Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

kodistar wrote: »
    Hi there

The m8 is dreadfull its an update of s805,it slow and mouse speed is dreadfull on it and kodi will freeze and buffer alot on it,hope you can get a return on it,you will see in few months i was right,i brought mine had for two months got rid of it better boxes out there do your research dont buy off people here there fooling you into buying a cheap knock of version thats my opinion anyway hope it works for you maybe i got a bad batch haha

I have two M8 boxes for the last 5 months and find them awesome. Five of my work colleagues and my brother and father also bought the same one.

Perfect out of the box for all the latest tv series and dvd releases.

A bit unreliable for live tv though, it might not buffer once for one match then you have guests around and it won't stop buffering, Murphy's law I suppose so I just for a paid iptv service.

I'm sky free since August and I haven't looked back.

You must have got a bad batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

A bit unreliable for live tv though, it might not buffer once for one match then you have guests around and it won't stop buffering, Murphy's law I suppose so I just for a paid iptv service.

That sounds like it could be problems with (a) your internet provider and/or (b) the actual stream itself. Some people have problems with streaming anything on their ISP's, who may throttle or have congestion issues - especially during peak times. Even some well known providers are known to have problems like this. Yes, the free IPTV streams can be very hit and miss but if you are using an alternative source to this, you should take it up with your provider as it sounds like it's their issue. However, we can't talk about that sort of thing here so I will say no more on that topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

BandMember wrote: »

To be honest, with 5MB you are going to struggle with live tv. You need 2.5MB for an SD stream and 5-6MB for a HD stream so you would be limited in what you could watch. You should be fine for the regular tv shows and movies though. I think your best option would be to get a Saorview box or a Saorview/FTA combi box for your live tv and use an android box for the shows and movies which appear on non FTA channels. Also, you will need an unlimited data allowance with your broadband for a box like this. If you could upgrade your broadband to an unlimited higher speed package, you could ditch everything and use the android box for everything. That's my two cent anyway....

I dont have a problem watching Live HD Tv streams, very occasional buffering but it's rare on the average 5 meg down speed from my dongle on wifi, but as I said a small price to pay compared to monthly sub's.

But if your expecting the super smooth HD quality like you get from your subscription then the only thing to do is stay with subscription TV. It is what is " very good most of the time and free"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I'm thinking of getting my dad one of these for crimbo he'd be semi tech savy enough,
    I'd prefer one that uses openelec and plex if possible.
    It would be used for local media and also streaming services.
    What would be a good box for this. I'd prefer if it didnt have android at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Psygnosis wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting my dad one of these for crimbo he'd be semi tech savy enough,
    I'd prefer one that uses openelec and plex if possible.
    It would be used for local media and also streaming services.
    What would be a good box for this. I'd prefer if it didnt have android at all.

Raspberry Pi2, runs OE and Kodi like a dream by all account's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Cheers for that,
    For some reason maybe I'm being naive here but prefer one of the android boxes like an m8 or something of the ilk with a remote control that he could click through.
    The pi2 adds up to quite allot with peripherals aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Cheers for that,
    For some reason maybe I'm being naive here but prefer one of the android boxes like an m8 or something of the ilk with a remote control that he could click through.
    The pi2 adds up to quite allot with peripherals aswell

I run Open Elec on M8, runs a dream, 14.2 version

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

kodistar wrote: »
    Hi there

The m8 is dreadfull its an update of s805,it slow and mouse speed is dreadfull on it and kodi will freeze and buffer alot on it,hope you can get a return on it,you will see in few months i was right,i brought mine had for two months got rid of it better boxes out there do your research dont buy off people here there fooling you into buying a cheap knock of version thats my opinion anyway hope it works for you maybe i got a bad batch haha

Hi you can download a ram booster and cache cleaner free from google play

The mouse speed can also be increased in settings

Failing the above you bought a clone i have come across a couple of these if this is the case you could run antutu benchmark and post the results here and to the seller that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Looking for and adfoid box that will play movies via network media server and attached USB hard drive with WiFi included. Looking on this thread and Amazon throws up many options but I would like advice from someone with a similar setup. Any remote control apps for tablet that could be used with these boxes?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Anyone know any good ones around the 50€ mark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

the rte player app, is it just a pile of crap or what? anyone have a good experience with it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

guys i got the usb bluetooth receiver...how do i get it to work on MXQ box ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

tharmor wrote: »

Which USB Bluetooth receiver ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the rte player app, is it just a pile of crap or what? anyone have a good experience with it?

Nope. Could never get it to work - same for the Irish TV add on (the one in Mikey's repo). It's a pity as both would be great additions, especially for the Irish abroad. The MX RTÉ add on was great but unfortunately that's long gone... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

tharmor wrote: »

If your talking about the keyboard usb receiver?just plug it into the back of the box and turn on the key board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

BandMember wrote: »
    Nope. Could never get it to work - same for the Irish TV add on (the one in Mikey's repo). It's a pity as both would be great additions, especially for the Irish abroad. The MX RTÉ add on was great but unfortunately that's long gone... :(

it worked on my box, well kinda, sound was out of sync in some videos. the video quality is poor too. this all after it only playing audio only. i was wondering was it only for me, the reviews on the play store makes it seem not :pac:

yeah i uninstalled the irish addon, the player never worked on it or even the live feeds for me(tv3 & tg4 i think did though).
    there was another addon that had 720p live streams of rte, that's probably the one you're on about, i remember checking it out but it's long enough ago now

eamonnq wrote:
    Which USB Bluetooth receiver ?

crazygeryy wrote:
    If your talking about the keyboard usb receiver?just plug it into the back of the box and turn on the key board.

***http. ://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1io7OIpXXXXcCXVXXq6xXFXXXb/Mini-USB-Wireless-Bluetooth-Adapter-V-4-0-Dongle-High-Gain-CSR-4-0-For-Win7.jpg_220x220.jpg

This one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Just bought this guy after reading through the whole thread - €72 in total when paying in sterling. Thanks all for the excellent resource that this thread is!

It might be worth someone writing a quick post on the few recommendations from the thread and some pros and cons of each - I'd no problem reading through, but for anyone who just wants to buy I think it'd be a seriously useful addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Bawnmore wrote: »

It might be worth someone ELSE writing a quick post on the few recommendations from the thread and some pros and cons of each - I'd no problem reading through, but for anyone who just wants to buy I think it'd be a seriously useful addition.

FYP...........Don't let us stop you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

eamonnq wrote: »
    FYP...........Don't let us stop you:D

I knew someone would pull me up on it :pac: I'm probably the wrong person for it if the aim is for it to be useful! All that's registered with me after reading the whole thread is:

J-Bonest M8: recommended and everyone seems to agree. If they don't agree, they're wrong or they've bought a knock off.
    J-Bonest M8S: Same as the 1st one, but has an S in it so it must be better. (I bought this one)
    Something MIII: Same as the 1st one, but slightly cheaper.
    PIPO: Does the same thing, but has a screen for some unknown reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Can anyone recommend somewhere online or in shops where to get a plug suitable for these boxes?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GYRDZGE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I bought this one before but it doesn't work.:mad:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SF4UWKG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

Can anyone recommend somewhere online or in shops where to get a plug suitable for these boxes?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GYRDZGE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I bought this one before but it doesn't work.:mad:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SF4UWKG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Wouldn't an adapter work with the original plug!
    Seller should have supplied one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Invincible wrote: »
    Wouldn't an adapter work with the original plug!
    Seller should have supplied one.

Sorry I meant a power supply. I have lost the original power supply and that replacement wouldn't work with the box.

Guys having a MXQ OTT box without bluetooth. I have a bluetooth keyboard which i want to use with it...I purchase this USB bluetooth dongle with it.

I plugged it into the android box but not sure how to pair it with my keyboard ! Thanks in advance for all the help !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sorry I meant a power supply. I have lost the original power supply and that replacement wouldn't work with the box.

It's a 5v supply,some old phone chargers might work.I got one with multi voltage adaptor in Mr.Price.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=Masterplug+Voltage+Adaptor&authToken=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Bawnmore wrote: »
    I knew someone would pull me up on it :pac: I'm probably the wrong person for it if the aim is for it to be useful! All that's registered with me after reading the whole thread is:

J-Bonest M8: recommended and everyone seems to agree. If they don't agree, they're wrong or they've bought a knock off.
    J-Bonest M8S: Same as the 1st one, but has an S in it so it must be better. (I bought this one)
    Something MIII: Same as the 1st one, but slightly cheaper.
    PIPO: Does the same thing, but has a screen for some unknown reason.

I've been using an MK808 for the last 3-4 years and think it's time to upgrade. It's a great little box but the wifi is appalling.

I've been looking at the M8S but I've seen some reviews that also report poor wifi. Can anyone confirm???
    Raspberry Pi2, runs OE and Kodi like a dream by all account's
    +1. I use a pi too, running OE, and the playback quality is outstanding. TIP: Run OE and Kodi from a USB3 key. Much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

Scotty # wrote: »
    I've been using an MK808 for the last 3-4 years and think it's time to upgrade. It's a great little box but the wifi is appalling.

I've been looking at the M8S but I've seen some reviews that also report poor wifi. Can anyone confirm???

+1. I use a pi too, running OE, and the playback quality is outstanding. TIP: Run OE and Kodi from a USB3 key. Much faster.

I bought an M8s from a seller on alibaba last December, the Wi-Fi is poor on it compared to the Tronsmart MXIII I got since, need modem to same room for M8ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Still looking for a 40 / 50 EUR delivered box if anyone has suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭xlogo

Still looking for a 40 / 50 EUR delivered box if anyone has suggestions.

If you are looking for something to load kodi on then the Amazon TV Stick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

What is the best possible set up if you have multiple tv's in the house? I want to get rid of sky because they a robbing shower and I am watching mostly Netflix and projectfreetv on laptop. The only thing I'd really miss is the live sports.

Iv heard there is a dodgy box that you pay a yearly subscription for and it comes through you satilite dish? Anyone know about this?

Advertisement