Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

BandMember wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience of this website? https://www.dd4.com/goods/MINIX-NEO-U9-H-4K2K-HDR-TV-BOX-Android-60_98377.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI24SJnZuP2gIVy5ztCh2W2gQdEAQYAiABEgIt1PD_BwE

Price looks too good to be true and with free shipping........ Getting an itchy trigger finger here.... :P :pac:
    I have used them a few times, haven't had reason to complain yet.
    They are a bit slow to mark out of stock items sometimes (possibly on purpose).
    They have seller ratings like Amazon/Aliexpress.
    If something is sold by DD4, it is like 'fulfilled by Amazon', but I am not 100% sure if they are also the seller (should not make much difference). Usually items marked 'sold by DD4' are from trusted sellers, but like most online marketplaces there can still be a dodgy seller/store or issues with post etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Suckit wrote: »
    I have used them a few times, haven't had reason to complain yet.
    They are a bit slow to mark out of stock items sometimes (possibly on purpose).
    They have seller ratings like Amazon/Aliexpress.
    If something is sold by DD4, it is like 'fulfilled by Amazon', but I am not 100% sure if they are also the seller (should not make much difference). Usually items marked 'sold by DD4' are from trusted sellers, but like most online marketplaces there can still be a dodgy seller/store or issues with post etc.

Thanks for the feedback, always good to hear from someone with first-hand experience of something. I've double checked and the item is marked as being "sold by DD4.com", so they should be legit (have 96.96% positive feedback on 5053 transactions). Plus, I would hope that I am safe if I use PayPal as I could open a dispute if the worst happened? Any idea what their shipping time is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Thanks for the feedback, always good to hear from someone with first-hand experience of something. I've double checked and the item is marked as being "sold by DD4.com", so they should be legit (have 96.96% positive feedback on 5053 transactions). Plus, I would hope that I am safe if I use PayPal as I could open a dispute if the worst happened? Any idea what their shipping time is like?

With the An Post issues with handling post from China you could be waiting for up to 2 months for delivery plus you run the risk of being caught for duty (23%) plus handling fee.
    Mush better IMO to spend a little more and buy from Europe..quick delivery and no customs and only €15 extra including delivery

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MINIX-NEO-U9-H-4K-HDR-Amlogic-S912-H-Android-TV-Box-382909.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone using the Mecool M8s Pro L?

Was looking at something else and noticed it. Seems like a very good box and relatively cheap(around 50 quid) . AT OS and Netflix 4K afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I would hope that I am safe if I use PayPal as I could open a dispute if the worst happened? Any idea what their shipping time is like?
    Sorry for delay, have been in and out all day. Yep safe enough with Paypal and their delivery speeds are decent. If you choose registered mail when an option, it will speed it up and is usually only $1 or $2. But NATLORs link looks the better option at €110, and no surprises at the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Hi All and I hope I am posting in the correct forum and topic.
    Before I start I want to say that I am a bit of a technophobe so please be gentle with your answers.

I purchased one of these Android boxes 2 years ago, mainly to watch sport on the telly.
    It is an M8S Android TV Box (fully loaded), Quad Core, 2GB RAM. The Android Version is 4.4.2. It worked reasonably well for a while, although the quality of picture left a lot to be desired in a lot of cases.

Recently (not sure exactly when) it has stopped working altogether.
    I am specifically trying to watch sport, going in via Kodi, Video, Add ons, SportsDevil
    When I click on Add ons I immediately get the following message 'Version Check Error - Check the log for more information'. As I try to navigate through the screens it returns to the main menu after 40 seconds, irrespective of where I am in the process. Can anybody offer any advice or has this particular piece of kit reached the end of its natural life.

If it has reached the end of its natural life, what should I get as a replacement and from whom.
    My simple spec is that it should be plug and play as much as possible (no significant set-up challenges), easy to use for a newbie, and give a good quality picture.

Any help and advice much appreciated but keep it simple for me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

@Cute Hoor: Did you not read the thread title? Because your post is completely about illegal discussion....

In short, your box is out of date (android 4.4.2) and not very good. Invest in a new one that is of better quality, plenty of recommendations on the thread. We cannot answer your other questions about individual add ons or streams, as per the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

@Cute Hoor: Did you not read the thread title? Because your post is completely about illegal discussion....

In short, your box is out of date (android 4.4.2) and not very good. Invest in a new one that is of better quality, plenty of recommendations on the thread. We cannot answer your other questions about individual add ons or streams, as per the thread title.

Thanks BandMember, and humblest apologies if I have breached any rules/regulations about asking illegal questions, a problem when you don't know what you are talking about in the first place.

Do the boxes that are mentioned earlier come ready to use or is there a complicated set-up procedure, hope this question is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

@ cutehoor
    You could download SPMC and install it on your box, works on older Android versions.
    It's not difficult, plenty of tutorials on youtube ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

There's a workaround allowing you install Kodi 17 on Kitkat that might well give your box and otherwise obsolete addons a new lease of life:

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/install-kodi-17-krypton-android-4-4-solved/

youtube tutorials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok managed to get some malware on the box and ended up doing a factory reset.

Pressed the power button and up came the recovery menu and I chose to do a factory reset. However each time its stuck on the Minix Logo and I can’t get it to re-boot. I took the micro card out and same issue. Is it a case of keep on trying? I was going to try to root it using the Finless option and put the files on micro sd card and try that or the finless ROM which is rooted already just need to check how to install that.

My questions are how can I reboot it so that I can get back to the menu and then update software OTA and if I root without ROM how can I update to the latest?

Cheers

Anyone thinking of buying a Shield. £150.19 at the moment.

amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Would the shield run an unrooted verison of Android does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Cute Hoor wrote: »

Thanks BandMember, and humblest apologies if I have breached any rules/regulations about asking illegal questions, a problem when you don't know what you are talking about in the first place.

Do the boxes that are mentioned earlier come ready to use or is there a complicated set-up procedure, hope this question is OK.
    Need to pm someone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

yabadabado wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of buying a Shield. £150.19 at the moment.

amazon

Trigger pulled, can't wait!

corwill wrote: »
    Trigger pulled, can't wait!

You won't be disappointed. Its a serious bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You won't be disappointed. Its a serious bit of kit.

"Usually despatched in 2-4 weeks" Is that the normal timescale?

"Usually despatched in 2-4 weeks" Is that the normal timescale?

May change in a few days buts it's coming from Amazon so it will be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Was on last week, ended up buying the x96 mini 2gb ram, delighted so far. No lagging works great. Very cheap and what I wanted, ask me in 6 weeks if it's still working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

SONOS is the best route if you dont mind spending the money, all the online stuff you can digest, Deezer do full FLAC online bit pricier, I've my sonos connected to NAS too if online goes down always something to listen too. SONOS will happily play NAS flac files too

Cant recommend SONOS highly enough !!!

vectra wrote: »
    Question for those that are well up on this

Not Android box but a similar gadget needed.
    I have an old school seperates Hi-Fi unit that I wouldn't part with for the world as it is ( was in its day ) exceptionally high end and produces fantastic sound.

Is there a box similar to an android box that i could hook up to my amp via Optical or RCA that would stream music from a Nas drive ~ Wifi ~ Spotify etc?

I dont want to spend hundreds.
    If something around the price of an android box was available that would be cool.

Something like this but with Optical or RCA I would prefer

Music streamer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Anyone using the Mecool M8s Pro L?

Was looking at something else and noticed it. Seems like a very good box and relatively cheap(around 50 quid) . AT OS and Netflix 4K afaik.

good box running on nexus android stock rom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Anyone being using a formuler z7+?
    Looking for a new toy and these seem to be getting popular.
    Have a shield and a mi box 4K but like the look of the UI on the formuler.
    €108 in satworld so tempted to go for it.
    Any bugs etc?
    I know there was a problem with the epg, has this been sorted?
    Cheers

iggy wrote: »
    Anyone being using a formuler z7+?
    Looking for a new toy and these seem to be getting popular.
    Have a shield and a mi box 4K but like the look of the UI on the formuler.
    €108 in satworld so tempted to go for it.
    Any bugs etc?
    I know there was a problem with the epg, has this been sorted?
    Cheers

I've had a Z7+ for around 3 months now. I got it solely to run IPTV and its simply the best box there is for that purpose due to the MTVOL app.I would highly recommend it if using for that reason.

I've no bugs in the time i've had the box. Yes the EPG has had slow loading problems but Formuler has released 2 beta fixes(which have all but sorted the problem) with a third due tomorrow so the general release should be in a week or so

NATLOR wrote: »
    I've had a Z7+ for around 3 months now. I got it solely to run IPTV and its simply the best box there is for that purpose due to the MTVOL app.I would highly recommend it if using for that reason.

I've no bugs in the time i've had the box. Yes the EPG has had slow loading problems but Formuler has released 2 beta fixes(which have all but sorted the problem) with a third due tomorrow so the general release should be in a week or so

Thanks I'll go for one so.
    Satworld or megavision best place to get one?

Thanks I'll go for one so.
    Satworld or megavision best place to get one?

i got mine from the UK they weren't available here at the time. Never used either of those before

NATLOR wrote: »
    i got mine from the UK they weren't available here at the time. Never used either of those before

Picking one up today from Satworld.
    Looking forward to trying it.
    Do u configure it the same way as a mag?

Picking one up today from Satworld.
    Looking forward to trying it.
    Do u configure it the same way as a mag?

Yeah. Just open the app then menu on remote control then portals and just add the portal URL.I use a wireless keyboard when adding any text its much quicker than the remote control

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Ok managed to get some malware on the box and ended up doing a factory reset.

Pressed the power button and up came the recovery menu and I chose to do a factory reset. However each time its stuck on the Minix Logo and I can’t get it to re-boot. I took the micro card out and same issue. Is it a case of keep on trying? I was going to try to root it using the Finless option and put the files on micro sd card and try that or the finless ROM which is rooted already just need to check how to install that.

My questions are how can I reboot it so that I can get back to the menu and then update software OTA and if I root without ROM how can I update to the latest?

Cheers

Dont know if you got sorted but that Finless rom is immense! The box doubles in speed and everything (Plex included) works perfectly. Would highly recommend it.

Very easy to install the cfw, just get the USB Burning Tool from the Minix website and connect the U1 to your usb port with a OTG cable. Takes around 5 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

For anyone looking for football check out NaviXsport from the playstore.
    Not quite HD quality but it is very good with no buffering. Far better than the free streams from add-ons on Kodi.
    I presume it's ok to post it here as it's from the playstore with no editing or tweaks needed for it to work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

branners69 wrote: »
    Dont know if you got sorted but that Finless rom is immense! The box doubles in speed and everything (Plex included) works perfectly. Would highly recommend it.

Very easy to install the cfw, just get the USB Burning Tool from the Minix website and connect the U1 to your usb port with a OTG cable. Takes around 5 minutes!

Yeah loaded it up and working fine. Just one issue with settings changing for sound and have to change it sometimes to Auto. Was looking at the marshmallow rom but Finless is fine for the moment.

Advertisement