Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,425 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That's what I thought.

Not even sure what operating system this is. :confused:

ah its more than likely same as ours, closed source samsung os. unless you're handy at cracking os's, android box or whatever is the only way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah its more than likely same as ours, closed source samsung os. unless you're handy at cracking os's, android box or whatever is the only way

Already have two boxes, but I've a little 19" smart tv in the bedroom, I may look in to a raspberry pi for this.

Already have two boxes, but I've a little 19" smart tv in the bedroom, I may look in to a raspberry pi for this.

whats the story with these raspberry pi's? they sound tasty and i like pie! im also incredibly lazy to google right now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    whats the story with these raspberry pi's? they sound tasty and i like pie! im also incredibly lazy to google right now

Pi Hut.com was mentioned by dahat earlier, don't know anything about them, but interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

They come up every now and then with case + LCD etc. included for ~ €40 which is great.
    The Banana Pi has some pretty good deals too every now and then.

And of course there is the Pi Zero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSzWsNvzfuQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Allyall wrote: »
    If you use it for a few hours every day, it should last for quite a few years.. :)

But you should probably stop kiling tasks when you boot it up, or in general.
    Does your box have an OpenELEC build?

Excellent! I look forward to getting a few more years out of it so! :D

I will take your advice about the Task Killer and will stop using it from now on. Should I also stop deleting the cache and packages via the maintenance tool?

No, it doesn't have OpenELEC. I've heard of it but have never used it. What would be the benefit of it or what does it do? Is it easy to set up or how would I do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Invincible wrote: »
    Pi Hut.com was mentioned by dahat earlier, don't know anything about them, but interested!

Have a kit in transit now, £48 all in, should be here by Thursday hopefully.

dahat wrote: »
    Have a kit in transit now, £48 all in, should be here by Thursday hopefully.

What's in kit, Pi 2,case,power supply?
    Does it need a fan?
    Is it remote ready?

What's in kit, Pi 2,case,power supply?
    Does it need a fan?
    Is it remote ready?

Pi2, power supply, Sd card load with NOOB img, hdmi and ethernet cable. Assume it's remote ready as I have plenty of USB remotes I can use.

dahat wrote: »
    Pi2, power supply, Sd card load with NOOB img, hdmi and ethernet cable. Assume it's remote ready as I have plenty of USB remotes I can use.

What do you think of this kit?

• Advertisement

Looks a good price with the WiFi adaptor in it as well. Love the clear case.

Not a bad offer here, it gets lower, as they use US$ as main currency, so it might drop below €40
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Original-3-5-LCD-Touch-Screen-Display-Clear-Case-Raspberry-Pi-2-Model-B/32442982047.html

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

Noticed a Ras Pi in window of Area 51 computers in Roscommon town today for 59 euro, but couldn't tell whats included in it or if it's a good price for Ireland.

wozza wrote: »
    Noticed a Ras Pi in window of Area 51 computers in Roscommon town today for 59 euro, but couldn't tell whats included in it or if it's a good price for Ireland.

Might be worth a phone call, see if it's Pi 2 and if there's any accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

Might be worth a phone call, see if it's Pi 2 and if there's any accessories.

they got a website but I cant post links for some reason

wozza wrote: »
    they got a website but I cant post links for some reason

you have to have at least 50 posts to be able to post links.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Have many here setup the Fire Stick with Kodi? Does it run well? Thinking of ordering from Currys for Xmas.
    Also, does it play through an Xbox One? Short on HDMI ports on the TV!

Thanks in advance!

Did you order one from currys. I just got this reply from currys.

"Thank you for your recent order with Currys PC World. Unfortunately, it has come to our attention the Kindle Fire Stick you have ordered is not compatible with the Irish market and will only work in Northern Ireland and the UK. We have no choice but to cancel your order"

logistic wrote: »

"Thank you for your recent order with Currys PC World. Unfortunately, it has come to our attention the Kindle Fire Stick you have ordered is not compatible with the Irish market and will only work in Northern Ireland and the UK. We have no choice but to cancel your order"

It's €29 on Amazon Germany but they don't ship here either.
    These will ship it for €6.66
    http://www.mailboxde.com/ireland.html
    I think there is a yearly fee of €10 though.

As do these but different charges - https://www.clevvermail.com/pricing/munich.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks I just collected my Amazon Fire TV last night and I'll set it up tonight and add Kodi.

Would anyone recommend anything else to do at this early stage or any must have apps to put on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Folks I just collected my Amazon Fire TV last night and I'll set it up tonight and add Kodi.

Would anyone recommend anything else to do at this early stage or any must have apps to put on it ?

Firestarter is all you need .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

emmetkenny wrote: »

Where did you pickup the fire TV from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Tried ordering a few times over the past week and it would never take any of the cards I used and then yesterday it was gone from site

Where did you pickup the fire TV from?

Amazon shipped to Parcel Motel. It worked out at €90 while it was on sale last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Looking to get one of these boxes or a mini windows one.

Basically will want to use it for kodi, Netflix in HD, attaching hard drive to play media and possibly as a torrent client the odd time. Anyone got any recommendations?

Was close to getting MINIX Neo Plus S812 but found out most boxes don't do Netflix in HD.

Emmet, does your new AFTV play files from an attached hard drive?
    I know it seems to be one of the few Android that does Netflix HD.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Looking to get one of these boxes or a mini windows one.

Basically will want to use it for kodi, Netflix in HD, attaching hard drive to play media and possibly as a torrent client the odd time. Anyone got any recommendations?

Was close to getting MINIX Neo Plus S812 but found out most boxes don't do Netflix in HD.

Emmet, does your new AFTV play files from an attached hard drive?
    I know it seems to be one of the few Android that does Netflix HD.

I haven't set it up yet but it does work with Plex.

Plex is no good to me as I don't have an always on computer/server.
    I think I read AFTV only works with FAT32 format so that would suggest it can be done but not sure if its flash drives only or a proper hard drive which is what I have.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Plex is no good to me as I don't have an always on computer/server.
    I think I read AFTV only works with FAT32 format so that would suggest it can be done but not sure if its flash drives only or a proper hard drive which is what I have.

Yes I read that about the FAT32 in another thread on here. I don't have much media stored like that so I'll be mainly use the AFTV for Kodi and might sign up to Prime to watch the new series of top gear using a DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

anyone else only able to view videos in 360p on the youtube app, any workarounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Just to confirm , the AFTV is definitely FAT32 only for an attached USB HD .

• Advertisement

jonski wrote: »
    Just to confirm , the AFTV is definitely FAT32 only for an attached USB HD .
    I've a 1TB drive in FAT32 and I wouldn't be bothered changing it at this stage. Does it power a full external hard drive ok?

Advertisement