Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Question for those that are well up on this

Not Android box but a similar gadget needed.
    I have an old school seperates Hi-Fi unit that I wouldn't part with for the world as it is ( was in its day ) exceptionally high end and produces fantastic sound.

Is there a box similar to an android box that i could hook up to my amp via Optical or RCA that would stream music from a Nas drive ~ Wifi ~ Spotify etc?

I dont want to spend hundreds.
    If something around the price of an android box was available that would be cool.

Something like this but with Optical or RCA I would prefer

Music streamer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

vectra wrote: »

I have an old school seperates Hi-Fi unit that I wouldn't part with for the world as it is ( was in its day ) exceptionally high end and produces fantastic sound.

Is there a box similar to an android box that i could hook up to my amp via Optical or RCA that would stream music from a Nas drive ~ Wifi ~ Spotify etc?

If something around the price of an android box was available that would be cool.

Music streamer

Chromecast audio any good to you?
    (Not sure about NAS capability, but you could likely use LocalCast or similar)

It just has the 3.5mm headphone jack out though..
    I'm sure there's likely a more high end audio solution out there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Music streamer

Chromecast audio is what you want. I have one in the kitchen connected to an old Technics stereo. Great job. Can cast to it from any phone or laptop in the house or just tell the Google home to cast to it. I have even added a smart socket so i can remotely power it up using my phone or just tell the Google home

I use a 3.5mm to RCA cable with mine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Have you looked at Plex?
    https://www.plex.tv/features/music/

Chromecast audio is what you want. I have one in the kitchen connected to an old Technics stereo. Great job. Can cast to it from any phone or laptop in the house or just tell the Google home to cast to it. I have even added a smart socket so i can remotely power it up using my phone or just tell the Google home

I use a 3.5mm to RCA cable with mine

This kind of sounds what I am looking at,
    Do you notice any drop in sound quality through the 3.5?

• Advertisement

I don't have/use either, but there is another device that came out to compete with the Chromecast Audio.
    http://audiocast.io/

And there are a lot of review sites pitting the two against each other.
    https://goo.gl/LnfncT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

This kind of sounds what I am looking at,
    Do you notice any drop in sound quality through the 3.5?

No. Most of my music is in a high bitrate lossy format, not mp3. Be aware most streaming sites, Google play music and Spotify etc convert music to 320kbps mp3 quality.

No. Most of my music is in a high bitrate lossy format, not mp3. Be aware most streaming sites, Google play music and Spotify etc convert music to 320kbps mp3 quality.

Yes,
    Thanks
    I have a lot of mine on the nas in Flac format,
    I have some ogg files as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

An update here as I got some help.

I factory reset my x96 mini and after a few quick installs of this and that it works fine.

My problem was ignoring the pair requests that popped up within some of the apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Hi all looking to buy an Android TV box from Amazon - what would be the best one to buy ? Budget of about €60

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hi all looking to buy an Android TV box from Amazon - what would be the best one to buy ? Budget of about €60

Closer to €80 but if you want to buy from Amazon then the Fire TV is a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

If you can wait a week or two Amazon will have it on sale again no doubt along with all the Alexa junk like every other "sale" in the last year.

Easter sale.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    If you can wait a week or two Amazon will have it on sale again no doubt along with all the Alexa junk like every other "sale" in the last year.

Easter sale.
    +1

This week they were/are on sale in U.S. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/amazon-fire-tv-deals,news-26766.html so maybe another sale very soon over this side.

If you are only choosing Amazon for fast delivery/EU Geekbuying also have the Xiaomi Mi box for €68 from Italy with 2 day delivery https://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-381148.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Easter sale has started on Amazon. Fire TV and Fire Stick both have £10 off RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

yabadabado wrote: »
    Easter sale has started on Amazon. Fire TV and Fire Stick both have £10 off RRP.

Turns out it was a mere couple of hours, not weeks lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

My cs918 seems to have died,no video at all
    all of a sudden

I presume theres nothing u can do with it, never gave a bit of bother

The on button illuminates as.normal when you turn it on

muckbrien wrote: »
    My cs918 seems to have died,no video at all
    all of a sudden

I presume theres nothing u can do with it, never gave a bit of bother

The on button illuminates as.normal when you turn it on

Try resetting it, and if that does not help, try flashing it.

N.B. Make sure of the model you have before flashing. That box has many variants, both Rockchip and Amlogic, although most are RK3188.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Hate the way their is 400 boxes,

Want something that will stream Netflix and Showbox and terrium tv ( can I say that?) Not worried about IPTV

Issue is Google Chromecast won't reach my room but my current Android box works fine.

Will I just go mi box or will I get something cheaper that will do the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

but1er wrote: »

Want something that will stream Netflix and ***** and ***** ( can I say that?) Not worried about IPTV

Issue is Google Chromecast won't reach my room but my current Android box works fine.

Will I just go mi box or will I get something cheaper that will do the job

mi box will do or check H96 Pro+ with S912.

Netflix - yes
    Other 2 - No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Standalone devices that run Android TV proper seem awfully thin on the ground. Aside from the Shield and Mi Box, are there any others that are in production and on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Hi,

Can anyone point me towards an android box but is unrooted so I can run the Sky Go app? I bought a Beelink X2 a couple of years ago more as a cheap "proof of concept" device to show herself how good they can be but for the life of me I cannot unroot it, the low RAM and processor on this is beginning to show now as it even has issues buffering the rte player.

Any feedback is welcome.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    mi box will do or check H96 Pro+ with S912.

Netflix - yes
    Other 2 - No

Best site to but the h96 on? Sorry for the questions

Best site to but the h96 on? Sorry for the questions

I got mine off here. They have a 2 day delivery option

threein99 wrote: »
    I got mine off here. They have a 2 day delivery option

Sold out in Italy

Sold out in Italy

Try Germany

corwill wrote: »
    Standalone devices that run Android TV proper seem awfully thin on the ground. Aside from the Shield and Mi Box, are there any others that are in production and on sale?

Unofficial list (misses one or two)
    https://sites.google.com/view/droid-tv/

From their site
    Razer Forge, Nvidia and Xiaomi are the only non TV devices weirdly https://www.android.com/tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Want something that will stream Netflix and ******* and ******* ** ( can I say that?) Not worried about IPTV

Can you please read the thread title and not name apps or else yet another thread will be closed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Does anyone have any experience of this website? https://www.dd4.com/goods/MINIX-NEO-U9-H-4K2K-HDR-TV-BOX-Android-60_98377.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI24SJnZuP2gIVy5ztCh2W2gQdEAQYAiABEgIt1PD_BwE

Price looks too good to be true and with free shipping........ Getting an itchy trigger finger here.... :P :pac:

Advertisement