Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Suckit wrote: »

I think SPMC requires Android 5 and up, FTMC runs on 4.4. Or try this option for a fork of 17

http://mxqproject.com/news-kodi-17-krypton-available-for-android-kitkat/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

SPMC should work, but both can coexist on the same box if you prefer to decide which one to stick with

https://github.com/koying/SPMC/releases/tag/16.7.2-spmc

Armeabi V7 version is the one you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Hi,

I've a 3 year old Minix Neo X8-H with the Amlogic S802-H chipset.

Can someone with better understanding of the various flavours of KODI please steer me in the direction of the best version to install on the box?

I am running the latest official Minix firmware (which I think is still 4.4 Kitkat I'll have to check) so installing KODI 17 from the playstore isn't an option as you require at Lolipop to run KODI 17 AFAIK.

I use the box for Netflix, Amazon Prime, IPTV via Perfect Player and to stream locally stored content on a 2TB NAS hence the requirement for KODI (I don't want to PLEX!!) and it's ability to install add ons etc..

Help much appreciated!!

A few methods for installing Krypton on 4.4 here and youtube .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Hi,

Can someone with better understanding of the various flavours of KODI please steer me in the direction of the best version to install on the box?

I am running the latest official Minix firmware (which I think is still 4.4 Kitkat I'll have to check) so installing KODI 17 from the playstore isn't an option as you require at Lolipop to run KODI 17 AFAIK.

I use the box for Netflix, Amazon Prime, IPTV via Perfect Player and to stream locally stored content on a 2TB NAS hence the requirement for KODI (I don't want to PLEX!!) and it's ability to install add ons etc..

Help much appreciated!!

Install FTMC - it's the equivalent of Kodi 17. I also have a Minix X-8H and it works like a dream on it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Hi,

Help much appreciated!!

Throw this cfw on it! I did it a few months ago and it has given my X8-h a new lease of life! Ups the firmware to lollipop 5.1, for Kodi 17.6 and plays 720p x265 files very smoothly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Just ordered a H96 Pro Plus from Amazon, around €80 delivered. This is my first time with a non Minix box having had the x7, x8-h and U1.

Seeing as how the U1 is going to be stuck with 5.1 and that the U9 is huge money for my needs, I decided to take a chance with the H96 Pro Plus with 3gb and 32gb with a Amlogic 912 Octa Core CPU.

Am looking forward to seeing what Android TV 7.1 has to offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭batistuta9

SPMC should work, but both can coexist on the same box if you prefer to decide which one to stick with

https://github.com/koying/SPMC/releases/tag/16.7.2-spmc

x86 version is the one you need.

Arm7 is the one he'd need.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Arm7 is the one he'd need.

Yep. Don't know what i was/wasn't thinking. I obviously was just not paying attention to what i was doing.. I guess i was thinking of another box. Apologies, fixed now.
    Thanks Batistuta9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Not the worse deal :) -I've given up on Wetek after their latest effort

MECOOL KIII PRO DVB-T2/S2/C
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KIII-PRO-DVB-T2-S2-TV-BOX-385441.html?
    EUR 100.07 from Italian warehouse

MECOOL-KIII-PRO-DVB-T2-S2-TV-BOX--20171207163330432.jpg

DVB-T2 (Terrestrial TV) -> Yes
    DVB-S2 (Satellite TV) -> Yes
    DVB-C (Cable TV) -> Yes
    RAM -> 3GB DDR3 RAM
    Internal Memory -> 16GB
    Android -> 7.1 
    System bit -> 64-bit 
    Central Processor -> Amlogic S912
    Wifi: -> 2.5/5G 
    Bluettoth -> 4.0 
    Ethernet -> 1,000M
    HDMI Function -> CEC 

Graphics Processor -> Mali T820MP3
    HDR -> Yes
    4K Playback - Yes
    Kodi 17 - Yes
    YouTube HD -> Yes
    Netflix HD -> Yes

MECOOL-KIII-PRO-DVB-T2-S2-TV-BOX--20171207163342661.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

So from what I can tell, if you have a decent TV, especially 4k Nvidia shield is the way to go. All the other boxes which claim 4k doesn't seem proper 4k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

JamboMac wrote: »
    So from what I can tell, if you have a decent TV, especially 4k Nvidia shield is the way to go. All the other boxes which claim 4k doesn't seem proper 4k.

Xiaomi Mi box supports proper 4K playback

Pluses with this box, its less than half the price of the shield
    Xiaomi are a quality brand

Downside, no ethernet port but there are USB ethernet adapters that work on the box. eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-20265-1000Mbit-Ethernet-Adapters-1000-Mbit/dp/B00LLUEJFU/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516193450&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=u+green+ethernnet+adaptor

I personally don't have the box but its considered to be one of the best at this price point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

JamboMac wrote: »

Shield while plays 4K also has issues, 10bit bug and also colour space switching. I'm moving from Shield to Vero because of these

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

viperlogic wrote: »
    Shield while plays 4K also has issues, 10bit bug and also colour space switching. I'm moving from Shield to Vero because of these

Really not quite sure whether this effected the 2017 shield, but also others ended finding out it was there tv calibration and not the shield. I haven't noticed it, but haven't been looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

I have a Sony Bravia (circa 2012) running with a xiaomi mi-box and it keeps switching out the colour to reverse (like a Greek&pink screen), have been playing around with the pixel settings on the tv and seems to work better on some of the lower settings alright. Is this a common problem with older TVs?
    Want to get another box (for another tv now) but wondering if I should switch the mi-box to that tv (works fine there) and get a lower grade box I could get that might work better with my Bravia?

guideanna wrote: »
    I have a Sony Bravia (circa 2012) running with a xiaomi mi-box and it keeps switching out the colour to reverse (like a Greek&pink screen), have been playing around with the pixel settings on the tv and seems to work better on some of the lower settings alright. Is this a common problem with older TVs?
    Want to get another box (for another tv now) but wondering if I should switch the mi-box to that tv (works fine there) and get a lower grade box I could get that might work better with my Bravia?

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I bought a Nexbox A95X and had the same problem with the same brand and age TV , I was told by people more in the know than myself that this was a common enough problem with the Sony Bravia and Philips TV's from back then ....IIRC they said it was something to do with the HDMI handshake ...something , something .

I have used the same box on an even older Panasonic and around the same age Walker and no problems, I also tried several fixes and also different cables without success .

Not the worse deal :) -I've given up on Wetek after their latest effort
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KIII-PRO-DVB-T2-S2-TV-BOX-385441.html?
    EUR 100.07 from Italian warehouse

That is getting good reviews on many sites. Here is a video of it (Russian)
    I skipped the unboxing and went straight to the display https://youtu.be/fskot6eKLOo?t=155

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

I had same problem with H96 Pro+ on a new tv. I tried the box on another tv and all was okay. I did a factory re-set on my tv and the problem was resolved.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Yea and power cables

Don Imac2 wrote: »
    I had same problem with H96 Pro+ on a new tv. I tried the box on another tv and all was okay. I did a factory re-set on my tv and the problem was resolved.

Just did a factory re-set on the tv. Don’t wanna jinx it but 10mins In and so far so good!

• Advertisement

For those using TV Headend, are people finding this the best TV Headend Client app to use on a phone/tablet
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tvheadend.tvhclient[/url]

I find it works best with BS Player free
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bsplayer.bspandroid.free[/url]
    Or SPMC
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.semperpax.spmc16[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jonski wrote: »
    I bought a Nexbox A95X and had the same problem with the same brand and age TV , I was told by people more in the know than myself that this was a common enough problem with the Sony Bravia and Philips TV's from back then ....IIRC they said it was something to do with the HDMI handshake ...something , something .
    If it's a problem with the HDMI, perhaps try the AV cable?

=-=

Does anyone know of a Android box that has a simple plug n play interface like the WDTV boxes used to have? Something for an old non-tech person to use. If it had ethernet, and with an option of Plex it'd be nice, but mainly want something that is easy to be used. Anyone have an idea?

Just did a factory re-set on the tv. Don’t wanna jinx it but 10mins In and so far so good!

Just incase anyone has same issue to update the factory re-set appears to have sorted this issue for me 99%.
    Its' happened just a couple of times since for a few seconds then switches back to normal so i can live with that since the tv isn't brand new the odd glitch is to be expected i suppose.

Many thanks for the tips guys, wouldn't have thought of re-setting the tv tbh!
    Cheers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

tv isn't brand new the odd glitch is to be expected i suppose.

My 12 year old LCD doesnt agree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

£10 off the shield on amazon using the code BIGTHANKS

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057833785

For those using TV Headend, are people finding this the best TV Headend Client app to use on a phone/tablet
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tvheadend.tvhclient[/url]

I find it works best with BS Player free
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bsplayer.bspandroid.free[/url]
    Or SPMC
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.semperpax.spmc16[/url]

That's the one I've installed, its being regularly updated, the other on there hadn't been in years.
    Don't really use it to watch on the phone though, just as a TVGuide or to set a recording at times

You try vlc?

That's the one I've installed, its being regularly updated, the other on there hadn't been in years.
    Don't really use it to watch on the phone though, just as a TVGuide or to set a recording at times

You try vlc?

Yeah, VLC was giving problems until the latest update the other day. It's working now :D
    I was hardly using my Wetek Play but this TVheadend has changed things.
    It's great for the satellite channels on my phone/tablet when cooking dinner.

If only now i could get the terrestial USB tuner working at the same time - i have two but neither seems to want to tune in. I've checked the aerial by connecting it direct to a TV and all the saorview channels tune in fine. It's clearly the firmware on the LibreELEC missing or the cheap Chinese USB tuners! I think it's the former as I once got these tuners workings on a version of linux Mint on a laptop!

Are the tuners showing up in tvheadend?

Are the tuners showing up in tvheadend?

Yes, thats the weird thing. Tvheadend even recognises that's its dvb-t and not dvb-s or dvb-c tuners. It does a scan and just comes back Fail every time.
    Typically if the firmware is not there, it won't even recognise the device being connected.

• Advertisement

Yes, thats the weird thing. Tvheadend even recognises that's its dvb-t and not dvb-s or dvb-c tuners. It does a scan and just comes back Fail every time.
    Typically if the firmware is not there, it won't even recognise the device being connected.

Yeah some tuners dont work with it though If it's seeing them they'll work. You'll just need to get it set up right.
    You know your transmitter & freqs. etc

Can't really help as I've never set up terrestrial on it but tvheadend has its own forum where you should get the info or try the terrestrial forum on here

Advertisement