Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Brego888 wrote: »
    Lads can anyone recommend a reasonably priced android box with a remote?
    I'm reasonable tech savy but some of the stuff mentioned in this thread is over my head.
    I use Kodi on my tablet and id like to be able to install a similar build to the android box if it's possible to do

I've mentioned it already on this thread but the Beelink Minimxii that I bought recently has left me pleasantly surprised, so much so that I'm using it more at the moment than my Minix.
    It's pretty cheap too, about €35 from Gearbest, Geekbuying, everbuying etc, and its also available fro Amazon an Ali I think.

You can back up your Kodi build, copy to a memory stick and use that to put it on a box. Search youtube for how to videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Anyone have any experiences of the Bqeel MXR Pro 4K Android 5.1 Tv Box Quad-Core [2GB/8GB] RK3229 with H.265 Video Decoder Android Box?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01H6ORG6I/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1472400475&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Bqeel&dpPl=1&dpID=410NoM6WxLL&ref=plSrch

Asking on behalf of a friend of mine who would prefer to buy from Amazon, and this one is fulfilled by Amazon for peace of mind.

I know you can get better for cheaper from AliExpress but it's just not convenient for him.

Seems a 2GB RAM box would be a good starter box for him,

I will be doing a factory reset and installing Kodi from scratch myself, as the pre loaded software is probably crap.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Doge wrote: »
    Anyone have any experiences of the Bqeel MXR Pro 4K Android 5.1 Tv Box Quad-Core [2GB/8GB] RK3229 with H.265 Video Decoder Android Box?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01H6ORG6I/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1472400475&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Bqeel&dpPl=1&dpID=410NoM6WxLL&ref=plSrch

Asking on behalf of a friend of mine who would prefer to buy from Amazon, and this one is fulfilled by Amazon for peace of mind.

I know you can get better for cheaper from AliExpress but it's just not convenient for him.

Seems a 2GB RAM box would be a good starter box for him,

I will be doing a factory reset and installing Kodi from scratch myself, as the pre loaded software is probably crap.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

Personally I'd be looking for 16Gb ROM, and I can't remember where I saw it or read it, but I thought I saw some reports of the Rockchip SOC which were pretty disparaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

Personally I'd be looking for 16Gb ROM, and I can't remember where I saw it or read it, but I thought I saw some reports of the Rockchip SOC which were pretty disparaging.

I'd be avoiding Rockchip devices too, have read bad reviews of them, Amlogic seem to be the way to go.

Thanks for the help lads, might persuade the friend to go further east like I do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Invincible wrote: »
    Is that the Z4 you linked earlier Zerks?
    Some consolation that it's not a dispute issue and you can return by pm possibly.

Yeah,this one: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Andoer-Z4-Android-5-1-TV-2G-16G-UHD-4K-2K-RK3368-Octa-Core-64-Bits/234552_32481112380.html?spm=2114.8147860.0.82.9oahqa

I was looking forward to tinkering with it and seeing what an octa core box can do,the quad core 2g Ram box I have is pretty nippy.
    Messaged the seller but they must actually take weekends off,no reply yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Whats the best box to go for that has 1080p minimum, USB for most video format playback and most importantly Miracast so I can cast from my Windows 10 desktop to TV

zerks wrote: »
    Yeah,this one: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Andoer-Z4-Android-5-1-TV-2G-16G-UHD-4K-2K-RK3368-Octa-Core-64-Bits/234552_32481112380.html?spm=2114.8147860.0.82.9oahqa

I was looking forward to tinkering with it and seeing what an octa core box can do,the quad core 2g Ram box I have is pretty nippy.
    Messaged the seller but they must actually take weekends off,no reply yet.

The saga continues,I had to send them a video of me trying to power on the box.Then got a link from them to new firmware to install,grand until I connected the box to the laptop to use the install tool.The tool did not even recognise the box as connected so installing firmware failed.I followed the "hold reset,connect to pc,plug in power" instructions to the letter and nothing happened.
    Told them I want to return it and get a working replacement or refund.I'll open a dispute if I don't get any joy with that.

DarraghR wrote: »
    Whats the best box to go for that has 1080p minimum, USB for most video format playback and most importantly Miracast so I can cast from my Windows 10 desktop to TV

Perhaps something like this: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/VONTAR-Z5-SUPERMAX-Amlogic-S912-Octa-Core-6-0-2GB-16GB-2-4G-5GHz-Dual-WIFI/207828_32709100383.html?spm=a2g01.8047711.2169899.29.O5M8Vw

Use parcel motel for faster delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

degsie wrote: »
    Do do PM handle import duty etc?

No - they return to sender afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

degsie wrote: »
    Do do PM handle import duty etc?

Some of the stores have EU warehouses if your on the website on desktop you can search for the box you want and filter it to see if any of the stores have Eu warehouse that way you can ship to ParcelMotel and not worry about customs, I am testing this at the moment with a Andriod box worth 42 euros I hope they will deliver to PM in the north this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Where does this box fall in the grand scheme of things?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H6ORG6I/ref=pe_2223511_148886351_em_1p_1_ti

Good, Bad, awful? Better available for the money? Need to budget higher?

Thanks

Liamalone wrote: »
    Where does this box fall in the grand scheme of things?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H6ORG6I/ref=pe_2223511_148886351_em_1p_1_ti

Good, Bad, awful? Better available for the money? Need to budget higher?

Thanks

From personal experience, I wouldn't go for a Rockchip device, get a vow with an Amlogic chip instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

definitely stay away from anything rockchip related, they're muck and their support is even muckier, going by whats been said on the KODI forums about them.

we're getting to a bit of a cusp at the moment, moving from Android 5.x (Marshmallow) to 6 (Nougat), which is much morew suited to use with a TV as google pours money into the whole cord cutting experience.

the problem is that it means we're moving into somewhat uncharted waters. there's a certain amount of going over the same stuff, with KODI well aware of what's going on and making the most of it, but new hardware is coming out now too, so we're moving from the more common S905's and Mali-450 devices to the newer S912 and Mali-820MP3 (no, not *that* mp3!) devices, and with an all round overhaul of the underlying hardware.

and again aside from the upsides of the technology making a little jump, there's also the downside of *potentially* unsupported hardware to worry about, with a re-run of a lot of the same issues we had with the previous generationof devices where the main players bring out their own kit and then the chinese cloning factories start kicking out cheaper knockoffs in huge numbers to cash in on the popularity, but with much lower QC and almost zero support if/when things go titsup.

I've just bought a couple of Wetek Hub's (the core is out of stock), but the hubs are still great boxes for KODI etc. even though they only have 1gb RAM, they're a solid box with great hardware and software support in both the KODI forums and from Wetek themselves, so i'm not bothered about only having 1gb of RAM and i'll be interested to see how they compare to the newer boxes with more ram in testing.

I've also bought a Beelink MiniMXIII (Android 5.1, S905, Mali-450, 2GB/16GB) box as they're very popular, and well supported KODI boxes and useful for light MAME gaming, plus the new Beeink GT1 (Android 6, 8-core S912, Mali-820MP3, 2GB/16GB) to see how well it performs compared to the MiniMXIII and the others.

Just for good measure, I've also got 3 usb gamepads in the form of the Gamesir G3s, the Terios S3 and the Xiaomi Gamepad to see how useful they are in a big screen android and/or MAME gaming environment, so I'll let everyone know how that goes. I'm currently playing the war wings beta on my phone, so i'm looking forward to kicking a$$ on the big screen with a gamepad in online deathmatches in that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

Would be really interested in hearing how you get on using those game pads for mame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Well lads,

I see loads of sellers on Adverts with boxes for €40...
    Are they any good??

I only wanna stream sports (Premiership and American Sports)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Well lads,

Are they any good??

I only wanna ************

Here we go again.......

Long story short, no they are not very good (what else would you expect for that price) and we can't talk about that sort of thing here or the thread will be closed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Looking into one of these Android boxes.

Due to the age of my av receiver and tv there are few "must haves" like spdif. Preferably the coax one as the box will replace a WD tv and it would be a matter of just unplug cables and plug this thing in. Can work with toslink so not hugely important as long as it does have spdif.

1 really important thing for me though is that i want it to use to watch football on tv.

What i am currently doing is blowing up the bet365 live stream to 250% and project that via hdmi on my tv from my pc. Mostly only for Feyenoord matches as blowing up the livestream also affects the main bet365 page.

Now i suppose this should be possible with a android box too, as long as you use the full site of bet365 and not mobile.

Reason i want to do it like this is because it is real time and legal in stead of delayed by 1 minute and illegal.
    It is the delay that is pissing me off.

Had made my mind up more or less by going for a Beelink minixiii but waited so long, they sold out from GB's uk warehouse.

So.... now i am looking at this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arrivals-Band2-4G-Bluetooth-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B01DIZSUOG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1473325613&sr=8-6&keywords=mini+m8s+ii

I always take long looking into things and once i have made my mind up, i want my choice to arrive asap.
    So getting the beelink from china isnt an option if that is going to take 4 weeks and/or duty hassle.

Experience with android is limited as i never really liked it but as this thing will basically only be used as media player, watch bet365 streams and very little else, i will live with it.

Any other suggestions welcome as long as it doesnt involve me having kill people or wait for post from china whether or not via courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

inforfun wrote: »
    What i am currently doing is blowing up the bet365 live stream to 250% and project that via hdmi on my tv from my pc. Mostly only for Feyenoord matches as blowing up the livestream also affects the main bet365 page.

Now i suppose this should be possible with a android box too, as long as you use the full site of bet365 and not mobile.

Reason i want to do it like this is because it is real time and legal in stead of delayed by 1 minute and illegal.

What makes you think streaming matches from an Android Box is any less illegal than streaming from your PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What makes you think streaming matches from an Android Box is any less illegal than streaming from your PC?

He is currently streaming from the Bet365 website as he is legally entitled to do, and just wants to continue to do this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Well lads,

Are they any good??

I only wanna stream sports (Premiership and American Sports)

They might not be the greatest but are usually sufficient to do the job in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

eamonnq wrote: »
    He is currently streaming from the Bet365 website as he is legally entitled to do, and just wants to continue to do this ?

Ah hes watching the stream available after placing a bet?

eamonnq wrote: »
    Ah hes watching the stream available after placing a bet?

Once you are logged in, which requires a deposit (not every time mind you), you have a certain amount of leagues that allow there matches to be streamed.
    Dont have to have a bet on the match to watch it either. That is only for horse races i think.
    Dutch league is one of them which is my main interest.
    Spanish another one.

So, nothing illegal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Bet365 have an android app so I don't see why it wouldn't work

Thought about that a bit more but wouldnt that be more aimed at phones and will it therefor work full screen on tv via an android box.

I did have that app on a Samsung Note phone i had for a while and the stream did go full screen on that one iirc.

Anyone else order the Nexbox A95X today?
    $32 from Banggood posted on hotukdeals but I found it afterwards from GearBest for only $26.

Edit: The Gearbest one only has 1GB of RAM

Nexbox A95X Amlogic S905X 2G DDR3 RAM 16G eMMC ROM Android 6.0 2.4G+5.0G Dual Band WiFi 4K 60fps Kodi 16.1 Bluetooth 4.0 HDR VP9 H.265 HEVC Android TV Box Mini PC
    https://banggood.app.link/FdmBhGpjxw

The deal is up on GearBest for the next 2 days:

Edit - this is a different model with only 1GB of RAM.

http://m.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_366819.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwu8m-BRDM8KTcjdj8qy0SJACdjSZpFlFI-HQYPcelUhVDfUPWYqPo8lKnrrlDESXMI6moGhoC127w_wcB

Shipping from China only so there's the chance of being hit by customs, but a low chance if you get the gearbest deal for $26.

Apparently it supports Miracast too!

Doge wrote: »
    Anyone else order the Nexbox A95X today?
    $32 from Banggood posted on hotukdeals but I found it afterwards from GearBest for only $26.

Nexbox A95X Amlogic S905X 2G DDR3 RAM 16G eMMC ROM Android 6.0 2.4G+5.0G Dual Band WiFi 4K 60fps Kodi 16.1 Bluetooth 4.0 HDR VP9 H.265 HEVC Android TV Box Mini PC
    https://banggood.app.link/FdmBhGpjxw

The deal is up on GearBest for the next 2 days:

http://m.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_366819.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwu8m-BRDM8KTcjdj8qy0SJACdjSZpFlFI-HQYPcelUhVDfUPWYqPo8lKnrrlDESXMI6moGhoC127w_wcB

Shipping from China only so there's the chance of being hit by customs, but a low chance if you get the gearbest deal for $26.

Apparently it supports Miracast too!

The gearbest link is just 1GB Ram though, so you got a better box.

Invincible wrote: »
    The gearbest link is just 1GB Ram though, so you got a better box.

Oh thanks for spotting that! Buying it for a friend so they'll be happier to hear that, I was wondering how GB were selling it a fair bit cheaper than BG alright.

I've updated my post with accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Streaming content is not illegal at all. Saving it on your hard drive permanently is, but not streaming it. Its been covered about a billion times before, so why are people still saying its illegal?

Advertisement