Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

yabadabado wrote: »
    What's the best android TV box to buy other than Shield and Mi Box?
    Needs to be ATV as person buying is used to that but Shiled isn't needed and wants a ethernet connection. I know the adoptor works for Mi Box but couldn't convince my mate.

You could get one of the ones with ATV skin/mod.
    It's not official ATV but works just like it.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-M8S-PRO-W-S905W-2GB-16GB-TV-Box-with-Voice-Control-393661.html
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Nexbox-A95X-Pro-2GB-16GB-S905W-TV-BOX-398644.html
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-M8S-PRO-L-Android-TV-3GB-16GB-TV-Box-with-Voice-Control-398193.html

I'm pretty sure there are a few others around too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I've just been given a Mi box which may or may not be faulty. My mam had issues with IPTV on it even with the usb Ethernet adapter that went away when we swapped it out for a Shield. I now have it setup in my kitchen where I'll only be using it for Emby and casting YouTube.

My issue is it's stuck on version 6.0 of Android TV. In About it shows that there is a new update available but this fails to download when I try to download it. I've tried what I've seen suggested online, disconnecting Ethernet and trying wireless but cannot get the latest version to download. Did anyone have this issue or know of a fix.

I've just been given a Mi box which may or may not be faulty. My mam had issues with IPTV on it even with the usb Ethernet adapter that went away when we swapped it out for a Shield. I now have it setup in my kitchen where I'll only be using it for Emby and casting YouTube.

My issue is it's stuck on version 6.0 of Android TV. In About it shows that there is a new update available but this fails to download when I try to download it. I've tried what I've seen suggested online, disconnecting Ethernet and trying wireless but cannot get the latest version to download. Did anyone have this issue or know of a fix.

I got this sorted, it was my Pihole adblocking DNS server blocking access to the Xiaomi site used to host the files for download. It downloaded fine once the URL was whitelisted.

The MiBox is working quite well. It's a good bit slower than my Shield but runs Emby and YouTube well. It's ideal as a cheaper option for my kitchen as my TV is only 720p. I've not tried IPTV on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

IPTV works perfect on Mi Box.
    Edit:
    Using STB Emulator.

IPTV works perfect on Mi Box.
    Edit:
    Using STB Emulator.

For some. This MiBox was previously deemed faulty as it couldn't maintain a good enough connection for YouTube, Netflix or perfect player using an Ethernet to usb adapter. I have done a factory reset and installed the latest version 8.0 of Android TV to see if it's ok. My brother returned a MiBox to Amazon for similar issues. Seems it's hit or miss for these MiBox. I definitely wouldn't recommend one for 4K.

Both MiBoxs were replaced with Shields which worked flawlessly from day one

• Advertisement

Can't really compare a Mi Box to a Shield.
    It's bargain basement to top of the range.

Have IPTV running on 2 Mi Boxs for over a year without any major issue .

Can't really compare a Mi Box to a Shield.
    It's bargain basement to top of the range.

Have IPTV running on 2 Mi Boxs for over a year without any major issue .

I wasn't comparing, working on the Shield proves there was nothing wrong with the streams or the connection. The issues were with the MiBoxs

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Still enjoying the formuler z7+ having moved from zgemma. Epg is quick now, addressing the main pain point i had earlier this year. Iptv itself via sub has disappointed of late having been bulletproof at the start of the year. Weekend events are juttery when I guess demand is higher. Would appreciate a pm from anyone who has a solid sub / recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

Has anyone gotten Eirsport Just Mobile working on a box/fire stick?

PMC83 wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten Eirsport Just Mobile working on a box/fire stick?

I only ever came across one person with that issue. They officially don't support Android boxes. I am not sure how, maybe detecting root etc.
    - Super SU has a function that allows you to temporarily unroot if you want to try it.
    But the way he got around it in the end was to cast it from his phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Sorry for the following question.
    Can anyone tell me what is the best Android box to buy. Not Nvidia, this is intended for use by my old man.
    I need to buy it asap.
    Thanks all - Also I can't wait for china post and the like, I need to buy it next week.

6541 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what is the best Android box to buy. Not Nvidia, this is intended for use by my old man.
    I need to buy it asap.
    Thanks all - Also I can't wait for china post and the like, I need to buy it next week.

The Xiaomi Mi Box is the next best Android box available after the Sheild. It runs official Android TV and is well supported through updates.

The Xiaomi Mi Box is the next best Android box available after the Sheild. It runs official Android TV and is well supported through updates.

Thanks so much.

Thanks so much.

One thing I noticed does it have an Ethernet port. Wireless can be crap

No ethernet port but can get an adaptor.

Yeah it's an idiotic omission. You can get an adapter which I'd advise doing of you have Ethernet at the TV

UGREEN 20265 RJ45 Ethernet Adapter with USB 3.0 Hub and Gigabit Ethernet Port Support 10/100/1000Mbps https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LLUEJFU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_IPPPBb7E8K980

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

I need to buy it asap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Octo-core-Supports-Ethernet-Bluetooth-black/dp/B06ZZJ4HFP/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1537645255&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=h96+pro+%2B&psc=1

These are good.too, get.it. off Amazon UK

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damoedge

I need to buy it asap.

Get a Mecool M8S pro L
    It's the one of the best boxes on the market right now and the only reasonable priced box that supports Netflix 4K ...widevine L1 ;)

Suckit wrote: »
    I only ever came across one person with that issue. They officially don't support Android boxes. I am not sure how, maybe detecting root etc.
    - Super SU has a function that allows you to temporarily unroot if you want to try it.
    But the way he got around it in the end was to cast it from his phone.

Or instead of using SU use Magisk as it hides root from other apps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Damoedge wrote:
    Get a Mecool M8S pro L It's the one of the best boxes on the market right now and the only reasonable priced box that supports Netflix 4K ...widevine L1

Had a loan of one of these recently, very nice little box, was very well setup with stb to, remote was a little iffy though

• Advertisement

Damoedge wrote: »
    Get a Mecool M8S pro L
    It's the one of the best boxes on the market right now and the only reasonable priced box that supports Netflix 4K ...widevine L1 ;)

This looks good and has Ethernet. How is it for updates? Is Oreo available for it yet?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Had a loan of one of these recently, very nice little box, was very well setup with stb to, remote was a little iffy though

All remotes that come with any android box are a bit iffy...your better off buying an air mouse straight away for your box..so much easier to use...here is one of the best air mouse out there and it's cheap....

https://m.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?isRefine=true&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1311.R3.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmx3.TRS0&_nkw=mx3+air+mouse&_sacat=0&_trksid=m570.l1311.R3.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmx3.TRS0&_mwBanner=1

This looks good and has Ethernet. How is it for updates? Is Oreo available for it yet?

It's has the latest S912 soc and it is good for updates but if you want to put some different Rom on it you have a few choices on this site....

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s912/mecool/firmware-roms/676338-rom-mecool-m8s-pro-l-tvstock-nexus-rom-android-tv-7-1

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s912/mecool

I did a lot of research lately and this seems to be the best box for your money at the moment...

It's has the latest S912 soc and it is good for updates but if you want to put some different Rom on it you have a few choices on this site....

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s912/mecool/firmware-roms/676338-rom-mecool-m8s-pro-l-tvstock-nexus-rom-android-tv-7-1

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s912/mecool

I did a lot of research lately and this seems to be the best box for your money at the moment...

No official Oreo support through updates like the Shield and MiBox get? That's a huge drawback to what looks like great hardware, and a reason to stay away tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I like the C120, comes under a few different brand names but mine is Plater. I presume their all the same bar the brand sticker.
    It's very cheap, you'd get one delivered for about€15.
    I've also got a Minix remote that's about €30+ but much rather the C120.

No official Oreo support through updates like the Shield and MiBox get? That's a huge drawback to what looks like great hardware, and a reason to stay away tbh.

From what I read in the past few weeks when doing research on boxes...Android 5.1 seems to run that best on theses boxes...so it depends on what your needs are...like with good hardware on a box that's capable of handling any stream what difference does the version of Android make?

I'd be more looking at the hardware specs of a box for future proofing...;)

From what I read in the past few weeks when doing research on boxes...Android 5.1 seems to run that best on theses boxes...so it depends on what your needs are...like with good hardware on a box that's capable of handling any stream what difference does the version of Android make?

I'd be more looking at the hardware specs of a box for future proofing...;)

Android is evolving and is all about support, developers support the latest versions and drop support for older versions. This box ends up being like all the Chinese hacked Android boxes, you get a year or so out of it, then have no choice but buy again to run the latest Kodi etc. Compare that to the Shield was released in 2015 and is getting continuous support through updates. The MiBox is also well supported and has been updated to Oreo.

This is a google certified Android TV OS running Android 8.0 - https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KM8-Amlogic-S905X-Android-TV-OS-2GB-16GB-TV-Box-403097.html

Plays Youtube 4K no problem. (Among others)
    4k hdr demo 60fps wildlife video for 4k oled tv 1920x1080
    4k hdr demo 60fps wildlife video for 4k oled tv 2560x1440
    4k hdr demo 60fps wildlife video for 4k oled tv 3840x2160
    Peru 8K HDR 60FPS 1920x1080
    Peru 8K HDR 60FPS 2560x1440
    Peru 8K HDR 60FPS 3840x2160
    Peru 8K HDR 60FPS 7680x4320

The only one it did not work on was the last one in full 8k resolution, just a black screen.

vNUflXI.jpg?1

Android is evolving and is all about support, developers support the latest versions and drop support for older versions. This box ends up being like all the Chinese hacked Android boxes, you get a year or so out of it, then have no choice but buy again to run the latest Kodi etc. Compare that to the Shield was released in 2015 and is getting continuous support through updates. The MiBox is also well supported and has been updated to Oreo.

Yes of course l agree with you on that one about the updates and it is the same with phones too...but...we all can't afford nearly €250 for a tv box (that actually has a shelf life to) when we can get a box less than quarter of that price that does more or less the same thing as the shield and in fairness will last a few years too...I'm not one to fork out ridiculous money paying for a brand name..they are always away over priced...that's just my opinion...but hey we are all different.....

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    This is a google certified Android TV OS running Android 8.0 - https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KM8-Amlogic-S905X-Android-TV-OS-2GB-16GB-TV-Box-403097.html

Plays Youtube 4K no problem. (Among others)
    4k hdr demo 60fps wildlife video for 4k oled tv 1920x1080
    4k hdr demo 60fps wildlife video for 4k oled tv 2560x1440
    4k hdr demo 60fps wildlife video for 4k oled tv 3840x2160
    Peru 8K HDR 60FPS 1920x1080
    Peru 8K HDR 60FPS 2560x1440
    Peru 8K HDR 60FPS 3840x2160
    Peru 8K HDR 60FPS 7680x4320

The only one it did not work on was the last one in full 8k resolution, just a black screen.

vNUflXI.jpg?1

Looks like a good box alright...check on freaktab for information..reviews and what people are saying about it...then make your decision...

Advertisement