Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

batistuta9 wrote: »
    You should turn off that auto currency conversion by amazon & just pay in sterling.

I've actually got some understanding of the Dynamic Currency Conversion market first hand and I'd prefer to allow Amazon to make a margin converting my Sterling purchases to Euro than my bank ;)
    & for my help you could pm me your vat scam :D

If I knew what to PM you I certainly would!!

I feel a bit like a person who suddenly has an ATM account that keeps spitting out free money. I know it's wrong and I know it will come to an end which may include a request for me to pay the missing VAT but but I'll enjoy it why it lasts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I've actually got some understanding of the Dynamic Currency Conversion market first hand and I'd prefer to allow Amazon to make a margin converting my Sterling purchases to Euro than my bank ;)

You like to pay more money than you need to?

Further proof you're up to no good Jean :pac:

You like to pay more money than you need to?

Further proof you're up to no good Jean :pac:

Quite the opposite actually, Amazon's DCC charge to convert sterling to euro is less than my bank will charge.

Using my debit card I have to pay a fee to convert sterling purchases to euro so I thought picking the least expensive option was the smart thing to do but maybe I'm wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

Quite the opposite actually, Amazon's DCC charge to convert sterling to euro is less than my bank will charge.

Using my debit card I have to pay a fee to convert sterling purchases to euro so I thought picking the least expensive option was the smart thing to do but maybe I'm wrong??

I was told that it was always cheaper to pay in Sterling and let your bank convert it as they would offer a better rate. I don't know what's the best option now though.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

BandMember wrote: »
    I was told that it was always cheaper to pay in Sterling and let your bank convert it as they would offer a better rate. I don't know what's the best option now though.... :confused:

Depends on the bank and their conversion charges. My O/H spent £250 on Amazon recently paid in sterling and saved a grand total of €2 :rolleyes: That was with BOI. There is never much in the difference unless you are spending a large amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

yabadabado wrote: »
    If u can get it without Vat fair play.

Too right, long may it last!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Revolut card. Only job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Revolut card. Only job

Exactly, always pay in sterling, let Revolut do the conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Kodi officially available to download on Xbox one, bye bye dodgy Android boxes.

Just one issue though main add on is no longer supported but functioning as good as ever, just won't be able to install it on Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dahat wrote:
    Kodi officially available to download on Xbox one, bye bye dodgy Android boxes.

How many people are willing to buy Xbox 1's just to watch content? I'd say android boxes are here for a while, nice addition though

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    How many people are willing to buy Xbox 1's just to watch content? I'd say android boxes are here for a while, nice addition though

Correct but as my daughter has one in the living room I can now maximise it.

dahat wrote: »
    Kodi officially available to download on Xbox one

KODI gone full circle more like - https://kodi.tv/article/seven-years-ago-we-said-goodbye-original-xbox and is now once again supporting the Xbox platform from where XBMC (the old name for KODI) originated in 2002, see http://kodi.wiki/view/History_of_Kodi.

KODI gone full circle more like - https://kodi.tv/article/seven-years-ago-we-said-goodbye-original-xbox and is now once again supporting the Xbox platform from where XBMC (the old name for KODI) originated in 2002, see http://kodi.wiki/view/History_of_Kodi.

Did a quick install there and had issues with 3rd party add ons, could be just a dependencies issue so it may resolve itself at some point.

If u can get it without Vat fair play.

It arrived this morning and no request so far to pay the missing VAT so all good.

Now all I have to do is set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone gone from a Mi Box to Shield TV? Worth the upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

xtal191 wrote: »
    Anyone gone from a Mi Box to Shield TV? Worth the upgrade?
    Not sure it is worth the extra €100.
    Licences all paid for, very little difference. If you can notice the fine differences on your 4K TV and viewing 4K content, then you may be able to notice any differences. Other than that. Nope.

Is it possible or legal to record on these boxes my father got one for xmas and was wondering. I've absolutely no clue about them.

So if this isn't ok could the mods delete with my apologiews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Is it possible or legal to record on these boxes my father got one for xmas and was wondering. I've absolutely no clue about them.

So if this isn't ok could the mods delete with my apologiews

Legality doesn't come into it.its like having a vcr.record what you want for your Own personal use.some of the boxes have a usb port which allows you to record onto the usb.it depends on which box you have.some do some don't.

For anyone considering purchasing or upgrading a box, this might come in handy....

http://www.webunit.co.uk/TVBOXES/charts/tvboxchart.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

For anyone considering purchasing or upgrading a box, this might come in handy....

How come the amazon tv stick is on there but the Fire TV box isn't ? , is it not considered an Android box as such ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Recently lost the USB to mxq box wireless remote, is there any chance I can find just the USB as I still have the remote, or would I have to buy a whole new remote all together

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Anyone got the Beelink GS1 yet?
    €55.82 on Gearbest atm

Very useful. Making me see the Shield as something that might have to be bought.

As a matter of interest, do any of these boxes work with Google Home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Very useful. Making me see the Shield as something that might have to be bought.

As a matter of interest, do any of these boxes work with Google Home?

;)

jonski wrote: »
    How come the amazon tv stick is on there but the Fire TV box isn't ? , is it not considered an Android box as such ?

I just found it on a different forum I was reading and that it might be useful to people. I'm not taking responsibility for the content of it though.... :p:D
    Recently lost the USB to mxq box wireless remote, is there any chance I can find just the USB as I still have the remote, or would I have to buy a whole new remote all together

Unless some kind soul on here or that you know has one lying around from an old remote they had, I would imagine that you will have to purchase a new remote I'm afraid.... On the plus side, you'll be able to get a decent one for around €10-15, so it could be a lot worse....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Anyone got the Beelink GS1 yet?
    €55.82 on Gearbest atm

I was tempted to get one of those.
    But I think someone looked down upon Beelink a page or two back.

Zidoo H6 Pro is currently €73 on gearbest too - https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_687065.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks for posting, but a lot of that list does not make sense. Are they going by quality of hardware or by the size of GB's or newer chip?

I would rate a lot of them a lot lower than those and you can view a similar chart on CNX with a ful in depth review including the quality of the RAM used and a video of them throwing alls sorts of HD/4K/codecs at them.

I would not agree with a lot of that.
    Yeah, i sound like a grump, but that chart seems to be randomly thrown together or not in any specific order. Also, how are they rating the price to quality ratio?

Not in a million years would i rate (for example) the HiMedia Q10 in the same list as most of those it appears above (and below).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Zidoo H6 Pro is currently €73 on gearbest too - https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_687065.html

Had a Zidoo X6 Pro Absolute rubbish! No support from Zidoo at all. Buying this is just throwing away your money.
    Replaced it with a Minix U9, cant believe the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Looks tempting :-)
    [url] https://www.cnx-software.com/2017/12/29/mecool-kii-pro-set-top-box-upgraded-to-amlogic-s905d-processor-android-7-1-2/[/url]
    VideoStrong is making some of the most popular – at least on this website – Android set-box boxes with digital TV tuner on the market with products like Mecool KIII Pro, or KI Pro, mostly because of their affordability.
    Amlogic launched S905D processor some time ago with better tuner support (multiple demodulator support) which for example allowing me to watch terrestrial TV (DVB-T2) while recording satellite TV (DVB-S2) on Sen5 TV box.
    Mecool-KII-Pro-2017-2018.jpg
    Going to Amlogic S905D from S905 also has the advantage of adding support for HDR, and 4K VP9 video codec. The company paid for a HDCP 1.4 license as well, but not HDCP 2.2 if the table below is to be believed.
    KII-Pro-New-Model-Improvements.jpg
    The new Mecool KII Pro set-top box is sold on GeekBuying for $66.99 including shipping, but you’ll also find it on Aliexpress, or GearBest.

Advertisement