Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

so why not just use Kodi, most apps probably have equivalent add ons?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

so why not just use Kodi, most apps probably have equivalent add ons?

I uninstalled Kodi as it was out of date.
    I don't know where to source to relevant add-ons

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

PapaQuebec wrote: »

Seo-micheal is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

PapaQuebec wrote: »

if i were you, i'd reinstall kodi, google "best add ons for kodi 2016", and install the ones which closely match what you are looking for.

All your problems will be solved :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Are you using a soundbar or receiver on your system?
    Did you use the same HDMI cable/port for all three boxes?
    Does your TV have 'Home Theater' Mode, and if so, is it turned on?
    If you connect anything else using the same cable and ports, do they have the same issues? (DVD/Blu-Ray/Xbox/laptop etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Seo-micheal is a good start.

Or seo-Michael ( Micheál is not too hot with addons! ) :D

eamonnq wrote: »
    Or seo-Michael ( Micheál is not too hot with addons! ) :D

Dam my spelling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

Is it possible to install the Android TV apps versions on these cheap TV boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

PeteSco wrote: »
    Is it possible to install the Android TV apps versions on these cheap TV boxes?

Yeah,basically anything you can install on a tablet or phone can be put on these boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Hi there folks! I'm looking into getting an Android TV box as present and I'm not really that knowledgeable of the offerings currently available, so I would much appreciate any recommendations made in regard to the best box to go with. :)

Essentially I'll be working of a budget of around €120 to €150. With this I am looking for a good box that navigates smoothly (not majorly important but would be nice), doesn't matter whether it's loaded or not, and can cater towards doing all the things that these boxes are great for (i.e. movies, TV, music, the other thing, etc); all at a decent speed and without much hindrance aside from whatever restriction the internet connection leaves.

Also, recommend a great remote to go with it if you can, because AFAIK that's pretty important.

Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

zerks wrote: »
    Yeah,basically anything you can install on a tablet or phone can be put on these boxes.

alright, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Nailz wrote: »
    Hi there folks! I'm looking into getting an Android TV box as present and I'm not really that knowledgeable of the offerings currently available, so I would much appreciate any recommendations made in regard to the best box to go with. :)

Essentially I'll be working of a budget of around €120 to €150. With this I am looking for a good box that navigates smoothly (not majorly important but would be nice), doesn't matter whether it's loaded or not, and can cater towards doing all the things that these boxes are great for (i.e. movies, TV, music, the other thing, etc); all at a decent speed and without much hindrance aside from whatever restriction the internet connection leaves.

Also, recommend a great remote to go with it if you can, because AFAIK that's pretty important.

If you read the thread, you will find several excellent recommendations for both an android box and a remote control that fit your price range along with reasons why people have recommended them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Hi, if you're willing to spend that much I would suggest looking into a Windows mini-pc or NUC ie a Gigabyte brix.
    I used an android box for a while to learn Kodi but the Windows machine is so much better. I have more RAM and storage and the Kodi interface works much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

will56 wrote: »
    Hi, if you're willing to spend that much I would suggest looking into a Windows mini-pc or NUC ie a Gigabyte brix.
    I used an android box for a while to learn Kodi but the Windows machine is so much better. I have more RAM and storage and the Kodi interface works much better.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll look into that.

Any Window's devices you would recommend for within that range? I see the Minix Neo Z64 for in or around that region, if not a little bit more expensive. Is that worth the punt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Thanks for the heads up! I'll look into that.

Any Window's devices you would recommend for within that range? I see the Minix Neo Z64 for in or around that region, if not a little bit more expensive. Is that worth the punt?

I'll take a look at that later. I have a HP 260 G1 that I picked up on offer but an Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix would be perfect for a media box.

One(Can't remember at the moment) is compatible with CEC for control using your TV remote.

Bit more expensive to set up but more functionality with Windows and expandable, more memory/more storage etc

will56 wrote: »
    If doing that, then do away with windows altogether.
    Kodibuntu or Openelec run it better, and are free.

But an even better option again (Pricewise) would be a Raspberry Pi or Orange Pi (or Banana Pi, Odroid etc..)
    Install any of the optional OS' and buy a decent Airmouse or K400 keyboard + Trackpad.

Also the Mickyhop boxes are gaining traction. Very easy to use, and they work out of the box with many different options. Most come with a choice of remotes and additional tuners for Satellite or Terrestrial/Cable or both. It sits on Android and is closed, so all of their updates come in and their apps are all based on their users wants. Pretty nice and smooth/easy to use. Fall inside your price range, and they pretty much cover everything.

As Will56 said, the Gigabyte/NUC/Zotac etc. are a great option, but can end up costing. In which case you may have been better to spend the money to begin with.

But for the same results, cheap and cheerful - any of the DIY boards.

For everything all in, easy to setup, wipe and start again - Many options, then I have to say that I am currently loving the mickyhop box. It just works. Also the OS is very user friendly. It's customisable but I haven't figured out that yet, loads of other things on it that make it a much easier alternative, hooked up to my dish and an aerial (I no longer need ;) ) and have the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Allyall wrote: »
    If doing that, then do away with windows altogether.
    Kodibuntu or Openelec run it better, and are free.

But an even better option again (Pricewise) would be a Raspberry Pi or Orange Pi (or Banana Pi, Odroid etc..)
    Install any of the optional OS' and buy a decent Airmouse or K400 keyboard + Trackpad.

Also the Mickyhop boxes are gaining traction. Very easy to use, and they work out of the box with many different options. Most come with a choice of remotes and additional tuners for Satellite or Terrestrial/Cable or both. It sits on Android and is closed, so all of their updates come in and their apps are all based on their users wants. Pretty nice and smooth/easy to use. Fall inside your price range, and they pretty much cover everything.

As Will56 said, the Gigabyte/NUC/Zotac etc. are a great option, but can end up costing. In which case you may have been better to spend the money to begin with.

But for the same results, cheap and cheerful - any of the DIY boards.

For everything all in, easy to setup, wipe and start again - Many options, then I have to say that I am currently loving the mickyhop box. It just works. Also the OS is very user friendly. It's customisable but I haven't figured out that yet, loads of other things on it that make it a much easier alternative, hooked up to my dish and an aerial (I no longer need ;) ) and have the internet.

Whats a Mickyhop(:D) box ?

neacy69 wrote: »
    Whats a Mickyhop(:D) box ?
    Apart from the addictive name :D

It's a closed platform, with it's own market. Ideally everything in it is more stable and comes with middleware and combo tuners. I bought it just over a month ago on promotion I saw on a Russian forum, and like it a lot. It features on a few IPTV forums too. Any app you require can be ported it to it (upon request), but it comes with nearly every app you would want (and more). Mine came with a few IPTV subs installed (not trial), and a combo tuner. There are others types.
    I have it hooked up to dish and and no issues. I still have tons to mess around with it on it, but keep getting sidetracked as it has tons of emulators/games built in :D (And I already have a setup I use for games :o). So I haven't figured out everything on it yet, but it literally seems to have everything included. I have Kodi running my build and find myself using it less :eek:.. :p

Also, if anyone messes with it and wipes anything, no setup. It's just one click. So I may give it to my Mother. They seem to be getting more popular on those forums, so will probably do the same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Allyall wrote: »
    Apart from the addictive name :D

It's a closed platform, with it's own market. Ideally everything in it is more stable and comes with middleware and combo tuners. I bought it just over a month ago on promotion I saw on a Russian forum, and like it a lot. It features on a few IPTV forums too. Any app you require can be ported it to it (upon request), but it comes with nearly every app you would want (and more). Mine came with a few IPTV subs installed (not trial), and a combo tuner. There are others types.
    I have it hooked up to dish and and no issues. I still have tons to mess around with it on it, but keep getting sidetracked as it has tons of emulators/games built in :D (And I already have a setup I use for games :o). So I haven't figured out everything on it yet, but it literally seems to have everything included. I have Kodi running my build and find myself using it less :eek:.. :p

Also, if anyone messes with it and wipes anything, no setup. It's just one click. So I may give it to my Mother. They seem to be getting more popular on those forums, so will probably do the same here.

These sound more than interesting Allyall.

Have you any pointers as to where I could buy one from?

These sound more than interesting Allyall.

Have you any pointers as to where I could buy one from?

I got mine shipped via Finland, but they are on Amazon, Aliexpress and Chinabuye etc..
    I'm not sure about the linking, as they only seem to be advertising workarounds, it might be the same as linking dodgy apps.
    Avov.tv have the same ones, but only one with tuner. They're based in Canada though, so it may be an extra expense and hassle to return.

EDIT - Tame enough advert here, version with tuners.
    That's nearly identical to the version I have, except mine has a Russian Logo embedded/indented on the top.

I think they are a Russian box by Russians and MickyHop may be a Russian Platform, but they didn't keep the sole rights or whatever it is Wetek did that were able to stop most Chinese stores from selling them - Except Geekbuying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Del007

So with this mickeyhop box, I could hook my satellite dish to it and also be able to run apps on it?

Sounds cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I'm running Paradox(Black Box) on an MXQ and have found it very problematic. It's slow and unresponsive at times and a lot of streams are coming back as errors. Any better addons out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads I'm running Paradox(Black Box) on an MXQ and have found it very problematic. It's slow and unresponsive at times and a lot of streams are coming back as errors. Any better addons out there?

Paradox isn't an add-on . it's a build.
    Paradox is one of the best builds out there just make sure you've updated to kodi 16 and the latest build.

Also, depending on which MXQ you have, install openelec on an SD/MicroSD Card and dual boot. Or if you don't use Android just install it on the NAND.

You will have a much more stable platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Paradox is one of the best builds out there just make sure you've updated to kodi 16 and the latest build.

You now need to register to install Paradox.I have it on a box and it's running grand.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

I received a notification that the new version of Paradox was available, so stupidly updated to build 0223 without having updated Kodi to 16.0 Jarvis. A lot of my add-ons had to be disabled due to 'unmet dependancy issues', so I updated to Jarvis.

I kept getting the same errors, so i'm trying to revert to 15.2 Isengaard and Paradox build 0209, but can't find the previous build anywhere. Has anyone any other build recommendations? Currently downloading "The Beast" build.

I received a notification that the new version of Paradox was available, so stupidly updated to build 0223 without having updated Kodi to 16.0 Jarvis. A lot of my add-ons had to be disabled due to 'unmet dependancy issues', so I updated to Jarvis.

I kept getting the same errors, so i'm trying to revert to 15.2 Isengaard and Paradox build 0209, but can't find the previous build anywhere. Has anyone any other build recommendations? Currently downloading "The Beast" build.

Just factory reset your box, then install Kodi 16 then install the newest paradox build.

Edit: Never mind, just realised this is the android forum, and not the Openelec tips thread. Don't mind me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Allyall wrote:
    Also, depending on which MXQ you have, install openelec on an SD/MicroSD Card and dual boot. Or if you don't use Android just install it on the NAND.

Allyall wrote:
    You will have a much more stable platform.

any links how to do it ?

• Advertisement

tharmor wrote: »
    any links how to do it ?

It also depends on which MXQ you have.
    THIS VERSION (Known as HD18Q) or THIS VERSION (Known as MXQ)

Get the latest build for your device from either of these links

http://s805.eu/releases/6.0.3.1/
    http://amlinux.ru/image/

If you want to dual boot the Micro/SD Card version
    Write the SD image to the Card using Win32DiskImager

If installing to NAND, just extract the NAND image files to the card.

First boot has to be done while holding reset button - attach power and keep button pressed for 10 seconds.

Advertisement