Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Does anyone know if a dvb t2 usb dongle would work in an android box or Wetek Play?

I need to get Saorview into a room (cable is there) but dont want another box! I already have a Wetek Play (for Sat/IPTV), a Minix x8h (Kodi etc) and a PS4!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Just been given an Amiko box and just wondering if anyone could recommend a good use for it ?

I already have a full Sky package and despite the cost, that's staying as it gets great use.

I have a spare sky dish and cabling, so wondering if its worthwhile pointing the dish to another satellite or will I just get stuff that's of no use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just been given an Amiko box and just wondering if anyone could recommend a good use for it ?

I already have a full Sky package and despite the cost, that's staying as it gets great use.

I have a spare sky dish and cabling, so wondering if its worthwhile pointing the dish to another satellite or will I just get stuff that's of no use to me.

mini combo or a box that has both satellite and cable tuners? has 'very good' uses if it is so, particularly if it has a cable tuner and you have 'access' to a cable provider;) if not, handy fta receiver via 28.2, i suspect the dish could be a little too small to receive content from other satellites, might be worth a shot though, and you might be able to 'acquire' services 'alternatively'

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    mini combo or a box that has both satellite and cable tuners? has 'very good' uses if it is so, particularly if it has a cable tuner and you have 'access' to a cable provider;) if not, handy fta receiver via 28.2, i suspect the dish could be a little too small to receive content from other satellites, might be worth a shot though, and you might be able to 'acquire' services 'alternatively'

Don't think it has a cable tuner, seems fairly basic, but I have good 360 line of sight, so worth a bash.

Is 28.2 different from the one Sky use or will I get the same channels

Don't think it has a cable tuner, seems fairly basic, but I have good 360 line of sight, so worth a bash, thanks

the amiko mini combo is a very basic entry level box, but packs a punch, impressive spec for such a cheap and tiny piece of kit. any idea what model amiko you have?

• Advertisement

the amiko mini combo is a very basic entry level box, but packs a punch, impressive spec for such a cheap and tiny piece of kit. any idea what model amiko you have?

Its this one Amiko Mini Combo (DVB-S2 + DVB-T/T2/C)

Just googled & the exact one I've been given https://www.mediatec.ie/amiko-mini-combo-dvb-s2-dvb-t2-c

Its this one Amiko Mini Combo (DVB-S2 + DVB-T/T2/C)

Just googled & the exact one I've been given https://www.mediatec.ie/amiko-mini-combo-dvb-s2-dvb-t2-c

ah you re sorted then, particularly if you re in a cable serviced area;) know a couple of lads running these boxes a couple of years, very basic but work flawlessly.

ah you re sorted then, particularly if you re in a cable serviced area;) know a couple of lads running these boxes a couple of years, very basic but work flawlessly.

Not sure I'd hook it to cable, was more wondering if I could get any free foreign sports channels or the like from the spare dish. I have the full Sky package, so its really a bit of fun.

Not sure I'd hook it to cable, was more wondering if I could get any free foreign sports channels or the like from the spare dish. I have the full Sky package, so its really a bit of fun.

are you in a cable provider area? if so look into this;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not sure I'd hook it to cable, was more wondering if I could get any free foreign sports channels or the like from the spare dish
    Look at getting a device that will turn and point the dish at specific locations in the sky (pretty sure very few are near the sky satellite; alot are 90 degrees to the right I think?), but depending on your location, I'm unsure how many channels you'd actually be able to receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

the_syco wrote: »
    Look at getting a device that will turn and point the dish at specific locations in the sky (pretty sure very few are near the sky satellite; alot are 90 degrees to the right I think?), but depending on your location, I'm unsure how many channels you'd actually be able to receive.

http://www.dishpointer.com

Tells you where to point your dish.

Thanks all, I'll have a go and see what I can find. I can borrow a satellite finder thingy and if it looks ok, can set up a more elaborate solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thanks all, I'll have a go and see what I can find. I can borrow a satellite finder thingy and if it looks ok, can set up a more elaborate solution.
    Look for a "mechanical holiday dish pointer", and/or ask in the satellite forum, as there are machines built for campervans to point the dish to the correct position automatically. Can be good if you regularly point it at different satellites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi

Looking at currently updating my Android Box, currently on Minix U-1 and no updates to this in ages and highly unlikely so looking at Nvidia shield

I mainly use it for watching films and downloading apps form play store and other sources. Also use it for Skyping family abroad.Also use it for watching BBC Player(using VPN) and other players. What I like about the Minix is the keyboard remote but no updates to system in a while. Is there a remote with a keyboard on this and can you download other apks and load them up onto the Shield? Not sure if the Minix Neo A2 remote would work or wireless keyboard? Also can you link camera to it for Skyping via tv? Also can it be rooted so that I can add AdAway etc

I am not a gamer so won’t be using it for that purpose so would it be worth the price as getting buffering a lot on Minix

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Hi

Looking at currently updating my Android Box, currently on Minix U-1 and no updates to this in ages and highly unlikely so looking at Nvidia shield

I mainly use it for watching films and downloading apps form play store and other sources. Also use it for Skyping family abroad.Also use it for watching BBC Player(using VPN) and other players. What I like about the Minix is the keyboard remote but no updates to system in a while. Is there a remote with a keyboard on this and can you download other apks and load them up onto the Shield? Not sure if the Minix Neo A2 remote would work or wireless keyboard? Also can you link camera to it for Skyping via tv? Also can it be rooted so that I can add AdAway etc

I am not a gamer so won’t be using it for that purpose so would it be worth the price as getting buffering a lot on Minix

cheers

Have you investigated a custom rom for it?

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-u1-custom-roms-kernels-discussion.142/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Getting buffering a lot on Minix

That could be a number of things:

- without naming any apps or add ons, it could be the source.
    - it could be your internet.
    - are you using wifi or an Ethernet cable?
    - are you regularly clearing your caches, packages etc.
    - it could be any number of things really.

I'd try making sure my set up was correct first before shelling out on a new box. I've a couple of Minix boxes myself and know loads of people who also have them, buffering is not an issue unless one of the above options is the cause...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

UsedToWait wrote: »

Or check here

Finless make a decent cfw!

But as BandMember says a cfw wont fix all your problems. I have a U1 and dont get any buffering. I have an x7 and I dont get any buffering! For me a Shield for you is OTT, why not look at a H96 or pretty much any S912 box with 3gb/32gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cheers

Have not rooted it but may look at the options does not seem as straightforward as rooting a phone which I have done a few times? With rooting just gets rid of the bloatware but wont update to Nougat etc.

As for buffering not sure as have decent speeds on wifi got an archer router and bridged this to virgin hub so decent speeds. Use cccleaner to clean the cache and try to keep apps to a minimum but as not rooted still some on it I cannot get rid of

Was looking at getting a new box anywho and selling the minix thus the question. I take it you can install apps from play store and other sources. Would not want to root it as like to get the updates

Still looking

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

Hi, looking for a recommendation for a box for Kodi. I have jarvisbox and a firestick. Looking for another device for a spare TV. Something relatively cheap.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

wizardman wrote: »
    Hi, looking for a recommendation for a box for Kodi. I have jarvisbox and a firestick. Looking for another device for a spare TV. Something relatively cheap.

Thanks

I find the Tanix TX2 ad TX3 Mini very good. I prefer theTX2.
    They are on Geekbuying EU Warehouse for around €30 2GB/16GB. I think Italy Warehouse is cheapest for them.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tanix-TX2-R2-RK3229-KODI-4K-UHD-TV-BOX-391159.html
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/TANIX-TX3-MINI-KODI-17-3-S905W-2gb-16GB-4K-TV-Box-387396.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

Suckit wrote: »
    I find the Tanix TX2 ad TX3 Mini very good. I prefer theTX2.
    They are on Geekbuying EU Warehouse for around €30 2GB/16GB. I think Italy Warehouse is cheapest for them.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tanix-TX2-R2-RK3229-KODI-4K-UHD-TV-BOX-391159.html
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/TANIX-TX3-MINI-KODI-17-3-S905W-2gb-16GB-4K-TV-Box-387396.html

Thanks someone told me to check out an x96 box too, any ideas how it would compare to tx2 and tx3?

wizardman wrote: »
    Thanks someone told me to check out an x96 box too, any ideas how it would compare to tx2 and tx3?

X96 or X96 mini?
    I have not had an X96 to be honest,
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genuine-X96-Amlogic-S905X-Quad-Core-TV-Box-Android-6-0-Marshmallow-RAM-1GB-ROM/32705176060.html

Edited - on Banggood for €36
    https://www.banggood.com/X96-Amlogic-S905X-Quad-Core-2G16G-Android-6_0-Marshmallow-Wifi-HDMI-4K-Kodi-TV-Box-Android-Mini-PC-p-1071134.html

I know that they are very good boxes too, but I have not seen much about them since the mid-end of last year.

The x96 mini seems to be reviewed on every site that has an android box. Which should be a good thing.
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/X96-MINI-Android-7-1-2-Amlogic-S905W-4K-TV-BOX-2GB-16GB-391448.html

It's only €24.23 from China so would not be stopped for duty. Or would not have to pay if it was.
    But it would take a month. It's only €31.50 from Germany.

I do not know if you would notice the difference in the two for the price.

The X96mini and TX2 would be similar in performance, TheTX2 is rockchip (3229) so it will handle HD better, but it is not always compatible with many apps, so often requires a workaround. Not ideal if you just want to press play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Suckit wrote: »
    X96 or X96 mini?
    I have not had an X96 to be honest,
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genuine-X96-Amlogic-S905X-Quad-Core-TV-Box-Android-6-0-Marshmallow-RAM-1GB-ROM/32705176060.html

I know that they are very good boxes too, but I have not seen much about them since the mid-end of last year.

The x96 mini seems to be reviewed on every site that has an android box. Which should be a good thing.
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/X96-MINI-Android-7-1-2-Amlogic-S905W-4K-TV-BOX-2GB-16GB-391448.html

It's only €24.23 from China so would not be stopped for duty. Or would not have to pay if it was.
    But it would take a month. It's only €31.50 from Germany.

I do not know if you would notice the difference in the two for the price.

The X96mini and TX2 would be similar in performance, TheTX2 is rockchip (3229) so it will handle HD better, but it is not always compatible with many apps, so often requires a workaround. Not ideal if you just want to press play.

I got a top spec x96 mini before xmas, and not sure if I got a dud or not but nothing works.

Kodi - nothing no matter what build. Now kodi is having its own problem so said will try apps

(not allowed name apps!) + all the other streaming ones - Interface works and all that but won't stream anything.

I had a M8s box before that lasted years with no problem.

Lekrub wrote: »
    I got a top spec x96 mini before xmas, and not sure if I got a dud or not but nothing works.

Kodi - nothing no matter what build. Now kodi is having its own problem so said will try apps

Slimshoe, Mogwi + all the other streaming ones - Interface works and all that but won't stream anything.

Where did you buy it from? Did you install a Media Player, e.g. MX Player?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

******* ****** + all the other streaming ones - Interface works and all that but won't stream anything.

Can you please read the thread title and remove those named apps from your post before it gets closed down... :rolleyes:

It's probably a dud box (because cheap boxes are rubbish), but if nothing at all works it sounds like your box is not connected to your internet or set up properly....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Not all cheap box's are rubbish.
    I set up a x96 mini in October and it's working fine with no problems to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

******, ****** + all the other streaming ones - Interface works and all that but won't stream anything.

Likely the original custom Kodi install / KDPlayer is the issue particularly if builds were installed over without uninstalling it and clearing data/cache first. Try these two useful Kodi forum threads and stick to 32-bit versions of Kodi.

It sounds like it is not connected to the internet but if it was able to download those apps and install them, and if the interface loads up on the first one mentioned, then it must be.
    Unless they were pre-installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What box would ye recommend for the following :
    IPTV using STB emulator
    Netflix 4K
    Won't be used for gaming.
    Ease of use
    A few streaming sites I won't mention but I'm sure ye know the ones.

I'm thinking Fire TV(would prefer wired connection) but Wetek play 2 might be a good option as this box will replace an old Linux box so to have free to air on it be handy when cables are already in place.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

BandMember wrote: »
    Can you please read the thread title and remove those named apps from your post before it gets closed down... :rolleyes:

It's probably a dud box (because cheap boxes are rubbish), but if nothing at all works it sounds like your box is not connected to your internet or set up properly....

Removed app names... Its connected to the internet for sure. I have installed builds, checked repos. Found out a certain wizard no longer works properly either. Then reset everything within Kodi but still no luck.

The nuclear option is the only one left now.

This is my x96 mini experience - others have had better luck

Advertisement