Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

kala85 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good kodi or android box for a novice.

The Xiaomi Mi Box is decent for around €50
    There are a few decent ones cheaper.
    The Tanix TX3 mini is decent and has decent firmware - https://www.geekbuying.com/item/TANIX-TX3-MINI-KODI-17-3-S905W-2gb-16GB-4K-TV-Box-384467.html

They sell out quite quickly though, and on that site, when the shipping price goes up it usually means low on stock on a popular item i find.
    It is on a load of other sites too, Amazon, Aliexpress, Banggood, Joybuy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Right lads,
    I got the Mag 256, ended up with the W2 which has the (supposedly) better WiFi.
    I've set it up and been messing about all afternoon with it. So far so good.
    I get what people were saying about it being very basic compared to others, it does seem that way but it's exactly what I wanted(for my 70yo dad).
    Got it in Ireland for €96 delivered which was a nice bit cheaper than eBay, Amazon and UK sites.
    One thing I noticed was the internal speed test says it's receiving 13mbps, my neo U1 gets about 35mbps so I'm guessing the WiFi signal isn't brilliant. I'll be using a home plug in my dad's house so that shouldn't be an issue but it might be for others.
    Obviously I haven't used it enough for a proper review but first impressions are good. Hopefully he likes it and is able to work his way around the menu.
    Thanks for the recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ignore the speed test mate its never accurate but if you can at all just keep it hard wired.

The box is only as good as the sub your using so of you get that right it's 90 percent of the battle.

I think I'm mad but I'm going to get a shield to see what all the fuss is about. Where is the best place to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think I'm mad but I'm going to get a shield to see what all the fuss is about. Where is the best place to get one?

Amazon seems to be the best price around, definitely not an option to buy locally anyway as they seem to be only in Currys for €250! Good choice, you won't regret it! :D

• Advertisement

BandMember wrote: »
    Amazon seems to be the best price around, definitely not an option to buy locally anyway as they seem to be only in Currys for €250! Good choice, you won't regret it! :D

Do they come with the gamepad too Mate? And are they all same spec? Think it's only 16gb storage Yeah?

Edit:

Screenshot_20180831-230538.jpg

This look Ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

jayo26 wrote: »
    Do they come with the gamepad too Mate? And are they all same spec? Think it's only 16gb storage Yeah?

Edit:

Screenshot_20180831-230538.jpg

This look Ok?
    Yea. Got one on for £159 with controller think it was black Friday.
    Complete overkill for me as I tried a few of the gaming emulators and wasn't for me.
    If it's only iptv and a few of the other apps then plenty of cheaper boxes perform perfectly.
    I have a Formuler Z7 + which I hate, xiaomi mi box 4k, firestick 2nd gen, and a A95x Pro..
    If I was to recommend one I'd go for xiaomi mi box 4k with a ethernet adapter although the WiFi on it is very good and it has Oreo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

iggy wrote: »
    Complete overkill for me as I tried a few of the gaming emulators and wasn't for me.
    If it's only iptv and a few of the other apps then plenty of cheaper boxes perform perfectly.
    I have a Formuler Z7 + which I hate, xiaomi mi box 4k, firestick 2nd gen, and a A95x Pro..
    If I was to recommend one I'd go for xiaomi mi box 4k with a ethernet adapter although the WiFi on it is very good and it has Oreo

do not update a mi box to oreo if you get one. lots of issues, they are getting addressed but not all addressed yet ....the latest marshmallow build is best on this box at moment.

iggy wrote: »

I buy and sell a few boxs so have tried most of them. The shield probably will be a bit overkill but sure you only once haha I might dabble in a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Forums

Upgrades from Zgemma to Formuler F7 for IPTV and just getting to grips with things.
    Just a few questions:
    How do I initialise a usb stick? How do I access recordings on the box?

Is there a way to flick through separate bouquets on epg similar to zgemma? For example if im watching a movie channel and press epg I'm only seeing movie epg if I want to see what's on sports channel I have to switch on sports channel and press epg.

What timeshift settings should I use if I want to rewind and pause a live IPTV channel?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Done the deed will have my shield Thursday or Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I've a few boxes too and gone thru a few in my time also, The Sheild is great and as others have said overkill if not playing games, think I picked up gamepad maybe dozen times, I've three boxes on go at the moment and would rate them for me

1) Sheild
    2) MiBox4k
    3) Beelink GT1

BobMc wrote: »
    I've a few boxes too and gone thru a few in my time also, The Sheild is great and as others have said overkill if not playing games, think I picked up gamepad maybe dozen times, I've three boxes on go at the moment and would rate them for me

1) Sheild
    2) MiBox4k
    3) Beelink GT1

I've done a bit if research since and the Nvidia Now looks quiet good, have you tried it much? Does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I've the sheild just over a year, its well used, kids, wife, myself, its good, never crashes, its on older tv but good graphics, usual apps all run smooth, also have connected to NAS storage its good, I probably should move to main living room tv (58" HDR) but too lazy, as most would agree its expensive but does what its supposed to very well and some

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Any discount codes for geekbuying?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Any discount codes for geekbuying?

There are a few crappy ones. They seem to have upped their prices for Tomatina or whatever it's called and then brought in some codes that only work on a limited number of products. What I normally do when they do this, is wait a week or so. The EU Warehouse sale seems to be oos of most things
    Some codes here
    http://promotion.geekbuying.com/promotion/tv_box_mini_pc_sale
    https://irishcoupons.net/s/geekbuying-com-ie/
    https://www.retailmenot.ca/coupons/geekbuying.com
    https://www.retailmenot.com/view/geekbuying.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Is there a thread of the Xiaomi Mi Box...Just got one yesterday. Couple of questions about it. Managed to install the apps i wanted (needed a youtube guide and the downloader app to do it)

I've the screen resolution set to auto but the its seems to be selecting 720p 60hz (i've a 4k telly)?
    Can i remove the google movies ads which are on the home screen? Can I remove the Mi Box recommends row?

20180907_084851.jpg

No work for me today :):):)

It's alot smaller then I expected but it feels really strong and solid the controller and remote are excellent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I ordered a Mi box from grearbest on 10/08/18, only got a dispatch email on 30/08/18 and am obviously still awaiting delivery. Is this normal for such devices?

Any little bits I've bought from them have been here in a little over a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

theteal wrote: »
    I ordered a Mi box from grearbest on 10/08/18, only got a dispatch email on 30/08/18 and am obviously still awaiting delivery. Is this normal for such devices?

Any little bits I've bought from them have been here in a little over a week.

Its normal for Gearbest

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Its normal for Gearbest

And typically, it arrives the day after I moan about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

i've got the buzz tv box a week now and absolutely love it https://www.iptvinsider.com/buzztv-xpl-3000-review/ , add in live nettv and an app for movies/shows and your on the pigs back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I have an old MK808B ......have never used.....

My mate has an Eir subscription but changed from Sky to Virgin and can't use Eir.....he was looking for something to play the Eir app

Anyone know if I could maybe flash to a version of Android which would support the Eir app?

Requires Android
    4.4 and up

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Not sure if this should be a new thread ! !
    I have an android box that i use occasionally - It's software version is Android 4.4.2.
    Uploading a Netflix App requires Android version 5.0 or later.
    Backing up prior to upgrading to a later version is the recommended procedure (? ? ?)
    When I select backup - I get a screen that reads as follows:-
    "A full backup of all data to a connected desktop computer has been requested. Do you want this to happen. If you did not request the backup yourself do not allow the operation to proceed.
    If you wish to encrypt the full backup data enter a password below.....xxxxxxx??!!........."
    This is followed by a choice Do not backup / Backup my Data.

I am not exactly a Luddite.... but this process is Virgin territory.....in that I was not connected at the time to a desktop computer ......but had a flash drive in the USB slot.

I would appreciate a little help on how to achieve my objective (if the Android software can indeed be upgraded to version ??? or not at all)

Thanks in anticipation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

If your box is running 4.4.2, then your best option is to upgrade to a new box as most apps require at least 5.0 as a minimum requirement and your only going to encounter more problems as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

BandMember wrote: »
    If your box is running 4.4.2, then your best option is to upgrade to a new box as most apps require at least 5.0 as a minimum requirement and your only going to encounter more problems as time goes on.

Thanks .....that's bad news (and so quickly) :(

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Thanks .....that's bad news (and so quickly) :(

You could look at putting LibreElec on it, but I am not sure the unofficial eir addon works anymore.

So initial impressions of the Mi box are good.

One problem, setting it to full 4K is a no no? The very first thing I did after setup was watch a 4K YouTube video and it caused the box to crash. . . twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What's the best android TV box to buy other than Shield and Mi Box?
    Needs to be ATV as person buying is used to that but Shiled isn't needed and wants a ethernet connection. I know the adoptor works for Mi Box but couldn't convince my mate.

Advertisement