Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Dcully wrote: »
    Your bb is down ? for excessive usage? wtf who are you with man?

I hope you mean the black box and not your broadband.

I do , my broadband is just fine . I am trying not to actually mention that other site by name as I don't think we are supposed to ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

What's the current best box to use? I'm new to the android box and kodi stuff but am well used to all techie stuff with android phones and tablets.

I will want to use Kodi which is the new name for XMBC isn't it? Then other apps like Netflix etc.

What is plex and its uses tho? Is there any other uses of things to get or do I should know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I've an mx8 over a year and it's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Mourinho wrote: »
    What's the current best box to use? I'm new to the android box and kodi stuff but am well used to all techie stuff with android phones and tablets.

I will want to use Kodi which is the new name for XMBC isn't it? Then other apps like Netflix etc.

What is plex and its uses tho? Is there any other uses of things to get or do I should know?

like this man says, im new to idea of android box (except i havent a clue ), looking for something that can stream channels for free and as clear as possible! :D:D

wheres good place to buy em also?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

LillySV wrote: »
    like this man says, im new to idea of android box (except i havent a clue ), looking for something that can stream channels for free and as clear as possible! :D:D

wheres good place to buy em also?

I got mine on adverts, a MINIX, fully loaded for 150. Well worth it. Its the best box IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

thanks, ill keep eye out for it

LillySV wrote: »
    thanks, ill keep eye out for it

No problem. Ive messaged you the exact add I bought from.

Ok so it seems to be the MINIX or MX8?

Is it possible to add a HDD to record off it if using say the freeview channels or if you were watching a player and wanted to record?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Ok so it seems to be the MINIX or MX8?

Is it possible to add a HDD to record off it if using say the freeview channels or if you were watching a player and wanted to record?

Buy a cheap box load it up your self. Then get a free to air box as well.

People have unrealistic expectations when it comes to kodi. Kodi on its own can't replace a sky or UPC subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

So I have an M8S box for the past few months and it's a great box but very slow and glitchy so I'm looking to upgrade it and have been looking around..

Have been looking at either the Nvidia Shield or anyone ever used this??

http://jarvisbox.com

The M8S just feels like an old computer that's slow and crashes but the JarvisBox seems you ace none of those problems..

Now all I use the M8S box for it Kodi for films, tv shows etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

oo7tk wrote: »
    So I have an M8S box for the past few months and it's a great box but very slow and glitchy so I'm looking to upgrade it and have been looking around..

Have been looking at either the Nvidia Shield or anyone ever used this??

http://jarvisbox.com

The M8S just feels like an old computer that's slow and crashes but the JarvisBox seems you ace none of those problems..

Now all I use the M8S box for it Kodi for films, tv shows etc...

I bought an Amazon Fire TV. Been flawless so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

I've a similar question.. I have an mx8 box and am wondering what benefit I would gain by purchasing the Arnu Mach 10 for just shy of €200? Any extra channels/features or is it just a more stable platform running on Linux?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I bought an Amazon Fire TV. Been flawless so far.

You know I never even thought of one of those to be honest but yea thanks I'll look into it... I just feel like the M8S is very slow...

ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

oo7tk wrote: »
    You know I never even thought of one of those to be honest but yea thanks I'll look into it... I just feel like the M8S is very slow...

ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

It's reduced from £80 to £65 at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    I got mine on adverts, a MINIX, fully loaded for 150. Well worth it. Its the best box IMO.

Can be got for €135.44 on Amazon, newest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

ronanc1000 wrote: »

Can be got for €135.44 off Amazon, newest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I have the Mach 8 from jarvisbox and cant fault it i use it for watching football and movies.
    There is also a group on facebook for owners of their boxs which is excelent for support and problem solving if you do have any glitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Invincible wrote: »

Thats a very good price for this box.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

Hi hope ye don't mind me coming at this from different direction. I am thinking of getting an android box but want to check if my broadband is sufficient to run it. I down loaded Kodi onto my desk top but when I click on the Sky Sport stations, an error comes up. Is this because my internet isnt strong enough and will it mean getting an android box would be waste of money. will appreciate any help.

Thanking You

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi hope ye don't mind me coming at this from different direction. I am thinking of getting an android box but want to check if my broadband is sufficient to run it. I down loaded Kodi onto my desk top but when I click on the Sky Sport stations, an error comes up. Is this because my internet isnt strong enough and will it mean getting an android box would be waste of money. will appreciate any help.

Thanking You

Link could be broken or stream down. Try a few other things and see do they play.

What BB do you have ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,424 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    People have unrealistic expectations when it comes to kodi. Kodi on its own can't replace a sky or UPC subscription.

i have to agree with this to a degree!

Thanking You

we probably cant directly help you here but id recommend some more research regarding your issue. some good youtube videos out there. keep messing around with kodi on your current setup to see if an android box is for you.

check your broadband speed here and report back your speed:

speedtest.net

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i have to agree with this to a degree!

we probably cant directly help you here but id recommend some more research regarding your issue. some good youtube videos out there. keep messing around with kodi on your current setup to see if an android box is for you.

check your broadband speed here and report back your speed:

speedtest.net

PING 168 ms Download speed 3.54mbps Upload speed .03mbps I did it few times and it varies a lot from test to test. I am with Celtic broadband and strength is stronger in morning

PING 168 ms Download speed 3.54mbps Upload speed .03mbps I did it few times and it varies a lot from test to test. I am with Celtic broadband and strength is stronger in morning

hmm thats not great to be honest for streaming. you ll probably have issues with any streaming technology. i wouldnt be too keen on buying an android box just yet. keep messing around with kodi on your current setup but i think your broadband will probably let you down for streaming in general. do you use something like netflix?

Doubt you'd be able to steam HQ with those speeds, especially without major buffering.

No harm in sticking with the PC for a while though. I'd been running Kodi on my Mac for about 6 months before I finally bought a box.

hmm thats not great to be honest for streaming. you ll probably have issues with any streaming technology. i wouldnt be too keen on buying an android box just yet. keep messing around with kodi on your current setup but i think your broadband will probably let you down for streaming in general. do you use something like netflix?

I'm curious myself I get 2MB peak and 4MB off peak but I can stream SD quality Netflix via Apple TV 4 no problem would it be different with an android box?

O I know well the strength is bad, but because of where I live that's as good as it gets. I am only a novice with computers so if things don't work first time then I an in trouble. I taught I could get movies true Sky movies so didn't need Netflix, plus there is no point subscribing to it , if my broadband wasn't strong enough to run it. What speed would I need to run dream box

I'm curious myself I get 2MB peak and 4MB off peak but I can stream SD quality Netflix via Apple TV 4 no problem would it be different with an android box?

im glad to hear you can stream something on your setup as im also interested in what are the limitations for streaming, i.e. broadband speeds etc. i actually have little or no experience with these boxes so i cant be sure on the answer to your question but id assume your apple box would be similar to an android box.
    O I know well the strength is bad, but because of where I live that's as good as it gets. I am only a novice with computers so if things don't work first time then I an in trouble. I taught I could get movies true Sky movies so didn't need Netflix, plus there is no point subscribing to it , if my broadband wasn't strong enough to run it. What speed would I need to run dream box

unfortunately its probably best we dont go further into your issues for fear of the thread going off topic and going into topics that are forbidden to be talked about on this forum. i would recommend youtubing some stuff on kodi though. tons of stuff on it about the subject matter. might get you started and then you can see if its worth your while purchasing an android box. a dream box etc should work fine on your setup;)

im glad to hear you can stream something on your setup as im also interested in what are the limitations for streaming, i.e. broadband speeds etc. i actually have little or no experience with these boxes so i cant be sure on the answer to your question but id assume your apple box would be similar to an android box.

unfortunately its probably best we dont go further into your issues for fear of the thread going off topic and going into topics that are forbidden to be talked about on this forum. i would recommend youtubing some stuff on kodi though. tons of stuff on it about the subject matter. might get you started and then you can see if its worth your while purchasing an android box. a dream box etc should work fine on your setup;)

thanks for the advice. one thing , is android box and dream box same thing

thanks for the advice. one thing , is android box and dream box same thing

no worries. no not necessary. dreamboxes have been around for a long time now but other manufacturers have come into the market since, and are probably producing far better products. dreamboxes or boxes like so can be used on satellite and cable setups. lads are using them for all sorts of shenanigans;) unfortunately it cant be talked about on his forum. as before, youtube is a good place to start

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »

Yeah that's without any work done to it. This has everything pre loaded, I don't have to do much to it other than plug and play.

Advertisement