this but what I do have is an old adapter for a Vodafone Modem.
    Would this work?

vectra wrote: »
    H96 Pro+
    dead. !
    I assume PSU ?
    I have no way of testing this but what I do have is an old adapter for a Vodafone Modem.
    Would this work?

Pin size, polarity and voltage would all have to be correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

H96 Pro+
    dead. !
    I assume PSU ?
    Would this work?

I would advise anyone not to buy this box.it arrived to me dead ,you were lucky to get a few weeks out of it.

• Advertisement

I do not have any means of checking this.
    Is there a simple visual way?
    Thanks.
    I would advise anyone not to buy this box.it arrived to me dead ,you were lucky to get a few weeks out of it.

I beg to differ
    it is a fantastic box.
    it just appears to be PSU is dodgy.

I've bought 3, no issues with any of them....luck of the draw I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

H96 Pro+
    dead. !
    I assume PSU ?
    Would this work?

OK
    Did a bit of testing

1)
    Got out the modem I have in storage,
    Unplugged the 3.5 from the back of my Box and plugged it into the modem. Modem immediately powered up.
    I repeated this 3 times and all 3 it booted instantly.
    This more or less confirmed that the box PSU appears to be fine.
    I plugged it back into the box and had red/blue flickering light where it is normally blue when on.
    This stayed like this for around 5 minutes and eventually booted.
    I had to leave home today for around 5 hours so safety first I unplugged the PSU from the wall.
    Returned home and first things first. Plugged it back in.
    Nothing. Yadda..Diddly squat.
    No flickering lights.. Nothing.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Sappy404 wrote: »

£159 now..Quick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Banggood having a sale at the minute

Some boxes are discounted 20% using code 204927 (after the first tier).
    https://www.banggood.com/collection-4927.html

Xiaomi Mi box €57.36 and code does not apply any more discount

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Got my x96 mini eventually yesterday, picked it up for about €23 as part of an offer on tomtop.
    The only odd thing is my wireless air keyboard can turn it off but not on. I have to use the remote to switch it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Got my H96 Pro Plus 2GB yesterday and have been playing around with it. I am quite impressed.

Running 7.1.2 Android.

Happy with the gaming performance and haven't had any issues with video playback etc

Very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Got my x96 mini eventually yesterday, picked it up for about €23 as part of an offer on tomtop.
    The only odd thing is my wireless air keyboard can turn it off but not on. I have to use the remote to switch it on.

Depending on the air mouse/keyboard, you could try pairing it or programming it (using the manual) to match the box's original remote. Some do it with ease, some take a few tries and some can be frustrating, but i have not seen so much of the latter around in a while.

• Advertisement

OK
    Great result from gearbest.

Sent GB a report of the problem
    They have offered me a replacement
    or a credit to my GB account.
    is it worth chancing another one?
    Or
    Take the credit and add to it for a better one?

Thanks

Advertisement