Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

BandMember wrote: »
    What kind of Smart TV? You should check it out because some of the newer models are android and you can install Kodi directly on them so you don't need an android box. You should also be able to install Plex but that can't really be discussed further here.

I have a 2 year old Samsung (need to check the model)
    I want to cancel my TV subscription as I have the Old UPC system, cant even get horizon digital in my area.

I was going to get a box for mainly netflix, sports/matches, movies.
    You think I don't need to get an android box so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Framed10 wrote: »
    I have a 2 year old Samsung (need to check the model)
    I want to cancel my TV subscription as I have the Old UPC system, cant even get horizon digital in my area.

I was going to get a box for mainly netflix, sports/matches, movies.
    You think I don't need to get an android box so?

Nope. That's not what I said at all. I said some of the newer models are android and if you have one of those, you should be able to install Kodi directly on to it as it's available from the Google Playstore. You will need to research that yourself. Also, as has been said multiple times on this thread, we cannot discuss the services you are looking for (apart from Netflix) so I would suggest that you look up Google and YouTube for further information on those. Sorry I can't help you any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

What kind of Smart TV? You should check it out because some of the newer models are android and you can install Kodi directly on them so you don't need an android box. You should also be able to install Plex but that can't really be discussed further here.

Don't see why discussing plex would be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

wozza wrote: »
    Yes mate I got one before Xmas and still playing with it, and it is an excellent powerful box running Android 5.1,

From what i read/know spec is little better if you need 4k, 10 bit colour etc but check out minix forum for support and a spec difference's

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-u1.137/

and youtube has a couple of reviews so far best is by Robert Jorge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGVFdUWnSuc

how about to compare with ZIDOO X6 PRO, both are android 5.1 4K 60fps tvbox, ZIDOO X6 PRO has better price. Robert Jorge also reviews it on his channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-v2Rf4QmQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

wozza wrote: »
    Yes mate I got one before Xmas and still playing with it, and it is an excellent powerful box running Android 5.1,

From what i read/know spec is little better if you need 4k, 10 bit colour etc but check out minix forum for support and a spec difference's

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-u1.137/

and youtube has a couple of reviews so far best is by Robert Jorge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGVFdUWnSuc

Ok this looks like the box that I want to get and looked at the review and seems to do what I want. Only use Kodi on PC so take it that its easy to updates and also put on any add on's manually

Is Amazon the only seller for 'trustworthy' seller for these as also looking to get plug wifi powerline on Amazon also
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Powerline-Starter-Repeater-Extender/dp/B00C5IA4TW

Any tips etc let me know cheers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

What is this pocoyo?

Its a superior firmware update to the stock firmware
    Its slightly faster,Looks better and has added features.
    Its also tricks google play into making all apps available to your box.
    Basically it reverts your boxes firmware and software back to a new state by wiping and installing new ROM commands erasing all bugs & glitches.

All great features but its not worth risking flashing your box unless its on its last legs as it completely wipes all data off the box if anything goes wrong during the installation the box will be bricked.

My box was overheating.

Was having HD handshake problems.

Youtube was displaying a black screen.

When ever i was setting display position it reverted back to 100%

I tried wiping factory data etc but the issues would return but this firmware update did the trick kind of wish it hadnt has i would of had an excuse to buy a new box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Its a superior firmware update to the stock firmware
    Its slightly faster,Looks better and has added features.
    Its also tricks google play into making all apps available to your box.
    Basically it reverts your boxes firmware and software back to a new state by wiping and installing new ROM commands erasing all bugs & glitches.

All great features but its not work risking flashing your box unless its on its last legs as it completely wipes all data off the box if anything goes wrong during the installation the box will be bricked.

Have an MXQ box with a few minor issues, might give it a blast of this and cross my fingers that I don't brick it.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Have an MXQ box with a few minor issues, might give it a blast of this and cross my fingers that I don't brick it.

If the issues are severe enough i recommend just remember to choose the firmware for your box MXQ or MXQ(Clone) remember to transfer the 3 downloaded files to the sd card in the order they appear and dont save all 3 to the same folder on the sd card.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

If you've an MXq, why not just install OpenELEC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Which variant MXQ is it for? I've one here with the button ontop/red stripe in the corner, I think its beelink made, I've ran openelec on it but it just doesn't seem to play ball well so flashed back to android and its fine although full of bloat so wouldn't mind trying something a little scaled back on it

• Advertisement

5500 wrote: »
    Which variant MXQ is it for? I've one here with the button ontop/red stripe in the corner, I think its beelink made, I've ran openelec on it but it just doesn't seem to play ball well so flashed back to android and its fine although full of bloat so wouldn't mind trying something a little scaled back on it

You can dual boot OpenELEC with a MicroSD - That version works perfect for me.

Regarding the other thing, it looks like it's only HD18Q version MXq box.

Allyall wrote: »
    If you've an MXq, why not just install OpenELEC?

Why would he do that? With the level of kodi addons failing and being pulled it seems silly to limit your box to one application.

Why would he do that? With the level of kodi addons failing and being pulled it seems silly to limit your box to one application.

OpenELEC has way more addons than Android and is way more stable.
    Also pretty much any addon from Android works in Kodi with few exceptions.

FWIW, Android apps are being pulled and failing all the time too.

Allyall wrote: »
    OpenELEC has way more addons than Android and is way more stable.
    Also pretty much any addon from Android works in Kodi with few exceptions.

FWIW, Android apps are being pulled and failing all the time too.

Many kodi addons arnt stable and the ones i can think of that are slower to use even the god king and flagship addon of kodi is in peril,90% of my android box usage involves apps from outside of kodi,Only one of my five apps have failed in the last two years and its came back....wish i could name them but as we know boards do not permit it.

The youtube addon in kodi is also dire.

Dont get me wrong i love kodi but android boxes offer so much more than one application.

Many kodi addons arnt stable and the ones i can think of that are slower to use even the god king and flagship addon of kodi is in peril,90% of my android box usage involves apps from outside of kodi,Only one of my five apps have failed in the last two years and its came back....wish i could name them but as we know boards do not permit it.

The youtube addon in kodi is also dire.

Dont get me wrong i love kodi but android boxes offer so much more than one application.

:)
    I know which one you mean, and while it is good, it wouldn't be my first choice. It's an aggregator. Counting in my head, there are 5 others that do the same thing.
    - Most well known, probably.
    - King/Flagship, I wouldn't think so (Those titles would definitely belong to another older addon, if any).
    But it is good.

Kodi is not entirely the same as OpenELEC. But that aside, when it comes to Kodi/OpenELEC vs Android and you're mainly referring to media content, Kodi/OpenELEC wins hands down every time for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Hi guys

Sorry in advance for asking the question that has probably been asked several times, but I could not find the answer quickly reading through the posts.

What would you guys recommend tronsmart mxiii, mxq or other boxes similiar to these. (It will be my first box)

I will be using the box for steaming media (possibly through WiFi) rather than hooking the tablet up to the TV as I currently do and use kodi on the tablet and laptop. Want a box as a pernament fixture.

Also recommendations on where to purchase, Amazon, deal extreme, wish shopping etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

just couple exaples and threads open already
    top 1 for android boxes
    and second is wetek plag which also has satellite or terestial tuners
    there a group buy running for the wetek

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057541175&page=9
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057523594&page=86

might give u some ideas anyway
    The_Shotz wrote: »
    Hi guys

Sorry in advance for asking the question that has probably been asked several times, but I could not find the answer quickly reading through the posts.

What would you guys recommend tronsmart mxiii, mxq or other boxes similiar to these. (It will be my first box)

I will be using the box for steaming media (possibly through WiFi) rather than hooking the tablet up to the TV as I currently do and use kodi on the tablet and laptop. Want a box as a pernament fixture.

Also recommendations on where to purchase, Amazon, deal extreme, wish shopping etc?

Ordered a MINIX Neo U1 waiting for delivery. Registered on the Minix forum

I don't have a Smart TV but trying to find out if boxes support Skype as family away and currently using Laptop.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ordered a MINIX Neo U1 waiting for delivery. Registered on the Minix forum

I don't have a Smart TV but trying to find out if boxes support Skype as family away and currently using Laptop.

Thanks

They do,some even come with it pre-installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Seen a few MXV boxes for sale on Done Deal,anyone here tried one of these boxes out?

• Advertisement

Seen a few MXV boxes for sale on Done Deal,anyone here tried one of these boxes out?
    They're decent enough, but not worth more than €30.
    They can be bought for €24 if you look around.
    The OpenELEC for one of the MXq's partially works on it, but may have been fixed by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Lads is there anyway to stream from my phone using youtube/gallery etc to my pico?

Ie, use the box like I used to use Chromecast? I get that you can install youtube/ Netflix etc to the box itself, but my kids are use to "beaming" directly to the living room telly via the phone or tablet

Cheers

Lads is there anyway to stream from my phone using youtube/gallery etc to my pico?

Ie, use the box like I used to use Chromecast? I get that you can install youtube/ Netflix etc to the box itself, but my kids are use to "beaming" directly to the living room telly via the phone or tablet

Cheers

You can use Yatse for casting to Kodi. i.e. You can have Kodi open, and open youtube video on your phone or tablet and cast to kodi.

or

BubbleUPnP

or

Most of these

Ok just got a Minix Neo U1 and looking for the below

Camera with Mic for Skype – Was recommended the logitech c920(with mic) not the cheapest any others?
    Mouse – M25
    Keyboard - apple Bluetooth(previous generation with batteries)

Still trying to get use to the remote with keyboard on back and managed to get access to my google account and get some apps. Need to get use to the Launchers as using L Launcher on my phone but need to play around a bit more. Also had Kodi beta 16 installed so uninstalled that as it kept on crashing and now back on the stable version. Not sure about rooting it yet as want to get use to it before doing anything with it

If anyone can recommend any other camera, mouse or mic for reasonable price appreciate it

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

Have you looked at logitech c270 webcam about £15 from amazon, depends on HD,night vision u want

As for the air mouse, can only recomend Neo A2 by minix, have a cheap Rii wireless keyboard and it needs to be remapped to U1 character as keys all over the place

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minix-A2-Lite-Air-Mouse/dp/B00SVE5SIQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1452846992&sr=1-2&keywords=A2+mouse

Did you upgrade the Firmware on the U1 to FW004 as they now have stabilised Kodi 16 in latest update

Warren

Ok just got a Minix Neo U1 and looking for the below

Camera with Mic for Skype – Was recommended the logitech c920(with mic) not the cheapest any others?
    Mouse – M25
    Keyboard - apple Bluetooth(previous generation with batteries)

Still trying to get use to the remote with keyboard on back and managed to get access to my google account and get some apps. Need to get use to the Launchers as using L Launcher on my phone but need to play around a bit more. Also had Kodi beta 16 installed so uninstalled that as it kept on crashing and now back on the stable version. Not sure about rooting it yet as want to get use to it before doing anything with it

If anyone can recommend any other camera, mouse or mic for reasonable price appreciate it

Cheers

I'd avoid the A2 remote to be honest, I tried it before and found it to be a pain in the proverbial. I'd recommend this one, loads of people I know use it and all find it very user friendly - http://www.adverts.ie/tv/air-mouse-wireless-keyboard-remote/6349987

Ordered a Keyboard with touchpad on Amazon. Will have a look at some Logitech cameras also. I have the A2 remote but finding it a bit awkward

Also installed the Dolphin Browser and this kept on crashing? Not sure why as use this on Android Phone

Sticking with Kodi 15 as this one seems the most stable

Need to load up a few more apps and try another launcher. Also updated software

In a desperate attempt to revive this thread, what would people recommend as the most stable release of Kodi? Are there any benefits from upgrading from Gotham if it works fine? I sometimes have issues with 5.1 streams and am wondering if it is the actual stream or the version of Kodi that I use...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

In a desperate attempt to revive this thread, what would people recommend as the most stable release of Kodi? Are there any benefits from upgrading from Gotham if it works fine? I sometimes have issues with 5.1 streams and am wondering if it is the actual stream or the version of Kodi that I use...

i'm on isengard and have had no issues whatsoever. not sure there are massive reasons to change to every new version, but surely once a new version is out of beta and has then been upgraded to .1 or .2, it's worth switching?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Complete noob to this but what can an Android box give me that a phone with m**dro and a chromecast can't?

Advertisement