Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Berkieahern

Has anyone used one of the M8s with the little pop up camera on the front?

Looks interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    NVIDIA selling the shield tv box for €200 with the included gaming controller and the android tv remote. Looks a great deal for the best box out there. Expensive yes but you really do get what you pay for in this case.

Techrader.com say it's only a mediocre set top box but a great gaming system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Just wondering lads what spec of a box you need to use kodi and the usual others without any lag on them.

I have a mk808 and a laptop everything is grand on the laptop but on the stick everything just takes that bit longer to load etc.

Thanks all for any replies

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

Anyone recommend an android satellite box combo? Father in law has a terrible satellite receiver (Synaps box) looking to upgrade with possibility of Kodi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

hotshots85 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend an android satellite box combo? Father in law has a terrible satellite receiver (Synaps box) looking to upgrade with possibility of Kodi

There isn't really one although alien amiko are supposed to launch one pre Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

There isn't really one although alien amiko are supposed to launch one pre Christmas.

+1
    heard theres a new amiko commin out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Wetek with a sat tuner.

Has android and openelec. You can choose what type of single tuner or none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Just bought this guy after reading through the whole thread - €72 in total when paying in sterling. Thanks all for the excellent resource that this thread is!

This came on Tuesday, but haven't had a chance to play with it much yet. Wireless seems poor, might need to try find a way to run a cable from the router upstairs :/

Tried to update the firmware, and got the following error - "Check failed! Check your OTA Servier Argent" - is this normal? Is it just the case the 4.4.2 is the latest firmware maybe?

Also followed all the instructions to add on Beast for Kodi, and it gets right to the end of the download and then fails. Anyone else seeing similar with an M8S or does it just look like trouble on my side?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This came on Tuesday, but haven't had a chance to play with it much yet. Wireless seems poor, might need to try find a way to run a cable from the router upstairs :/

Tried to update the firmware, and got the following error - "Check failed! Check your OTA Servier Argent" - is this normal? Is it just the case the 4.4.2 is the latest firmware maybe?

Also followed all the instructions to add on Beast for Kodi, and it gets right to the end of the download and then fails. Anyone else seeing similar with an M8S or does it just look like trouble on my side?

Try Homeplugs to wire the box.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Try Homeplugs to wire the box.

I can't believe I've never actually heard about these. I was trying to plan out a 30 metre cable that would run through multiple rooms. Magic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I can't believe I've never actually heard about these. I was trying to plan out a 30 metre cable that would run through multiple rooms. Magic.

Ive used them on my Xbox for two years now and they are fantastic. No drops in connection and help with stability.

I read a review on that beast build, meant to be slow as it's a heavy build, try Andy's build or Spinz Lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Invincible wrote: »
    I read a review on that beast build, meant to be slow as it's a heavy build, try Andy's build or Spinz Lite.

I tend to avoid installing specific bulid's as they can be slow, full of add ons that you don't need, take up too much space and cause too many issues. The boxes perform better with the minimum of stuff installed - if you don't need or use add ons/apps, delete them as they are pointless otherwise.

Oh, and the wifi on android boxes is known to be terrible. The best way to use them (and the best performance) is through an Ethernet cable. Homeplugs are great if it's not possible to go direct into the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭dahat

BandMember wrote: »
    I tend to avoid installing specific bulid's as they can be slow, full of add ons that you don't need, take up too much space and cause too many issues. The boxes perform better with the minimum of stuff installed - if you don't need or use add ons/apps, delete them as they are pointless otherwise.

Oh, and the wifi on android boxes is known to be terrible. The best way to use them (and the best performance) is through an Ethernet cable. Homeplugs are great if it's not possible to go direct into the router.

+1

Do your own build with add ons you actually use rather than someone's else's stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Berkieahern

moleyv wrote: »
    Wetek with a sat tuner.

Has android and openelec. You can choose what type of single tuner or none.

Do you have one?

I'm really close to buying the Wetek play, just don't know what there like performance wise!

I was installing it for ease of use more than anything for channels etc.

Is there a good resource listing useful add ons that'd be a good starting point? I was looking at SEO Michael but it seems to be a lot of individual add on posts rather than a "Getting Started" type resource. i could definitely be wrong on this as well.

I was installing it for ease of use more than anything for channels etc.

Is there a good resource listing useful add ons that'd be a good starting point? I was looking at SEO Michael but it seems to be a lot of individual add on posts rather than a "Getting Started" type resource. i could definitely be wrong on this as well.

We can't talk about individual add ons here or else the thread will be closed.

I agree, a lot of add ons that you wouldn't bother with, but can delete. I've installed add one and repos on box's before, but the builds are slick and visually pleasing with their image/skin integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

NO KNOWLEDGE OF TV STREAMING - SLIGHTLY CONFUSED.

HI, As mentioned above I know nothing bout set up for TV Streaming - I have read the previous 7 pages on this board & am a bit unsure bout what I should do

I have a Smart TV.
    I have UPC Wi-Fi
    I have NO Satelite Dish
    I'm based in Dublin

Could some1 pls advise what streaming box I should purchase.
    Also is it necessary to subscribe to a site or is there still any sites which stream movies free - I believe MovieTube was good for films but has been shut down recently.

Thanking U in advance.

HI, As mentiined above I know nothing bout set up for TV Streaming - I have read the previous 7 pages on this board & am a bit unsure bout what I should do

I have a Smart TV.
    I have UPC Wi-Fi
    I have NO Satelite Dish
    I'm based in Dublin

Could some1 pls advise what streaming box I should purchase.
    Also is it necessary to subscribe to a site or is there still any site which stream movies free - I believe MovieTube was good fir films but has been shut down recently.

Thanking U in advance.

I'd go for a Tronsmart MXIII plus 2GB/8GB, about $69 on Geekbuying, might be a discount code on freaktab.com, there was before. As for add one, can't be discussed here but YouTube and Google and seo Michael has information.

Edit: Its now $64.99 on their black Friday offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,420 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i wouldnt recommend buying anything yet. load kodi on whatever device(s) you have and start playing around with it, just to see if you like the technology as it can be a little clunky clicky. works well though. plenty of advice on youtube to get you started. its the main program used on these boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

This is probably a stupid question but will rte or tv3 players work on most android boxes, was looking at a few on Amazon. Presume Netflix will.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

rowr wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question but will rte or tv3 players work on most android boxes, was looking at a few on Amazon. Presume Netflix will.

Thanks in advance

Both will, just like on a phone or tablet really, I've found that the 3player works better lately, I think they revamped it before the Rugby World Cup.The RTE player is usable, but I find sometimes its a bit flakey, you need to reload the clip a few times to get it to work properly.

I think Netflix will only provide 720p links on some boxes.

Guys, can ye please stop talking about add ons or this thread will end up getting closed!! Please go to the other thread to talk about individual add ons. It would be a shame if this very helpful and informative thread were to be closed due to people ignoring repeated warnings....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Guys, can ye please stop talking about add ons or this thread will end up getting closed!! Please go to the other thread to talk about individual add ons. It would be a shame if this very helpful and informative thread were to be closed due to people ignoring repeated warnings....

Sorry
    I will delete the post if you think it will cause problems
    I didnt mention any particular addon just builds and devs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I think this should be reposted every 15 or so posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Lads, my sound is a bit muffled and tinny, one of my kids messed around with the sound presets, and I don't have a clue what I need to get it back to being crystal clear again.

Anyone that fancies sending me a screen shot of their sound settings will make it on to my nice list for Christmas.

Lads, my sound is a bit muffled and tinny, one of my kids messed around with the sound presets, and I don't have a clue what I need to get it back to being crystal clear again.

Anyone that fancies sending me a screen shot of their sound settings will make it on to my nice list for Christmas.

All I see in settings-sound are the following, volume, notifications and alarm's.
    Is this what you're after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Invincible wrote: »
    All I see in settings-sound are the following, volume, notifications and alarm's.
    Is this what you're after?

Cheers, am sorted.

They had "volume amplification" ratcheted up to the max. :)

All good again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Lads you know the downward arrows on the top of the TV screen that show when you have downloaded something,same as on a tablet or phone.how to I get rid of them from the top of my screen? Can't for the life of me figure it out.

Advertisement