Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Have set up a few 4k firesticks and no issues so far with IPTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I've a fire stick but I'm having trouble setting up a subscription ... Its not the 4k stick

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Not all providers might force the 4K stick into freezing as not all channel lists will have streams with the critical characteristics.
    I don't set up my subscription myself, just pay someone to do it.

The 2nd gen stick doesn't crash on the same channel list, just the 4K does. (I've both)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

xboxdad wrote: »
    Not all providers might force the 4K stick into freezing as not all channel lists will have streams with the critical characteristics.
    I don't set up my subscription myself, just pay someone to do it.

The 2nd gen stick doesn't crash on the same channel list, just the 4K does. (I've both)

Are you using Smart IPTV app? Try using Tivimate, started using it recently and it's fantastic. It might solve your issue on the 4K stick

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Are you using Smart IPTV app? Try using Tivimate, started using it recently and it's fantastic. It might solve your issue on the 4K stick

Thank you.

In any case, it's a serious issue with the 4K stick. Please read through the ticket description and comments I linked in my original post to learn about the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Was doing a bit of googling and the HAOSIHD T9 box was mentioned a few times. Anyone know much about it? Seems decent for the price, which always makes me wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mjens

I have a new Mecool KM9pro box for sale in Cork if anyone is interested. Great little box a lot better than my old mi box.

http://www.adverts.ie/19429623

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Mjens wrote: »
    I have a new Mecool KM9pro box for sale in Cork if anyone is interested. Great little box a lot better than my old mi box.

http://www.adverts.ie/19429623

why are you selling it then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mjens

Nowso wrote: »
    why are you selling it then ?

Meant to say its a spare I no longer need as I bought 2 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

I really hope when Virgin Media launch their new STB to replace the crappy Horizon box, they look at what is happening elsewhere! The trend for operators like Virgin Media is to take advantage of operator tier with Android Tv.
    NAGRA, Amlogic and SDMC are collaborating on a new Android solution for pay-TV operators that will be delivered in full compliance with the Google MediaCAS framework. The solution will operate in full compliance with the Google MediaCAS framework for Android TV deployments to enable hybrid Android TV based services for pay-TV operators.
    https://www.tvbeurope.com/technology/nagra-amlogic-sdmc-partner-on-android-tv-solution
    Google launched its “Operator Tier” certification program back in September 2016, allowing operators to distribute their own custom devices based on the Android TV platform. The industry applauded the initiative, as it allowed for a more immersive experience on their state of the art hardware, while opening their platform to other regional players available through Google Play. Fast forward to present day and Google’s Operator Tier program can now offer an easy way to integrate all offerings from a TV provider directly into the operating system. We will show that Operator Tier is much more than just a customized Android TV application launcher.
    https://business.wetek.com/all-you-need-to-know-about-android-tv-operator-tier/
    Why would a TV provider like Virgin Media use an Android box?
    Operator Tier ... allows full customization around a branded managed service where users can keep control of their data and use relatively inexpensive set-tops. ... While operators no longer need to build from scratch, they can still readily integrate their own DVR and VoD offerings with third party apps such as Netflix and YouTube that can be made to appear as part of a single coherent service. Its appeal to smaller operators, now including a fast growing number in the USA, has been heightened by support from leading video software vendors, including Amino, TiVo, MobiTV and Evolution Digital, which have made their end-to-end IPTV SaaS packages compatible with Android TV.
    https://rethinkresearch.biz/articles/android-tv-becomes-major-force-after-five-years-thanks-to-operator-tier
    Looks like a few TV operators are going for the Android box - supported by a variant of the Amlogic S905X - usually the S905X2 and yes the relatively new Wetek Air has an Amlogic S905 chip also https://androidtvbox.eu/wetek-air-review-hybrid-tuner-dvb-c-t-t2-4k-tv-box-with-android-tv/
    I know when a few of us hear of Amlogioc chips...we think cheap Chinese set-top boxes (typically they are Amlogic, but can be Rockchip or Allwinner processors) - or even Portugues Wetek Play boxes that had the very old Amlogic AML8726-Mx processors - Mali-400 MP). Very often these boxes weren't updated because of the chip manufacturers didn't release updated graphic drivers, and many of the box manufacturers/resellers responsible for the rest of the hardware and middleware weren't going to take up the work.
    However, thanks to the efforts of companies like Baylibre and Alyssa Rosenzweig from Collabora, we have (albeit Work-in_Progress) opensource graphic drivers mainlined in the Linux kernel (Lima Gallium3D driver for old Utgard Mali 400/450 graphics processors used in AMlogic 8726-Mx processors, and Panfrost Gallium3D driver is the open-source OpenGL community-led driver for supporting newer Arm Mali Midgard/Bifrost architectures TXXX/Gxxx used in Amlogic S905 for example) so updating the Kernel/Android should be easier!! We know from here https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/9759-choosing-a-s905-s905x-s905d-s905w-s912-box-guide/?pageNo=50 that to quote Chewitt
    panfrost scored it's first "all green" graphics test run on the T820 chip used in the S912 and there are now some Khadas VIM2 boards plumbed into the mesa CI lab to ensure continuous testing of future changes. We are also in the process of switching our Allwinner and Rockchip images over to panfrost. We also found a source for the Linux T820 blobs (albeit not a redistributable one) but with panfrost in a good state I'm no longer chasing the permission to release the files. I'm sure panfrost still has some bugs, but simply being able to real-time chat with developers who are friendly and keen to solve problems is .. the total opposite of using blobs.
    Maybe, Virgin Media will look into this box ;-) https://twitter.com/androidtv_rumor/status/1197814110345449472

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There is also the BuzzTV boxes (I think the latest is the XR400) and the Ematic 4K.

I am pretty sure the Ematic is only in South Africa and used with their Telecom/Media providers.
    The BuzzTV boxes are available in many places but are to work with many providers, as well as a standalone box.
    The reason many may be slow to change over to them, is likely because when many customers that don't already know what they do without any subscription, may realise and cancel any overpriced subscriptions.

I am not sure if the Ematic has proprietary firmware, but even if it did, I'm sure it could be unlocked (although many might not want to).
    The BuzzTV boxes are very slick, but while they are being sold adaptable to pretty much any setup, I can't see why Sky or Virgin would adopt them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Would 3 broadband at home be throttling IPTV would anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

How? It'll be sent over and SSL encrypted connection.

It's more likely just poor peeing and/or network congestion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

How? It'll be sent over and SSL encrypted connection.

It's more likely just poor peeing and/or network congestion

Not sure how, I'm in a Facebook group with an IPTV crowd, and the amount of folk that have issues on 3 broadband at home is staggering. It couldn't be coincidental.

I've asked a few to run speed tests on the devices rather than their phones, but they're not exactly the most tech savvy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Not sure how, I'm in a Facebook group with an IPTV crowd, and the amount of folk that have issues on 3 broadband at home is staggering. It couldn't be coincidental.

I've asked a few to run speed tests on the devices rather than their phones, but they're not exactly the most tech savvy.

If it's a three mobile broadband service it will be crap due to the overselling of their all you can eat packages on a network of masts that are backhauled by microwave not fibre

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

also three has been known to block some iptv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

3 "broadband" is really midband and not suitable for IPTV. You would need proper broadband (particularly fibre) and a wired connection is recommended for best performance.

Also, we're not allowed to discuss IPTV here, as per the warning in the title of the thread. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Anybody with a recommendation for a decent air mouse/remote? Something not too big and one that has a full keyboard.
    I've been using a C120 since I got the box and really like it but it's on its last legs and keeps falling into pieces.
    I've also got a Minix A3 which is also good but it's huge.
    Ideally I'd like another C120 but anyone I find is either silly money on 2 month shipping from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Hows it going lads, as it seems all the info is here I didnt want to start a whole threat.

I've never had an android box, currently have a pain in my face with virgin and the costs. My contract with them is up and I wont be renewing with them, apart from broadband.

I'm seeing lots of good posts mainly about Nvidia Shield and the firestick then some other boxes. Budget wise I can afford the shield so I dont mind going up to that price.

My question(s) are though which is best, I watch everything, films, play games for the kids, sports. Everything. Is there a fools guide to using these boxes? :o

Any help steering me will be much appreciated. :D

Hows it going lads, as it seems all the info is here I didnt want to start a whole threat.

I've never had an android box, currently have a pain in my face with virgin and the costs. My contract with them is up and I wont be renewing with them, apart from broadband.

I'm seeing lots of good posts mainly about Nvidia Shield and the firestick then some other boxes. Budget wise I can afford the shield so I dont mind going up to that price.

My question(s) are though which is best, I watch everything, films, play games for the kids, sports. Everything. Is there a fools guide to using these boxes? :o

An android box itself is just an android device and won't play anything from the box.
    You can install apps,some paid, some free that will do that but it can't be discussed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

.red. wrote: »
    Anybody with a recommendation for a decent air mouse/remote? Something not too big and one that has a full keyboard.
    I've been using a C120 since I got the box and really like it but it's on its last legs and keeps falling into pieces.
    I've also got a Minix A3 which is also good but it's huge.
    Ideally I'd like another C120 but anyone I find is either silly money on 2 month shipping from China.

I have a Mele F10 Deluxe, compact and has full keyboard on back, charges from USB cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

I'd say go for the Shield.

It's the best bar none, and easy to use.
    Get the version with the game controller.

If you wanted to ditch Virgin, that can't be discussed here (but can by pm)

Mecool KM9 Pro is excellent for the price and is google licenced. Italy Warehouse is very fast delivery - https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KM9-Pro-Amlogic-S905X2-Android-TV-9-0-4GB-32B-TV-Box-416575.html

For the IPTV, probably better looking here - https://www.reddit.com/r/IPTV/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Looks like a very good box. Google certified. Not sure why Netflix HD is not supported.

For IPTV it looks like a no brainier.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Looks like a very good box. Google certified. Not sure why Netflix HD is not supported.

Netflix HD isn't officially supported because Mecool previously faked or allowed users to fake widevine level 3 for Netflix.

As it is, there is currently a workaround app that will get it working still, until Netflix and Mecool come to an agreement.I think there is a thread on Freaktab.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

coldfire1x wrote: »

Went through countless android boxes over the years,save money buy a shield

Invincible wrote: »
    I have a Mele F10 Deluxe, compact and has full keyboard on back, charges from USB cable.

Cheers, the F10 wasn't available anywhere so I opted for the Rii MX6, reviews seem decent so hopefully it'll do the job.

Have you tried the Mecool KM9 Pro or KM3?
    I have tried a countless number of android boxes over the years also, including the shield (two) and I can't see how that would save money.

With a decent rom and hardware a box can last a long time.
    I have a €28 box from early 2016 still running perfectly well on a TV. I sold both of the Shields as I found them overkill for what I needed. Made a loss on both too.
    One to my brother and one on donedeal.
    There are some fantastic boxes out there google certified or not that don't require you to spend anywhere near the amount that a Shield costs, and work perfectly well without any issue. A new 2017 shield best price delivered (with controller) has been around €150, but usually costs a lot more than that.
    Nobody is disputing how good the shield is, but you can buy a box for around €30 and get a decent life out of it too.
    If my €28 box blows, I won't be too upset and I will buy another box for around €30 - €40. If I get another 4 years out of that, that will be 8 years for max €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

True. Got a cheapo box H96 pro when it was introduced for around $47.49.

More than 2 years now, still running fine for whatever I use it for. Agree there's no software updates or there's some minor bugs here and there but it works fine for what I need it for.

• Advertisement

Have a shield, 3 or 4 cheap Android boxes and 2 Amazon 4K firesticks.

I'd say the 4k firestick is the best all-rounder, but wouldn't want to be without my Shield :D

Advertisement