Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

walshy_c wrote: »
    Guys, which of the thee boxes below (specifications are in the links) have the better specs? I would perfer the ability to dual boot like with the Pipo X8, however if the Minix Boxes were much more powerful I would stick to a single boot box.

Pipo X8
    Minix Neo Z64 (Android or Windows)
    Minix Neo X8-H Plus

I think if I had to stick with one OS, it would be Windows. Thanks in advance.

I have the pipo x7, and Kodi is running perfect on it. And have a wireless mouse and keyboard from Lidl connected, which speeds things up considerably (movie titles and such).

There is also a pipo x9 just launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

walshy_c wrote: »
    Guys, which of the thee boxes below (specifications are in the links) have the better specs? I would perfer the ability to dual boot like with the Pipo X8, however if the Minix Boxes were much more powerful I would stick to a single boot box.

Pipo X8
    Minix Neo Z64 (Android or Windows)
    Minix Neo X8-H Plus

I think if I had to stick with one OS, it would be Windows. Thanks in advance.

I recently got the Pipo x8 and find it great, Kodi runs really smoothly on it and it boots up quickly! II don't use android as there is no need really. I think having windows is a huge plus for this.

The screen is cheap but that doesn't matter really, plus mine came with Windows 10 installed by default (but didn't have the one year free office) which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Anyone use BBC iplayer with their android box? Just got an m8s and I can download a programme fine, but when I go to it, it makes a brief attempt but then jumps back to the programme download page.
    Is there an earlier version of iplayer that works on these boxes or does anyone have a different solution?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Raoul Duke wrote:
    Anyone use BBC iplayer with their android box? Just got an m8s and I can download a programme fine, but when I go to it, it makes a brief attempt but then jumps back to the programme download page. Is there an earlier version of iplayer that works on these boxes or does anyone have a different solution?

probably vpn is required....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

tharmor wrote: »

There's a proxy built into it. Just need to enable it

Edit sounds like he means the iplayer app not addon.

• Advertisement

The vpn is required to get a programme downloaded. This I have succeeded in doing. My issue is with watching what I have downloaded already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    The vpn is required to get a programme downloaded. This I have succeeded in doing. My issue is with watching what I have downloaded already.

do you have this installed too?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.uk.co.bbc.android.mediaplayer&hl=en

batistuta9 wrote: »

Yeah. I can only imagine that either the CPU or GPU isn't compatible at the moment. I know that some tablets / phones have issues with playing downloaded programmes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Yeah. I can only imagine that either the CPU or GPU isn't compatible at the moment. I know that some tablets / phones have issues with playing downloaded programmes as well.

maybe, not sure tbh. because of codecs is it?

maybe you could try different downloads, in case the file got corrupted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Guys and gals, this thread is littered with requests not to talk about add ons and what they can do or else it will be closed! There is another thread for that sort of talk so maybe head over there...... ;)

• Advertisement

Well my droibox mxq seems to be lost in transit...typical amazon....can anyone suggest advanced level box with higher specs as i think i am comfortable with kodi now :) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Bought the minix neo 8xH plus in the link BandMember, it runs great!
    Only problem so far is the play store wont update,it keeps trying to load and then fails.
    I was only at it for a few minutes so I will give it a shot later, I'll prob have to side load the latest google play apk to get it working.
    Everything else is working great! Nice little machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ Update the firmware it will fix quite a few issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Hmm, how do i do that? I thought I did that,there was a 20mb update in the settings,maybe there is more..

Edit: turned it on there and it's working fine, play store is fully up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

anyone looking at getting the nvidia shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Pinkman

BandMember wrote: »
    Ok, well, the last thing that I want to do is get this thread shut down!! :o I've got absolutely no problem sharing on this thread - the only reason that I didn't was that I wasn't sure if it was ok to do so or not.

However, after seeing other people post some links, I'm going to post them here (Mods: please accept my apologies and delete if this is not allowed).

Minix Neo X-8H Plus - http://www.adverts.ie/tv/minix-x8-h-plus-quad-core-2gb-ram-16gb-rom-xbmc-fully-loaded/7130022

The remote controls with all android boxes are rubbish so I would highly recommend that you get this one as well - http://www.adverts.ie/tv/air-mouse-wireless-keyboard-remote/6349987

Does Plex work well on that box? Cheers.

tharmor wrote:
    Well my droibox mxq seems to be lost in transit...typical amazon....can anyone suggest advanced level box with higher specs as i think i am comfortable with kodi now !!

Guys any recc ??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Guys any recc ??

If you are looking for a pure Kodi system (non Android) look into a Raspberry Pi2, a little challenge but it runs Kodi on Open ELec which imo is a far better system than Android.

The board and case with the few bits will cost in around €70 plus being exempt from.customs as well with EU sellers easy find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Pinkman wrote: »

I thought Plex on android only played local files, or am I mistaken ?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Is the one on post 20 a good purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 irishlad94

I'm currently looking to buy an android box. i have been told that Minix are the brand to get and i was just wondering whether people could point me in the direction for my quite basic needs which are: A relatively cheap box that only needs to have at least one usb output that can play as video types- MKV, AVI, and MP4. Also only needs to be 1080p no need for 4k. Any ideas as to models and on what website to buy them on?? any help would be highly appreciated!!

Guys my mxq arrived today...issue is the video does not fill entire tv screen...just top left corner....any idea how to fix it ??

Edit : Apparently fixed in kodi 15.2 :) !!

lads any advise on how to make the mxq box faster ? I would be using other apps on the box...so openelec not an option..

Happy with the box so far....apart from minor hiccups when i scroll quickly ;) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Anybody using the wetek????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Redriddick wrote: »
    Anybody using the wetek????

did u put on a new image
    there new enigma2 images that have kodi aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

rejkin wrote: »
    Bought the minix neo 8xH plus in the link BandMember, it runs great!
    Only problem so far is the play store wont update,it keeps trying to load and then fails.
    I was only at it for a few minutes so I will give it a shot later, I'll prob have to side load the latest google play apk to get it working.
    Everything else is working great! Nice little machine.
    coldfire1x wrote: »
    ^^ Update the firmware it will fix quite a few issues.

Hi rejkin, glad to hear that you invested and I hope that everything works out great for you. :D I've no idea what the issue with the Playstore is though as I don't use it. I tend to uninstall all the apps and stuff that I don't need (including wiping Kodi and installing my own bare minimum bulid) as I find that the box runs smoother that way.

The latest firmware should be on the box (as they usually update them), but, in order to do a firmware update you just go into "All Apps" and then select "OTA Update" (it's a blue icon), click it and sit back while the box does all the work to update itself. Repeat, if necessary, until it tells you that your system is up to date. You should probably do that once a month or so to keep it updated and to save yourself from doing a mountain of updates down the road later.
    Pinkman wrote: »

I don't use Plex so I couldn't tell you to be honest. However, I did a quick Google search and it seems that there are issues with Plex on android boxes generally. I don't think that it's recommended. I'm not sure why you want it as everything would be available through Kodi anyway.... :confused: If you want to pick up a box that would run Plex smoothly, I would pick up a cheap Now TV box from Argos (they are, or were, doing a sale on them) as they seem to be all the rage now, but, that's for a different thread altogether..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

brijay wrote: »

I've used the 2nd one you linked to with no problems.I tend to wipe Kodi and do a fresh install and a new build so the box coming pre-loaded doesn't bother me.The free keyboard is great as the remotes are a pain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Guys my mxq arrived today...issue is the video does not fill entire tv screen...just top left corner....any idea how to fix it ??

Edit : Apparently fixed in kodi 15.2 :) !!

Settings/display/display position

take it back to 88%

Download a cache cleaner to make it faster or if its a streaming issue connect it to the net by a cable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ok folks, going to take the plunge today and attempt to get android accessibility back on my pipo.

I'm going to follow the method mentioned detailed here .

One thing bothering me is this bit though.
    3. Decompress the firmware file, copy the Android system to U flash driver, connect to mini PC. Press F7 while booting up, when the display show this interface as below, click “Enter”, it will be executed automatically.

How do I press f7 on a pipo that has no physical keyboard:confused:

I can't seem to find an f7 function on my airmouse either, model i25 Rii mini.

Anyone any heads up or thoughts on the above upgrade methods?

Advertisement