Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Yeah that's without any work done to it. This has everything pre loaded, I don't have to do much to it other than plug and play.

You're better off putting your own add one on it, as then when some of them go down, you'll know how to update them or install new add one.
    Those sellers that advertise fully loaded box's are basically rip off merchants, its all available on YouTube or if you want the lazy way, plenty of pre configured builds to download for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Invincible wrote: »
    You're better off putting your own add one on it, as then when some of them go down, you'll know how to update them or install new add one.
    Those sellers that advertise fully loaded box's are basically rip off merchants, its all available on YouTube or if you want the lazy way, plenty of pre configured builds to download for free.

I know that but the seller had over 100+ positive feedback and no negative. Extremely helpful with kodi etc. Fully loaded kodi was the best for me as I was still learning on it but also extra android apps too are even better are excellent. I got a keyboard mouse too. Not a rip off if its only 15 quid extra. It was pretty much free for all that pre loaded stuff, the box is usually the 150 mark anyway.lol
    There's also many people who dont want the fuss and a few sellers offer that same thing and save the hassle for very little more tbh. No rip off from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    PING 168 ms Download speed 3.54mbps Upload speed .03mbps I did it few times and it varies a lot from test to test. I am with Celtic broadband and strength is stronger in morning
    Try pingtest.net and see what quality connection you have. It'll give you a better idea if you can run things like streaming or voip successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

Lads

I done a speed test just before xmas and I had a ping of 94 ms, down of 2.64 & up of 0.79 this was about half of what I was getting in early December and is not much different today.

However I am able to watch all streams in Med Quality from shows, Movies etc, I can watch live sport streams on 2 kodi set up's at same time. I have a minix U1 box in bedroom in mobile home (which is 15 metres away from wifi dongle) and an Android TV about 3 metres away in lounge of house

If you really must have High def/quality streams via Kodi then don't buy an Android box if your signal strength is below about 7Mbps upload speed, but if like me you ditch exorbitant subscriber costs and are happy to watch buffer free TV in 480 or 576 p then go for it

I initially went for med quality after I was told everyone wants HQ so those streams have to be shared round more folks and are more likely to be running hot than the MQ streams

It all still very very watchable

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Hi I'm also thinking of getting an android box, I'm not that knowledgeable on this technology.
    I've been reading through this thread, lots of useful info yet I'm still wondering whats best box/option to go with?
    I saw this mentioned earlier in the thread (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X3TA5KU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00)
    or are there better options to go with now? MINIX?

Also might be a stupid question but would the fact that I have an iphone 4s, an older ipad but a windows laptop make much of a difference in choice of box?
    any help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Has anyone ordered off the site below or have any issues with them?

Seems a good price (€52.68 + 11-18 for shipping) for a Tronsmart MXIII Plus 4K Amlogic S812 2GB 8GB 1000 LAN OTG OTA Android TV Box

http://www.iandroidtvbox.com/tronsmart-mxiii-plus-4k-2gb-tv-box.html

So many options out there I', struggling to choose! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

Are many of ye using The Beast on KODI? Can somebody please explain to me why everyone is paying the guy money for MAC 1 numbers? What are they and what advantage do they give you over just using the normal add ons?

Also does Genisis ever ever stream ANY film?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Damokc wrote: »
    Are many of ye using The Beast on KODI? Can somebody please explain to me why everyone is paying the guy money for MAC 1 numbers? What are they and what advantage do they give you over just using the normal add ons?

Also does Genisis ever ever stream ANY film?

Not something that can be discussed here .

Has anyone ordered off the site below or have any issues with them?

Seems a good price (€52.68 + 11-18 for shipping) for a Tronsmart MXIII Plus 4K Amlogic S812 2GB 8GB 1000 LAN OTG OTA Android TV Box

http://www.iandroidtvbox.com/tronsmart-mxiii-plus-4k-2gb-tv-box.html

So many options out there I', struggling to choose! :D

Never heard of them, maybe another Chinese site?
    You'll get the same box from Geekbuying or aliexpress probably, allow for possibility of package being intercepted by parasites (cu$toms).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

You'll get the same box from Geekbuying or aliexpress probably, allow for possibility of package being intercepted by parasites (cu$toms).

Yeah found it on Aliexpress as well here so might go with them.

Is it just pot luck with regards customs picking them? Will going with DHL make any difference?

• Advertisement

Yeah found it on Aliexpress as well here so might go with them.

Is it just pot luck with regards customs picking them? Will going with DHL make any difference?

Pm'd you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Going with DHL will pretty much guarantee that you pay customs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

jonski wrote: »
    Not something that can be discussed here .

Ya? That's gas. So people are using these to watch stuff they could just use their TV to watch....

Sorry to mention them anyway.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I ordered one of these from Geekbuying on 18/12 it arrived on Saturday.

GBX wrote: »
    I ordered one of these from Geekbuying on 18/12 it arrived on Saturday.

Got the previous model MXIII 2GB S802 from them last Spring/Summer, runs great, Wi-Fi way ahead of M8S performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Got the previous model MXIII 2GB S802 from them last Spring/Summer, runs great, Wi-Fi way ahead of M8S performance.

Got a link for an Amazon seller, Uk based? Mate wants a box with good wifi and qhick delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DamoMc

Has anyone used the MINIX Neo U1 seems to be newer than the MINIX Neo X8-H Plus?

dahat wrote: »
    Got a link for an Amazon seller, Uk based? Mate wants a box with good wifi and qhick delivery.

No, Geekbuying, was 15 days until delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

DamoMc wrote: »
    Has anyone used the MINIX Neo U1 seems to be newer than the MINIX Neo X8-H Plus?

Yes mate I got one before Xmas and still playing with it, and it is an excellent powerful box running Android 5.1,

From what i read/know spec is little better if you need 4k, 10 bit colour etc but check out minix forum for support and a spec difference's

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-u1.137/

and youtube has a couple of reviews so far best is by Robert Jorge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGVFdUWnSuc

• Registered Users Posts: 1 martinincork

Hi I really have not got much of a clue about tv boxes but im trying to get alternative to having to pay SKY to get sky sports and movies, i have wifi from celtic broadband speed 5.5 download and 2.4 upload with ping at 29 ms im not sure what all that means but im wondering how to get the the channels with my wifi on my tv, which is NOT a smart tv. any idea what to buy and probablitiy of it giving good performance? thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 DamoMc

wozza wrote: »
    Yes mate I got one before Xmas and still playing with it, and it is an excellent powerful box running Android 5.1,

Thanks for the info, I have just ordered one from Amazon reviews seem to be good very good for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

http://mega-tron.tv/

megatron-logo-e1423246145823.png

Just did a firmware update using mega-tron v1, i recommend.

1.Download the required firmware for your model using a PC.

2.Copy and past all 3 files to an empty sd card or usb stick.

3.Plug device into box to initialize then unplug your box.

4.Stick a tooth pick or match stick into AV hole you will feel a reset button inside as you hold the button down plug your box back in and hold until the android man appears.

Only recommended for units experiencing issues as this procedure could brick your box.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hi I really have not got much of a clue about tv boxes but im trying to get alternative to having to pay SKY to get sky sports and movies, i have wifi from celtic broadband speed 5.5 download and 2.4 upload with ping at 29 ms im not sure what all that means but im wondering how to get the the channels with my wifi on my tv, which is NOT a smart tv. any idea what to buy and probablitiy of it giving good performance? thanks in advance

i think your broadband is really gonna let you down with options. i dont think id like to try an android box on that kind of setup, but others here have got them to work on similar broadband packages. id recommend to download kodi(main program used on android boxes) onto whatever device(s) you currently have, and start messing around with it to see if it works on your setup and to see if you actually like it. plenty of tutorials on youtube. id have to agree with others on this thread, im not convinced yet that this technology is actually capable of replacing offical services such as sky etc, but are a great addition to them, but in saying that, i have not fully utilized all the services available on these boxes to support that statement. i think you might be better off looking at 'alternative' services available to you. unfortunately i cant go further into that on this forum.

Framed10 wrote: »
    ....might be a stupid question but would the fact that I have an iphone 4s, an older ipad but a windows laptop make much of a difference in choice of box?
    any help appreciated.

Can I just clarify whats the difference in purchasing an android box (v a windows one, which I believe you can get also)

What I'm thinking of is there compatibility issues with IOS devices?

If someone could give a bit of help I'd appreciate it asI want to get a Box as soon as possible
    thanks

Can I just clarify whats the difference in purchasing an android box (v a windows one, which I believe you can get also)

What I'm thinking of is there compatibility issues with IOS devices?

If someone could give a bit of help I'd appreciate it asI want to get a Box as soon as possible
    thanks

im a bit confused with what your asking. im assuming you have a general broadband connection in your home? if so, an android box should just work fine along with all your other devices no matter what os theyre running.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im a bit confused with what your asking. im assuming you have a general broadband connection in your home? if so, an android box should just work fine along with all your other devices no matter what os theyre running.

Ok Thanks for that. Maybe I'm just confused as to why theres an android option and a windows option?
    yes I have vodafone broadband fibre and a smart TV

Ok Thanks for that. Maybe I'm just confused as to why theres an android option and a windows option?
    yes I have vodafone broadband fibre and a smart TV

i have limited knowledge on these devices but according to some here, kodi(main program used on these boxes), runs best on a windows platform. i think these boxes are a good addition to existing tv subscriptions but are not yet good enough as a replacement of those subscription services. i guess thats debatable. as i said before, download kodi onto whatever device(s) you currently have before purchasing. an android box should work perfect on your current setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Pocoyo wrote: »
    http://mega-tron.tv/

megatron-logo-e1423246145823.png

Just did a firmware update using mega-tron v1, i recommend.

1.Download the required firmware for your model using a PC.

2.Copy and past all 3 files to an empty sd card or usb stick.

3.Plug device into box to initialize then unplug your box.

4.Stick a tooth pick or match stick into AV hole you will feel a reset button inside as you hold the button down plug your box back in and hold until the android man appears.

Only recommended for units experiencing issues as this procedure could brick your box.

What is this pocoyo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

i have wifi from celtic broadband speed 5.5 download and 2.4 upload with ping at 29

You need at least 2.5MB for SD and at least 5MB for HD so I don't think that an android box would be your best option with those speeds. Also, satellite broadband is extremely unreliable and not suited to live streaming.
    I have vodafone broadband fibre and a smart TV

What kind of Smart TV? You should check it out because some of the newer models are android and you can install Kodi directly on them so you don't need an android box. You should also be able to install Plex but that can't really be discussed further here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

What is this pocoyo?

It seems to be just an Kodi/OpenELEC build with RetroArch installed.

Advertisement