Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Damoedge wrote: »
    Yes of course l agree with you on that one about the updates and it is the same with phones too...but...we all can't afford nearly €250 for a tv box (that actually has a shelf life to) when we can get a box less than quarter of that price that does more or less the same thing as the shield and in fairness will last a few years too...I'm not one to fork out ridiculous money paying for a brand name..they are always away over priced...that's just my opinion...but hey we are all different.....

If you had bothered to read the thread, you would have seen that myself and others have had a lot of problems with the Mi Box. It's cheap because it's a piece of rubbish. As many have said, you get what you pay for and if you want a good box that performs well and will last you a long time, you will have to pay for it.

For the record, you can get the Shield for around €170 and the Minix Neo U-9 for €130. Both are a miles better than the Mi Box, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Yes of course l agree with you on that one about the updates and it is the same with phones too...but...we all can't afford nearly €250 for a tv box (that actually has a shelf life to) when we can get a box less than quarter of that price that does more or less the same thing as the shield and in fairness will last a few years too...I'm not one to fork out ridiculous money paying for a brand name..they are always away over priced...that's just my opinion...but hey we are all different.....

Get the MiBox then, it's getting support, it got Oreo and a few updates and fixes since. Why buy a box that already has an out of date software and looks to most likely stay on that Android version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭batistuta9

tbh if all you're doing is streaming from unofficial sources you're better with a cheaper box & throwing libreelec on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damoedge

BandMember wrote: »
    If you had bothered to read the thread, you would have seen that myself and others have had a lot of problems with the Mi Box. It's cheap because it's a piece of rubbish. As many have said, you get what you pay for and if you want a good box that performs well and will last you a long time, you will have to pay for it.

For the record, you can get the Shield for around €170 and the Minix Neo U-9 for €130. Both are a miles better than the Mi Box, IMHO.

Well to be straight up with you no I couldn't be bothered to read over 400 pages of a thread...could you? Lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

After a month with the MiBox I'd happily sell it at this stage! Bit of a let down after expecting too much from it.

Think I'll stick to my Intel NUC!

• Advertisement

Newtown90 wrote: »
    After a month with the MiBox I'd happily sell it at this stage! Bit of a let down after expecting too much from it.

Think I'll stick to my Intel NUC!

Yeah the MiBox is fine for a secondary box, I have one at the kitchen TV. For my main sitting room TV I've always had something decent, I built a HTPC but now I use a Shield.

Get the MiBox then, it's getting support, it got Oreo and a few updates and fixes since. Why buy a box that already has an out of date software and looks to most likely stay on that Android version.

A few reasons why I would bother to buy the M8S pro L..

1. It's the only box out there right now that has the most custom Roms for it...and that alone speaks volumes about this box and the support it has on the net.

2. It has a lot of development going on for it and sorry but I would rather believe developers when they say it's a good box compared to a few Jo Soaps on here...

3. It supports Android tv, Open ATV and of course Android itself...which ever flavor you like you can put on the box...can the shield do this? I don't think so...

4. It has one of the best Soc's on it the S912...if you do some Google research you will see that the rest of the other chips are crap...over heating issues...it also has one of the best WiFi chips on board with the best WiFi download speeds out there...

5. It supports widevine L1 which means Netflix 4K and I don't have to pay €170 for that.

I spent a week of evenings researching these boxes and I know a lot being an Engineer.... and most people who know there stuff on different forums mainly developers recommend this box.

I would rather pay €50 for a box that can do more or less the same this as the shield at €170 which probably only costed €30 to make but as usual your paying through the nose for the name...

Yes it is cheap at about €50 and yes it will only last 2/3 years but hey I'd be getting fed up of it by then...same as phones too...that's just my opinions....

batistuta9 wrote: »
    tbh if all you're doing is streaming from unofficial sources you're better with a cheaper box & throwing libreelec on it.

So true ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

From what I read in the past few weeks when doing research on boxes...Android 5.1 seems to run that best on theses boxes...so it depends on what your needs are...like with good hardware on a box that's capable of handling any stream what difference does the version of Android make?

I'd be more looking at the hardware specs of a box for future proofing...;)

Agreed, the below summary from hometheatrelife sums it up..

"Meanwhile, the much more expensive Nvidia Shield TV runs rings around the Mecool M8S Pro L across the board, with incredible media playback, 4K Netflix, Kodi support and gaming performance thanks to its beastly Tegra X1 processor. However, despite it being our pick for the best Android TV box, not everyone will be able to be able to fork out nearly $200 for a media player."

A few reasons why I would bother to buy the M8S pro L..

1. It's the only box out there right now that has the most custom Roms for it...and that alone speaks volumes about this box and the support it has on the net.

2. It has a lot of development going on for it and sorry but I would rather believe developers when they say it's a good box compared to a few Jo Soaps on here...

3. It supports Android tv, Open ATV and of course Android itself...which ever flavor you like you can put on the box...can the shield do this? I don't think so...

4. It has one of the best Soc's on it the S912...if you do some Google research you will see that the rest of the other chips are crap...over heating issues...it also has one of the best WiFi chips on board with the best WiFi download speeds out there...

5. It supports widevine L1 which means Netflix 4K and I don't have to pay €170 for that.

I spent a week of evenings researching these boxes and I know a lot being an Engineer.... and most people who know there stuff on different forums mainly developers recommend this box.

I would rather pay €50 for a box that can do more or less the same this as the shield at €170 which probably only costed €30 to make but as usual your paying through the nose for the name...

Yes it is cheap at about €50 and yes it will only last 2/3 years but hey I'd be getting fed up of it by then...same as phones too...that's just my opinions....

I get what your saying. Maybe a few years ago..... I've been through all the flashing Android ROMs, tweaking and reinstalling to get the best performance on both phones and Android boxes. I just want something that gets official support which is why I have a phone that runs unrooted vanilla Android and a Shield (and MiBox on another TV)

I do still have a Enigma2 flashed satellite box but that's only because there's nothing available offers the range features off the shelf, but I don't constantly tweak it like I once did. I get a good setup, then don't touch it till it breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Well to be straight up with you no I couldn't be bothered to read over 400 pages of a thread...could you? Lol...

Nobody said that you had to - just even a few pages back or make some sort of effort....

Anyway, if you read the post after you posted that, you would see yet another poster having problems with the Mi Box. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Looks like a good box alright...check on freaktab for information..reviews and what people are saying about it...then make your decision...
    Already have it, was just showing what it has played so far :D

There is a FT thread here, I used to use it a lot, but I find it is now full of shills, end users clogging up threads with nonsense and paid devs. I haven't used it as much in a few years, barely go there tbh.
    There are quieter forums with better in depth, non-biased reviews and information.
    A fairly good, populated forum is 4pda - FT get a lot of their info and firmware from it (for the few that aren't tweaked by FT devs themselves).

The Xiaomi Mi Box is a great bit of kit. Very few users have issues, small minority. But the Mecool boxes are coming out with Android 8 and a choice of firmware (as mentioned) from the factory, so that coupled with Widevine L1 on them is going to be very hard to beat for the price.

I get what your saying. Maybe a few years ago..... I've been through all the flashing Android ROMs, tweaking and reinstalling to get the best performance on both phones and Android boxes. I just want something that gets official support which is why I have a phone that runs unrooted vanilla Android and a Shield (and MiBox on another TV)

I do still have a Enigma2 flashed satellite box but that's only because there's nothing available offers the range features off the shelf, but I don't constantly tweak it like I once did. I get a good setup, then don't touch it till it breaks.

I used to flash a lot myself but not too much anymore but then again I'm just after getting the Xiaomi Poco Phone so I'll be flashing again soon lol...

I have a H2s myself with just OpenAtv on it and i don't tweak it as it does the job just fine...

The M8S pro L is arriving tomorrow and sure I'll try it out and if I'm not happy with it after a few weeks I can sell it and try another...but I have a gut feeling I'll be happy with it...I'll just put a different Rom on it and see....

BandMember wrote: »
    Nobody said that you had to - just even a few pages back or make some sort of effort....

Anyway, if you read the post after you posted that, you would see yet another poster having problems with the Mi Box. ;)

I have read on the net a few weeks ago about all the problems with the Mi box and I'm actually very surprised it coming from Xiaomi.....but that's why I bought the M8S pro L as there doesn't seem to be many problems with it...well nothing that a flash can't sort out....

Suckit wrote: »
    Already have it, was just showing what it has played so far :D

There is a FT thread here, I used to use it a lot, but I find it is now full of shills, end users clogging up threads with nonsense and paid devs. I haven't used it as much in a few years, barely go there tbh.
    There are quieter forums with better in depth, non-biased reviews and information.
    A fairly good, populated forum is 4pda - FT get a lot of their info and firmware from it (for the few that aren't tweaked by FT devs themselves).

The Xiaomi Mi Box is a great bit of kit. Very few users have issues, small minority. But the Mecool boxes are coming out with Android 8 and a choice of firmware (as mentioned) from the factory, so that coupled with Widevine L1 on them is going to be very hard to beat for the price.

I read a lot on 4PDA too...thank feck for Google Chrome browser lol lol...it's a great source of information!

Yes I read about the new McCool boxes coming out but that was after I bought the M8S ... They will give the rest of them a good run for there money because in all fairness you can't get better bang for your buck on these boxes...

I read a lot on 4PDA too...thank feck for Google Chrome browser lol lol...it's a great source of information!

Yes I read about the new McCool boxes coming out but that was after I bought the M8S ... They will give the rest of them a good run for there money because in all fairness you can't get better bang for your buck on these boxes...

You'll be delighted to when you get your M8S Pro L this week then.... :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

What's the difference between that and the h96 pro +

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    Firmware and mainly Widevine L1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Firmware and mainly Widevine L1.

I'm very happy with the h96 pro plus tbh

Great performance for about 60 off Amazon

Can't go wrong at that price point

Will prob take a look at the m8s pro L next

I'm very happy with the h96 pro plus tbh

Great performance for about 60 off Amazon

Can't go wrong at that price point

Will prob take a look at the m8s pro L next

Yes, it is a good box.
    They're long past the day of churning out crap boxes with even worse firmware on them. Many of the companies have seen the money that is to be made by getting their brand known, and they actively try and release something that is good and with decent firmware. There are bugs and there are some boxes to avoid for sure, but it's nothing like it was a few years ago. I think it was 2013/14 they exploded and a load a sh!t boxes were everywhere.
    The M8S Pro L has Widevine L1 but doesn't have HDCP.
    Many boxes (depending on what exactly you are looking for) between €30 - €70 are perfect for the job that people want them for.

• Advertisement

I was gonna go for that one originally but then I saw there is a lot more support on the net for the M8S pro L...as in more custom Roms etc..and the M8S supports widevine L1

Haha yes kicked meself lol lol....ahh I'll probably change it next year for whatever bang for buck box is on the market at the time....sure it's nice to change every so often...that's why I wouldn't fork out so much dough for the shield because I know I'll get fed up of it defo after two years....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Frustrated with my EVANPO T95Z PLUS, but probably not a lot I can do. It plays certain popular US shows just fine e.g. NCIS. Others, smaller stuff (The Terror, Mr Mercedes), it just gives up after about 15-20 minutes in some cases, or stuff can be out of sync. I would guess it's more of a sourcing issue rather than the box.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Frustrated with my EVANPO T95Z PLUS, but probably not a lot I can do. It plays certain popular US shows just fine e.g. NCIS. Others, smaller stuff (The Terror, Mr Mercedes), it just gives up after about 15-20 minutes in some cases, or stuff can be out of sync. I would guess it's more of a sourcing issue rather than the box.

source and maybe app your using

And maybe firmware.

It could also be overheating, although not heard of it in a while for android boxes, it is an easy fix, but try a cpu temperature app.
    You could try ventilating it more, and adding a heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Haha yes kicked meself lol lol....ahh I'll probably change it next year for whatever bang for buck box is on the market at the time....sure it's nice to change every so often...that's why I wouldn't fork out so much dough for the shield because I know I'll get fed up of it defo after two years....
    Shield is unbeatable

Shield is unbeatable

Many people have a shield.
    Most that have one won't be buying one for every TV they own.
    Most don't need to/won't want to spend that much money on what is deemed overkill.
    There are two threads about the shield already, this is about all of the other android boxes that are worth getting and are around ⅙ of the price. Maybe some a little higher, some a little lower.
    It depends heavily on what you want to use it for.
    For example if you only wanted it for the free movie apps like Viewster, Crackle and Youtube there would be no point in spending the extra on a shield.
    Even if you wanted an IPTV service like eir vison or similar, it still wouldn't require splashing out on a shield.

In short, the shield is a great device, but most don't need to spend anywhere near that amount for what they want it for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Made some changes, that's helped on the sources.

Anyone here had success with subtitles? Hard to watch Amazon's Jack Ryan which has episodes that are mostly set in Syria and France.

I installed the subtitles add on and created an account, but it's not playing ball. Keeps saying wrong password...from Google I'm not the only one. Password does work on browser, so bit of a mystery.

Can you download Jack Ryan episodes and watch them in another player with Opensubtitles.org?

A list of media players here that you can use them with - http://trac.opensubtitles.org/projects/opensubtitles/wiki/ProgramsUsingAPI

I haven't used amazon prime yet so not sure.
    Opensubtitles also have subs for just the Syrian/French scenes, so it's handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Need a 2nd box for kitchen, I’m going to the US next week. Anything worth getting over there?

Advertisement