Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

bazzz wrote: »
    Can you not access their website to see for yourself?? HERE

A quick glance says one's an Android box and the other is a hybrid sat/android box.

I did look at the site but got lost in all the specs of each model. I had assumed that all the Formuler were comboboxes.

So the mini is only better if you need to integrate Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

I did look at the site but got lost in all the specs of each model. I had assumed that all the Formuler were comboboxes.

So the mini is only better if you need to integrate Sky?

Yes the mini would be the better of the two, Conbining DVB S2/T2(saorview via usb dongle). But both only have 10/100 Ethernet port. Also while many will say 1GB ram is good enough, I wouldn't be interested. That's as much input as I have on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Besides the Sat, the mini has a 2nd USB (2.0 only), audio output jack and dual record capability - but 1GB ram compared to 2GB on the 7+.

Yes the mini would be the better of the two, Conbining DVB S2/T2(saorview via usb dongle). But both only have 10/100 Ethernet port. Also while many will say 1GB ram is good enough, I wouldn't be interested. That's as much input as I have on it.

My TV has an integrated Saorview tuner. Would the Mini pick it up. Also can you add apps to the mini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

My TV has an integrated Saorview tuner. Would the Mini pick it up. Also can you add apps to the mini

Have a look for videos on youtube regarding adding apps and how to setup these boxes....
    Most offer IPTV setups and this is not the place to discuss that type of content. I don't have any of these boxes, but understand the ins & outs.
    I'm sure you can load apps via usb. The Saorview T2 option would be using a USB T2 tuner(not supplied).

• Advertisement

Have a look for videos on youtube regarding adding apps and how to setup these boxes....
    Most offer IPTV setups and this is not the place to discuss that type of content. I don't have any of these boxes, but understand the ins & outs.
    I'm sure you can load apps via usb. The Saorview T2 option would be using a USB T2 tuner(not supplied).
    I'll look for the how to setup videos. I tried to find a video review of it but couldn't find any. There's loads of reviews for the Mi Box though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

You can choose the tuner T2 or S2. The Formuler boxes have their own market(s) which are unlocked with a code, so there wouldn't be a need to sideload anything, also google play store for the regular apps.
    Wherever you buy the box from, should be able to answer all of your questions in one email, should you aske them when enquiring about the box.
    They will recommend Sat or Terrestrial if you give them a bit of info about what you ae looking for and what type of setup you have.

Suckit wrote: »
    You can choose the tuner T2 or S2. The Formuler boxes have their own market(s) which are unlocked with a code, so there wouldn't be a need to sideload anything, also google play store for the regular apps.
    Wherever you buy the box from, should be able to answer all of your questions in one email, should you aske them when enquiring about the box.
    They will recommend Sat or Terrestrial if you give them a bit of info about what you ae looking for and what type of setup you have.

I contacted Satworld by email but got no reply. I thought email would be better as you can write exactly what you want rather than chatting on the phone and leaving something out although it never occured to me to mention loading apps..

It might be better to get the Mi Box and keep the Sky and Saorview separate. If Internet went down at least I'd have some Tv.

TV On Demand probably makes recording redundant

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

BobMc wrote: »
    Anyone got the newe Mi Box S , have original Mi box, gone a bit slow, most likley needs a good factory reset to get it back clean etc. But thinking of pumping for newer S version or is it a waste

Just wondering if anyone else is having major issues with the original (International version) Mibox? Having significant wifi issues, almost nothing working on it at the moment. It's running Android 8.0.0 and, when looking up possible issues, I see a few suggestions that the update to this may be the issue. I've tried disabling bluetooth devices (like the remote) but my usb remote is not working on it as an alternative. Just done a factory reset, no improvement. Was trying to reboot from usb from the instructions https://androidpctv.com/tutorial-update-xiaomi-mi-box-international-oreo/. This doesn't seem to be rebooting several times as outlined, so I don't think I'm doing it right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else is having major issues with the original (International version) Mibox? Having significant wifi issues, almost nothing working on it at the moment. It's running Android 8.0.0 and, when looking up possible issues, I see a few suggestions that the update to this may be the issue. I've tried disabling bluetooth devices (like the remote) but my usb remote is not working on it as an alternative. Just done a factory reset, no improvement. Was trying to reboot from usb from the instructions https://androidpctv.com/tutorial-update-xiaomi-mi-box-international-oreo/. This doesn't seem to be rebooting several times as outlined, so I don't think I'm doing it right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I had nothing but problems with mine and it didn't last long before I had to throw it in the bin. Piece of crap that never worked properly. I did post the issues I was having here on the thread, but was shouted down by other posters who wouldn't listen and sang it's praises. Best thing anyone can do is avoid it IMHO. I'll head off now before the Mi fanboys come along..... :p :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

BandMember wrote: »
    I had nothing but problems with mine and it didn't last long before I had to throw it in the bin. Piece of crap that never worked properly. I did post the issues I was having here on the thread, but was shouted down by other posters who wouldn't listen and sang it's praises. Best thing anyone can do is avoid it IMHO. I'll head off now before the Mi fanboys come along..... :p :cool:

Other posters had no issues with it so they were obviously going to give their opipion.I set up one about 2 years ago and there has been no issues with it and it is used every day.

It isnt a case of the Mi Box being a complete piece of trash and that was all discussed at the time.Its not perfect but for €50 it was at the time it was by far the best of the cheaper options imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Is there a list of working USB network adapters for the Xiaomi miBox? Im gonna give it one last chance before it becomes a full time paper weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

neacy69 wrote: »
    Is there a list of working USB network adapters for the Xiaomi miBox? Im gonna give it one last chance before it becomes a full time paper weight

I use this one myself.

UGREEN USB Ethernet Adapter, USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Network Lan Adapter 10/100/1000Mbps for Laptops Computer, Compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS X, Linux, Chrome OS, Nintendo Switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MYTSN18/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wSO4CbGW1K3YJ

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There is a list of them further back on the thread also. But been a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Have a shield for my tv in sitting room but herself is looking for something for streaming and for iptv for her telly in the bedroom. It's only a basic small hdtv so no 4k.

Would the fire stick 4k do the job for everything or should I go for something else?

Be just running YouTube Netflix and StbEmu Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

Have a shield for my tv in sitting room but herself is looking for something for streaming and for iptv for her telly in the bedroom. It's only a basic small hdtv so no 4k.

Would the fire stick 4k do the job for everything or should I go for something else?

yeah you dont even need the 4k firestick the normal one is pretty good I have it on my kitchen tv and it works perfectly and they are currently only £30 on amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Fire stick is perfect, I would hold on...every few months they are doing specials on them....get the 4k one.....

Maybe they have special on now, it says 10 off it....

Sticking the stbemu app on it straight forward? I know from dealing with the tablets had up enable play store sometimes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Sticking the stbemu app on it straight forward? I know from dealing with the tablets had up enable play store sometimes.

loading up firesticks is not as easy as playstore on android boxs - id prefer an android box eveyrtime - only thing is netflix wont play on some boxs but i have all that stuff on stb emu

Nowso wrote: »
    loading up firesticks is not as easy as playstore on android boxs - id prefer an android box eveyrtime - only thing is netflix wont play on some boxs but i have all that stuff on stb emu

So would a cheap android tv box be easier? Just want something simple with decent WiFi for bedroom.

• Advertisement

So would a cheap android tv box be easier? Just want something simple with decent WiFi for bedroom.

you can get decent ones online for cheap enough -

android tv os has less apps but is better for youtube than usual android

just look into the boxs specs and reviews etc

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

It's very simple just download a program called downloader from the Amazon store which then allows you to download any files from a url. If you do get the fire stick pm me and I will give you a url for a free copy of stbemu

ellobee wrote: »
    It's very simple just download a program called downloader from the Amazon store which then allows you to download any files from a url. If you do get the fire stick pm me and I will give you a url for a free copy of stbemu

Cheers thanks for the advice! I have a place I've gotten it from in past I'll look into it sure!

Thanks for all the replys guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Folks is the Nvidia Shield still a good buy, its not too long in the tooth at this stage? Its currently 190eur in currys and I have a 100eur voucher.

I want a stable platform for streaming, plex server and a general home multimedia system.

In terms of budget the max im willing to pay would be 150-200 but given I have a 100 euro one4all voucher im inclined to go with the shield.

Anyone have any other advice for me which might influence my decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Still considered one of the best, if not the best box out.
    Although, there's supposed to be a new one being released soon, not sure on price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Hogzy wrote: »
    Folks is the Nvidia Shield still a good buy, its not too long in the tooth at this stage? Its currently 190eur in currys and I have a 100eur voucher.

I want a stable platform for streaming, plex server and a general home multimedia system.

In terms of budget the max im willing to pay would be 150-200 but given I have a 100 euro one4all voucher im inclined to go with the shield.

Anyone have any other advice for me which might influence my decision?

Still the best on the market by a mile, you won't regret it!

€190 is a great price, but be warned though: that doesn't include the "gaming" remote. It's €229 with that included.

Plenty off other alternatives out there aswell fir not that much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Was looking at the H96 Max Hexa-Core also but cant seem to find the hexacore version anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Doubtful they'll get the same ongoing support the Shield gets. The Shield is 3 years old and has had 20 updates. It's a console so it's important to have them all on the same software version.

• Advertisement

Doubtful they'll get the same ongoing support the Shield gets. The Shield is 3 years old and has had 20 updates. It's a console so it's important to have them all on the same software version.

going forward they might for not as much

Advertisement