Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 on the Pipo? Just looking online, and it seems like Win 8.1 and Win 10 are both the same performance wise, with a slight advantage to Windows 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Lads the picture when playing A video on the box is off center?any ideas how to correct this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Benzino wrote: »
    Did you upgrade to Windows 10 on the Pipo? Just looking online, and it seems like Win 8.1 and Win 10 are both the same performance wise, with a slight advantage to Windows 10.

I haven't updated it
    Was reading about security issues with Windows 10 so held off must get back to checking out the reviews
    Bill Gates giving away free stuff :eek: but thats just the conspiracy theorist in me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am a newbie for Kodi as well.

If you could PM me for secret apps too, that would be great :)
    Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

I'll take a PM with these "secret apps" as well - seeing as they're going, like.... :P

• Advertisement

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Lads the picture when playing A video on the box is off center?any ideas how to correct this?

If you are playing a stream, move the mouse around until you get the "toolbar" coming up on the screen. You'll see an icon that looks like a movie reel there. Click on it and then change the viewing mode to "Stretch to 16:9" (or whatever format you prefer). Once you have done this, make sure that you go down to the bottom of the pop up options and click on "Set As Default For All Videos" and that way, your setting will be saved.

You can also edit the sound and subtitles option by clicking on their icon in the same toolbar (speaker icon beside the movie reel icon).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

BandMember wrote: »
    If you are playing a stream, move the mouse around until you get the "toolbar" coming up on the screen. You'll see an icon that looks like a movie reel there. Click on it and then change the viewing mode to "Stretch to 16:9" (or whatever format you prefer). Once you have done this, make sure that you go down to the bottom of the pop up options and click on "Set As Default For All Videos" and that way, your setting will be saved.

You can also edit the sound and subtitles option by clicking on their icon in the same toolbar (speaker icon beside the movie reel icon).

I might not set it for all videos because it might just be the broadcast format for that one video.
    Also is the guy seeing this while using Kodi or just in general on an Android box?

If it's a general Android screen/video playback you might need to adjust the screen size setting,in the Android Display settings.
    Or if it's in Kodi do as mentioned in the quote or check the Video Calibration settings in Kodi>Settings>System>Video Output and open Video Calibration.

I set all my Kodi devices video settings to "Stretch to 16:9" as the default setting. That way, no matter what format the stream is in, it automatically fits it to full screen on my telly so you don't end up with black bars (in widescreen or 4:3 format) and the picture off centre or whatever....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

BandMember wrote: »
    I set all my Kodi devices video settings to "Stretch to 16:9" as the default setting. That way, no matter what format the stream is in, it automatically fits it to full screen on my telly so you don't end up with black bars (in widescreen or 4:3 format) and the picture off centre or whatever....

It's up to yourself really,but the native playback set is 4:3 and it depends on the output of the individual link or file currently being played back.

This whole 4:3 or 16:9 thing is sorted in the current Kodi 16 build(Non-Linear Stretch).It now fixes the aspect of 4:3 and fills the screen without any alterations or skewing being done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

enno99 wrote: »
    I haven't updated it
    Was reading about security issues with Windows 10 so held off must get back to checking out the reviews
    Bill Gates giving away free stuff :eek: but thats just the conspiracy theorist in me :D

Oh I wasn't aware of any security issues, though there usually area bunch with a new OS now that you mention it. I haven't used either OS, still on win on the desktop, but seems like everybody loves windows 10. My main worry would be losing the switch to android app/shortcut.

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    Oh I wasn't aware of any security issues, though there usually area bunch with a new OS now that you mention it. I haven't used either OS, still on win on the desktop, but seems like everybody loves windows 10. My main worry would be losing the switch to android app/shortcut.

Im posting as abit of fun
    mods can delete or I can if anyone objects

http://www.siliconirelandnewswire.com/2015/08/windows-10-security-issues.html

ESET’s security researcher Aryeh Goretsky pointed out in his latest article, that it always makes sense to review the privacy settings and the policies of whatever software or services you are using, and Windows 10 is no exception. Before making the decision to migrate from Windows 7 or 8, you should carefully review these and think about what the implications might be to your home or business.

This data could then be used for various purposes, by various parties, should they gain access to it. Even if it is only looking at the captured metadata and not the actual communications themselves, the metadata may be considered enough to justify extreme actions: Gen. Michael Hayden, former head of the NSA, stated last year “We kill people based on metadata.”

Sorry
    I don t know any secret apps the PM to Benzino was about a website and you tube channel I keep an eye on which i think a good source

Its just that we cant post on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Does anyone know how to turn off a box running kit kat with a wireless key board, I can't figure it out, it's the r2 i8, shaped like a batman symbol

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mightyreds wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to turn off a box running kit kat with a wireless key board, I can't figure it out, it's the r2 i8, shaped like a batman symbol

For some reason,some don't turn boxes off.I have to use the remote to turn mine off and on and then use the keyboard for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

zerks wrote: »
    For some reason,some don't turn boxes off.I have to use the remote to turn mine off and on and then use the keyboard for everything else.

I think I might be in the same boat may get batteries now for the remote

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭dahat

mightyreds wrote: »

Have same remote or like it and it isn't possible.

dahat wrote: »
    Have same remote or like it and it isn't possible.

I found that it just puts the box into standby.

BTW,any thoughts on the box I linked to a couple of posts back? Go for that or the Tronsmart 2g RAM one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

how could i turn off the M8s box using R2 i8 wireless keyboard?

BTW,any thoughts on the box I linked to a couple of posts back? Go for that or the Tronsmart 2g RAM one?

Box is cheap but apparently alot of the M8 are clone these days, o have one two years nearly with OE on it and its flawless for me.
    I'd chance it at the price but that's the bargain hunter in me!

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Box is cheap but apparently alot of the M8 are clone these days, o have one two years nearly with OE on it and its flawless for me.
    I'd chance it at the price but that's the bargain hunter in me!

Might just go for the Tronsmart one,not much difference in price after shipping cost.Seems like the M8 has problems with H.265 decoding.

Might just go for the Tronsmart one,not much difference in price after shipping cost.Seems like the M8 has problems with H.265 decoding.

Not seen much h265 or noticed it if so. Plays what I need it to so all is good.

Will likely upgrade to a PI2 sometime soon for real Open Elec.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

anybody with a pm regarding kodi apps would be a champ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

been monitoring thread looking at buying an android box. I currently have kodi installed on laptop and hook this up to tv. I can update it myself and add any add on's from mjd.

Is it worth getting an android box and are they easy to update ala kodi updates

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jackdalad23

I got a Minix Neo X8 few months back and its the job. Just installed all the usual apps and I dont really bother with tv channels anymore. Stay away from cheap knockoff boxes. They`ll work fine for a short time and then just die. Got mine including air gyro mouse for about €150. Never looked back

I got a Minix Neo X8 few months back and its the job. Just installed all the usual apps and I dont really bother with tv channels anymore. Stay away from cheap knockoff boxes. They`ll work fine for a short time and then just die. Got mine including air gyro mouse for about €150. Never looked back

Tbh there is no need to spend that kind of cash but you did and it works a treat. To each their own I suppose.

I personally would never spend that much 80 max or I would just get a windows based os box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Yeah, I'm the same ordered mine last November, so exchange rate was more favourable and worked out about €130 odd including A2 airmouse/keyboard.

Its absolutely flawless, any problems I've had have been generally down to the source rather than the box.

Its been so good, that I've not got around to updating the firmware yet, and I'm still on 001, rather than 007 or whatever the current one is.
    Cant fault it, and I'd expect it to give me another 2/3 years of flawless service rather than buying a cheapie and looking to change it out for a newer one every 9 months to a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Went for this one after a very good read of the thread this morning so thanks to everyone for the info

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/401001035506?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Lads looking for a new android box after successful setup of kodi on my phone....any suggestions....would prefer entry level stuff which just does the job...thnks...

• Advertisement

tharmor wrote: »
    Lads looking for a new android box after successful setup of kodi on my phone....any suggestions....would prefer entry level stuff which just does the job...thnks...

MXQ and bang Open Elec on it, away for slates then.

Look for Kerbers Open Elec builds on Google.

Advertisement