Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Lekrub wrote: »
    Removed app names... Its connected to the internet for sure. I have installed builds, checked repos. Found out a certain wizard no longer works properly either. Then reset everything within Kodi but still no luck.

The nuclear option is the only one left now.

This is my x96 mini experience - others have had better luck

Thanks for removing the named apps, it wasn't "a bollocking" either - I was just pointing out the thread title.... ;)

Personally, and I know the vast majority would agree with me, I would advise that builds are more hassle than they are worth. They take up a lot of room and if the creator does not update them or set them up right, then you are only going to have problems. The most common piece of advice is that the best build is your own, and I would definitely agree with that. Only install the add ons that you actually need and use, get rid of all the rest as they are not needed and just taking up space while slowing your system down. That's my two cent anyway.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

BandMember wrote: »
    Thanks for removing the named apps, it wasn't "a bollocking" either - I was just pointing out the thread title.... ;)

Personally, and I know the vast majority would agree with me, I would advise that builds are more hassle than they are worth. They take up a lot of room and if the creator does not update them or set them up right, then you are only going to have problems. The most common piece of advice is that the best build is your own, and I would definitely agree with that. Only install the add ons that you actually need and use, get rid of all the rest as they are not needed and just taking up space while slowing your system down. That's my two cent anyway.... :)

Ha no harm, forgot about the title. So is the set up to have kodi, and just install add-ons within it NOT apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

BandMember wrote: »

That's the advice I got here over a year ago when I bought my first box, a Minix U1 and it's still working away without issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I got the same advice about builds. Set it up from scratch seems to be the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

yabadabado wrote: »
    I got the same advice about builds. Set it up from scratch seems to be the best way to go.

I've a new NVIDIA Shield to set up at the weekend and whereas in the past I'd have used one of the TV Addon type set up wizards which install ton's of add on's I'm thinking of installing Vanilla Kodi and just adding the Addon's I'll actually use via the new Kodi Github Browser following this tutorial.

Is that currently the best/recommended way to optimise Kodi?

• Advertisement

I have just downloaded Kodi from play store and worked from there. Added repos as I needed them.

There will be plenty on here tho that will give better advice as I'm very much a hit and hope set up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I dislike wizards, but the github browser is okay. It is handy and does not install anything you don't want or need, although it would be better to install addons manually yourself, the browser is handy until you know how. Although once you have installed one, it is pretty much the same thing.
    Jen Template is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 thelynchs

What box would ye recommend for the following :
    IPTV using STB emulator
    Netflix 4K
    Won't be used for gaming.
    Ease of use
    A few streaming sites I won't mention but I'm sure ye know the ones.

I'm thinking Fire TV(would prefer wired connection) but Wetek play 2 might be a good option as this box will replace an old Linux box so to have free to air on it be handy when cables are already in place.

Any suggestions?

Have a look at some reviews of the Mecool KIII Pro, might suit your needs.

thelynchs wrote: »
    Have a look at some reviews of the Mecool KIII Pro, might suit your needs.

It won't have widevine level 3 needed so definitely no Netflix 4K. all of the others could be applied to many boxes.

There are a few level 1 boxes.

Tbh Netflix 4k probably isn't a deal breaker but thinking it might be as well buy a box that can handle it, a bit of future proofing.

• Advertisement

Tbh Netflix 4k probably isn't a deal breaker but thinking it might be as well buy a box that can handle it, a bit of future proofing.

The Amazon Fire TV or TV stick and the Xiaomi Mi box have Netflix 4K (as does Nvidia Shield)

Wetek, the Zidoo H6 Pro, Skystream ONE (discontinued, available sometimes ebay etc.) Skystream TWO (expensive) and a few others will perform well playing Netflix in 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Suckit wrote: »
    The Amazon Fire TV or TV stick and the Xiaomi Mi box have Netflix 4K (as does Nvidia Shield)

Wetek, the Zidoo H6 Pro, Skystream ONE (discontinued, available sometimes ebay etc.) Skystream TWO (expensive) and a few others will perform well playing Netflix in 1080p.

Buy nothing from Zidoo!

Suckit wrote: »

I think the Shield is overkill for this person's needs. Think it's a toss up between Fire TV/Play2/Mi Box.

Cost isn't a major issue,so the tuner on Wetek is probably the best option.

I know the Ugreen ethernet adaptor was recommended here for the Mi Box but has anyone used one that has USB hub(s) as well. Be handy to have at least one USB connection to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

I know the Ugreen ethernet adaptor was recommended here for the Mi Box but has anyone used one that has USB hub(s) as well. Be handy to have at least one USB connection to use.

There is one usb connection - I have my keyboard dongle plugged into it.

BTW Mi Box 4 is being released next week afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I'm using a variation of the Ugreen, it doesn't have an ethernet port,I use the 5ghz wifi and that works great for me.
    However has 3 USBs and a SD card slot, its pretty good. I use it for a wireless keyboard dongle, a 64Gb SD card and a 1TB swappable drive.
    I've the 64Gb SD configured as internal storage for apps and all the other stuff and it gets over the hurdle of the Mi Box only having 8Gb internal storage. Overall I'm happy with it and how all the stuff works together. At the start, the wireless mouse wouldn't work every time I switched it on, so I had to pull out the USB dongle and stick it back in, however that issue resolved itself after a few days.

Its this one here:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HMD70WS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    iba wrote: »
    There is one usb connection - I have my keyboard dongle plugged into it.

BTW Mi Box 4 is being released next week afaik.

I saw some detail on that over the last few days, seems to be for the chinese market only, they havent issued any detail on an international version I think?

Also, the spec doesn't seem much of an upgrade? S905 low power chipset, still only 8Gb internal storage and 2Gb RAM.

They do say it has some AI capability, that it will learn what you like and recommend films for you, but that sounds pretty meh....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

I'm using a variation of the Ugreen, it doesn't have an ethernet port,I use the 5ghz wifi and that works great for me.
    However has 3 USBs and a SD card slot, its pretty good. I use it for a wireless keyboard dongle, a 64Gb SD card and a 1TB swappable drive.
    I've the 64Gb SD configured as internal storage for apps and all the other stuff and it gets over the hurdle of the Mi Box only having 8Gb internal storage. Overall I'm happy with it and how all the stuff works together. At the start, the wireless mouse wouldn't work every time I switched it on, so I had to pull out the USB dongle and stick it back in, however that issue resolved itself after a few days.

Its this one here:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HMD70WS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I saw some detail on that over the last few days, seems to be for the chinese market only, they havent issued any detail on an international version I think?

Also, the spec doesn't seem much of an upgrade? S905 low power chipset, still only 8Gb internal storage and 2Gb RAM.

They do say it has some AI capability, that it will learn what you like and recommend films for you, but that sounds pretty meh....

Ah, probably has integration then with the Xiaomi AI device which sells for about 80 dollars but only communicates in Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

iba wrote: »
    Ah, probably has integration then with the Xiaomi AI device which sells for about 80 dollars but only communicates in Chinese.

Ah! AI Nihaoma!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ive this one. Both Ethernet and USB hubs work fine on the Mi Box.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-20265-1000Mbit-Ethernet-Adapters-1000-Mbit/dp/B00LLUEJFU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1517613272&sr=8-5&keywords=ugreen+ethernet+adapter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can anyone recommend a simple airmouse controller for a non-tech mammy?

Getting http://amzn.eu/dWyhDvx that'll be used for the Plex client but looking for something that is easier to use than the current mini wireless keyboard that I have (too many buttons that aren't needed for the Plex client).

Dunno if it's any good to you but if you use a box that is Android TV imo it's a lot more user friendly. No need for an airmouse at all.

Dunno if it's any good to you but if you use a box that is Android TV imo it's a lot more user friendly. No need for an airmouse at all.
    Existing TV is probably about 7 years old at this stage, and thus has no android built into it. Latest android box that I had was a Tronsmart Prometheus, but that died a one or two months back.

the_syco wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a simple airmouse controller for a non-tech mammy?

Getting http://amzn.eu/dWyhDvx that'll be used for the Plex client but looking for something that is easier to use than the current mini wireless keyboard that I have (too many buttons that aren't needed for the Plex client).
    The C120 is good. Small enough and simple to use. Normal remote on one side and a keyboard on the other. I only need to charge it every 4/6 weeks and it charges quick enough with a phones micro usb charger.
    Think their about €10.

This should be easy to work, looks similar to a regular remote and can copy TV remote (programmable), has a keyboard at the back should something buggy happen that needs a quickfix without remote support etc.
    Also backlight allows you to see what keys your pressing if you are watching a movie in the dark and want to pause/rewind/volume etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Backlit-MX3-Wireless-Keyboard-Rasberry/dp/B06Y3KXPXJ/

No doubt a couple of euro cheaper from China if you want to wait a month.

There are also many people selling them on Adverts for around €15 - €20.

Existing TV is probably about 7 years old at this stage, and thus has no android built into it. Latest android box that I had was a Tronsmart Prometheus, but that died a one or two months back.

I mean you could buy a box that is Android TV not the phone/tablet version of Android.
    Shield or Mi box would do the trick. I have the Shield and never used a airmouse with it. Had Mini before that and airmouse was a nessisity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

In all fairness, i really only use the airmouse when setting up which i dont think his mom will be doing.
    That said, i dont use plex so dont know if that works a bit with the standard mouse.

.red. wrote: »
    The C120 is good. Small enough and simple to use. Normal remote on one side and a keyboard on the other. I only need to charge it every 4/6 weeks and it charges quick enough with a phones micro usb charger.
    Think their about €10.
    Yup, looking for something like the non-keyboard side. Had something like the C120 before, but gave it along with the android stick at the time, as the person was using it for presentations on a projector screen.

But I found that when people were holding it, they had a tendency to press the keyboard buttons, and (somehow) exit the application that they are in :pac: Great fun.

From the replies, it seems that an airmouse is not what I'd be looking for the person (although it'd be what I'd use myself), but something along the lines of this would suit better.

Yup, looking for something like the non-keyboard side. Had something like the C120 before, but gave it along with the android stick at the time, as the person was using it for presentations on a projector screen.

But I found that when people were holding it, they had a tendency to press the keyboard buttons, and (somehow) exit the application that they are in :pac: Great fun.

From the replies, it seems that an airmouse is not what I'd be looking for the person (although it'd be what I'd use myself), but something along the lines of this would suit better.
    I've never had an issue with pressing buttons by mistake. I've also got a 2nd remote for another box, a Minix Neo A2, which is well over double the price of the C120 but I much prefer the cheaper one.
    The pointer on the C120 isn't as accurate as the A2 but it's much better in every other way and about half the size.

• Advertisement

That one you linked to is the Rii i7 rebranded https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Rii+i7

Is on the Chinese sites for around $12 - $14 but again, a few weeks delivery.

Advertisement