Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,433 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I am hearing that there are some subscription charges out there where you can watch good quality sports streams.

Can't be discussed here unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

anybody have any experience with a Celtic Warrior T8 Plus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Is there any boxes out there that does TV Channels only, without satellite dish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

leemaree wrote: »
    Is there any boxes out there that does TV Channels only, without satellite dish?

Yeah almost all of them.

You don't need a satellite dish for 99.9% of android boxes. Just a half decent internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Where would people recommend I buy an M8S box, I see there's a page selling them on Facebook but would rather buy from a reputable source, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Where would people recommend I buy an M8S box, I see there's a page selling them on Facebook but would rather buy from a reputable source, thanks.

Look on geekbuying or banggood etc.. and buy a different android box from there.
    To be honest, the only ones to really avoid (unless audio/music is a priority) are the rockchip devices. Any other are as good as the next. They all play full HD without an issue if they have the correct ROM on them.
    Unless you also plan on using it as a gaming console.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Allyall wrote: »
    Look on geekbuying or banggood etc.. and buy a different android box from there.
    To be honest, the only ones to really avoid (unless audio/music is a priority) are the rockchip devices. Any other are as good as the next. They all play full HD without an issue if they have the correct ROM on them.
    Unless you also plan on using it as a gaming console.

Cheers, no just for sports channels after Virgin screwed me!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,433 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cheers, no just for sports channels after Virgin screwed me!

highly recommend playing around with kodi before purchasing. this technology can be problematic at times particularly for those that are not good with technology

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

THFC wrote: »
    Well I suppose that depends on the channels I'd receive. But, for contrast, we were paying €60 a month last year for sky, which works out at €720 for the year. Along with the obvious things (i.e. live pause, rewind, record) we were getting Sky sports/movies and a load of other channels too.

So, depending on the channels and ability to do the basics like pause and record, anything under €500 would be a huge saving. From what I can see these things go for well under €100, so, long story short, basically looking for the best value for money box that will last the longest and has the best features.
    take a decco at the free tv for windows on the xmbc site, once you dowmload it it unfolds automatically, all you need then is to download the addons it is a relativly easy process, plenty of help online, via their fourms and you tube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Del007

If anyone would like info on what channels you can get on a box then feel free to pm me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

What is the best price of an Nvidia Shield TV online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

What is the best price of an Nvidia Shield TV online?

£90 last week. God bless the Amazon prime day sale. No doubt it will drop back to a oner again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Could anyone recommend a good budget box that's not too expensive? Mostly for sport and TV. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Could anyone recommend a good budget box that's not too expensive? Mostly for sport and TV. Cheers.

If you bothered to read even the last few pages of this thread, you'd find a few...

However, as has also been pointed out, we cannot speak about either option you are looking for here, except for to say that both are extremely unreliable from free sources (which we can't discuss here) so you would have to go down the subscription route (which we also can't discuss here).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

If ever the saying 'buy cheap-buy twice' can be applied then its definitely when it comes to Android type boxes.

If your money can stretch then get yourself a Nvidia Shield TV and you wont look back.

If ever the saying 'buy cheap-buy twice' can be applied then its definitely when it comes to Android type boxes.

If your money can stretch then get yourself a Nvidia Shield TV and you wont look back.

+1.

I couldn't agree more with you! As I've said before, you get what you pay for and the cheaper boxes are frequently rubbish (lot of Chinese clones about). The Nvidia Shield is rated the best box on the market alright so that should definitely be top of the list, but personally I have a couple of Minix boxes (which are rated as a very close second to the Shield) and I couldn't recommend them highly enough either.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cheap and cheerful, could probably do with you also ordering a wireless keyboard but will both do the basics you need out of the box very good.

MXQ Pro
    http://www.banggood.com/MXQ-Pro-4K-Ultimate-KODI-Android-5_1-Lollipop-Amlogic-S905-Quad-Core-1GB8GB-TV-Box-Android-Mini-PC-p-1015008.html

Or

NEXBOX A95X

http://www.banggood.com/A95X-NEXBOX-Amlogic-S905-64bit-Android-5_1-4K-x-2K-1G8G-Wifi-2_4G-Dolby-DTS-TV-Box-Android-Mini-PC-p-1057587.html

The Nexbox might be better for novice user as remote has a Kodi button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Benzino wrote: »
    Hey, I've had a look at this and yeah, the same thing is happening to me too. I can see how it would be very frustrating. Not quite sure why it's happening either, I've read people saying the new Kodi has some bugs with wake locks, but I installed an app that is meant to keep the device from sleeping, and it didn't make any difference.

Just noticed that the playback problems aren't restricted to kodi, its basically any video playback using android.

It will play a video, but if you "wake" the screen after it goes off, it kicks you out of the video, resulting in you having to play it over again.

Surely there must be a setting somewhere that stops the screen on the pipo itself from sleeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have an i3 NUC and a NowTV with plex and a plethora of phones, laptops and tablets, so I'm not stuck for something to watch/stream tv/movies on, but I've been watching the android tv box development for a while and have dipped my toe in with a meego tv stick a while ago (which was very disappointing), but I just saw these come out and they look really interesting.

http://www.banggood.com/TX5-Pro-4K-KODI-Android-6_0-Marshmallow-Amlogic-S905X-2G16G-802_11-bgn-LAN-TV-Box-Android-Mini-PC-p-1066668.html

I've also been playing with H265 and VP9 video too, so these are especially curious to me as they support hardware decoding of both H.265 & VP9 video @60fps in 4K, along with all the other bells and whistles you'd expect (and more), especially the "unfettered internet surfing" which sounds like great fun! :)

it also looks like great value at under $50 (if you shop around).

here's the bumph >>>
    Highlights
    [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Android Marshmallow[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Android Marshmallow is a refinement and extension of the core features and functionality of Android Lollipop. Marshmallow primarily focuses on improving the overall user experience of Lollipop, introducing a new permissions architecture, new APIs for contextual assistants, a new power management system that reduces background activity.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Amlogic S905X[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Amlogic S905X is a low cost version of Amlogic S905 with a lower operating frequency, built-in stereo DAC, integrated Ethernet PHY, 4K VP9 and HDR10 & HLG support.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]DDR3 2GB RAM, eMMC 16GB Flash[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]It boasts DDR3 2GB RAM, and eMMC 16GB Flash, advantageous in performance, security and reliability, ascribing to the eMMC memory, ultimately delivering a richer end-user experience.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]100M LAN[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Equipped with 100M LAN Interface for unfettered internet surfing.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]4K Resolution[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The latest in a line of broadcast and media resolutions, 4K is due to replace 1080p as the highest-resolution signal available for in-home movies and television. With a minimum resolution of 3,840 pixels wide and 2,160 pixels high, making it the equivalent to two 1080p screens in height and two in length. [/font]
    Specification

[th][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]General[/font][/th]

Brand
    Tanix

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Model[/font]
    TX5 Pro

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Color[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Black[/font]

[th][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]System[/font][/th]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Operating System[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Android 6.0 Marshmallow[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CPU[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Amlogic S905X Cortex A53 Processor 1.5GHz[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]GPU[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Penta-Core ARM Mali-450[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]RAM[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]2GB DDR3[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]ROM[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]16GB EMMC[/font]

[th][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Communication[/font][/th]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Wifi Connectivity[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]IEEE 802.11b/g/n/ac[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Ethernet[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]10/100M[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Language[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]English/French/German/Spanish/Italian/ etc multilateral languages[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bluetooth[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]V4.0[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Camera[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]N/A[/font]

[th][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Media[/font][/th]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Video Supported[/font]
    UHD 4K 60fps HW decoding, supports multiple formats including H.265 10-bit, H.264 and AVS+
    FHD 1080p 60fps HW encoding, supports H.264
    Video Decoding:
    VP9 Profile-2 up to 4Kx2K@60fps
    H.265 HEVC MP-10@L5.1 up to 4Kx2K@60fps
    H.264 AVC HP@L5.1 up to 4Kx2K@30fps
    H.264 MVC up to 1080P@60fps
    MPEG-4 ASP@L5 up to 1080P@60fps
    WMV/VC-1 SP/MP/AP up to 1080P@60fps
    AVS-P16(AVS+)/AVS-P2 JiZhun Profile up to l080P@60fps
    MPEG-2 MP/HL up to 1080P@60fps(ISO-13818)
    MPEG-1 MP/HL up to 1080P@60fps(ISO-11172)
    RealVideo 8/9/10 up to 080P@60fps
    WebM up to VGA
    Multiple language and multiple format sub-title video support
    Video Post-Processing Engine:
    Supports HDR10 and HLG HDR processing
    Motion adaptive 3D noise reduction filter
    Advanced motion adaptive edge enhancing de-interlacing engine
    3:2 pull-down support
    Programmable poly-phase scalar for both horizontal and vertical dimension for zoom and windowing
    Programmable color management filter(to enhance blue,green,red,face and other colors)
    Dynamic Non-Linear Luma filter
    Deblocking filters
    Programmable color matrix pipeline
    video mixer: 2 video planes and 2 graphics planes per video output
    Video Output:
    Built-in HD 2.0b transmitter including both controller and PHY with CEC,HDR and HDCP 2.2,4Kx2K@60 max resolution output
    CVBS 480i/576i standard definition output
    Supports and standard SD/HD/FHD video output formats: 480i/p,576i/p,720p,1080i/p and 4Kx2K

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Audio Supported[/font]
    Audio Decoder and Input/Output
    Supports MP3,AAC,WMA,RM,FLAC,Ogg and programmable with 7.1/5.1 down-mixing
    12S audio interface supporting 2-channel input and 8-channel(7.1) output
    Built-in serial digital audio SPDIF/IEC958 output and PCM input/output
    Built-in stereo audio DAC
    Stereo digital microphone PDM input
    Supports concurrent dual audio stereo channel output with combination of analog+PCM or I2S+PCM

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Picture Supported[/font]

MJPEG and JPEG unlimited pixel resolution decoding(ISO/IEC-10918)
    Supports JPEG thumbnail,scaling,rotation and transition effects
    Supports*.mkv,*.wmv,*.mpeg,*.dat,*.avi,*.iso,*mp4,*.rm and*.jpg file formats

[th][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Interfaces[/font][/th]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]HDMI Port[/font]
    Standard HDMI 2.0

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Other Interfaces[/font]
    2*USB,1*HDMI,1*RJ45,1*SD card slot,1*AV,1*DC,1*SPDIF

[th][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Other Features[/font][/th]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Pre-installed Apps[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]ES File Explorer , Google Search, Google Maps, Browser, Gallery, Clock, Play Store , Calculator, Calendar, Video, Email, Gmail[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Other Functions[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Network Function: VUDU,Miracast,XBMC,Airplay,Skype chatting,Picasa,Youtube,Flicker,Facebook,Online movies,etc.
    Other feature: Free Internet searching,thousands of android applications,many kinds of games,etc.
    [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Power[/font]
    DC5V 2A(100-240V,50/60Hz)

[th][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Package Contents[/font][/th]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1 x TV box[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1 x IR Remote control[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1 x HDMI cable[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1 x Power adapter (A right AC Adapter will be sent as your shipping country)[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1 x User manual[/font]

and a quick video demonstration, which seems to show KODI being pretty snappy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Finally set up the Beelink MiniMXIII. Very nice box. Its absolutely tiny. The stock remotes actually grand, much better than I had expected.

Used ebay and got stung by Customs. In hindsight I should have used gearbest's EU warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Trond wrote: »
    Finally set up the Beelink MiniMXIII. Very nice box. Its absolutely tiny. The stock remotes actually grand, much better than I had expected.

Used ebay and got stung by Customs. In hindsight I should have used gearbest's EU warehouse.

Yeah, I got one a month ago, and they're not a bad box, for a relatively cheap price.

The interface is quiet nice, in fact I prefer it to the Minix.

Wifi is awful though, they seriously messed up there, both with the lack of an external antenna or much of an internal one.

I also find it a tad flakey at times, last week mine wouldn't work for hours because the clock didn't synch..........sounds like a first world problem, but many apps won't work without the clock giving them realtime information.I'm not sure how it righted itself, but there was lots of switching on and off, of the box router etc, and unplugging until it finally synced.

Another thing I've noticed is that the audio disappears from time to time, thats fixed by leaving it off for an hour and then switching it back on. I'm wondering if this maybe related to some sort of overheating issue.

Overall for about €30, I'm not complaining, for a second box its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Yeah, I got one a month ago, and they're not a bad box, for a relatively cheap price.

The interface is quiet nice, in fact I prefer it to the Minix.

Wifi is awful though, they seriously messed up there, both with the lack of an external antenna or much of an internal one.

I also find it a tad flakey at times, last week mine wouldn't work for hours because the clock didn't synch..........sounds like a first world problem, but many apps won't work without the clock giving them realtime information.I'm not sure how it righted itself, but there was lots of switching on and off, of the box router etc, and unplugging until it finally synced.

Another thing I've noticed is that the audio disappears from time to time, thats fixed by leaving it off for an hour and then switching it back on. I'm wondering if this maybe related to some sort of overheating issue.

Overall for about €30, I'm not complaining, for a second box its grand.

Have to say I've not had a moments issue with mine so far thankfully. Stuck Kodi and Mobdro on it. Im using it with wifi as well although i do have good broadband in the house. Defo worth the money I paid...

I prefer it to the Minix.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You can take that sort of blasphemy elsewhere!! :cool:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Specs and FAQ for Beelink MiniMXIII on Gearbest indicate MKV is not natively supported ... really?

BandMember wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You can take that sort of blasphemy elsewhere!! :cool:

:p

Just the UI I hasten to add:o:o:o

I find the heavy Black and green/yellow a tad overbearing.

The minix is a much more stable box though.

Trond wrote: »
    Have to say I've not had a moments issue with mine so far thankfully. Stuck Kodi and Mobdro on it. Im using it with wifi as well although i do have good broadband in the house. Defo worth the money I paid...

My BB is fine, I get 80MB+ download on all devices connected, on the Beelink its about 6/8MB, Upload on the other hand is about 24MB.

The wireless issues are well documented, see the Redskull review on Youtube for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

Any good forums to recommend for a newbie doing some research

s8n wrote: »
    Any good forums to recommend for a newbie doing some research

Depends on your type of "Research", if its hardware related, Freaktab is good.If its more Kodi/Kodi addons related, then SEO Michael is a good place to start.

• Advertisement

I see Geekbuying have a box for sale with the Amlogic S912 chipset, also comes with Android Marshmallow and 3Gb of RAM.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/R-BOX-Pro-Amlogic-S912-Android-6-0-Marshmallow-4K-60FPS-3G-16G-TV-BOX-370722.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=EDM&utm_content=&utm_campaign=DMWEB_Holiday_20160804

I'm tempted...........

Advertisement