Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ROS123 wrote: »
    Thank you BandMember, I took the plunge and ordered one of these MINIX Neo U1 Android Lollipop 5.1.1 yesterday, don't know a lot about them, but hey it will be interesting trying, (for a while anyway and then I will come back on hear a cry for help)

You took a good plunge. A great piece of kit. For a novice, it'll be pretty much plug and play. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dodzy wrote: »
    You took a good plunge. A great piece of kit. For a novice, it'll be pretty much plug and play. Enjoy.

Best place to get it? Tempted myself as its basically plug and play. I have real debrid and a sports sub so no need for anything fancy for me.

dahat wrote: »
    Best place to get it? Tempted myself as its basically plug and play. I have real debrid and a sports sub so no need for anything fancy for me.
    Pretty much bang on €100 with Amazon to your door.I'd say that's a pretty good deal without much investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

dodzy wrote: »
    Pretty much bang on €100 with Amazon to your door.I'd say that's a pretty good deal without much investigation.

My wife is going to divorce me :D

I now have a Minix x7, Minix x8h Plus and now a Minix Neo U1. I nearly have more Minix devices than I do kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

I got the Shield in the end. Yeah its great :D

I also with with a Fire TV Wifi direct remote instead of the Nvidia one. Works great and quite a bit cheaper.

• Advertisement

branners69 wrote: »
    My wife is going to divorce me :D

I now have a Minix x7, Minix x8h Plus and now a Minix Neo U1. I nearly have more Minix devices than I do kids!

You can never have enough minixes (I'm sure that's not even a word) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

i have the MXiii - which I love... use plex and some... netflix-like... apps for streaming movies from my NAS or the internet.

Kodi is installed on the box but is it just me or is it really awkward to use/navigate? (I'm using the default skin) - am i missing some trick with it? how come everyone raves about it? am I missing out on some basic configuration?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

nhur wrote: »
    i have the MXiii - which I love... use plex and some... netflix-like... apps for streaming movies from my NAS or the internet.

Kodi is installed on the box but is it just me or is it really awkward to use/navigate? (I'm using the default skin) - am i missing some trick with it? how come everyone raves about it? am I missing out on some basic configuration?

You need the right add-ons for kodi....seo-michael.co.uk is a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

neacy69 wrote: »
    You need the right add-ons for kodi....seo-michael.co.uk is a good place to start.

cheers - i've a bunch already but that site looks like it has some great ones! what's the best way to interact with it? i have a flymouse which appears not to be very useful when operating Kodi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

cheers - i've a bunch already but that site looks like it has some great ones! what's the best way to interact with it? i have a flymouse which appears not to be very useful when operating Kodi

Most flymouse have the capability to switch off the 6 axis function and use 4 axis, theres usually a button with a mouse symbol on it which toggles between 6 and 4, 4 is much simpler for Kodi.

• Advertisement

Wireless keyboard with integrated touchpad. Google rii8

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

I have the OpenELEC box. Tried setting it up on a new TV set and the remote doesn't seem to work, the only supported command is switch on/off. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

soirish wrote: »
    I have the OpenELEC box. Tried setting it up on a new TV set and the remote doesn't seem to work, the only supported command is switch on/off. Any tips?
    Is any pairing required or should it work out of the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Heya Folks!

I grabbed one of the nowtv boxes as a cheapy way of having a media streamer from a nas drive on a bit of a whim but it seems it's not totally suitable for what I want (nas doesn't support recent versions of plex so the nowtv is screwed). I'm thinking of getting one of the neo u1's as a replacement but I'd also like a really simple media player for my mum just as a player that can browse and play off usb keys - she's got no internet access so it's not a factor, just a really simple media player that has a remote and a simple browser plus decent format support. 4k not needed for now!

Any opinions / experiences much appreciated!

Cheers,

John

joconnell wrote: »
    Heya Folks!

I grabbed one of the nowtv boxes as a cheapy way of having a media streamer from a nas drive on a bit of a whim but it seems it's not totally suitable for what I want (nas doesn't support recent versions of plex so the nowtv is screwed). I'm thinking of getting one of the neo u1's as a replacement but I'd also like a really simple media player for my mum just as a player that can browse and play off usb keys - she's got no internet access so it's not a factor, just a really simple media player that has a remote and a simple browser plus decent format support. 4k not needed for now!

Cheers,

John

Cheap as chips and will do the job.Ships from UK too.http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheapest-Android-TV-Box-A95X-Android-5-1-Amlogic-S905-Quad-core-1G-8G-2-4G/32687503243.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.1.OTN2Ru&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_5_10057_10056_10037_10055_10054_9982_301_10059_10033_10058_10032_10017_10060_10061_10052_414_10062_10053_413_10050_10051,searchweb201603_4&btsid=dc888291-f3b0-43fb-8e43-598034ad3e40

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

joconnell wrote: »
    Heya Folks!

Cheers,

John

Side-loading TVplayer app on the Nowtv currently gives USB player support (H/T gunnerfitzy)

For a "cabled" hardware player - slightly dated (No 4K or H265/HEVC support) but the Micro 2+ is still a monster - fiddly remote requires a bit of target practice (helps if box is on a reflective surface).

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Much appreciated for the responses both of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

I had the MINIX Neo U1 delivered yesterday, Plug and Play you say, if only. Is https://seo-michael.co.uk/ a good place to start. I did get something from youtube and it is working to a fashion, but most of the addons are poor, I presume I can start again. What is the latest stable version of Kodi for android? I used 'Jarvis' Its hard to tell when looking at youtube, because they all say they are the latest stable version, but I guess it depends on when the video was recorded.

I am looking forward to have another go tonight, I was a little impatient last night to see what it could do and I didn't have a lot of time to work with it. It all looks so good on the Youtube videos. I am sure in time I will be suitably impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

I had the MINIX Neo U1 delivered yesterday, Plug and Play you say, if only. Is https://seo-michael.co.uk/ a good place to start. I did get something from youtube and it is working to a fashion, but most of the addons are poor, I presume I can start again. What is the latest stable version of Kodi for android? I used 'Jarvis' Its hard to tell when looking at youtube, because they all say they are the latest stable version, but I guess it depends on when the video was recorded.

I am looking forward to have another go tonight, I was a little impatient last night to see what it could do and I didn't have a lot of time to work with it. It all looks so good on the Youtube videos. I am sure in time I will be suitably impressed.

You can't talk about that stuff here,read the rules and same goes for linking to sites.Google search for what you want the internet is awash with easy tutorials.
    Also regarding Kodi for your box.....install SPMC instead.You'll have a much better experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

bazzz wrote: »
    You can't talk about that stuff here,read the rules and same goes for linking to sites.Google search for what you want the internet is awash with easy tutorials.
    Also regarding Kodi for your box.....install SPMC instead.You'll have a much better experience.

Apologies, I can't see what I mentioned that was wrong, I linked to a site mentioned earlier in the thread. I will be more careful in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Got a minix U1 myself last week and is working great.

Has anyone successfully connected a ps4 or Xbox 360 to this or a similar device either wired or wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Jarvis 16.1 is the latest: https://kodi.tv/download/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Dont know how good or bad it is but cheapest box seen so far for S912 chip and Android 6:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-BB2-Android-6-0-Amlogic-S912-KODI-17-0-TV-BOX-371022.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just ordered the Nexbox A95X 2gb/16gb off aliexpress supposed to ship from UK just buying t to see if it's any good €42 I think it's worth a punt!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Apologies, I can't see what I mentioned that was wrong, I linked to a site mentioned earlier in the thread. I will be more careful in future.
    i think the issue is that the site you linked to allows people to access copyrighted content illegally, and boards.ie can potentially be held liable for the content that is posted on the site, jusat as they would be for torrent related links etc.

My octacore box arrived today and the bloody thing won't switch on.Red LED on the power button but that's it.I'm more annoyed at the fact it's not even for me.At least the Ali seller I got it from shipped it from the UK so returning it won't take aeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bought a Minixmx off Ebay for around €60 delivered. It has an Open Elec, Libre Elec its called plus it updates OTA, looks a decent box so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

zerks wrote: »
    My octacore box arrived today and the bloody thing won't switch on.Red LED on the power button but that's it.I'm more annoyed at the fact it's not even for me.At least the Ali seller I got it from shipped it from the UK so returning it won't take aeons.

Is that the Z4 you linked earlier Zerks?
    Some consolation that it's not a dispute issue and you can return by pm possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Lads can anyone recommend a reasonably priced android box with a remote?
    I'm reasonable tech savy but some of the stuff mentioned in this thread is over my head.
    I use Kodi on my tablet and id like to be able to install a similar build to the android box if it's possible to do

Advertisement