Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Again, wasn't sure to make a new thread or ask here - I'm a bit torn.

What's the best thing to do?

I see loads of Irish sellers selling boxes for €100+ and can't figure it out -

Are they just buying the boxes cheap on ali express and floggin them off at two or three times the price?

Where does one get a box" that isn't "fully loaded" ? Just a run of the mill Android box with 2gb ram and none of the other stuff. Would this work out a lot cheaper?

I'm tempted to buy off Aliexpress but not sure if they'd fleece with customs and waiting weeks.

I've installed Kodi on my own Laptop and "loaded" it myself which was v simple. Would just like an android box to avoid the hassle of dragging out laptop and HDMI cable everytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Shlippery wrote: »
    Again, wasn't sure to make a new thread or ask here - I'm a bit torn.

What's the best thing to do?

I see loads of Irish sellers selling boxes for €100+ and can't figure it out -

Are they just buying the boxes cheap on ali express and floggin them off at two or three times the price?

Where does one get a box" that isn't "fully loaded" ? Just a run of the mill Android box with 2gb ram and none of the other stuff. Would this work out a lot cheaper?

I'm tempted to buy off Aliexpress but not sure if they'd fleece with customs and waiting weeks.

I've installed Kodi on my own Laptop and "loaded" it myself which was v simple. Would just like an android box to avoid the hassle of dragging out laptop and HDMI cable everytime!

The last "fully loaded box" I bought cost about €40.I checked what they loaded it with and wiped it then installed a fresh build of kodi with what I wanted on it.
    You'll get a 2GB box from Amazon for about €45 or so.The last one I got cost that and it's going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

There are plenty that should avoid customs if you don't need it in a hurry.
    i.e. - They're around the €30 mark with free shipping.
    Or you could buy them from Amazon (shipped from China) for more with no customsm or from Europe for slightly more, but faster shipping.

- Yep, they're buying them and selling them at 3 or 4 times the price.

They all (the boxes) have roughly the same lifespan in them (no matter if €30 or €200) as you can only write and erase (P/E cycles) a Finite amount of times to flash storage, and that number is greatly reduced on cheaper Nand Flash Storage.
    All of the boxes (or most anyway) will have 'wear levelling' controllers - Where the writing to the storage is evenly distributed, rather than being allowed to randomly wear out one sector quicker.
    Also, the more full the storage, the less room for the 'wear levelling' controllers algorithms can do their job. - i.e. They are more likely to wear out quicker.
    Write Amplification also contributes.
    There are boxes that should last longer, and most of the AMLogic boxes can run an OS (e.g. AMLinux or OpenELEC) from an SD/MicroSD card reducing wear to the storage on the box.
    So if you have an AMLogic device, it's probably a good idea to install OpenELEC on to an external card.
    If you have an S812 or an S805 and are writing to the internal storage, chances are they'll last as long as each other.
    If you are using Torrent Streaming software on your Android box, then it's doing much more harm than good. It's okay to use it occasionally but it's not advisable to use it a lot.

More about wear levelling
    http://searchsolidstatestorage.techtarget.com/definition/wear-leveling

Also, with S912 out soon and presumably similarly priced you may be better off going for a €30 box anyway, and waiting to see what the S912 are like, or to see how low the S812 drop in price.

Sorry for the random waffle.. :o Something i had in my head, as a lot of the time the type of chip is mentioned or the price of the box. I thought it may be useful/helpful to know other things should be factored in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Using an Mx3 2GB for awhile now with openelec on it and all is good, But I'm looking to future proof and get another new toy with Sat Tuner onboard.

Any recommendation for a mid to higher end unit that I should be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Something to note for anyone thinking of getting an Amazon Fire TV , it only supports USB Harddrives formatted in Fat 32 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jonski wrote: »
    Something to note for anyone thinking of getting an Amazon Fire TV , it only supports USB Harddrives formatted in Fat 32 :(

Also i ordered one Sunday 6/12 and it was due to be delivered 12/12. This date has now been pushed back to the 16/12.

Just be careful in case your ordering now to have before Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Guys you know the button with 3 lines on it on the original remote,If you hold it down a little rocket appears and it automatically cleans the cache/memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Guys you know the button with 3 lines on it on the original remote,If you hold it down a little rocket appears and it automatically cleans the cache/memory.

Which box ?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Which box ?

Any android box for sure m8/mxq/m5 but as far as i know you have to use the basic remote to do it.

Any android box for sure m8/mxq/m5 but as far as i know you have to use the basic remote to do it.

How often should ya clear it out ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Allyall wrote: »
    They all (the boxes) have roughly the same lifespan in them (no matter if €30 or €200) as you can only write and erase (P/E cycles) a Finite amount of times to flash storage, and that number is greatly reduced on cheaper Nand Flash Storage.

Just as a matter of interest, what is the average lifespan of these boxes? I've mine a year now, use it every day and it probably works better now than when I bought it thanks to all the firmware updates.... :D

Every day is ideal but at least weekly to keep the box fast and smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Hey guys I bought an android box in soundstore last year and installed kodi in it.I only installed what I found on YouTube and online. Just wondering does anyone know should I clear everything and start again,would there be a more updated version of kodi? A lot of my streams for the games are hit and miss mostly miss .

Every day is ideal but at least weekly to keep the box fast and smooth.

How long do ya hold it for? I tried it there with my m8 on the main home page and nothing happened

How long do ya hold it for? I tried it there with my m8 on the main home page and nothing happened

Have the box on the home screen and hold the button down for 5 secs.

Have the box on the home screen and hold the button down for 5 secs.

Didn't work for me for some reason. Where do I go too manually clear it

As little as possible.
    Some of the manufacturers of the boxes have warned against it.

Some more about it here - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ram-boosters-task-killers-bad-android/
    BandMember wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, what is the average lifespan of these boxes? I've mine a year now, use it every day and it probably works better now than when I bought it thanks to all the firmware updates.... :D

I don't about all the boxes, but I think the majority of them use MLC, which would give them a life span between 1500 and 10,000 P/E cycles according to this article (I believe 8GB is averaged to be around 10TB of writing before it starts to deteriorate - but i stand to be corrected on that.)

http://searchsolidstatestorage.techtarget.com/definition/solid-state-storage-program-erase-cycle - Also applies to rambooster and cache cleaners.

But it depends on who you ask and how they phrase it.
    Often manufacturers will refer to eMMC as eMLC or vice versa.

eMMC stands for Embedded Multi-Media Card

They don't state the type of MMC that may be being used.
    Like USB Flash drives and SD cards, you can get faster and slower ones and better quality chips.

Some of the dedicated box manufacturers may use medium quality chips which would be better. - The branded ones in particular, like Pipo, Minix, Tronsmart, beelink etc..
    i.e. the ones trying to create and keep a global brand name i'd guess.

They may use eMLC and refer to it as eMMC, but I don't know that for sure.
    i.e. - They may use eMLC on their eMMC (But it usually Raw MLC).

Didn't work for me for some reason. Where do I go too manually clear it

Cache cleaner from google play. a previous poster posted a link to a ram booster telling you to use it as little as possible its not the same thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Cache cleaner from google play. a previous poster posted a link to a ram booster telling you to use it as little as possible its not the same thing at all.

cleaning the app cache is useless as well on kodi, it just recreates the files again straight away

use to think the same but found out more about it since

batistuta9 wrote: »
    cleaning the app cache is useless as well on kodi, it just recreates the files again straight away

use to think the same but found out more about it since

With kodi you're better off cleaning thumbnails and packages. Kodi is gone to balls TBH i only used it for genesis.

• Advertisement

With kodi you're better off cleaning thumbnails and packages. Kodi is gone to balls TBH i only used it for genesis.

yeah no harm clearing those the odd time, but not every day :pac:

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah no harm clearing those the odd time, but not every day :pac:

You see a problem with running a cache cleaner every day? You may be confused thats not waffle shocking or out of the ordinary actually most cache cleaners are set to 8 hour intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,421 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ja1986 wrote: »
    Hey guys I bought an android box in soundstore last year and installed kodi in it.I only installed what I found on YouTube and online. Just wondering does anyone know should I clear everything and start again,would there be a more updated version of kodi? A lot of my streams for the games are hit and miss mostly miss .

id recommend this thread for more info particularly newer posts:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057313961

You see a problem with running a cache cleaner every day? You may be confused thats not waffle shocking or out of the ordinary actually most cache cleaners are set to 8 hour intervals.

i meant clearing the thumbnail cache/packages folder every day.

but yeah, you know what a cache is/for? i'm not being smart here

set by who? the developers who want you to use their app.

Caches are there purposefully to speed up any operations of apps (for example) on the device that they're stored in.
    Android does a much better job of cleaning itself than they will and the caches will have to be rebuilt anyway, for you to clean again.
    All you're effectively doing is rewriting on to the nand storage and slowly deteriorating the device.

Said better than I can
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/498065-cache-partition-wipe-does-really-help-2.html#post4642716

If you do use it, it's best when the reason is because there is a problem with an app or the device has started coming to a grinding halt.
    Also having a "one click booster/cleaner" means that it is running in the background constantly too.

If you feel you need to clean the cache of a particular app that's acting up, go to settings -> apps -> that app -> Clean cache
    If you want, force stop before you clean.

To clear the cache partition, you can boot into recovery menu and choose "Wipe Cache Partition" and reboot normally.

Definitely do not do it every day. Preferably as little as possible.

If you feel the apps that you run every day are causing the device to slow down, then make sure your next device has more RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Allyall wrote: »
    As little as possible.
    Some of the manufacturers of the boxes have warned against it.

Some more about it here - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ram-boosters-task-killers-bad-android/

Oh oh. I have a Minix and hit the Task Killer when I turn it on before I open anything (only use it for Kodi to be honest) but I think I should probably stop doing that? I also go into the Xunity Maintenace Tool/normal Maintenance Tool and Purge the Packages and clear the cache before I turn it off each night. Again, am I doing the wrong thing?? :confused:

I don't about all the boxes, but I think the majority of them use MLC, which would give them a life span between 1500 and 10,000 P/E cycles according to this article (I believe 8GB is averaged to be around 10TB of writing before it starts to deteriorate - but i stand to be corrected on that.)

http://searchsolidstatestorage.techtarget.com/definition/solid-state-storage-program-erase-cycle - Also applies to rambooster and cache cleaners.

But it depends on who you ask and how they phrase it.
    Often manufacturers will refer to eMMC as eMLC or vice versa.

eMMC stands for Embedded Multi-Media Card

They don't state the type of MMC that may be being used.
    Like USB Flash drives and SD cards, you can get faster and slower ones and better quality chips.

Some of the dedicated box manufacturers may use medium quality chips which would be better. - The branded ones in particular, like Pipo, Minix, Tronsmart, beelink etc..
    i.e. the ones trying to create and keep a global brand name i'd guess
    They may use eMLC and refer to it as eMMC, but I don't know that for sure.
    i.e. - They may use eMLC on their eMMC (But it usually Raw MLC).

Ok, I'm sorry but I didn't understand a word of that. :o In plain English, if I have a Minix, use it for Kodi for a few hours every day and look after it, roughly how long would the average lifespan be? A year? 2 years? More? Less? I'm not going to holding you to your answer or anything, just curious.... :p

BandMember wrote: »
    Ok, I'm sorry but I didn't understand a word of that. :o In plain English, if I have a Minix, use it for Kodi for a few hours every day and look after it, roughly how long would the average lifespan be? A year? 2 years? More? Less? I'm not going to holding you to your answer or anything, just curious.... :p

If you use it for a few hours every day, it should last for quite a few years.. :)

But you should probably stop kiling tasks when you boot it up, or in general.
    Does your box have an OpenELEC build?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Is it possible to install Kodi directly to a Samsung smart tv does anyone know?

Bought in 2013 if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,421 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is it possible to install Kodi directly to a Samsung smart tv does anyone know?

Bought in 2013 if it makes any difference.

probably not. ours was bought round then as well and wont take kodi. as far as im aware the tv needs to be running android but i may stand corrected on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    probably not. ours was buy round then as well and wont take kodi. as far as im aware the tv needs to be running android but i may stand corrected on that.

That's what I thought.

Not even sure what operating system this is. :confused:

Advertisement