Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

THFC wrote: »
    Hoping someone can answer my 2 very basic qs. I've read through quite a few pages but still can't find the answers.

What channels can you get with those Android boxes?

And what's the best one for a reasonable price?

Thanks.

If you read through much of the thread at all, you'ld quickly see that mentioning channels is frowned on because its .......well..........a tad illegal.

As for a reasonable price, whats your definition of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If you read through much of the thread at all, you'ld quickly see that mentioning channels is frowned on because its .......well..........a tad illegal.

As for a reasonable price, whats your definition of that?

Well I suppose that depends on the channels I'd receive. But, for contrast, we were paying €60 a month last year for sky, which works out at €720 for the year. Along with the obvious things (i.e. live pause, rewind, record) we were getting Sky sports/movies and a load of other channels too.

So, depending on the channels and ability to do the basics like pause and record, anything under €500 would be a huge saving. From what I can see these things go for well under €100, so, long story short, basically looking for the best value for money box that will last the longest and has the best features.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Decent IPTV prices average roughly at $20 per month, and $45 for 3 months etc..

The most expensive I've come across is €24 per month, and it's good (just not sure if it's that price difference better).

There are also ones for €20 per year, and you can guess what they're like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Well I suppose that depends on the channels I'd receive. But, for contrast, we were paying €60 a month last year for sky, which works out at €720 for the year. Along with the obvious things (i.e. live pause, rewind, record) we were getting Sky sports/movies and a load of other channels too.

So, depending on the channels and ability to do the basics like pause and record, anything under €500 would be a huge saving. From what I can see these things go for well under €100, so, long story short, basically looking for the best value for money box that will last the longest and has the best features.

Ok, first of all, you clearly haven't bothered to read any of this thread or you would know what can and can't be discussed. Herald very kindly and politely spelled it out for you and you still ignored him.

Secondly, if you consider "the ability to record" as "basic", then I would politely suggest that you start doing some research on Google as it's quite clear that you haven't a clue what you're buying...

Fair enough, not going to discuss the channel thing for obvious reasons, but for €100 there are a lot of options out there from various vendors, upthread a poster mentioned a Tronsmart box, I've not used any of them, but from what I've seen on line, they have their fans, and I've no reason to doubt the good reports about them.
    I've used a Minix for the last 18 months and I'm pretty happy with my box, from them you'll get their top of the range offerings for €100-€150.

However, it may also be in your interests to get a relatively cheap box in the €30 to €50 ballpark, then search around google and youtube for articles and videos about what these boxes do and how they work, configure the box with the various option that appeal to you on line and see if you're happy with that.

I bought a cheap beelink box in the last few weeks that I'm basically going to use for thrashing about, its got a decent spec on paper and is running android Lollipop, however its a little flakey, and has atrocious wi-fi, which for me, averse as I am to running cables all over the place is a pain in the swiss. It also has a tendency to over heat and when that happens audio stops working, however when you know these limitations, you can work within them. With this box, apartfrom using it in another house down west when I'm down there, I'm going to use it for installing various builds and addons on Kodi for testing. If along the way the thing blows up or bricks or whatever, then I've lost €40, no big deal.

If you're looking to go down the android box route, I'd suggest maybe first of all downloading Kodi on your Laptop and then going on you tube for videos on what addons to install, try these out and see if you're happy with what you get bearing in mind these are largely what you'll be using on your box should you purchase one.

Theres two things to bear in mind here though, nothing on an android box will be as polished as a service from VM or Sky, and the addons/Kodi/various apps are all provided by people on an ad hoc and generally unpaid basis, so whats here today and working may well be gone tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

BandMember wrote: »
    Ok, first of all, you clearly haven't bothered to read any of this thread or you would know what can and can't be discussed. Herald very kindly and politely spelled it out for you and you still ignored him.

Secondly, if you consider "the ability to record" as "basic", then I would politely suggest that you start doing some research on Google as it's quite clear that you haven't a clue what you're buying...

Cheer up a small bit. I haven't, as mentioned, bothered to read the thread because it's exceptionally long, but I have read the first few pages and the last few.

If you don't want to help, the solution is quite simple, don't.

Thanks to the others who have, and also for those few helpful PMs. It's a great community ye have. And apologies if I am coming across as a complete idiot, I'm not very good with this tech stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Allyall wrote: »

The most expensive I've come across is €24 per month, and it's good (just not sure if it's that price difference better).

There are also ones for €20 per year, and you can guess what they're like.

Is that eir tv or something else?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Is that eir tv or something else?

Not eir.
    Although their bundles look decent.
    I got on to chat to ask what channels are available with each bundle, and this is the link I was given - https://www.eir.ie/tv/channels/
    It's similar to magnet TV a few years ago, with the exception of the BT Sports channels included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

broadband bundles and fone look expensive :eek:
    compared to vodafone,
    eircom broadband seems to have increased an awful lot in the last 2-3 years
    Not eir.
    Although their bundles look decent.
    I got on to chat to ask what channels are available with each bundle, and this is the link I was given - https://www.eir.ie/tv/channels/
    It's similar to magnet TV a few years ago, with the exception of the BT Sports channels included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I recently bought the Beelink Mini MXIII, and although thats only €30 I still got done. I'd imagine once they see "tv box" on the descriptor on the package, they automatically contact you, similarly with "Phone" etc.

Can I ask what they charged you on this? Also about how long did yours take delivery wise?

Thanks...

• Advertisement

I just meant the TV + Broadband for €25, but tbh, I didn't read the full t&c's.
    I just saw 'full efibre unlimited, up to 100Mb and TV with 55 channels including BT Sports and Setanta'. That seems decent at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

I got an android box about a month ago. Worked grand for me, but I had one strange incident. I was visiting some friends last weekend and was showing them the box. When watching videos (from an SD card), every so often the screen would go turquoise. It would eventually go back to normal, changing the TV's input to something else and then back to HDMI would sort it immediately. I tried to use a different HDMI cable, but that didn't make a difference. As it never happened on my TV, I am guessing that there was some form of incompatibility with their TV.
    Am I right in my guess and if so are there settings that can be changed on the android box/TV that would allow the box to work correctly with that TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

It can happen if the resolution of tv is different from whats set in the box. Lets say your tv only supports 720p then go to android box display setting and change it accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

nevelator wrote: »
    I got an android box about a month ago. Worked grand for me, but I had one strange incident. I was visiting some friends last weekend and was showing them the box. When watching videos (from an SD card), every so often the screen would go turquoise. It would eventually go back to normal, changing the TV's input to something else and then back to HDMI would sort it immediately. I tried to use a different HDMI cable, but that didn't make a difference. As it never happened on my TV, I am guessing that there was some form of incompatibility with their TV.
    Am I right in my guess and if so are there settings that can be changed on the android box/TV that would allow the box to work correctly with that TV?

More than likely your friends tv was a Phillips or Sony tv. This is a known problem with these brands older models. Some of the android boxes has an option to force RGB output to compat this problem. EG Minix U1

The M8S is a great piece of kit for the price. Just not suitable to Phillips and Sony tvs.

If you experience slow wifi speeds or the box refuses to upgrade overthe air see some fixes here:

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905/others-ac/firmware-roms-tools-bj/569548-aml-mini-m8s-s905-latest-firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

givecredit wrote: »
    More than likely your friends tv was a Phillips or Sony tv. This is a known problem with these brands older models. Some of the android boxes has an option to force RGB output to compat this problem. EG Minix U1

The M8S is a great piece of kit for the price. Just not suitable to Phillips and Sony tvs.

If you experience slow wifi speeds or the box refuses to upgrade overthe air see some fixes here:

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905/others-ac/firmware-roms-tools-bj/569548-aml-mini-m8s-s905-latest-firmware

Yep, it was a Sony Bravia telly - so that would explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

The most expensive I've come across is 24 per month, and it's good (just not sure if it's that price difference better).

There are also ones for 20 per year, and you can guess what they're like.
    50 Euro for about 1200 stations is a good price IMO - works on multi devices and with Smart IPTV and OTT apps etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Del007

iba wrote: »
    50 Euro for about 1200 stations is a good price IMO - works on multi devices and with Smart IPTV and OTT apps etc

I pay 80 pounds per year and it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Lads without going through 120 pages is there any kind of consensus on what is the "best" Android box right now? Everyone and their uncle has one and they are all from brands no one has ever heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lads without going through 120 pages is there any kind of consensus on what is the "best" Android box right now? Everyone and their uncle has one and they are all from brands no one has ever heard of.

https://www.avforums.com/review/minix-neo-x8-h-plus-review.11345

Pricier than many boxes but it's worth it.I've a €45 box and it does the job for me,no issues.

zerks wrote: »
    https://www.avforums.com/review/minix-neo-x8-h-plus-review.11345

Pricier than many boxes but it's worth it.I've a €45 box and it does the job for me,no issues.

Minix Neo U1 is the latest version from Minix (newest model in the range, the one that came out after the X-8H Plus).

Like yourself, I would never go with anything else - best box on the market, IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

The current best and best for a while now,is the Nvidia Shield TV.It leaves all other boxes well behind.It's an all round Streaming,Gaming,General Entertainment beast and easy to use(for the less experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

bazzz wrote: »
    The current best and best for a while now,is the Nvidia Shield TV.It leaves all other boxes well behind.It's an all round Streaming,Gaming,General Entertainment beast and easy to use(for the less experienced.

I've considered it but the fact its running the more locked down Android TV rather than straight Android concerns me. How easy is it to side load apps?

For anyone that wants to build their own using a Raspberry Pi, but doesn't think that they know how, sharewareonsale are giving away a free ebook - How To Build a Media Center with Raspberry Pi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

I've considered it but the fact its running the more locked down Android TV rather than straight Android concerns me. How easy is it to side load apps?

It's very easy to side load apps and convert apps too.You can push apps from the Play store web version to the shield too.So can be done from your phone browser,PC,etc,etc.It's also easy to root if you wanted to too,I'm still using stock on one and it's no problem whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭clouter

Hi just wondering what sort of internet speed is required to run an Android box. I have 13 Mb download and 1.8Mb upload speeds at present. Would these be sufficient or would it just be too slow to make it usable.

Thanks in advance.

clouter wrote: »
    Hi just wondering what sort of internet speed is required to run an Android box. I have 13 Mb download and 1.8Mb upload speeds at present. Would these be sufficient or would it just be too slow to make it usable.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, you're grand with those speeds as you only need 2.5MB for SD streams and 5-6MB for HD streams. I've seen the boxes run off less...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Is the Beelink brand any good ?

MiniMXIII , S905 Quad Core 64-bit , 2gb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I just meant the TV + Broadband for €25, but tbh, I didn't read the full t&c's.
    I just saw 'full efibre unlimited, up to 100Mb and TV with 55 channels including BT Sports and Setanta'. That seems decent at face value.

That's €25 a month for 6 months then €85 for the duration of an 18 month contract ;)

jonski wrote: »
    Is the Beelink brand any good ?

MiniMXIII , S905 Quad Core 64-bit , 2gb

I got one of those boxes a few weeks ago, I'm still playing with it.

It's OK, not quite as good as my Minix N8H+, but sofar its proving to be an OK box.

The one big negative I have with it, is that the Wifi is terrible, my wifi normally gives me 60-8oMb download, with this my download is about 3mb, strangely the upload is 8-10Mb at the same time. My minix gives me the same as any other device I'm using.

I've seen a vid on Youtube where somebody opens the box and you can see the wireless chipset on the MB, theres no cable off it like many boxes have, and as such you couldn't really bodge an external antenna even if you wanted(not that I'm that technically minded), where as some boxes wifi problems can be sorted out by moving the wire internally in the box, and connecting it better to the antenna plate(this box doesn't seem to have an internal antenna plate).

I've ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vonets-VAP11G-WiFi-Bridge-Dongle/dp/B0050AI804

It's a wireless bridge, you plug it into the ethernet port, and power it up with a USB cable, it basically fools the ethernet port into thinking that the feed its getting is from a hardwired connection, whereas the little dongle at the end is a wireless receiver.

I'm not sure it'll work, but it was only a few euro, and I'll have either frustration or fun trying to set it up.

The only other problems I've had with the Beelink Minimxiii, were that after a few days playing around with it, the audio stopped working, I turned it off and left it over night, and started it up about 24 hours later and it was fine again. It may have been that leaving it powered on led it to overheating, anyhow, its not happened since.

Anyway, my plan for this is to use it as a box in a second house I own down the west, and if the wireless bridge works it'll be ideal for that, I'll just backup my kodi build from the minix box and upload that when i need to on the Beelink.

My focus on wireless is that I've an aversion to running cables either here or in the west, and in both houses the Router is not anywhere near my TV,and I've an aversion to homeplugs also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

I am hearing that there are some subscription charges out there where you can watch good quality sports streams.

Anyone familiar with this?

Not sure if this can be discussed here but would be interested if someone can get back to me. If not here then maybe a direct message,

Appreciated it.

Advertisement