Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

^^ they are good, but Devils advocate..

I have a Z nano and a Z7+
    Both are great. If throwing the extra cash for IPTV, go for them, but If I am being real honest, Tanix €30 boxes do the same with their own middleware.

Formuler are just an upgrade of AVOV. They are good, but if they last 4 years, then, and only then have you got your moneys worth. MyTVOnline is a polished version of TVOnline.

You can run STBEmu and it'll cost you €80 less (I have both). Not sure it's worth the extra. I don't think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Suckit wrote: »
    ^^ they are good, but Devils advocate..

I have a Z nano and a Z7+
    Both are great. If throwing the extra cash for IPTV, go for them, but If I am being real honest, Tanix €30 boxes do the same with their own middleware.

Formuler are just an upgrade of AVOV. They are good, but if they last 4 years, then, and only then have you got your moneys worth. MyTVOnline is a polished version of TVOnline.

You can run STBEmu and it'll cost you €80 less (I have both). Not sure it's worth the extra. I don't think it is.

Forgot to mention the crucial factor..had to be wife friendly :D
    Haven't had one complaint since I switched to the z7 that makes it worth the extra on its own

NATLOR wrote: »
    Forgot to mention the crucial factor..had to be wife friendly :D
    Haven't had one complaint since I switched to the z7 that makes it worth the extra on its own
    They are good, no denying it. Wife factor might be worth the extra cash :D

(I bought one for my mother in February, I don't get nagged (much) either.
    I use Teamviewer to help her if she has issues. Updates come in and you get notifications for them, all good. Closed market, good too. Hardware is good too.

(No wife)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Golaco

Lads, I have a Mi box which is fine for what I need it for. Basic streaming etc. Not blown away by the stream quality or reliability. Is that likely more an issue with the (free) apps and/or my network rather than the box itself?

Would it be pointless investing in an Nvidia Shield for the ethernet capability and added power? Would this improve my situation or would I be better off investing in a paid IPTV service of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Golaco wrote: »
    Lads, I have a Mi box which is fine for what I need it for. Basic streaming etc. Not blown away by the stream quality or reliability. Is that likely more an issue with the (free) apps and/or my network rather than the box itself?

Would it be pointless investing in an Nvidia Shield for the ethernet capability and added power? Would this improve my situation or would I be better off investing in a paid IPTV service of some sort?

Invest in a Shield for the Ethernet capability, reliability and it not being a Mi Box. The rest of your queries would fall under the warning in the thread title...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Golaco

BandMember wrote: »
    Invest in a Shield for the Ethernet capability, reliability and it not being a Mi Box. The rest of your queries would fall under the warning in the thread title...

Thanks... yeah I was trying to tread carefully. I of course meant entirely legal apps/IPTV service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Golaco wrote: »

Both!

Do it and I assure you you wont look back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

BandMember wrote: »

I'm starting to agree with this...i've been very dissapointed in the Mi Box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What the recommendations these days for a "cheapish" box. Not for myself but a friend.

He seen the H96 but I don't know about them. I just want something that will update firmware etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What the recommendations these days for a "cheapish" box. Not for myself but a friend.

He seen the H96 but I don't know about them. I just want something that will update firmware etc

Can recommend anything but a H96. The one I had is one of the worst pieces of tech I've ever owned.

Constantly crashes on the most basic of tasks

I've reflashed official and custom ROMs on the thing and changed the power supply to no avail.

I've gone with using a laptop with a fresh linux install and autobooting into Kodi for my needs... Not perfect if you want Android apps but does the job for my requirements.

• Advertisement

Tanix (haven't tried TX9) and Mecool..

Both less than €40 delivered. I haven't tried all versions of either, but if you want to try one of the Mecool boxes I have here, you're more than welcome. I have two. They arrived yesterday.

You can throw it back at me if it's useless, If it is decent after a week, you can pay what I paid. (I think it was around €36).

(I normally opt for Tanix, but they are becoming harder to get).

Edited.

Applies to yabadabado too. They only arrived yesterday.

Loads of edit.
    I don't buy these and sell them, (If i did, I would be poor at it). I have family and friends, I often get asked to get them, Never made any profit on these. Maybe €3 but that was by accident and she rang me back about an app and I bought 2 packets of lemon sweets. That's my life story in a paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

Both less than €40 delivered. I haven't tried all versions of either, but if you want to try one of the Mecool boxes I have here, you're more than welcome. I have two. They arrived yesterday.

You can throw it back at me if it's useless, If it is decent after a week, you can pay what I paid. (I think it was around €36).

Edited.

Loads of edit.
    I don't buy these and sell them, (If i did, I would be poor at it). I have family and friends, I often get asked to get them, Never made any profit on these. Maybe €3 but that was by accident and she rang me back about an app and I bought 2 packets of lemon sweets. That's my life story in a paragraph.

That's a great offer Suckit, fair play!

Edited.

Loads of edit.

Very generous offer but as for a mate I would prefer to buy something, help him set it up and off he goes. He bought Eir Sports and then moved to Virgin so one of the main reasons is so he has Eir....also netflix etc

Where could I buy those boxes?

Thanks again for offer!!!!

Very generous offer but as for a mate I would prefer to buy something, help him set it up and off he goes. He bought Eir Sports and then moved to Virgin so one of the main reasons is so he has Eir....also netflix etc

Where could I buy those boxes?

Thanks again for offer!!!!

I've bought them from Geekbuying.com I have found Italy Warehouse to be the cheapest, but they seem to be sold out, and Polish Warehouse seems to be best bet at the minute (I could be wrong).

(Spain seems most expensive shipping)
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/TANIX-TX3-MINI-KODI-17-3-S905W-2gb-16GB-4K-TV-Box-388270.html

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-M8S-PRO-W-Android-7-1-S905W-2GB-16GB-TV-Box-402205.html

Edit - I shouldn't be linking those mecool, as I haven't personally tried them. Heard good things, but I haven't tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Suckit wrote:
    Edit - I shouldn't be linking those mecool, as I haven't personally tried them. Heard good things, but I haven't tried them.

Had a loan of a mecool for a few days, very nice box, well setup with stb, remote a little iffy though, which I've been informed is common with boxes in general, owner seems to be very happy with it

I've bought them from Geekbuying.com I have found Italy Warehouse to be the cheapest, but they seem to be sold out, and Polish Warehouse seems to be best bet at the minute (I could be wrong).

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/TANIX-TX3-MINI-KODI-17-3-S905W-2gb-16GB-4K-TV-Box-388270.html

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-M8S-PRO-W-Android-7-1-S905W-2GB-16GB-TV-Box-402205.html

Thanks, I guess they update firmware automatically? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone bought boxs from Megavision ?
    Good to deal with?

Thanks, I guess they update firmware automatically? thanks

No, they don't update automatically, but is very simple. The update is downloaded from their site and one click install (Tanix, Not mecool).

I believe the Mecool are equally easy.
    yabadabado wrote: »
    Anyone bought boxs from Megavision ?
    Good to deal with?

Yep, bought from them, constantly low stock, not the most pleasant, but handy to deal with otherwise. I am not sure how good they would be if there was any issues. Fast delivery.

You can preorder the Xiaomi Mi Box S GLOBAL VERSION from Gearvita. It comes with Android 8.1 - 4K HDR10 - Google Voice Control - Dolby + DTS - 2.4Ghz/5Ghz, and has Chromecast Built-In.
    Use code FGMIBOX and EU Priority shipping at checkout.

Using EU Priority shipping (No added fees into Ireland) is $70.63 (€62.08) delivered. (DOUBLE CHECK EU PRIORITY SHIPPING IS TICKED AT CHECKOUT).
    https://gearvita.com/xiaomi-mi-box-s-tv-box-global-version.html

Ignore "Out of Stock and just continue through order.

If registering you can use this invitation code (it is from a made up account, there is no 'referraler' benefitting from this particular code, only to new registrants, of an extra $1 off).
    Invitation Code: Wg3lV1 Tips: The guy who uses invitation code to register in gearvita.com , you and your invitee will get extra $ 1 coupon at the same time . The more invitees use the code , you will get more coupon .

Gearvita are only about a year old, delivery using EU Direct is quite fast, less than 2 weeks. It may appear similarly priced on other sites but I haven't seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

Hi all

which is the better box below.i have the h96 pro+ and am very happy with it
    at the price point

looking to buy another box

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079DR1SGC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2OAJ7377F756P&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06ZZJ4HFP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AH7YRSPY53JYI&psc=1

• Advertisement

How is the Mecool going?

I see this offer today
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-M8S-PRO-W-Android-7-1-S905W-2GB-16GB-TV-Box-386548.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

What is geek buying like for delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

corcaigh07 wrote: »

About 2 weeks, if you use UK forwarding service.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

corcaigh07 wrote: »

or 48 hrs via DHL from Italy warehouse.

Yeah, I saw they have dropped in a few places to around €24, maybe for Christmas market, But Geekbuying EU seems best.
    I have not tried them yet! I have been sick, not had a chance to try it. Sitting on hall table.
    Will try it this weekend.

I thought the s905w was supposed to be dirt

I thought the s905w was supposed to be dirt

I have the TX2 and TX3 mini. The TX2 (RK3229) is my preferred of the two, but I can't fault the TX3 mini (S905W).

I think any issues were mainly firmware and hardware. It is a (slightly) lesser version of the S905X, I think it's about 4K @ 30fps. That hasn't bothered me for how I use it, and I doubt the Mecool will either. But haven't tried the mecool yet, but pretty sure there are a ton of firmwares for it out there if I do run into any issues.

I have the TX2 and TX3 mini. The TX2 (RK3229) is my preferred of the two, but I can't fault the TX3 mini (S905W).

I think any issues were mainly firmware and hardware. It is a (slightly) lesser version of the S905X, I think it's about 4K @ 30fps. That hasn't bothered me for how I use it, and I doubt the Mecool will either. But haven't tried the mecool yet, but pretty sure there are a ton of firmwares for it out there if I do run into any issues.

Ok

There's a box in my previous post going for about 52 pounds on Amazon warehouse, 4GB ram ,32GB storage, 1 yr warranty

I opted for the s912 box again as I'm very happy with the 1 I have

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I've ordered the Mi Box 4K today, comes in less than 60 quid on geekbuying.

The box has some downsides, 8GB storage and no LAN connection but the fact that is on Android TV OS like the Shield and uses certified Netflix/Youtube, it should be a step beyond some of the more awkward cheaper boxes.

I'll try and report back later in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Looking to replace my WeTek Play 2 for a similar device/specs. (WeTek have more of less stopped supporting this)

Not too worried about cost, Andoid based with DVB-S2 tuner/s and ethernet. 4k would be a big bonus.

Advertisement