Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the minix boxes come highly recommended from this forum, particularly the x8. you may get them cheaper online though rather than from local retailers. seems like many are paying over the odds for these boxes so look around. havent bothered purchasing myself yet as im happily running kodi on the laptop. seems like theres plenty of cheap entry level boxes on the market though. i hear that m8 is pretty good?

I have had no problem with it so far, I mainly use if for sports but Genesis works really well too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

threein99 wrote: »
    I have one myself that I got a year ago, I just wanted reassurance they are still decent

The Minix are the best box around IMHO as they are very user friendly, have great specs, easy to do OTA firmware updates and if you keep your add ons up to date (and do your daily maintenance of cleaning all caches, packages etc.) then there is no better box around. Expensive, yes - but you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay the extra for the Minix that will last me years rather than pay the same for a number of cheap boxes that don't perform as well or last as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bought a cheap 2g Ram box on Amazon,it was meant for somebody else but I kept it.So far so good.

I think it was this one,http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haehne-RK3188-Android-1-8GHz-Bluetooth/dp/B00VQ53N8E/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41B39owfInL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=05GGSPJECE5MDF558RQY

It's not Android 4.2 as per description,it's 4.42

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Pocoyo wrote: »
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Fashion-Gyroscope-Mini-Fly-Air-Mouse-T2-2-4G-Wireless-3D-Remote-Sensing-Air-Mouse/32374843518.html

Top tip, trusted seller and quality product everyone of you should buy it as a back up anyone without a gryro mouse should buy it as their control of choice. 6.65e free delivery.

Ordered one of these thanks, I'm using a couple of Logitech K400s but need something more convenient for when I'm lying on the sofa. Will report back as to how it goes and get a few more if it is any good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Ordered one of these thanks, I'm using a couple of Logitech K400s but need something more convenient for when I'm lying on the sofa. Will report back as to how it goes and get a few more if it is any good

You will be happy i was astounded at the quality,responsiveness and feel of the remote in my hand. Ya will love it man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

You will be happy i was astounded at the quality,responsiveness and feel of the remote in my hand. Ya will love it man.

Nice to hear,ordered one this morning, should be more useful than stock remote of M8S, Sony remote works once It's turned on through HDMI, like CGNS, have the K400 for typing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Berkieahern

I can't seem to get my MX into recovery using the toothpick method. I'm trying to flash with openelec.

The android man comes up, but doesn't give me the options menu. And then boots back into the main screen again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Fashion-Gyroscope-Mini-Fly-Air-Mouse-T2-2-4G-Wireless-3D-Remote-Sensing-Air-Mouse/32374843518.html

Top tip, trusted seller and quality product everyone of you should buy it as a back up anyone without a gryro mouse should buy it as their control of choice. 6.65e free delivery.

Done thanks

Invincible wrote: »
    Nice to hear,ordered one this morning, should be more useful than stock remote of M8S, Sony remote works once It's turned on through HDMI, like CGNS, have the K400 for typing.

Peanuts man,I ordered 14 in 3 different orders from that seller,they all worked and arrived.

Peanuts man,I ordered 14 in 3 different orders from that seller,they all worked and arrived.

About the question you were helping me with here's the home screen on my box

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    About the question you were helping me with here's the home screen on my box

Settings/more settings/apps/kodi clear data and cache data....it will give a warning message click ok then reopen kodi..

then follow video

How long do they take too arrive normally

MrMac84 wrote: »
    How long do they take too arrive normally

2,3 or 4 weeks once they took 4 but since then they changed to china post and the last time took two weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Pocoyo wrote:

Can i buy this instead of an airmouse ?

tharmor wrote: »
    Can i buy this instead of an airmouse ?

Yeah its an air mouse mor. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

Done a good bit of googling and looking through this thread but can find anything definitive.

Looking to ditch sky, no aerial so need to be able to get a box that plays the Irish channels, most importantly we only have a 5Mb connection, is there anything out there that would suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

funnyname wrote: »
    Done a good bit of googling and looking through this thread but can find anything definitive.

Looking to ditch sky, no aerial so need to be able to get a box that plays the Irish channels, most importantly we only have a 5Mb connection, is there anything out there that would suit?

I'm on a wireless dongle here and similar speeds mate, due to lack of upgrade to system in rural areas. but running Kod on my Android TV is fine occasional stutter but can live with that rather than pay 70 plus a month

Most boxes have good and bad reviews dependant on user experience. if your unsure buy a cheapish one to play with/learn on but 2gb ram/8gb would be min to go for with 1.8 ghz processor IMHO.

I would personally put the black box build on it as there is loads of support for it on face ache and other sites

hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

These boxes aren't really great for Live tv imo. More for tv series & movies like a netflix service really.

Have a look at a soarview box for Irish tv.

Anyone else have blank menu boxes showing on screen?

Using the Neon Skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Anyone else have blank menu boxes showing on screen?

Using the Neon Skin!

Are you using a custom wizard or build?IF so I'd say the fonts were edited and the skin updated....this in turn broke the edited fonts.You can try navigate(I know it's blank) to Settings>Appearance>and scroll to fonts and try change it.If not try reinstall the skin or the custom font files from the build(if that's what you used).

Or
    You upgraded to a newer version of Kodi and it broke the GUISettings from your current setup.So either reinstall kodi,or roll back to a version that worked.Hope this helps a bit.

• Advertisement

http://wetek.com/product/wetek-play

Anyone ever use one of these?

They look very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Just after taking the plunge with my first android box, went for the M8 quad core as mentioned in #20. Should arrive next week! Some great info in here lads, cheers.

Is there a keyboard on that remote? You'd be mad to buy a remote without one as you're only wasting your money - between searching for shows/movies, typing repos and captchas etc., you really would need one.

To be honest, with 5MB you are going to struggle with live tv. You need 2.5MB for an SD stream and 5-6MB for a HD stream so you would be limited in what you could watch. You should be fine for the regular tv shows and movies though. I think your best option would be to get a Saorview box or a Saorview/FTA combi box for your live tv and use an android box for the shows and movies which appear on non FTA channels. Also, you will need an unlimited data allowance with your broadband for a box like this. If you could upgrade your broadband to an unlimited higher speed package, you could ditch everything and use the android box for everything. That's my two cent anyway....

BandMember wrote: »
    Is there a keyboard on that remote? You'd be mad to buy a remote without one as you're only wasting your money - between searching for shows/movies, typing repos and captchas etc., you really would need one.

You absolutely dont need one. this is for android box users

As im sure most gyroscopic air mouse users will tell you the keyboard is rarely used you automatically use the onscreen keyboard due to the ease of movement.

So i must 100% utterly disagree with you.

You absolutely dont need one. this is for android box users

As im sure most gyroscopic air mouse users will tell you the keyboard is rarely used you automatically use the onscreen keyboard due to the ease of movement.

So i must 100% utterly disagree with you.

Hey, that's fair enough - that's your opinion and I completely respect it. However, I bought air mice with a keyboard for all the boxes I have and bought the same one for all my family and friends and they swear by it. They've already recommended that their mates do the same.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but I think it's great to have two users with completely different viewpoints! :) It only shows the options that you have. It probably makes things more confusing for beginners though... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Just after taking the plunge with my first android box, went for the M8 quad core as mentioned in #20. Should arrive next week! Some great info in here lads, cheers.

Hi there

The m8 is dreadfull its an update of s805,it slow and mouse speed is dreadfull on it and kodi will freeze and buffer alot on it,hope you can get a return on it,you will see in few months i was right,i brought mine had for two months got rid of it better boxes out there do your research dont buy off people here there fooling you into buying a cheap knock of version thats my opinion anyway hope it works for you maybe i got a bad batch haha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have been using the M8 on Open Elec for over a year as my go to box. Maybe I was lucky but I couldn't fault it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

kodistar wrote: »
    Hi there

The m8 is dreadfull its an update of s805,it slow and mouse speed is dreadfull on it and kodi will freeze and buffer alot on it,hope you can get a return on it,you will see in few months i was right,i brought mine had for two months got rid of it better boxes out there do your research dont buy off people here there fooling you into buying a cheap knock of version thats my opinion anyway hope it works for you maybe i got a bad batch haha

The box in post 20 isnt a Boards User selling it its a Amazon seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

kodistar wrote: »
    Hi there

THanks for the input, I guess I'll wait and see next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I was actually looking at what I think is a newer version of the above ?

J-Bonest 4K Quad Core S812 M8S 2GB/8GB , I'm assuming this would be good enough given previous talk in this thread .

Advertisement