Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Streaming content is not illegal at all. Saving it on your hard drive permanently is, but not streaming it. Its been covered about a billion times before, so why are people still saying its illegal?

Nobody is saying it's illegal. They're saying that the Mods will close the thread if we talk about (as they have before).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Got that banggood one ordred.
    Doesnt have the spdif i need but i will just play around with this one, see if it does the things i want it to do.
    wdtv still fine for media player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Doge wrote:
    Anyone else order the Nexbox A95X today? $32 from Banggood posted on hotukdeals but I found it afterwards from GearBest for only $26.

Yeah i got one from bangood...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JayIre

Nvidia shield. Anyone have any experience with one and would they recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

JayIre wrote: »

Never used one but it's widely regarded as the best box out there.

Loads of reviews on Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/NVIDIA-Shield-Android-Box-Controller/dp/B015CM435I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

JayIre wrote: »

Here's my opinion on another thread.

See Here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Does €37 plus €4 delivery sound ok for a box with the below specs ?

Model: Mini M8S II
    Type: TV Box
    GPU: Mali-450
    Core: 2.0GHz,Quad Core
    RAM: 2G
    ROM: 8G
    Max. Extended Capacity: TF card up to 32GB (not included)
    Color: Black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

jonski wrote: »

€41 all in? Yeah, good price for a box that spec, maybe see if they have a 16gb version for a few quid more, but still, it's a decent buy

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

jonski wrote: »

€36.25 (+ approx €15.30 customs if caught) 3-4 week wait & UK plug power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Anyone have any experience with the Wetek Play 2??

https://wetek.com/product/wetek-play2

Seems to have decent specs and would be perfect for streaming. Any other good alternatives around the same price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This popped up on the main page on Aliexpress: http://brands.aliexpress.com/en?spm=2114.11010108.24.1.4wzMKf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

But it does not even use a Mali 820 GPU!!

Instead it uses the Penta-core ARM Mali-450 GPU according to http://www.memohi.com/memoufo.html
    2012 called, it wants its GPU back....

It is not as if there aren't enough boxes with the S912 processor (& Mali 820)
    http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/15/amlogic-s912-android-tv-boxes-list-so-far/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

zerks wrote: »
    This popped up on the main page on Aliexpress: http://brands.aliexpress.com/en?spm=2114.11010108.24.1.4wzMKf
    Can't be long now for the Mi Box to pop up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The seller that I got the Z4 box from is sending a replacement after finally conceding that the power button was faulty.I only copped after the fact that it was a Rockchip device,they did however send me a link for the latest firmware for Rockchip devices as they thought that was the problem despite me telling them umpteen times I couldn't turn the damn thing on.

zerks wrote: »
    I'm convinced half the people selling these boxes don't know what they're selling

If and when Wetek or Videostrong http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/26/videostrong-kii-pro-android-set-top-box-with-dvb-t2-dvb-s2-tuners-comes-with-2gb-ram/ update their boxes to S912, I'm in there.

As good as Kodi and Netflix are, it's great to have satellite tuners built into the box. I know i could use satellite/saorview USB tuners but they can be messy to set up and don't work some earlier Android kernels.:mad:

Edit: Feck it, it does have such a box all along
    http://www.videostrong.com/productshow.asp?id=924&sid=248
    20160921151752371.jpg

inforfun wrote: »
    Got that banggood one ordred.
    Doesnt have the spdif i need but i will just play around with this one, see if it does the things i want it to do.
    wdtv still fine for media player.

Cancelled that one. back ordered and no outlook when it would be in stock again.
    So ordered a beelink instead. From the eu so no customs hassle either.
    And optical out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

iba wrote: »
    Can't be long now for the Mi Box to pop up too.

This showed up on my news feed this morning .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Can anyone with a wetek or dvb s box confirm that you can run kodi independent and then switch over to free view channels or do you view the free view within kodi? By free view is it also all the stations that would be picked up with one of the sat boxes in for example power city?

Is the wetek play 2 the best one available at present or any other recommendations that have somewhat of a community behind them?

5500 wrote: »
    Can anyone with a wetek or dvb s box confirm that you can run kodi independent and then switch over to free view channels or do you view the free view within kodi? By free view is it also all the stations that would be picked up with one of the sat boxes in for example power city?

Is the wetek play 2 the best one available at present or any other recommendations that have somewhat of a community behind them?

While I can't really recommend one,look for one with more than 1GB of RAM.Otherwise it'll be fairly sluggish.You can get your regular Astra freewiew stations or whatever your dish is pointed at.You launch the channels outside Kodi or you can add a shortcut inside KODI and launch from there.
    Lots of these boxes also have DVB T2 also,meaning you can plug a Saorview aerial in too.

Amino make a couple of these The A3 and A3 Combo but as far as I can remember.So you get Android and Sat+terrestrial options.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Cancelled that one. back ordered and no outlook when it would be in stock again.
    So ordered a beelink instead. From the eu so no customs hassle either.
    And optical out.

It came back in stock yesterday, the 26th.

I emailed them about my order and they said its processing now and not to worry.
    Time will tell i guess!

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    It came back in stock yesterday, the 26th.

I emailed them about my order and they said its processing now and not to worry.
    Time will tell i guess!

Oh... wel i tried cancelling it but didnt really happen so decided to try again later at home.
    Will see.... might end up with 2 of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

bazzz wrote: »
    While I can't really recommend one,look for one with more than 1GB of RAM.Otherwise it'll be fairly sluggish.You can get your regular Astra freewiew stations or whatever your dish is pointed at.You launch the channels outside Kodi or you can add a shortcut inside KODI and launch from there.
    Lots of these boxes also have DVB T2 also,meaning you can plug a Saorview aerial in too.

Amino make a couple of these The A3 and A3 Combo but as far as I can remember.So you get Android and Sat+terrestrial options.

Thanks for that, I've got an older mx3 here that's the s812 chip 2gb/8gb and even that can be sluggish at times with android, ideally would like an upgrade but with the sat option too.

I've heard of zgemma and openbox mentioned too, are these on the same line or are they solely sat tuners

Thanks for that, I've got an older mx3 here that's the s812 chip 2gb/8gb and even that can be sluggish at times with android, ideally would like an upgrade but with the sat option too.

I've heard of zgemma and openbox mentioned too, are these on the same line or are they solely sat tuners

You should look into Enigma 2 capable boxes,like some of the zgemma,mutant,Vu+ boxes(more premium priced).
    With the Enigma2 software there are options for addons etc,etc. I'll stop here because it's going off topic a bit.😉

I got the Wetek Play months ago. I'm Running Wetek OS on it.
    Through Wetek OS
    You can receive the FREE-TO-AIR channels through Wetek Theatre which takes it feed from the satellite disk feed into the DVB-S tuners. The Wetek Theater is launched as an app on Android.

Kodi is also launched as an Android app on Wetek OS.
    So yes, they are separate, but it's not very efficient at switching between an add-on on Kodi and the Wetek Theatre and back again.

The box is fine as a device for your second TV, not for your main TV. Firstly the remote control they give you is not ideal for Wetek OS to say the least. Ideally, the box should have a combi tuner, so you can get both terrestrial and satellite for Ireland, like the Argos Mini.

Whatever you buy, just remember the world is moving away from AVI,WMV, H263, H264 towards just H265 and VP9, so make sure whatever GPU you get it can play both H265 and VP9, and preferably 10-bit / 60 Frames Per Second.
    Many cheaper boxes say H265 but don't say 10-bit so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Oh... wel i tried cancelling it but didnt really happen so decided to try again later at home.
    Will see.... might end up with 2 of those things.

Just got the shipping notification and tracking number about an hour after my last post so happy days.

If and when Wetek or Videostrong http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/26/videostrong-kii-pro-android-set-top-box-with-dvb-t2-dvb-s2-tuners-comes-with-2gb-ram/ update their boxes to S912, I'm in there.

Edit: Feck it, it does have such a box all along
    http://www.videostrong.com/productshow.asp?id=924&sid=248
    20160921151752371.jpg

I contacted VideoStrong direct - their explanation of the whether the box could take BOTH dvb-t and dvb-s tuners simultaneously was rather unclear.

Also, I'm not happy that the box only allows me ENCODE in H264 and not H265, but feck it, I guess I could put up with H264 for recording some programs..:rolleyes:

Unfortunately they ONLY ship a minimum of 10 boxes.
    The "unit cost" under such a group buy is USD 55 excluding postage from China & any customs falling due.

So that would bring the price up greatly...unless I could tell Customs that the boxes were for Apple Corp and then the Irish Government would probably waive all taxes as they typically do for Apple

Doge wrote: »
    Just got the shipping notification and tracking number about an hour after my last post so happy days.

Yep....

I will have choice soon. Banggood send theirs too.

Unlike Wetek, looks like Videostrong has both dvb-s and dvb-t at the same time - one pet hate with the Wetek is that you could only have dvb-s OR dvb-t tuners but NOT both.

Here is an older Videostrong model
    http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_323878.html
    1455934068888141.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fitz213

Does any old USB tuner work with a Wetek 2 for Soarview? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

I contacted VideoStrong direct - their explanation of the whether the box could take BOTH dvb-t and dvb-s tuners simultaneously was rather unclear.

Also, I'm not happy that the box only allows me ENCODE in H264 and not H265, but feck it, I guess I could put up with H264 for recording some programs..:rolleyes:

Unfortunately they ONLY ship a minimum of 10 boxes.
    The "unit cost" under such a group buy is USD 55 excluding postage from China & any customs falling due.

So that would bring the price up greatly...unless I could tell Customs that the boxes were for Apple Corp and then the Irish Government would probably waive all taxes as they typically do for Apple

I have the wetek play box and it works well. Love the tie in between kodi and tv using pbnigma image. Would love a box with upgraded hardware.. Would be interested in one of these if there was support for it out there

Advertisement