Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Nowso wrote: »
    Plenty off other alternatives out there aswell fir not that much

I have no interest in gaming but wanted a good quality android box for IPTV. Couldn't justify a shield,so went with fire tv 4k with eternet adapter. So far so good for €60.
    What are the other options you mention?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

loads off newish boxs available online from ireland uk and some shops android 8 or 9 android tv os
    and for under half the price of a shield

i bought a mi box s in dublin a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Which is better, amazon firestick hd or the mi s?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

LillySV wrote: »
    Which is better, amazon firestick hd or the mi s?

For what purposes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I had a few android boxes and loved what they could do but realised they were only a few euro of cheap Chinese electronics and they heated up something terrible.
    As someone whose parents house went on fire last year the android box got thrown out. Use a 4k amazon stick now for all my entertainment (along with a ps4) and enjoying it so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Anyone considering purchasing an Amazon device (or similar) should do so with caution as they have already started to block certain apps (i.e. unofficial apps, sideloading apps, apps from unknown sources etc.) from being installed and look like they will increase this policy so that you won't be able to use them for what pretty much everyone buys them for (but we'll leave it there, as per the warning in the thread title). I know a lot of people are fine at the moment, but it looks like this is going to be a problem down the road....

A lot of Mi Box fans on this thread, but my own experience was brutal and it ended up in the bin.

Get a proper box with an Ethernet connection, far more stable than WiFi and will perform better.

Don't buy cheap Chinese crap - they won't work properly, will give you nothing but problems and won't last a wet week! Spent the extra few quid on something that actually will work and last you a long time (and take heed of the overheating issue, which is common, in Heres Johnny's post).

I feel like it's Groundhog Day in here sometimes, but that's my two cents anyway.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

I asked about boxes here a few years back and was told get a decent box from a reputable brand, not Chinese rebranded crap, advise I took.
    I ended up with a Minix neo U1, and bought another 2nd hand a while later, both with extra remotes/airmouse. I've the first one almost 3 years and the other is well over 3 years old now.
    Both are still working perfectly, without issues, using what most people buy them for.
    They cost about €200(120+80) between them delivered. That's very good value for money.

I know others who bought cheap €40/50 boxes and had nothing but trouble, others worked perfectly but didn't last for much longer than a year. You really do get what you pay for with these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There are plenty of the cheaper boxes that have decent hardware and firmware in them. There are some that have paid devs for firmware with updates etc.

No need to spend a fortune, You could but it is worth noting that you will probably get similar usage from them unless using for gaming, assuming you have bought one of the decent ones.
    I have a power surge protector socket for all of my devices, no matter what it is (Microwave, TV etc). Amazon, Screwfix andmany other places sell surge protection towers or leads too.
    Amazon have secured TV rights for many matches, have their own streaming services etc. There is no way that they will ignore what many of their sticks are being used for. They will issue updates that will be blocked, but will eventually require you to update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Anyone buying a cheaper box needs to read this. It's more about
    support, certification and licensing than the power of the box.
    https://androidpcreview.com/netflix-hd-android-tv-box/

Anyone buying a cheaper box needs to read this. It's more about
    support, certification and licensing than the power of the box.
    https://androidpcreview.com/netflix-hd-android-tv-box/

Mi box s has netflix liscence if its needed on the box and plays great the only awkward thing is you need an adapter for ethernet

there are other newish android 8 - 9 Boxs that will do the job good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Nowso wrote: »
    Mi box s has netflix liscence if its needed on the box and plays great the only awkward thing is you need an adapter for ethernet

there are other newish android 8 - 9 Boxs that will do the job good

Yeah I have a 2017 Shield, a Mibox (not s earlier one) with Ethernet adapter, a fire stick 4k and both gen Chromecasts. The Mibox is pretty much like a Shield without gaming and a good box for my second TV in the kitchen. I don't like the fire stick, it's in my daughter's bedroom and is pretty crippled compared to Android TV and doesn't stream IPTV as well as the wired Mibox when the wireless AP is just outside the bedroom door on the landing ceiling. The Chromecasts are now redundant, never used.

To anyone asking if the Shield is worth the money, yes it most definitely is, even if you're not gaming. It's a monster, nothing else comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Where is the best place to buy a Mi-box S at the moment?

Where is the best place to buy a Mi-box S at the moment?
    A few things I have been watching seem to have jumped up in price recently (mainly Chinese sites), and I am wondering if there is a sale coming. It wouldn't be unusual for them to have a random sale, but just had a weekend for Labor day and I haven't been paying attention to any banners that may have said a sale is approaching.
    The Mi Box S was (usually with a coupon) €40 - €44 almost everywhere up to a week ago, but is now up around €55 in most places.
    So I am guessing, there will be a sale quite soon with it dropping in price again.
    €45 from here
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32800732831.html
    €40 with code ALIAGOSTO but that may have expired yesterday, I couldn't check.
    Two of the main differences between the Mi Box and the Mi Box S, are the 2GB ram (vs 1GB) and mainly the new WiFi antenna and card provides much, much better wifi connectivity. Ethernet port not required so much now, but some may still prefer to have it.

Suckit wrote: »
    Two of the main differences between the Mi Box and the Mi Box S, are the 2GB ram (vs 1GB) and mainly the new WiFi antenna and card provides much, much better wifi connectivity. Ethernet port not required so much now, but some may still prefer to have it.

Any box with 1GB RAM is to be avoided - lots of posters have pointed that out already on this thread and I would agree with them. I'd definitely recommend an Ethernet connection as the WiFi connectivity on a lot of boxes isn't great - not a fraction on your phone, laptop etc. (especially if your box is not near your router). Also helps live streaming greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

our mi box (not s) is great with 5ghz wifi...just as solid as ethernet.
    box is great...no issues...but..
    it wasnt always that way...it was on marshmallow for a long time and it was full of bugs..very troublesome....but since it updated to oreo is a great box...solid and reliable.

BandMember wrote: »
    Any box with 1GB RAM is to be avoided - lots of posters have pointed that out already on this thread and I would agree with them. I'd definitely recommend an Ethernet connection as the WiFi connectivity on a lot of boxes isn't great - not a fraction on your phone, laptop etc. (especially if your box is not near your router). Also helps live streaming greatly.
    The S version has 2GB.

The biggest gripe with the mi box 3 was wifi, so the new version was to improve that. The router helps a lot too. But the S version has a better wifi capabilities, so ethernet only really necessary if far away from a not so great router with other obstructions.
    1GB can be enough depending on the software and what you are using it for.
    It is enough to run IPTV and apps like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, but obviously would start to struggle with a load of apps running in the background, and probably most not needed. But 2GB would be better.
    I wouldn't today buy an android box with 1GB - unless it was maybe a firestick or mi box, but much more likely mi box as Firestick has a sh*tload running in background.

But I would generally go for minimum of 2GB anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Yeah I have a 2017 Shield, a Mibox (not s earlier one) with Ethernet adapter, a fire stick 4k and both gen Chromecasts. The Mibox is pretty much like a Shield without gaming and a good box for my second TV in the kitchen. I don't like the fire stick, it's in my daughter's bedroom and is pretty crippled compared to Android TV and doesn't stream IPTV as well as the wired Mibox when the wireless AP is just outside the bedroom door on the landing ceiling. The Chromecasts are now redundant, never used.

To anyone asking if the Shield is worth the money, yes it most definitely is, even if you're not gaming. It's a monster, nothing else comes close.
    I fully agree the shield is defo worth it I'v been using xbmc/Kodi since the Xbox days.and have had a hell of alot of box's. intel nuc,and custom built htpc.and I think out of the best has been the shield.i think android TV plays a big role in the shields success.its just always works

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My Minix u1 seems to be bricked, served me well for 5 years so time to buy. I was going to go for a 4k firestick but it's currently out of stock for a few weeks and I really don't like the limited Fire OS.
    So think I'll go for the shield, is amazon the best price for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Anyone considering purchasing an Amazon device (or similar) should do so with caution as they have already started to block certain apps (i.e. unofficial apps, sideloading apps, apps from unknown sources etc.) from being installed and look like they will increase this policy so that you won't be able to use them for what pretty much everyone buys them for (but we'll leave it there, as per the warning in the thread title). I know a lot of people are fine at the moment, but it looks like this is going to be a problem down the road....

where are you seeing amazon are blocking apps?

that story has been around for years & hasn't turned out to be true yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

.red. wrote:
    I asked about boxes here a few years back and was told get a decent box from a reputable brand, not Chinese rebranded crap, advise I took. I ended up with a Minix neo U1, and bought another 2nd hand a while later, both with extra remotes/airmouse. I've the first one almost 3 years and the other is well over 3 years old now. Both are still working perfectly, without issues, using what most people buy them for. They cost about €200(120+80) between them delivered. That's very good value for money.

My 35 eur 3 gb mx box is going strong since last three years !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

My 35 eur 3 gb mx box is going strong since last three years !!

I've a cheapo S912 3gb running a couple of years too, without missing a beat..

Don't need HD Netflix on the telly it's attached to, though, and it was absolute crap till I installed a custom rom over the original firmware..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

rob316 wrote: »
    My Minix u1 seems to be bricked, served me well for 5 years so time to buy. I was going to go for a 4k firestick but it's currently out of stock for a few weeks and I really don't like the limited Fire OS.
    So think I'll go for the shield, is amazon the best price for this?

If you aren't in a major hurry maybe hold tight for a while longer.There are rumours of a new Shield coming out soon.No release date yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

yabadabado wrote: »
    If you aren't in a major hurry maybe hold tight for a while longer.There are rumours of a new Shield coming out soon.No release date yet .

I googled that and see that rumour has been going around well over a year! It’s way too expensive as is and I can’t see what people Praise it so much for the price? I’ve a ps 4 for games, so I only want something to try get free tv... what would the shield do that the amazon stick won’t ? I’m looking for the likes of sites to allow me watch channels for free

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Cant talk about Mobdro or any other set up that allows illegal streams on here.

The Shield has been flawless for me and I'd highly recommend it.Its been completely worth the money imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

on most of the cheap android tv boxes...outside of the mi box....you dont have the option to use it as a chromecast...i'd miss that

batistuta9 wrote: »
    where are you seeing amazon are blocking apps?

I've heard it from people with first hand experience. Basically, they're starting to do what NOW TV did with their boxes. Suckit is correct with regards to the situation and the updates, they are also correct with regards to Amazon changing their stance now that they have acquired exclusive rights to certain sporting events.
    Suckit wrote: »
    Amazon have secured TV rights for many matches, have their own streaming services etc. There is no way that they will ignore what many of their sticks are being used for. They will issue updates that will be blocked, but will eventually require you to update.

Correct. Sums things up perfectly!
    LillySV wrote: »
    I only want something to try get free tv... what would the shield do that the amazon stick won’t ? I’m looking for the likes of ****** and sites to allow me watch ** ***** for free or the ** channels for free

You are clearly breaching the warning in the title of this thread - please edit your post and be careful what you say as we don't want the Mods to close this thread. Thanks. Also, you are wasting your time and your money if that is why you want to buy the box. You're talking about spending top dollar to buy a top of the range 4K box in order to watch unreliable, unstable, very sh*tty, low quality streams? :confused: That's the definition of madness!! Before you ask though, we cannot discuss this further (again, as per the thread title).
    yabadabado wrote: »
    Cant talk about ****** or any other set up that allows illegal streams on here.

The Shield has been flawless for me and I'd highly recommend it.Its been completely worth the money imo.

You might want to remove the name of that app from your post... ;) Other that though, I'd completely agree with you about the Shield. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I've heard it from people with first hand experience. Basically, they're starting to do what NOW TV did with their boxes. Suckit is correct with regards to the situation and the updates, they are also correct with regards to Amazon changing their stance now that they have acquired exclusive rights to certain sporting events.

there's no evidence of this anywhere, just your people?
    he's not correct, just speculating.

no point putting people off a device for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I use a 4K Fire TV everyday for Kodi and IPTV and have had absolutely no issues with it ........................ I also have a Nvidia Shield, it's definitely better but it's probably overkill for what I need ........... still wouldn't part with it though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Who has experienced this?

I have about 10 of these boxes running, new and old. Not a single one has had any issues.

Also part of a large groups in UK who use them as well and not seen anyone complain about blocking etc

Apart from boards I haven't seen anyone mention blocking. If you google I see a thread from Jan which had a rumour and never came true.....b

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Who has experienced this?

I have about 10 of these boxes running, new and old. Not a single one has had any issues.

Also part of a large groups in UK who use them as well and not seen anyone complain about blocking etc

Apart from boards I haven't seen anyone mention blocking. If you google I see a thread from Jan which had a rumour and never came true.....b

firmware updates is where it may happen - and i can see as a possibilty as infomir have done simular with mag box softwares

Advertisement