Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There are a few Android TV OS boxes available over there, that aren't readily available here. But to get the most out of them back here (US TV apps), you may need a decent VPN.

Skystream - https://www.skystreamx.com/
    EZStream - https://www.ezstreambox.com/
    JBL Link Bar is released on the 22nd if you are still there, and it's (expected to be) $400 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1428498-REG/jbl_jbllinkbargryus_link_bar_smart_soundbar.html - Although might be fairly bulky

Amazon Fire TV always on sale over there. Might get it for a decent price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Suckit wrote: »
    Can you download Jack Ryan episodes and watch them in another player with Opensubtitles.org?

A list of media players here that you can use them with - http://trac.opensubtitles.org/projects/opensubtitles/wiki/ProgramsUsingAPI

I haven't used amazon prime yet so not sure.
    Opensubtitles also have subs for just the Syrian/French scenes, so it's handy.

Downloaded one earlier in the week. It was unwatchable as things were out of sync. Not sure if that's more the player than the download. Later found a stream which was fine on the visual and audio side. No joy with Opensubtitles, it keeps saying there's an issue with the username and password. Might have to change it to something very simple. I watched a tutorial on Youtube and found an alternative that doesn't require setting up an account. It found subs, but only had them for scenes with English speaking characters and not in Syria. Haven't fully given up yet. Just need to be patient.

Oh, it was opensubtitles that you are having the issue with?

Have you tried Podnapisi or Addic7ed? Both are decent alternatives.

I've not used this for subtitles, but I know people use BSplayer a lot
    http://www.bsplayer-subtitles.com/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I always use subtitles. The English ones, not the Dutch as that is too distracting now for me. Too many "i wouldnt translate it like that" moments
    Addic7ed add on subs usually are spot on.

I did have that login behaviour with opensubtitles as well and solved it. But i reaheaheaheally dont remember how.
    For whatever reason i do see 2 opensubtitles when looking manually for them in Kodi so it might be a case of only solving it after i installed a 2nd add on for it.

Before using Kodi i always did run the movie file in BSplayer (look for an old ad-free version) which automatically download the subs into the source folder. Few seconds at the stat, few in the middle and the end to see if things are in sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Looking for an Android box for a non tech savvy person

I have a Minix U-1 and I installed a Marshmallow ROM on this so that I can get rid of the bloatware and install ad away etc. It’s going to be used for IPTV and play store and non-play store apps and basic browsing. I was looking at the Minix U9H and this is on Marshmallow so no need to root it yet. Minix forum is down so I know its bit more expensive than your standard boxes just wondering if worth it. Don’t want LibreELEC rather just have an android launcher so user can use it like their android phone. The A2 lite remote also I would get.

Cheapest I have seen is £140 on Amazon any other sellers out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Looking for an Android box for a non tech savvy person

I have a Minix U-1 and I installed a Marshmallow ROM on this so that I can get rid of the bloatware and install ad away etc. It’s going to be used for IPTV and play store and non-play store apps and basic browsing. I was looking at the Minix U9H and this is on Marshmallow so no need to root it yet. Minix forum is down so I know its bit more expensive than your standard boxes just wondering if worth it. Don’t want LibreELEC rather just have an android launcher so user can use it like their android phone. The A2 lite remote also I would get.

Cheapest I have seen is £140 on Amazon any other sellers out there

I was looking for similar for IPTV a while back for my dad. I ended up with a mag256 box.
    Obviously it's not an android box but hes a very technophobic 70 year old and he loves it. You couldn't believe how simple it is to use.
    I have a Minix u1 and run an IPTV app on it and it's so slow compared to the Mag box.
    If other apps aren't a necessity I'd highly recommend the mag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cheers

Mag boxes would be mainly for IPTV but want also some apps installed on it also. Minix seems most reliable but not that great on updates and their latest Nougat update for the U9 full of bugs. However U9 seems to be best out there. I have my U1 a good while and no issues with it since I updated Rom for what I want to use it for. Not too much streaming issues just when I am playing 1080 streams on real debrid links not the quickest so not sure if it’s the box, wifi or the links some 720 and 480 are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Mag boxes are fine for IPTV only, but are not recommended for other apps/add ons. As the OP wants something for IPTV, other apps and general browsing, it would have to be the Minix U9 - no contest between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

BandMember wrote: »
    Mag boxes are fine for IPTV only, but are not recommended for other apps/add ons. As the OP wants something for IPTV, other apps and general browsing, it would have to be the Minix U9 - no contest between them.

The Mi box is the obvious choice here.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

batistuta9 wrote: »
    The Mi box is the obvious choice here.

:pac:

:D :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

I'd go with the Formuler. Stalker middleware, their own market, Google Play store, and if you want, tuners.
    The MyTVOnline is easy to use and then access to all apps too. range in price from €70 - €110.
    Definitely worth a look at.

The Mi Box is on Amazon France for €49.99 https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01MQSVBL4/
    €54.50 to PM/AP/PW/PC and €59.50 to Ireland so may save €1 - €1.50 by using a virtual address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

Suckit wrote: »
    The Mi Box is on Amazon France for €49.99 https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01MQSVBL4/
    €54.50 to PM/AP/PW/PC and €59.50 to Ireland so may save €1 - €1.50 by using a virtual address.

Great price!
    €53.84 to PW (€3.85 fee)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

While most android boxes work alright for what people expect from them they are cheaply produced with barely adopted android versions and most streaming 'apps' are probably not produced to any industry standard but somewhat clobbered together in someone's back room. Most android boxes actually just run android not even andriodTV. So they're basically just phones in a different package without the phone bit. And there is the issue of driver and app stability too.

It all depends what you want/expect from the box. A cheap thingy for 50 quid isn't going to be a prime specimen for robustness and reliability. I have 2 of them myself. A minix and a metoo. The minix is better than the metoo (dearer too) but what turned them into very reliable boxes was doing away with android and installing libreelec (just enough OS for Kodi) instead. It won't run apps but there are a lot of useful plugins for Kodi and most iptv sources will work with the simple iptv plugin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Can someone provide a link to a wired network adapter for the xiaomi mi-box? I see to have wifi dropping issues on it constantly....I've google some but cant be sure that they are compatible with the xiaomi

neacy69 wrote: »
    Can someone provide a link to a wired network adapter for the xiaomi mi-box? I see to have wifi dropping issues on it constantly....I've google some but cant be sure that they are compatible with the xiaomi

UGREEN Gigabit Ethernet USB,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LLUEJFU?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

This one was approved, bought it still using WiFi, as it didn't connect through ethernet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Invincible wrote: »
    UGREEN Gigabit Ethernet USB,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LLUEJFU?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

This one was approved, bought it still using WiFi, as it didn't connect through ethernet.

Yeah that's the exact one I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Random one lads,

I've an x96 pro andriod box. The plug socket is to big to fit behind the telly, anyone have a spare flat head plug or know where I'd pick one up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Yeah that's the exact one I have.

There is a setting that needs to be checked, same happened me and I bought a second, then found the setting, and both worked
    I can’t remember it now but will check when I get home.

phobia2011 wrote: »
    There is a setting that needs to be checked, same happened me and I bought a second, then found the setting, and both worked
    I can’t remember it now but will check when I get home.

As far as I remember, I ticked the ethernet option, unless you mean another setting?

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »
    As far as I remember, I ticked the ethernet option, unless you mean another setting?

Yes there's something to do with the USB going to sleep after a time. I've not had that issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I initially had no problem with the USB ethernet dongle going to sleep, but it does it now regularly on the Mi box, anyone offer us the reminder of the fix for it ?

my wifi seems to be dropping constantly even tho its only 6 inches from the virgin media box

BobMc wrote: »
    I initially had no problem with the USB ethernet dongle going to sleep, but it does it now regularly on the Mi box, anyone offer us the reminder of the fix for it ?

I'm nearly sure it's that you need to turn off usb debugging

my wifi seems to be dropping constantly even tho its only 6 inches from the virgin media box

If it's that close why not use an ethernet cable?

.red. wrote: »
    If it's that close why not use an ethernet cable?

Cos the xiaomi mi box does not have network ports built in (and the approved usb network adaptor will cost €29 from amazon).

Cos the xiaomi mi box does not have network ports built in (and the approved usb network adaptor will cost €29 from amazon).

Duh! I've seen posts here plenty of times about the adaptor! Excuse my thickness!

I think I'll try a factory reset before anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone using the Formuler Z boxs?
    Good set up and does the USB tuner work well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

yabadabado wrote: »
    Anyone using the Formuler Z boxs?
    Good set up and does the USB tuner work well?

I've got a Z+7

Its the best box bar none for running IPTV due to the proprietary APP IMO

regular updates and good online support

I dip into Kodi occasionally but don't use anything else and didn't purchase the tuner so cant comment on that.

Would look elsewhere if looking to game or heavy APP use

Advertisement