Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

vectra wrote: »
    Anyone got the Beelink GS1 yet?
    €55.82 on Gearbest atm

I was tempted to get one of those.
    But I think someone looked down upon Beelink a page or two back.

No, it was a Beelink GT1 Ultimate you were looking at ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Suckit wrote: »
    Thanks for posting, but a lot of that list does not make sense. Are they going by quality of hardware or by the size of GB's or newer chip?

I would rate a lot of them a lot lower than those and you can view a similar chart on CNX with a ful in depth review including the quality of the RAM used and a video of them throwing alls sorts of HD/4K/codecs at them.

I would not agree with a lot of that.
    Yeah, i sound like a grump, but that chart seems to be randomly thrown together or not in any specific order. Also, how are they rating the price to quality ratio?

Not in a million years would i rate (for example) the HiMedia Q10 in the same list as most of those it appears above (and below).

As I said above, it was only something I saw posted in another forum and might help give some people an indication of what to buy, what the boxes are capable of and why the best boxes cost more - I wouldn't necessarily use it as gospel.

Personally, I would only recommend the Shield or the Minix Neo U-9 but I appreciate that others have different preferences.

However, as I've repeatedly said, you get what you pay for and if you want an enjoyable, hasslefree user experience, then you will have to pay for it.

Each to their own though, but if you don't know how to use the box and buy cheap, then (in my experience) you can expect multiple problems ahead....

No doubt some people will disagree, but I'm just offering my opinion from both personal experience and from what I've seen here and in other forums. Plus, it is a discussion board after all! :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I have seen your posts, and i know you provide excellent information, i was not meaning to undermine/say you are wrong etc..

The chart just seems to be based or rated on Antutu.
    But i see why you would post it.. I have drink in me so may come across like 'the grinch :o' as i can not think of a better comparison (festive season etc).

I just think they are not in any order. Yellow heart symbol = the best (according to the top of the chart) but appears randomly all the way down to the bottom. I get that some would not be. But red Heart = 'my favs' and also appears below the mini M8S pro, or the U2Z (another tronsmart clone).

The chart itself is not bad, but it is not in any order to recommend to someone. It does not make any sense.There are also a few boxes that have RAM/storage not built to last but will perform well initially.

Some do not even deserve to be on that list considering their price and their hardware.

Sorry if i come across a bit harsh. Not my intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

I'm having a weird problem with my Mi Box.

When I use Netflix or other unspeakable apps, the Mi Box works perfectly, but the WiFi for the rest of the house doesn't work. For example, when Netflix is on my hue sensors do not work and my Nest cannot connect to the Heat Link. However, my "wired" devices through TP-links work fine. Only the WiFi is affected.

Otherwise, the WiFi in the house is fine. I ran a new cable and changed the WiFi channel. Neither worked, anyone any ideas?

EDIT: Factory Reset the box and all seems grand now. The only thing I can think of is that I downloaded and installed Hulu via an apk and the Windscribe VPN via the play store. However, I've no idea how the box could interfere with either the WiFi itself or act as some form of signal blocker. Seems ludicrous to me but....

Suckit wrote: »
    I have seen your posts, and i know you provide excellent information, i was not meaning to undermine/say you are wrong etc..

Sorry if i come across a bit harsh. Not my intention.

Relax, I know what you meant - it's all good! :D

As I say, the chart isn't intended as Gospel - it was just to give people an idea what the specs of the boxes are what they are capable of. Might save a few posts from people wondering why their €30 box can't play Netflix in 4K, you know? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Wish someone would've warned me about satellitetv.ie. There customer support is one of the worst I've ever experienced. Waiting on call backs, getting no responses to emails and this went on for a couple of months. My two cents - avoid these if you are looking to get an android box.
    hadoken13 wrote: »
    Quick question: has anyone bought off satellitetv.ie and if so, are they reliable? Looking to buy the Technomate TM-triple tuner box.

Wish someone would've warned me about satellitetv.ie. There customer support is one of the worst I've ever experienced. Waiting on call backs, getting no responses to emails and this went on for a couple of months. My two cents - avoid these if you are looking to get an android box.

Never heard of them to be honest, but I would very rarely look for a local seller with boxes like these because they tend to be selling vastly overpriced prices of rubbish that are available for a fraction of the cost online - but are generally to be avoided no matter where you buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Would you not have taken from the fact, the only reply was to suggest posting in the satellite forum as a sign maybe not to risk it?

I think you were warned, by the lack of replies???

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Used the H96 pro for about 3 months. Has its problems but for the most part is a solid box IMO.

I bought the Mi box as per reading boards and looking at other reviews etc. I have to say though - For me, The H96 Pro + is by far a better experience for my needs at least anyway.

I've checked out all the ways(Videos) to make your mibox great but is there any I have missed maybe? I decided Im going to give it to my old man but just want to have it at its best before setting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Wondering if any of the android boxes can come with a satellite tuner and saorview tuner (dvb-t) .

What id like is to have a box that can play Netflix but also toggle back to satellite or rte.
    The amiko a4 seems to be an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

john_doe. wrote: »
    Wondering if any of the android boxes can come with a satellite tuner and saorview tuner (dvb-t) .

What id like is to have a box that can play Netflix but also toggle back to satellite or rte.
    Wetek play 2 you have the option of sat or saorview tuner.
    Iirc they are releasing a new box soon. Be great if they released one that you could use both tuners at the one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

john_doe. wrote: »

There are lots of box options with Android OS incorporating and combining DVB T2 & S2 tuners out there like the Amiko A3,A4.VideoStrong K series,Meelo,etc.

Or you can use many USB tuners on various Android boxes.

A quick google on it should yield enough options for you and I'd say you an source many of them online/locally from Ireland cheaply.

I remembered I have a Play TV and was wondering if there is a handy way to use it with my Shield for Irish channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

yabadabado wrote: »
    I remembered I have a Play TV and was wondering if there is a handy way to use it with my Shield for Irish channels?

I've used the Play TV on LibreELEC/OpenELEC devices.Not sure if I've used it on Android,currently can't find it.But I'm sure someone must have baked the Drivers in to a Android Rom.

Edit : Yep as I thought,it's been baked in to a Shield Rom.See This Post on Nvidia's Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

bazzz wrote: »
    There are lots of box options with Android OS incorporating and combining DVB T2 & S2 tuners out there like the Amiko A3,A4.VideoStrong K series,Meelo,etc.

Or you can use many USB tuners on various Android boxes.

A quick google on it should yield enough options for you and I'd say you an source many of them online/locally from Ireland cheaply.

Thanks finding it hard to come across info regarding users experience with these boxes.
    Trying to dig out information on the A4.
    Interested to see can they do series link for shows and if the recording is easy to set up on the tuner side while also seeing is the box capable of reliable for Netflix and Plex streaming.

Would like to avoid USB tuners.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 eoneill

Hi all!
    I'm trying to decide on which of the following to go for and would appreciate any advice or opinions from those of you who know a lot more than me about these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075TBK232/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IBLMGJ8DZRS4I&colid=1GK35DMU5DUI4&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06VTS7DJJ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3D1P003B0MY5Z&colid=1GK35DMU5DUI4&psc=0

I want to hook into my media server via ethernet but also to be able to receive streams wirelessly (occasionly i look to move the box to a different location).
    Also, access to Play store but still have the ability to install apps from "other sources"! Ability to, if possible, record what I'm streaming to usb stick/drive .
    That's pretty much it.

Thanks in advance.
    Eoin.

eoneill wrote: »
    Hi all!
    I'm trying to decide on which of the following to go for and would appreciate any advice or opinions from those of you who know a lot more than me about these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075TBK232/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IBLMGJ8DZRS4I&colid=1GK35DMU5DUI4&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06VTS7DJJ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3D1P003B0MY5Z&colid=1GK35DMU5DUI4&psc=0

I want to hook into my media server via ethernet but also to be able to receive streams wirelessly (occasionly i look to move the box to a different location).
    Also, access to Play store but still have the ability to install apps from "other sources"! Ability to, if possible, record what I'm streaming to usb stick/drive .
    That's pretty much it.

Thanks in advance.
    Eoin.

Both are excellent devices, and the only two I would personally recommend buying. However, given the requirements you listed, I would suggest that the Shield is what you are looking for.

A couple of things though: Buy it with the proper controller, you never know when it will come in handy! ;) You can connect your media server to it wired, but I'm not sure if you can do it wireless or not - perhaps the other Shield users on here can advise you on that? You can either install the apps from the Store or sideload them via a USB, either way you should be able to get everything you need. Lastly, I think you are not grasping what these boxes are for or how they work if you are talking about recording - they're not like a Sly box or a VCR, they are based on streaming content. Pretty much every movie and tv show is available on demand once you know where to look (and we can't get into that here, as per the thread title), so there really is no need for a record function.

It's a pity you missed out the recent sale, but if you search back the thread you might still be able to find a link for the box + proper remote for around the €150-180 mark.

Oh, and enjoy your purchase - you're making a great choice! :D

BandMember wrote: »
    Both are excellent devices, and the only two I would personally recommend buying. However, given the requirements you listed, I would suggest that the Shield is what you are looking for.

A couple of things though: Buy it with the proper controller, you never know when it will come in handy! ;) You can connect your media server to it wired, but I'm not sure if you can do it wireless or not - perhaps the other Shield users on here can advise you on that? You can either install the apps from the Store or sideload them via a USB, either way you should be able to get everything you need. Lastly, I think you are not grasping what these boxes are for or how they work if you are talking about recording - they're not like a Sly box or a VCR, they are based on streaming content. Pretty much every movie and tv show is available on demand once you know where to look (and we can't get into that here, as per the thread title), so there really is no need for a record function.

It's a pity you missed out the recent sale, but if you search back the thread you might still be able to find a link for the box + proper remote for around the €150-180 mark.

Oh, and enjoy your purchase - you're making a great choice! :D

Thanks BM for the reply.
    Understood RE what your saying about recording. It was really that sometimes I attend a rugby match but would still like to record for viewing the next day as it's Free to Air but perhaps i should also invest in a sat box at some stage too?

Thanks again for the reply.

Cheers.
    Eoin.

Yes, it may be worth paying the extra £10 whether or not you are into gaming, also might be worth waiting. It does not seem to be on sale at the minute, but is on sale a lot.

Aye hold out for the Shield to drop again and buy buy buy.
    A great bit of kit.

• Advertisement

Hi.
    Yeah, found the original link a few pages back so I'll keep an eye on it (incl controller) and may consider getting an SSD for it too.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Have an Android 265, cs918g plus, ( not to sure) have it about 3 years, done a reebot tonight and black screen, that the black screen of death ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Just looking for advice on where to start, got my 1st android box coming this week after making a jump from Zgemma! Briefly dabbled in kodi yrs ago but was wondering what tips and recommendations ppl have. Main use of the box will be sports,movies and iptv

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Just looking for advice on where to start, got my 1st android box coming this week after making a jump from Zgemma! Briefly dabbled in kodi yrs ago but was wondering what tips and recommendations ppl have. Main use of the box will be sports,movies and iptv

Thanks!

You'll pull a blank here. Google is your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

Thanks!

For tv shows and movies put Terrarium TV app on it which you can get in the Google play store or from their website.

FFS take down that post.

Thanks!

As dodzy rightly says, you won't get any help here for that information - read the thread title. You'll find it handy enough on Google though.
    Don Imac2 wrote: »
    For tv shows and movies put (named) app on it which you can get in the Google play store or from their website.

Good man yourself - way to get a thread closed.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Hey guys, trying to figure out which media box to get and I'm a little stumped, so many to pick from.

Basically I'd like one that can do the following

1. Run Kodi and its addons
    2. Play all video formats from a portable HD

So, nothing fancy! But I have heard of ones that have issues with the latest versions of Kodi after a while and such and end up unable to run the addons.

Any suggestions? Preferably something a bit cheaper than the Shield :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi,

I've a 3 year old Minix Neo X8-H with the Amlogic S802-H chipset.

Can someone with better understanding of the various flavours of KODI please steer me in the direction of the best version to install on the box?

I am running the latest official Minix firmware (which I think is still 4.4 Kitkat I'll have to check) so installing KODI 17 from the playstore isn't an option as you require at Lolipop to run KODI 17 AFAIK.

I use the box for Netflix, Amazon Prime, IPTV via Perfect Player and to stream locally stored content on a 2TB NAS hence the requirement for KODI (I don't want to PLEX!!) and it's ability to install add ons etc..

Help much appreciated!!

• Advertisement

Hi,

I've a 3 year old Minix Neo X8-H with the Amlogic S802-H chipset.

Can someone with better understanding of the various flavours of KODI please steer me in the direction of the best version to install on the box?

I am running the latest official Minix firmware (which I think is still 4.4 Kitkat I'll have to check) so installing KODI 17 from the playstore isn't an option as you require at Lolipop to run KODI 17 AFAIK.

I use the box for Netflix, Amazon Prime, IPTV via Perfect Player and to stream locally stored content on a 2TB NAS hence the requirement for KODI (I don't want to PLEX!!) and it's ability to install add ons etc..

Help much appreciated!!

Try SPMC -http://spmc.semperpax.com/

Advertisement