Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Thank you for taking the time replying, I appreciate it :)

Well as I am relatively new to boards,

You joined nearly 12 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

You joined nearly 12 years ago?

Sarcasm, and it wasn't the only bit of sarcasm...

As I stated, I was looking for help, not confrontation or suggestions of google ;) more pity me..

if anyone who knows a lot about this tech wants to help a fellow bordies out then drop me a line, I would appreciate it a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thank you for taking the time replying, I appreciate it :)
    You are as expected totally correct that I received a reply to my question about the 2gb ram also :) again I thank you for taking your time to point this out..

My additional questions regarding if this box was in fact the latest version was not answered, oddly enough this was equally important to me in order to understand the technology..

In addition, you suggested that I use google, and also asked how I would cope with dead add ons if I was this lost with the technology at this early stage..

Well as I am relatively new to boards, I was hoping to get assistance if and only if it was required, the idea of using google for information, we both know could be applied to almost every single question asked on boards. wouldn't you agree ? In all the questions I have answered I have never suggested to anyone to google.. I have a background in computers, its a bit rusty but it did involve writing a book that was published some years ago and also owning a Dublin based computer manufacturing company, but as we both know the tech moves so fast in these fields its hard to keep up.. :)
    So again I apologise for asking was this the latest version of the box, and I apologise for taking up your time on this matter, may I humbly suggest if you consider my posts a waste of your time that you simply ignore them, or better still I could pass on my phone number by PM and we could chat about the tech and our polar opposite understanding of what boards is all about and what it means to both of us :)

Im sorry for the long reply, and I am not suggesting you are a keyboard worrior, I was simply trying to get an answer on a platform that I usually find extremely helpful..
    Looking forward to you reply and hoping we can chat further :)

A very passive aggressive response dont you think? I don't know what you background or business accumne has to do with anything on this thread?

This thread already has more than enough recommendations if you have a quick browse, on solid boxes and specific websites which will help get the most out of your box.

Also alot of things relating to these boxes can not be discussed on Boards and that's why I direct you to Google. Specific websites were mentioned in the thread previously and we do not want to continue mentioning them as they are a grey area. Maybe I suggest you read the forum charter so you have a better idea what can be discussed here.

You were advised to get a 2GB. The 9+ you mentioned is 1GB an the 8S is 2GB. As far as I'm aware you didn't mention any others so the assumption, to me, would be to go with the 8S as it is the 2GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The reason they suggest Google is probably the type of help you want can't be discussed here

The reason they suggest Google is probably the type of help you want can't be discussed here

Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand, I cant ask if the box is the latest version of the hardware ? as I never in fact asked any software questions..

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    A very passive aggressive response dont you think? I don't know what you background or business accumne has to do with anything on this thread?

This thread already has more than enough recommendations if you have a quick browse, on solid boxes and specific websites which will help get the most out of your box.

Also alot of things relating to these boxes can not be discussed on Boards and that's why I direct you to Google. Specific websites were mentioned in the thread previously and we do not want to continue mentioning them as they are a grey area. Maybe I suggest you read the forum charter so you have a better idea what can be discussed here.

You were advised to get a 2GB. The 9+ you mentioned is 1GB an the 8S is 2GB. As far as I'm aware you didn't mention any others so the assumption, to me, would be to go with the 8S as it is the 2GB.

I did go back, but as my question related to hardware that wasn't discussed in the last 15 pages, I asked the question, :)
    I was enquiring about the 9+ box.. not the 8+ box..

Thank you for the information, I will check the forum to see what relates to asking about new hardware..

As for the passive aggressive comment, it was no more helpful that the nature of the original reply I got that sparked this off.. and my background was mentioned because of the suggestion I would run into further difficulties and I felt the need to respond..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I did go back, but as my question related to hardware that wasn't discussed in the last 15 pages, I asked the question, :)
    I was enquiring about the 9+ box.. not the 8+ box..

Thank you for the information, I will check the forum to see what relates to asking about new hardware..

As for the passive aggressive comment, it was no more helpful that the nature of the original reply I got that sparked this off..

Maybe you picked me up wrong and read a little deeper than necessary but I've never been one to be confrontational on Boards.

You asked for a recommendation and were given one. Go for the 2GB model. The 9+ is a newer model but only has 1GB of Ram.

At the end of the day it is entirely up to you.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Maybe you picked me up wrong and read a little deeper than necessary but I've never been one to be confrontational on Boards.

You asked for a recommendation and were given one. Go for the 2GB model. The 9+ is a newer model but only has 1GB of Ram.

At the end of the day it is entirely up to you.

Its really clear that I must of picked you up totally wrong with your original reply, and you were only in fact suggesting google was the place for me..

I also looked at the charter, no mention of asking hardware questions of the nature I asked, and we both know that the thread is full of those types of questions.. again for the record, I never asked any software questions, or even mentioned them.. the issue was with simply which box to pick based on the hardware..

Thank you for your time, your a gem and an asset of boards and look forward to chatting again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

You'll never get help with that attitude.
    Bolding your replies jaysus.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    You'll never get help with that attitude.
    Bolding your replies jaysus.
    I agree totally, how could I use the bold option, imagine if I had used all capitals,, the shame of it all.. I'm doing all right so far.. thanks for pointing out where I went wrong, I will take it under advisement for further posts..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Guys, I have an air mouse, its the Rii, r25 mouse (can't post links yet).

I've had it for quite a while, but could anyone tell me how I get the directional controls (the arrow buttons and the ok in the center) to work with kodi?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm not that impressed with these boxes though. Far better tech out there but they do the job I guess and the fact that I haven't bothered setting up things like Kodi properly to get the best out of it, surely doesn't help

That is the reason why you aren't impressed by the boxes,kodi with all the right add-ons and you have a world of stuff.

I have an older dual core box still,it does the job but slowly.Its in the bedroom but I might give it to the young lad and stick Minecraft on it as its rarely used.
    I have a 2gb box in the sitting room and it flies along.I have all the add-ons I need and access to whatever I want to watch,when I want to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

zerks wrote:
    That is the reason why you aren't impressed by the boxes,kodi with all the right add-ons and you have a world of stuff.

Or maybe it's the fact, I'm actually not really a tv person but the tech is interesting. I'm finding this tech too clunky too clicky. Most don't know how to deal with that and/ or have the skills to do so. I do think there's better tech out there for watching tv. I can't ever see myself buying one of these boxes but you do make a good point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Guys, I have an air mouse, its the Rii, r25 mouse (can't post links yet).

I've had it for quite a while, but could anyone tell me how I get the directional controls (the arrow buttons and the ok in the center) to work with kodi?

have you tried shutting off the airmouse button, as that should then let your directional buttons be used as primary input?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Or maybe it's the fact, I'm actually not really a tv person but the tech is interesting. I'm finding this tech too clunky too clicky. Most don't know how to deal with that and/ or have the skills to do so. I do think there's better tech out there for watching tv. I can't ever see myself buying one of these boxes but you do make a good point

You could stick kodi on a laptop and use that,I work weird hours so dont watch 'traditional' tv.I use kodi to catch up on the series I enjoy and movies,no ads etc. and the latest stuff.

Even if you are into gaming,these boxes and a decent controller make a half decent games console.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

zerks wrote: »
    You could stick kodi on a laptop and use that,I work weird hours so dont watch 'traditional' tv.I use kodi to catch up on the series I enjoy and movies,no ads etc. and the latest stuff.

Even if you are into gaming,these boxes and a decent controller make a half decent games console.

job done. been messing around with kodi on the laptop for some time now. i can understand why lads rate it and these boxes but i do agree with people who say that its not a great replacement for official subscription services. you have to constantly tweak the stuff to keep it going. not great for those that are not tech savy. i think theres better technology out there. more user friendly but what can be done with kodi, is impressive.

have you tried shutting off the airmouse button, as that should then let your directional buttons be used as primary input?

Just the same mate.

IIts a weird one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Just the same mate.

IIts a weird one.

Hello Alf,I'm thinking this is the remote you have and that this Thread from the Official Kodi Forum might help you.

bazzz wrote: »
    Hello Alf,I'm thinking this is the remote you have and that this [forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=187999"]Thread from the Official Kodi Forum[/URL] might help you.

You beauty!

Have it configured, and it only took me the guts of a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

Quick question, I've an mxiii box on Android 4.2 and I downloaded the all4 ch4 app .. the ads work fine, menus, log in etc .. but when the main bulk of any program starts I have sound but a total black screen. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated .

• Advertisement

jharr100 wrote: »
    Quick question, I've an mxiii box on Android 4.2 and I downloaded the all4 ch4 app .. the ads work fine, menus, log in etc .. but when the main bulk of any program starts I have sound but a total black screen. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated .

Is it (ch4 app) geo-locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

Is it (ch4 app) geo-locked?

No its not locked , works fine on the tablet app or online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads when I'm watching a film the image jumps every minute and it starts to buffer. It says my cache is full even though I emptied it. Anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads when I'm watching a film the image jumps every minute and it starts to buffer. It says my cache is full even though I emptied it. Anyone else have this issue?

Either there is a problem with the stream and you should try another one or else it could be your internet - for example, it may not be fast enough or your ISP could be throttling. Best way is to try a couple of different streams to try and identify the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

tharmor wrote:
    Ordered two mxq from amazon for £25 each.....very happy with them !

Have ya a link to the one you bought.I want to buy one not loaded

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Redriddick wrote:

NET mxq..its 23.99 now...cant post link

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Redriddick wrote: »

It's on Amazon. I'd pay a bit more for something better

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It's on Amazon. I'd pay a bit more for something better

I don't get when anyone makes that statement, if they mean another more expensive box that does the same thing..

Anyway, this is decent and shipping times can be good. €37.13 - https://www.fasttech.com/products/4460200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Allyall wrote: »
    I don't get when anyone makes that statement, if they mean another more expensive box that does the same thing..

Anyway, this is decent and shipping times can be good. €37.13 - https://www.fasttech.com/products/4460200

Looks nice. Where do they ship from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Looks nice. Where do they ship from?

They Ship from China for most items. I've ordered from them before and it was fast, but that doesn't mean that it will be next time.
    I think they bulk ship on a Thursday to Europe and then the pallets are distributed, but I can't remember where I picked that idea up from. It is the same way Aliexpress used to do it.

It was supposed to be released with the s905II onboard, but not sure why it got released now, they may have other ideas or see the market saturation. It's apparently got the same board as the MX Plus, so maybe they decided to run with it rather than wait.

By the way, that wasn't a dig at the above poster, I was just saying that I don't get why people are so quick to pay more for something that does the same thing. The MXQ may have 1GB Ram, but dual boots nicely into Openelec and the difference in speed wouldn't be an issue to most people, especially not someone that had never used one before.

Advertisement