Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Hows it going lads, as it seems all the info is here I didnt want to start a whole threat.

I've never had an android box, currently have a pain in my face with virgin and the costs. My contract with them is up and I wont be renewing with them, apart from broadband.

I'm seeing lots of good posts mainly about Nvidia Shield and the firestick then some other boxes. Budget wise I can afford the shield so I dont mind going up to that price.

My question(s) are though which is best, I watch everything, films, play games for the kids, sports. Everything. Is there a fools guide to using these boxes? :o

Any help steering me will be much appreciated. :D

If you can afford a Shield, you should definitely buy a Shield - case closed! :D

Your other questions can't be answered here, but I wouldn't go looking on Reddit for answers either - far too many trolls and shills. You'll need to ask family/friends or do some research through Google. That's all we can say about that here I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Plenty of good info on reddit, you just have to be willing to do the work.

The OP says they can afford the Shield and wants to play games so the Shield is the best bet imo.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Plenty of good info on reddit, you just have to be willing to do the work.

The OP says they can afford the Shield and wants to play games so the Shield is the best bet imo.

Guess it depends on which games you want to play. I (and my kids) don't really rate the Shield for gaming.

For the price of a Shield, you could get a 4K firestick (for viewing) and an Xbox (for gaming with the option of Sky Go/Netflix etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

And an Xbox beats the Shield for streaming. It means Kodi for some stuff, but many apps including Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon Prime Video, Plex, Emby, My IPTV Player and many more on it also.
    I can't see the need to justify the price of the Shield on any level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Basil3 wrote: »
    Guess it depends on which games you want to play. I (and my kids) don't really rate the Shield for gaming.

For the price of a Shield, you could get a 4K firestick (for viewing) and an Xbox (for gaming with the option of Sky Go/Netflix etc).

They're not doing it right :D

If you're just looking for console games then yes, but with a Shield you can play Steam PC games direct to the Shield without a PC. And if you do have a gaming PC with a Nvidia card then you can Gamestream to your TV. It's also the best retro games emulator on the market.

• Advertisement

They're not doing it right :D

If you're just looking for console games then yes, but with a Shield you can play Steam PC games direct to the Shield without a PC. And if you do have a gaming PC with a Nvidia card then you can Gamestream to your TV. It's also the best retro games emulator on the market.

To be fair, I do need to get my emulator stuff set back up.

Their game streaming has been extremely hit and miss for me lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Basil3 wrote: »
    To be fair, I do need to get my emulator stuff set back up.

Their game streaming has been extremely hit and miss for me lately.

I can't comment, I've not really been playing the last few weeks as the youngster got a Nintendo switch for Xmas which has taken over the gaming on the TV

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Can you actually kill these boxes by changing the resolution too high?

I used to have 2 boxes and when i bought a new tv, one of them i took of "auto" in the settings for resolution and set it to what the tv can handle.
    Picture goes black, as they do, but this one never came back. resetting the box doesnt work either.

Since i had 2, i just started to use the other one but it still plays on my mind that is should be able to get the other one working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Looking for recommendations for a Android box that has chromecast built in (apart from Nvidia shield and Mi Box)

I already have a shield and use it for myself. I'm looking for another box for someone else but not a shield (as it's too pricey).

anyone know of any other boxes with chromecast built in?

thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

mada999 wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations for a Android box that has chromecast built in (apart from Nvidia shield and Mi Box)

I already have a shield and use it for myself. I'm looking for another box for someone else but not a shield (as it's too pricey).

thanks,

Why not the mi box? I have 1 and it's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Why not the mi box? I have 1 and it's brilliant.

i havent ruled it out but i was looking to see what all boxes have chromecast built in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

i havent ruled it out but i was looking to see what all boxes have chromecast built in

I seen good reviews of the micool. Very similar to mibox but newer android version afaik.

inforfun wrote: »

I used to have 2 boxes and when i bought a new tv, one of them i took of "auto" in the settings for resolution and set it to what the tv can handle.
    Picture goes black, as they do, but this one never came back. resetting the box doesnt work either.

Since i had 2, i just started to use the other one but it still plays on my mind that is should be able to get the other one working again.

Could be a dodgy HDMI cable (or one not capable not handling the high resolution) - have you tried swapping it out?

BandMember wrote: »
    Could be a dodgy HDMI cable (or one not capable not handling the high resolution) - have you tried swapping it out?

Cable is ok, box i currently use works with it. Also tried with another cable directly on an hdmi port on the tv instead of via my amp\hdmi switch it used to work with before i changed the damn setting.

Have you tried the box in another TV with higher resolution? Is there power going into the box?
    Try a hard reset - it varies from box to box, but there is usually a button to hold down while booting.
    Failing that you could try to flash it with a PC.

thanks,
    Mecool KM3 or KM9 Pro on GeekBuying (Try codes 43QUGMXL or 43QUIMJK from an EU warehouse to drop the price)
    Or
    2GB/16GB version on eBay
    Edited - It's €35 on amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Amlogic-Suport-Support-NETFLIX/dp/B07SJK9F84/
    There are other sellers around that may have either version of them for cheaper.
    They are Google certified and have chromecast built in.
    Mecool and Netflix are in discussion at the minute for the Netflix licence, in the meantime -
    Install both of those without opening them, then open the black one.
    Exit when login screen appears.
    Then open the white version and login, use that version from then on (add it to favourites) and if you have a Netflix account, Netflix should be in HD and 4K.

Suckit wrote: »
    Have you tried the box in another TV with higher resolution? Is there power going into the box?
    Try a hard reset - it varies from box to box, but there is usually a button to hold down while booting.

Only have 1 tv and it is an 4k one.

I think i did try hard rest more than once. The hole to the reset button is tiny though and you need something very thin to press it down and keep it down.
    it will not turn on, no sign of life so flashing it via pc isnt going to happen i suppose.

It is just a pity as i slightly preferred it over the one i am using now.
    Just fishing for ideas i hadnt tried yet.

No sign of life, I guess it's dead - unless it is the plug.
    It's unlikely that the higher resolution killed it, and while I have seen and heard some TV's and Android boxes not playing well together, I haven't heard of any causing them to blow.
    But it could have been a dodgy plug (which is far more likely) that caused it to blow. I try to use an adaptor with a fuse in it or a surge protector extension cable.
    If you haven't had it long, they may replace it. I guess it depends on where you got it.

At least 2 years old and it happend a year ago.
    So no replacement.
    Just wouldnt mind to have it working again if it had been an easy fix i had overlooked.

At least 2 years old and it happend a year ago.
    So no replacement.
    Just wouldnt mind to have it working again if it had been an easy fix i had overlooked.
    It could be, but some of these boxes can blow easily enough too. I remember the MXQ boxes with the orange button on them, I bought three, plugged the first one in, and nothing. Thought I could get a faint smell of burning.

Second box, the same thing, but now knew that the burning smell was likely not in my imagination.

I sent all three back. But from then on I use an adaptor even if it has a UK plug.

Mecool KM3 or KM9 Pro on GeekBuying (Try codes 43QUGMXL or 43QUIMJK from an EU warehouse to drop the price)
    Or
    2GB/16GB version on eBay
    Edited - It's €35 on amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Amlogic-Suport-Support-NETFLIX/dp/B07SJK9F84/
    There are other sellers around that may have either version of them for cheaper.
    They are Google certified and have chromecast built in.
    Mecool and Netflix are in discussion at the minute for the Netflix licence, in the meantime -
    Install both of those without opening them, then open the black one.
    Exit when login screen appears.
    Then open the white version and login, use that version from then on (add it to favourites) and if you have a Netflix account, Netflix should be in HD and 4K.

Probably a stupid question, but, given the issues with it on some devices, will the RTÉ Player work on this?

Will Netflix HD automatically update if/when those discussions are finished and the licence is granted?

How long have you had your own box and how have you found it overall?

• Advertisement

Probably a stupid question, but, given the issues with it on some devices, will the RTÉ Player work on this?

Will Netflix HD automatically update if/when those discussions are finished and the licence is granted?

How long have you had your own box and how have you found it overall?
    I haven't actually tried RTE Player on it, but I will when I get back. It should work, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.
    Yes, they expect/hope the Netflix licence to automatically update when/if the situation is rectified - Hopefully at the next update, but Netflix aren't happy with them, so they may have to pay out.

I think I got mine in April or May (maybe earlier), the only issue so far I have is logging in remotely. I can't control the box, only look and point. But both Anydesk and Teamviewer replied to me acknowledging that and said that they are aware of the issue with Android TV (Mi Box and Shield) and will hopefully be able to change that with an update.
    No SPDIF output so you may want something like this and I have read some issues with the remote not working properly if some generic wireless mice are plugged into USB port, but neither of those an issue for me.

I haven't actually tried RTE Player on it, but I will when I get back. It should work, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.
    Yes, they expect/hope the Netflix licence to automatically update when/if the situation is rectified - Hopefully at the next update, but Netflix aren't happy with them, so they may have to pay out.

I think I got mine in April or May (maybe earlier), the only issue so far I have is logging in remotely. I can't control the box, only look and point. But both Anydesk and Teamviewer replied to me acknowledging that and said that they are aware of the issue with Android TV (Mi Box and Shield) and will hopefully be able to change that with an update.
    No SPDIF output so you may want something like this and I have read some issues with the remote not working properly if some generic wireless mice are plugged into USB port, but neither of those an issue for me.

There is an issue with the RTÉ Player in that it works on certain Android TV devices yet there are issues with others - e.g. if you open it one time, fine. If you open it a second time, the screen goes black with the little green robot icon in the top corner and you have to pull the power cable/plug out and reboot the device. Only workabout around is to delete the cache in the app/device every time you close the app.

Wouldn't have any need to log in remotely to be honest, not sure why anyone would? No SPDIF output wouldn't be an issue for many either I suspect?

Rte player is absolute crap,about time they spent a bit of money on it and made it useable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

yabadabado wrote: »
    Rte player is absolute crap,about time they spent a bit of money on it and made it useable.

the app loads on android 9 tv os but crashs and u have to clear cache and restart to get it going again

There is an issue with the RTÉ Player in that it works on certain Android TV devices yet there are issues with others - e.g. if you open it one time, fine. If you open it a second time, the screen goes black with the little green robot icon in the top corner and you have to pull the power cable/plug out and reboot the device. Only workabout around is to delete the cache in the app/device every time you close the app.

Wouldn't have any need to log in remotely to be honest, not sure why anyone would? No SPDIF output wouldn't be an issue for many either I suspect?
    I have never tried RTE Player on any box, I never found it that good. I remember hearing the devs (and possibly the site) were also connected to somebody in there, a lady, IIRC which may explain it being so crap (But I couldn't say how much of that if any, is true).

I have to login remotely for a number of reasons. If I am not there and they 'forget' how to turn on the vpn and use BBC iPlayer (or can't get it to work), or if something else isn't working/didn't update properly.
    TBH it hasn't been an issue so much for a good while now, so I haven't really missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

this version works well on fire tv, no adds either. apk's from shield
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78776334&postcount=64

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dabrisin

I am looking to buy an NVidia Shield Pro and can't seem to source one.
    Anyone know where I could buy one ?

dabrisin wrote: »

Amazon or direct form Nvidia(think you might need to use PM) is the best spots but both seem to be out of stock atm.

Might have to hold off for a few weeks.

dabrisin wrote: »

It's available from Cyberport for €219 + €21.99 shipping (€240.99 delivered)

https://www.cyberport.de/gaming/pdp/7d03-10c/nvidia-shield-tv-pro.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 dabrisin

That's great, thanks so much, couldn't find it anywhere.

Advertisement